ty all for the kind thoughts

loveelvis
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Warning About The Poor Dog On The Table

[Post New]by loveelvis on Dec 12, 10 12:31 PM
and what about cats, if you said so?
my lovely cat is ill with diabetis, i have to make him two insuline shots a day.
it's a great desper for me, i watch him going weaker and weaker, losing his back legs ability, trying to jump (as cats use to do) but never reaching only a chair.
so i understand what you have to bear.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Dec 13, 10 1:10 PM
Cats become part of the family too. I lost a longhair black cat one summer. and found the poor baby on the highway, so I feel your loss too!

Just wanted to add I talked with the developers of this game and they were very nice to quickly reply to me and explain on playing out the rest of the dog scene, Sherlock Holmes is very humane and caring for the dog on the table. It was just a surprise to me seeing the dog on the table all of a sudden.

Its a really great game otherwise!! Not too easy, objects were not small but very cleverly hidden and the game had a map to let you know if a room needed completed.

diwlaw
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by diwlaw on Dec 14, 10 2:52 PM
I too just lost my beloved collie (13 yrs) so i can understand the distress that this might have on game play.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Dec 15, 10 3:38 PM
This game can get pretty gruesome at times. I agree that the dog was disturbing. There is also a lot of blood in other scenes. You are investigating murder scenes and they can be pretty graphic. I was not too grossed out by the blood, but some other people might be, so let that serve as a warning to those who have not purchased the game yet.

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 3:45:19 PM PST

magmae
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by magmae on Dec 16, 10 7:54 AM
Thanks for the warning, I was just convinced to purchase my 1st CE and read your thread. We have an aging springer spaniel and when it comes to animals I get an emotional wreck. So no, I'm not going to purchase this game.
Just another reason to read the forums before purchasing any game.
Thanks again!

kinget
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by kinget on Dec 16, 10 9:32 AM
I love dogs and have lost several recently, so I wondered what was going to happen, but there was no image of the dog suffering in any way. Compared to some scenes in other games this wasn't an issue for me, but I think having this thread was a good idea.
Very sorry for your loss. I'm still mourning my boys: my little poodle died 2 years ago and my beagle died last spring. My husband doesn't want to get another dog, since he has to do most of the care, so I'm feeling more than a little bereft.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Dec 16, 10 10:10 AM
I am sorry about the loss of your pet. I have lost pets and know how devastating this can be.

However... I would like to suggest that the other alternative is to pretend that these sorts of things never happened.... For me, it is just part of the story-- not something to be avoided. I do not think that we should ignore or avoid the past (and present in this case) in order to protect sensitivities. Rather than get upset about this fictional use of animal vivisection, why not work to raise awareness of actual animal cruelty that occurs today? Every day domestic animals are kidnapped for research, clubbed to death (and even skinned alive) in order to make fur coats, starved to death by people who decide to leave them behind in empty apartments, beaten by bored teenagers, crushed under high heels.... Why not raise awareness of these travesties? This would be a far better tribute to a beloved pet.

IMO- If we are willing to censor than we are also willing to ignore. If we ignore than terrible things continue to happen. We can not avoid things simply because they are unpleasant or disturbing. We should fight what disturbs us.

Sorry, but this is how I feel.
-Kala

Edited on 12/16/2010 at 10:14:35 AM PST

Creidiki
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Creidiki on Dec 19, 10 11:59 AM
I like Kala's idea. Those of us who are disturbed by the image of the dog on the table (and I'm pretty sure no actual dog was harmed in the creation of that screenshot!) would be well advised to go spend an hour volunteering at your local shelter. Even if you can't adopt a pet yourself, for whatever reason, you can make a homeless animal's life that much better by spending an hour walking, brushing or just sitting and giving company to an animal with nothing but hope to live on.

That said, I do think it was a profoundly stupid and insensitive thing for the designers to put in the game. I wish I hadn't bought it already, because I don't like the idea of my money going to subsidize idiots. I need to rethink my practice of buying a game and playing it first, and only going to the forums when I get stuck. Add me to the list of people warning animal lovers out there who may be contemplating buying this game.

I like the game itself. In particular, the H.O. scenes are beautifully put together. Some objects clearly fit the description of the thing being sought, but aren't the right one -- like an archer's "bow" in the picture when you're supposed to be searching for a tied piece of ribbon -- that sort of thing. I wish these didn't count as "wrong" clicks, but oh well.

Edited on 12/19/2010 at 12:01:28 PM PST

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Dec 30, 10 4:21 PM
I'm a cocker owner. Over the years I've had the pleasure of raising eleven of them. Thumper died in a "hit by car" when he was three. Spook died from Cushings when he was seventeen. Current pups, Pistol and Lacey are nine and five respectively. I love, and have loved all my kids. I was not disturbed by the scene in question. Reason: It's a game, and I realize that's all it is. I see no more advocacy of violence against animals/dogs than the opening scene advocated violence against wormen.

[Post New]by Bumpyroads on Jan 1, 11 3:57 PM
nwr1948x wrote:
abarrett wrote:Thanks for the details. It does sound like it was an unnecessary scene.
TOTALLY UNNECESSARY ! it's fine to say don't play the game when
you've just spent £5.86 for it.
Couldn't agree with you more about this scene being unnecessary. These games are supposed to be enjoyable and the shock of seeing prospective animal torture was distressing to say the least.

[Post New]by Bumpyroads on Jan 1, 11 3:57 PM
nwr1948x wrote:
abarrett wrote:Thanks for the details. It does sound like it was an unnecessary scene.
TOTALLY UNNECESSARY ! it's fine to say don't play the game when
you've just spent £5.86 for it.
Couldn't agree with you more about this scene being unnecessary. These games are supposed to be enjoyable and the shock of seeing prospective animal torture was distressing to say the least.

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Jan 13, 11 5:55 PM
"Couldn't agree with you more about this scene being unnecessary. These games are supposed to be enjoyable and the shock of seeing prospective animal torture was distressing to say the least"

For crying out loud! No animal was hurt in the creation of this scene which is necessary in order to complete the game.

What portions of the game do you suggest we delete? There is obvious violence against women. Every female character is the story dies a brutal death. Why aren't you complaining about that?

The lack of common sense astounds me.

[Post New]by lindylou_1 on Jun 2, 11 10:03 PM
That is the only part of the game that I don't like going into. Seeing the dog tied up etc. actually make me feel physically sick. It is as if the room really does have a bad smell. I try to skip through it without looking into too much detail what is in the jars etc. Rest of the game is fantastic. Does anyone know the moves in the problem on the cabinet door in James' room where you have to move the brown and black panels to opposite sides..

Go to: