[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 6, 11 6:44 PM
Bump

cyndyk2
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

Re:"Cannons in swamp" explanations compiled here

[Post New]by cyndyk2 on Jan 11, 11 8:29 AM
Cantorplay, the I, V, X buttons stand for 1, 5 and 10 in Roman numerals. And yes, you have to press them EXACTLY as they are written on the map, or they won't work. If the map says XXXVI (36), you have to press XXXVI or it won't work. As WilJul pointed out umpteen times, : ), the map changes every time you play and for every player, so you can't use the numbers in the walkthrough or in any spoilers; you have to look at your OWN map, and believe me, that can entail serious eyestrain! I've played the game through twice now, and it gets worse each time. : ) That rain doesn't help a bit, either.

I actually found the 13th skull FIRST before getting the rest from the cannons in the swamp; just made more sense to me to use the metal detector to dig up the coins and go fetch that skull from the basement before going out to the swamp. But that's me; I hate going back and forth all the time.

Once you have all 13 skulls, look in your Case Book (back up a few pages) for the placement of the skulls, and go to the clearing in the swamp where the alligator nest is. Put the numbered skulls in the nest according to the diagram in your book.

Cyndy K.

Maryish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Maryish on Jan 11, 11 5:43 PM
I have tried several times putting the numerals in from left to right still nothing. I have checked out the pictures 3 times to make sure that I have the right numerals. I only get the first 2 dots to go down using the first numeral. When I put the other numerals in nothing happens. Completely lost at this point.

Any help would be fantastic as I am anxious to finish up the game.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 11, 11 6:13 PM
Maryish wrote:I have tried several times putting the numerals in from left to right still nothing. I have checked out the pictures 3 times to make sure that I have the right numerals. I only get the first 2 dots to go down using the first numeral. When I put the other numerals in nothing happens. Completely lost at this point.

Any help would be fantastic as I am anxious to finish up the game.
There are a couple of ways to get the numbers wrong. Please read these posts again. Everything you could possibly want to know about these cannons is in here.

160meters
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by 160meters on Jan 12, 11 12:01 AM
The first two cannons were easy. Third has wasted three hours of my time. arghhhh, maybe it's the computer, 64 bit, 7, i7 processor, 18 GB RAM, running Avast.

I also can get the first two buttons to depress but as soon as I click XVIII for the tree at the bottom, those two buttons pop up.

took pix of map, opened it in Photoshop, the, copied the scraps on the side, placed all six over their corresponding pix. Wrote down the numbers once again. STILL won't work.

I'm sure it must be me, but I think I've done the homework accurately. I certaily would like to talk to the person who designed this, they also used Photoshop, there must be a script that's not running on my computer. Sure is a PIA.

Weren't there some games that were fun? I can't recall after this monster won't work.
- Sue

Edited on 01/12/2011 at 1:36:19 AM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 12, 11 7:57 AM
Hi Sue! Yes, it sounds as though your XVIII is incorrect. I'd double check you are looking at the correct tree, a lot of them look very much alike. You can zoom in on portions of the map by double clicking it. Also check that you didn't just accidentally write down the number incorrectly, XVII instead of XVIII, for example, I made that mistake. Wish I could help more!

Lilly1933
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Lilly1933 on Jan 12, 11 2:23 PM
I want to thank everyone who was so helpful in helping me get the skulls from the cannons. As my eyesight isn't what it used to be I used a small hand magnifying glass and believe me that with your instructions and my m.g. I got them all, Whoopee!!! Thank you!

Now if I could just get the metal detector to find the 13th skull.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 12, 11 9:10 PM
Woohoo! Way to persevere Lilly1933!!!

Let me know if you still need help finding that metal detector!

160meters
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by 160meters on Jan 12, 11 11:19 PM
Struggle: In Photoshop I copied the little stamp that contained the branch of the big tree at the very bottom of the screen. And in my map it shows XVIII. I compared the little copy of the stamp, at 75% transparency over all of the other trees and it simply does not match.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll even publish the screenshot here:

[removed by moderator]

I need to find a solution to this, and probably by tomorrow I'll have it all figured out. The 2 cannons were soo easy!

Edited on 01/13/2011 at 12:07:49 PM PST

160meters
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by 160meters on Jan 12, 11 11:25 PM
Suspecting a mistake or a sneaky trick in the game, I did not give up.

Sequence should have been:

IXXX II III XVIII XVI XXIX

IXXX II IIIII XVIII XVI XXIX <--- KEPT ADDING, when it would not work, started over and tried a "V" then tried an "X"

So you tell me, is the second figure an III and third figure an IIII ??

It takes seven I's to make it work. Who makes these things for us old ladies, huh?

Sue

Edited on 01/12/2011 at 11:25:53 PM PST

160meters
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by 160meters on Jan 13, 11 11:41 AM
WilJul wrote:Hi Sue! Yes, it sounds as though your XVIII is incorrect. I'd double check you are looking at the correct tree, a lot of them look very much alike. You can zoom in on portions of the map by double clicking it. Also check that you didn't just accidentally write down the number incorrectly, XVII instead of XVIII, for example, I made that mistake. Wish I could help more!

I am positive I did not make a mistake, see my next posts. tnx - sue

[Post New]by dudleysore on Jan 13, 11 12:00 PM
WilJul wrote:Hi Sue! Yes, it sounds as though your XVIII is incorrect. I'd double check you are looking at the correct tree, a lot of them look very much alike. You can zoom in on portions of the map by double clicking it. Also check that you didn't just accidentally write down the number incorrectly, XVII instead of XVIII, for example, I made that mistake. Wish I could help more!

I had the EXACT same problem for like ever.............It took me seriously about 13 hours to get past this part, and that's just loco!!!!!!!

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Jan 13, 11 12:22 PM
These comments about the numbers made me laugh. The tricky part was identifying the six pieces of the map. Some were easy and some were tough. You just had to be careful writing down the numbers on a piece of paper.

This part took me a hour, including opening a bottle of beer. I did not let that stupid man tell me to hurry up.

Edited on 01/13/2011 at 12:23:36 PM PST

herespz3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by herespz3 on Jan 13, 11 1:28 PM
Thanks for the info, the game was getting frustrating until I came across this forum, I was able to complete the game and totally enjoyed the final puzzle, I was kinda of hoping that I would use the gumbo (simmering on the stove) and the sleeping potion on Lawson and his wife, and that the Lees were cops who arrests them after the treasure is found and enriches the town. But seeing the end result it was worth it!!

herespz3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by herespz3 on Jan 13, 11 1:28 PM
Thanks for the info, the game was getting frustrating until I came across this forum, I was able to complete the game and totally enjoyed the final puzzle, I was kinda of hoping that I would use the gumbo (simmering on the stove) and the sleeping potion on Lawson and his wife, and that the Lees were cops who arrests them after the treasure is found and enriches the town. But seeing the end result it was worth it!!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 13, 11 5:03 PM
160meters wrote:Suspecting a mistake or a sneaky trick in the game, I did not give up.

IXXX II IIIII XVIII XVI XXIX <--- KEPT ADDING, when it would not work, started over and tried a "V" then tried an "X"

It takes seven I's to make it work. Who makes these things for us old ladies, huh?

Sue

Hmm, sorry Sue, I'm not sure what to tell you. The only thing I know for sure is that the third figure is definitely not a IIII because that is not a valid Roman Numeral. 4 is written as IV. And looking at your other numerals you have listed as the first one IXXX, which is also not a valid Roman Numeral, and probably should be switched around to be XXXI. But are you saying seven I's made it work and you are past this part now? If so, I have no idea how you did it, but glad you did!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 13, 11 11:01 PM
Bump

[Post New]by holimom on Jan 14, 11 10:46 AM
160meters wrote:Suspecting a mistake or a sneaky trick in the game, I did not give up.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I don't know if you figured this out or not, but from what you have written above...I would enter the first number "lXXX" backwards. In other words enter "XXXI". The first way, as far as I know, is not a valid number. Backwards its 31. So try entering it backwards if you haven't gotten past this.

Go to: