MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

Re: Why Can't I build Houses Or Even Put Up Tents For My People, or Build More Wells?

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Dec 29, 10 2:56 PM
I decided to play this game again today. It is still a fun game.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

Re: Why Can't I build Houses Or Even Put Up Tents For My People, or Build More Wells?

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 29, 10 6:44 PM
Hello everyone, I'm sorry to be getting back to you so late and thank you all for your replies,and I do apologize for going immediately on the defensive when I felt I was being attacked for posting this in Chit-Chat instead of the Westward forum,and for not being clear enough with my request for info.

I have progressed a lot as far as I got a Sheriff and deputies and even got some gunslingers on my side and did away with most of the bandits,but alas it was all for naught! I was so caught up in getting along so well that like a dummy,I forgot to save a single time,and the last 3 bandits did my Sheriff and his men in,LOL!

In fact it is now 9:36 PM and I just got my turkey enchiladas made and in the oven,and they are ready to come out in one more minute. That was supposed to be supper for tonight! Ah well tomorrow is another day!

Is has been so frigid cold here that there is nothing better to do. It's sure too cold to want to run around with my friends.We are all hibernating,until tomorrow evening,at least,when we are supposed to get a heat wave of just above freezing!

Anyway, thank you all for sharing,now if I just don't get too discouraged that I can't seem to keep my food supply in the double digits,no matter how many windmills, ,and farms or even a ranch I have it's just one calamity after another,and that makes it more work than fun,but for now I'm trying.

KRSPDS
Shark
Shark
10,491 Posts

[Post New]by KRSPDS on Dec 29, 10 11:03 PM
I'll make some simple suggestions in regards to your food supply - it may not help now but for future reference. 1) ranches produce more food than farms, 2) windmills only benefit farms, 3) build a trading post and buy food if you need to, and finally 4) often (and I'm not sure with the original game) have multiple farms, lumber camps, mining whatevers with only one person employed there is worth more to you than one or two fully employed places - this is most certainly the case will all 4 sequels (I am currently playing the 5th installment). Also, it is often helpful to have more gunslingers than sheriffs or deputies as you do not need to feed gunslingers, but you do need to feed lawmen. If you look at your town stats (one of the buttons on your screen - it will say town stats when you hover over it), it will tell you how much food you are producing and how much you are using - this helps to plan what food production needs to be built.

I'll also let you know that you need to save 1000 gold twice in Hope River, once halfway through the level and once at the end. If you don't want to repeat the tutorial save it just as you enter Hope River and start from here each time. Enjoy the game!

bellagoth
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by bellagoth on Dec 29, 10 11:58 PM
Whew - I'm glad everyone's getting along now! I was afraid to respond earlier.
I've played Westward tons of times. In fact, I liked it at least as much, if not more, than the sequels. I usually hang out in specific game forums, but I'll try to keep an eye out in the Westward forum too, in case you run into more trouble. Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. Just so you know, if your people are already employed somewhere, they will go wandering around the map and often get stuck marching in place behind trees and such, and that doesn't affect production. The farms and businesses where they work are still producing just the same as when the farmers are seen raking wheat. Have fun and good luck!

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 30, 10 6:02 AM
Wow KRSPDS those are fantastic tips,THANK YOU! You could write a great walkthrough for the game!

bellagoth thank you for that info as well. I would not have known any of this for sure.

I have no doubt that the info you ladies shared will be a HUGE help to others as well.

Thank you so much!

KRSPDS
Shark
Shark
10,491 Posts

[Post New]by KRSPDS on Dec 30, 10 3:51 PM
You are most welcome - if you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask. For the information of both you and any other new players, there are 3 secret levels - one in Hope River, one is Lightning Bluff and the last one is in Paradise Falls. These levels do not add anything to the game, but they are fun.

Good Luck and Enjoy your game

barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Dec 30, 10 4:06 PM
I saw this post and since I've played 3 of the games so far thought I might be of some assistance. But. . . wow, I didn't know what to say with the initial posts. Sounds like you are well on your way.

Many of us love this series because it is both intelligent and thrilling. It is one of my favorites!

Good luck and enjoy.

Happy New Year to all the Fishies in the Pond!

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 30, 10 7:07 PM
I guess I should let readers who are led here by my thread title know,that the obvious(now) answer is that one must have enough wood and/or gold because these items get locked/unlocked throughout the game depending on your resources.

The biggest help to me on keeping the food supply up,was thanks to the tip from KRSPDS about ranches being better for that than farms,so be sure to get a ranch as soon as possible!

I am back where I lost everything last night,and quit for the evening. I am on the quest to get the bandits,but I got my sheriff and his men killed again!

I had 5 gunslingers hired and only two deputies,but the hired guns won't go with you on the quest,so that left me with two deputies,and the three gunslingers who will join you. This time I saved the game before we left and tomorrow when I start I will hire at least 2-3 more deputies to go with me.

I also have to figure out where a treasure is. I know it's in the SW of Hope River where the bandits hang out,but I will take my gunslingers over there and clean them out when I get back,LOL!

It's much nicer playing when everyone isn't leaving your town from hunger,but I have several deadbeats who don't want to work anywhere! Sometimes when you try a different place they will work there,but I have a few who won't work period, I hope they 'do' leave,LOL!

Edited on 12/30/2010 at 7:08:21 PM PST

KRSPDS
Shark
Shark
10,491 Posts

[Post New]by KRSPDS on Dec 30, 10 11:08 PM
I have found in the past, and it is the same in all the sequels, that if you don't have enough housing then the citizens will not work - at least not for long. If I can suggest, check whether all your houses, camps, farms and ranches are fully occupied. Also if you click on a citizen, then their information comes up including picture of where they live and work. Maureen, Marion, Isreal and Catherine Duckworth, never move once you place them (they never go walk-abouts) - are these the ones that you are talking about? If you are sure that the citizens that don't appear to be doing any work are not the 4 I mentioned, have housing and no picture of where they work, then I would think that either they are non controllable characters that come to give you quests or that there is a glitch in your game.

I hope that you can continue to enjoy the game . Good Luck and have a wonderful new year

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Jan 1, 11 5:39 AM
I think the sheriff and deputies/gunslingers are not assigned to a house or a particular job, so don't bother.

After a while you will master the fine points of the game, like you can't build a ranch until you have a general store. Build a well before making a farm. As your town grows, you will find more buildings become unlocked.

The fires and tornadoes were fun to experience, just remember to repair any damaged buildings. Although it is disturbing to see your town get trashed, you learn to deal with it as part of the game, not the end of the world.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jan 2, 11 4:33 PM
soblessed57 wrote:I NEVER put a question in the game forum because almost without fail your post will immediately die, never to be looked at once it's placed in it's game forum!

Don't believe me, look how many questions NEVER receive a reply once a thread is placed in those specific game forums! That is EXACTLY why most post their questions in Chit-Chat!

You don't really think people go to those forums just to help answer people's questions,do you? The only reason people EVER go to those forums is to see what is said about a game they are interested in,or to see if a problem they are having is mentioned there. They are not going there thinking "Gee I wonder if I can answer anyone's questions about this game"! I have found answers to game problems in the forums at times,but most of the time it was a thread started in Chit-Chat,with several replies,and then moved to it's forum,or often I have found the thread in Chit-Chat
My experience is exactly the reverse of yours, sir-or-madam-as-the-case-may-be. I usually become well-versed in whatever game I'm playing--often thru reading the forum for that game--and the only time I see a question posted in Chit-Chat is when I do a search and it happens that I find a thread there, which is rare!

In the game forums, I see few questions that have gone unanswered for long, and the majority of those are either long after the game is originally released, very short on info, or both.

So either I am exceedingly blessed in the games I choose, or you are talking through your 10-gallon hat, or both.

Edited on 01/02/2011 at 4:35:26 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jan 2, 11 5:15 PM
soblessed57 wrote:Under 'Forums Home:Most Recent Discussions' ~ Go down the 5 pages of thread names and how many of the threads say "Chit-Chat Corner" compared to Game Title Forums?
Quite a lot! But unless the thread names are grossly misleading, they virtually all belong in that venue, not in a game-specific (GS) forum. (I did look at all those that I thought might be misplaced.)

As of today, on the 1st page, no ( 0 ) postings are GS questions asked in CCC. About 10 are in GS forums (GSFs), most but not all of them with answers already. If we waited a day or two, I'd just about bet money that those currently w/o answers would get them by then.

On the 2nd, somewhat older, page, 1 GS message is posted in CCC and has received no responses. Other GS q'ns are in GSFs

On the 3rd of 5, nearly all posts are in GSFs, and all have received answers.

Similarly on the 4th page, except that one post in CCC fails to mention the name of a game; the 1st respondent calls the OP on that, and a Moderator follows up by recommending general posting(s) about general game difficulties.

And the 5th also is like unto the 3rd.

It is theoretically possible that final location is often caused by diligent Moderators repositioning q'ns after they have first appeared in CCC. But since that was not the case in any of the q'ns on p. 5, I have not bothered checking the other 4 pp.

So thank you, soblessed, for suggesting an illuminating survey. It shows that GS questions are overwhelmingly posted in GSFs, not CCC, and that they do receive answers--tho checking of what quality would require not only expending more time but having more knowledge of the games involved than I can muster. And, frankly, I feel like I've invested enough effort toward proving my position and demolishing yours.

I'm utterly certain that you've held that position honestly up to now. But, fellow gamer and poster, isn't it time to drop it and start posting in the GSFs like (apparently) nearly everybody else?

Edited on 01/02/2011 at 5:25:09 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jan 2, 11 5:21 PM
memawclay2 wrote:As for your well, it should show up in your build menu. If not, I would completely remove the game from your install menu and re-download.
Before I'd recommend going that far, I'd suggest using the left-arrow on the building display to make sure that it wasn't hiding at the beginning of the row!

@ memawclay: It's not often I can add anything to one of your answers, but I thought this bit was worth saying. Besides, it gives me an excuse to say thank you for all your answers that I have NOT commented on one way or another!

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jan 4, 11 9:18 AM
Hi fishies,

Just popping in with a quick reminder to be respectful of other fishies when making any point or comment as per the FAQ page:

Treat other posters with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other forum users will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Thanks and hope you're all enjoying Westward !

bfgImbrium

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Jan 6, 11 8:24 AM
Getting into the finer points like buying windmills and gazebos. LOL.

Outhouses to prevent plague. Ranches. Plenty of wells. Even had a church!

All I can say is save your game wisely and try to learn from your earlier mistakes.
Like keep you critical guy in back cause if he ends up dead you lose. The dude on horseback does not go looking for trouble so you have to point him at the bandits, for some lame reason he does not attack on his own. I find the gunslingers will be more aggressive when the bandit start shooting up the town.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Jan 6, 11 10:39 AM
Thank you, George TSLC, for all of your gaming answers as well. You have helped me out of many tightspots in the past.

@ MarpleLover: I doubled my fun by starting up a new game of WW 4 along with WW 1.
Talk about confusion, lol.
My poor tired brain can hardly cope with all the disasters much less remembering the treasure hunts, side quests and hidden bonuses.
**We need a cross-eyed seeing stars icon, lol**

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Mar 11, 13 9:06 PM
KRSPDS wrote:... you do not need to feed gunslingers, but you do need to feed lawmen. If you look at your town stats (one of the buttons on your screen - it will say town stats when you hover over it), it will tell you how much food you are producing and how much you are using - this helps to plan what food production needs to be built.
You also need to feed the mayor if any.

Go to: