Stereotypes and Racism?

ambercat
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

Re:Stereotypes and Racism?

[Post New]by ambercat on Jan 3, 11 10:39 AM
Honestly it takes a lot to offend me but this game had me staring at the screen, jaw dropped in horror.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

I was offended also

[Post New]by caput on Jan 3, 11 3:22 PM
It is possible to go too far in being politically correct but this one is so blatant in its derogatory,stereotypical depictions of Mexicans and African Americans ! I'm Canadian and don't mind the odd 'eh, frozen North, etc' joke but there is a line and this game crossed it. Do they not review theses games first?

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jan 3, 11 7:06 PM
MarpleLover wrote:I can agree about the point about not being so serious all of the time. Just make sure you don't say anything that might be construed as not respecting or being offensive to a fellow poster.

If you put it that way, ANYTHING can be offensive to somebody, especially nowadays.

I've seen posts where people have been offended by the smallest of things that other posters didn't even notice or blink an eye at-it's all in one's perception.

I wouldn't be surprised if something I said in this post offends somebody else and I get a reply stating so even though I have NO idea what it could be.

With that said, I am off to demo the game and see just how racist/demeaning it really is and what may have been blown out of proportion. It could be absolutely awful--so I'm taking the dive! Wish me luck!

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jan 3, 11 7:12 PM
Amy_the_Terrible wrote:I was suprised that no one at Big Fish Games flag this one for the trash can rather than putting it out there. If I had downloaded this game at my workplace I could have faced legal charges in my country for openly displaying the discriminatory content of this game. I find that pretty odd considering Big Fish Games has offices in my city.

Actually (I'm a law student), freedom of speech extends to cover this game. It would have to be shown to be so openly racist and hateful that it actually causes harm to an individual(s) or shows strong intent to cause harm in order for it to be any kind of an issue. Your place of work may have their own policies and playing games during work-time, regardless of content, is probably one of them.

The point is, according to the law this game has not broken any. If it offends, simply delete and/or do what you are doing and post your disappointment with it and why. As for BFG releasing it, they are within their legal rights to do so and as this site is all about developers (new and experienced) releasing their games to the public, BFG could have gotten themselves into a lawsuit for NOT releasing this game based on content protected by free speech. BFG would then be discriminating.

Make sense? In a nutshell...BFG did nothing wrong here.

ambercat
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by ambercat on Jan 3, 11 7:43 PM
I think you can say BFG did nothing legally wrong here. But they really excercised some bad judgement and poor taste.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 3, 11 8:26 PM
I respectfully beg to differ with the "freedom of speech" poster--while that right is guaranteed to anyone on USA soil, it by no means extends beyond the borders. I'm sure BFG is quite aware of their global reach--so if they opt to be contractually-bound to a developer's game that demeans Poles or Zimbabweans or Chinese or Bangladeshis or Eskimos, for example (go on and on here), that's OK because the US Constitution says so? Wisdom and good taste should come into play, too.

I'll admit, I'm not the most politically-correct person on the planet (and of Swedish descent, having been the brunt of many "Swede" jokes in the past), but there is a difference between parody (be upfront about it, like the ventriloquist Jeff Dunham and "Ahmed The Dead Terrorist,"), and just plain labelling/stereotyping. I suspect that most folks have a great sense of humor, but this game is just a bit over the top.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jan 4, 11 12:59 PM
elldee2728 wrote:I respectfully beg to differ with the "freedom of speech" poster--while that right is guaranteed to anyone on USA soil, it by no means extends beyond the borders. I'm sure BFG is quite aware of their global reach--so if they opt to be contractually-bound to a developer's game that demeans Poles or Zimbabweans or Chinese or Bangladeshis or Eskimos, for example (go on and on here), that's OK because the US Constitution says so? Wisdom and good taste should come into play, too.

You are absolutely correct: wisdom and good judgment should come into play when reviewing a game. Which is where we, the consumer, come into play. These forums are utilized by many. A small percentage post, but a much larger percentage reads through these forums before deciding to buy a game.

If the majority of consumers (us) complain about stereotyping and racial remarks within a game, other consumers are typically less likely to purchase.

We hold the power whether or not to decide to buy the game and how we choose to review it. By not buying the game, developers don't make money and may make better judgment calls in the future.

I think BFG respects the views of their consumers enough to let us decide what is in poor taste and what isn't; what we will buy and what we won't buy; what developers we will and won't support, etc.

With that said, I still maintain that BFG themselves did nothing wrong here. Any finger pointing should go towards the developers of the game themselves, and our posts/reviews are one of the best ways of doing so. Thoughts?

Edited on 01/04/2011 at 1:00:57 PM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jan 4, 11 1:50 PM
hi all.

I said most of what I had to say on pg 6 of the review thread, but here is a little bit more for you, a little excercise if you like.

WHO AM I DESCRIBING.?

1.He wears a kilt all day long.

2.He bar b q's all his food on the beech and has corks hanging from his hat.

3.She has to wear a heavy crown every day

4.They all work down the mines & sing in choirs about green valleys.

5.They wear ledehosen & yodle in the mountains

6.They wear fur (gasp horror) and dig holes in ice to fish

7.They pronounce 3 as tree and film as fillem.

8. Here the streets are filled with mime acts wearing stripped t shirts.

9. Here the ladies have centre partings with their hear wrapped around their ears, always wear clogs unless riding their bycicles.

10. The young women are always immaculate the older ones are plump & hippy & wear black. The men wear suits even when selling icecream but not whan punting.

How did you get on ? LOL

I have not intentionally insulted any one person or nation, just pointing out that stereo typing is how we identify an unknown.

I still found the game funny, tongue in cheek & will proberbly buy if it goes to DD.

Finally,, if I recall, tarring & feathering ( introduced by us Brits <blush> ) has never been used as a racial implement, it has been a tool of humiliation ( with a bit of pain) mainly used in a vigilanti context. If the farmer had said it to a white guy it would be no more offensive then it was meant in this case.

Now I have a huge pile of chioll pills here please help yourselves xxxxx

Go to: