Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Phantasmat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 6, 11 3:01 AM
Yeah, all of the above. Plays full screen on my widescreen, graphics are great, voices are perfect, hog scenes so far are easy, used one hint. This one has grabbed me, but I was in the middle of an alien movie on syfy, so didn't start playing until after five. Going to bed and will finish this up after my beauty sleep. So tempting to stay up, but I know I am too tuckered out to do this one justice. Have a feeling this one is well worth CE price. Thanks, BF.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 6, 11 3:10 AM
Played 40 minutes of the game and loved it. Gorgeous graphics, lovely and clear. Didn't swap for M3 in the H0 so I can't tell. Turned the music/voices off as it annoyed me. Creepy atmosphere, I like that. Mini games, up to now, not too difficult. Hope the game doesn't only take place in the hotel but had a glimpse of the lake and the cemetery, so there's "hope" there. Wonder how long it is and if the CE is worth it. I don't care for wallpapers and in quite a lot of CE the extra bit to play is terribly short and is only worth telling you there will be a sequel. So, one more time, to buy or not to buy ? Not quite sure I'll be patient enough to buy the SE.....

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 6, 11 3:53 AM
UGH, yet another Dark & Dreary!

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Jan 6, 11 3:58 AM
I played for 30 minutes now off to work will probably buy when I get home so far so good.

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Jan 6, 11 4:00 AM
Enjoyed the Demo. Good voice actors, nice graphics, smooth gameplay, suitably creepy environment. I always love when they put in ambient details, rain, shadows, sounds--all these are very nicely done in this game and makes the game more immersive. I was very pleased you don't have to backtrack 100% to get to distant sections you've already explored--there are some jumps, at least so far. More HOs than puzzles, the puzzles I solved weren't too difficult, but not super easy either. Managed to get to the teacup puzzle shown in the screenshot on the web page. You can also collect trophies for various achievements, if that's your thing. I didn't switch to the Match 3 mode, but will probably try that on a replay. It's like having two games in one!

Definitely a buy, the question now is whether to wait for the SE or go ahead and spring for the CE. Decisions, decisions...

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jan 6, 11 4:13 AM
I this game! I've played 15 mins of demo and am now going to buy it. There are many "options" to choose from, the music and sound effects are great, the graphics/artwork is outstanding, the voices are appropriate to the characters plus clear and not overacted. Thank you to the developers for this awesome game and to Big Fish for bringing it to us!

Edited to add: I have finished the game and bonus game and have to say that I cannot wait for another game from this developer. This has got to go to the top of the list for Favorite Games of Big Fish 2011. Awesome and enjoyable!!!

Edited on 01/07/2011 at 1:09:44 PM PST

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Jan 6, 11 4:15 AM
It is a buy for me what graphics, what a story line, I like the idea that you can switch between hidden object game and a match 3 game . It also has three skill levels which is great. I shall not but it yet because of the game price increase I shall have to spread game purchases over the month

dawn_j72
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by dawn_j72 on Jan 6, 11 4:16 AM
I played for about 30 minutes and then just went ahead and bought it! Love these types of games!

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Jan 6, 11 5:10 AM
grabbinbugs wrote:I will keep my remarks brief as other fishies are really gonna have a field day reviewing this one...lol, but I will say that the game has gorgeous graphics, 3 modes of play, well done voice overs, music and sound effects befitting a spooky story. Very interactive with HOG scenes not too difficult. This one is right up my alley so a definite buy here.

Me too!

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jan 6, 11 5:15 AM
I've been playing for about 30 minutes and I am so loving this game!
I rarely play throughout the day even though I am at home most of the time, BUT, this game will be taking up most of this day! Housework in between instead of the other way around lol.
-Graphics grabbed me right away. I could not believe the clarity.
-The game story line grabbed me and pulled me in.
-Love the choice of Match 3 or HOG
-So far the puzzles I've encountered were not difficult enough to make me want to leave the game out of frustration. Hate having to use the walkthrough all the time.
-The choice between various difficulties is greatly appreciated.
-Plays very well on my 23 inch screen.
-Voice overs are great.
This games rates a . Leave it at that for now since I am only beginning to play.
Hoping we get a good bonus regarding playing time. Don't really care about the other 'goodies'.
Off to buy! Enjoy everyone.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 6, 11 5:25 AM
What a great ihog. I have purchased it after only 20 minutes playing time. The graphic is awesome, storyline very good, I like that you can choose between various difficulties, minigames are good etc. One of the best ihogs I have played in a long, long time; maybe even of the best ever. A buy

[Post New]by gogirl20 on Jan 6, 11 5:43 AM
Loved this game.But Idon't want to pay for C.E.so I'll wait.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Jan 6, 11 6:00 AM
Right off the bat I had flashbacks to the old MCF games just from the music. Looks really good so far. Will most likely purchase this CE although I usually wait for the regular version. Looks like it's worth it.

patjoy
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,880 Posts

[Post New]by patjoy on Jan 6, 11 6:07 AM
Looks like a good game so far. Probably will buy it. Clear graphics and spooky story...what's not to like?

[Post New]by katsupatree123 on Jan 6, 11 6:09 AM
Been waiting for a TM_game.. .. but I guess I'll give it a try...
Don't get me wrong.. I luv Ihogs, too.. but... (sigh) sounds good

Tryed it.. a little dark for me i'll pass..
But sure it gets better.. just want a tm.. gla!!!

Edited on 01/06/2011 at 6:37:46 AM PST

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Jan 6, 11 6:35 AM
peglegann wrote:In the options there are music and sound volume. Music got on my nerves after a while. Detect panoramic screen - this did nothing on my PC. Black bars either side. Does not bother me. Film grain - I think this made the H0 scenes a little clearer. Tool tips and match 3 hints. Custon cursor and high details. Not sure if the last 2 did anything. There are 3 levels of difficulty, I chose the middle one. Some items are a little small for some gamers. There are trophies to collect, this should be a nice touch. You can swith to Match 3 in the hidden object scene to aid finding an item. Did not see the point of this. On the whole it seems like an interesting game. SG does not work until you buy. On the fence at the moment. Awaiting faster players reviews to make up my mind. Have fun all.

Thanks for mentioning how the Film grain made H0 scenes easier to see, because they were coming up really dark on my screen and it made it harder to find objects. I will try to adjust that and see if it makes a difference.

Although I love spooky games, I am surprised that no one here has mentioned how this game is a bit of a cliché. I remember when the Fear For Sale CE came out a few months back and quite a few people didn't like that game because they thought it was cliché
and ripping off other games like Return to Ravenhearst. I enjoyed Fear For Sale and although I saw similarities between it and other games, I didn't feel as if it was too cliché.
But today when I was playing Phantasmat, it was coming across as a little too cliché. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy it, I will probably end up buying it, like I said, I love spooky games, but I was just surprised to see so many rave reviews here and no one mentioning how this game is a bit too similar to other games. For example, the car crashing in the beginning is exactly like how Redemption Cemetery starts. The main character in Phantasmat doesn't find themself stuck in a graveyard, but they do seem to be stuck in this weird little town, and in both games we are unsure as to whether the protagonist has survived the crash and/or if they are in some sort of limbo. The raven hanging out in front of the hotel in Phantasmat has become such a game cliche as well. And how many games now have there been where you have to get something from a car but can’t find the keys? It is because of things like this that I am surprised that I am the first critical review of this game here.

Like I said, I will probably buy the game. I am a sucker for spooky games even if they are cliché. But I just wanted to play devil's advocate a bit so that people could get a different view of this game other than just glowing reviews. Especially for people who are sick of the similar scary stories being recycled in games. They probably will not like this one much.

Another gripe I had with the game, besides the H0 scenes being too dark on my screen, is that you cannot use the Strategy Guide during the demo. I like knowing what the strategy guide looks like before I purchase a CE, so that annoyed me, and as well as the fact that I got stuck during the demo and couldn’t have any help. I know the Strategy Guide works once you purchase the game, but I was undecided on whether I would be purchasing the game when the strategy guide failed to work for me, and if it had been included in the demo, I might have been more likely to purchase the CE, but now I am thinking I will probably wait for the SE.

Safarri
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Safarri on Jan 6, 11 6:41 AM
Gobs of positive reviews. Same here. The only hesitate is $14. Worth it, just need to save up. Thanks gamers, I never buy without a good review from you guys.

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Jan 6, 11 6:48 AM
Nice, spooky graphics. Some 'startle' effects too. Love it!!!
In Options you get:
Full screen
Detect panoramic screen
Film grain (Adds a film grain over the screen)
Tooltips
Match-3 hints
High details
Custom Cursor
All boxes were automatically checked except for Film grain. I did have black borders on the sides. It didn't bother me as I refuse to adjust anything!
Casual, Challenge and Extreme modes of play. I played in the Challenge mode. Sparkles indicated areas to be played in either Hidden Object or Match-3 mode. I'm a faster hidden object finder than a Match-3 player.
Dialogue can be skipped or you can speed it up. Loved the voice acting so I did neither.
Puzzles can be skipped. There is a minor penalty for random clicking.
Did the demo, love the gameplay, so I will be purchasing! Thank you to all who participated in the open and closed beta of this game. I read your comments in Sneak Peek and couldn't wait for this one to come out!!

[Post New]by blinkster201 on Jan 6, 11 6:50 AM
I've been a BFG member for a year and a half now and have yet to write a super enthusiastic review (partly bc I was just never so inclined to give an opinion). This game is FREAKING INCREDIBLE. Graphics, music, storyline, individual options, HOG scenes, puzzles, etc. It's easy to speed things up without skipping over entire dialogues/storylines. Additionally, this game runs extremely well/smoothly, nothing is delayed or frozen; have experienced this with a number of games in the past-my computer was never the problem.This is easily a new favorite and, in my opinion, MUCH better than 13th skull/RTR-well worth the 13.99! I can't imagine anyone being disappointed. Thank you BFG!!!!!!!

PS I LOVE HOW THE HOG SCENES ARE ILLUMINATED!!!!!!!!!!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 6, 11 6:51 AM
Another $14 CE? Ah, but after 15 minutes or so of the demo, I was hooked--couldn't hit the "Buy" button fast enough! Yet another Codeminion gem! (One possible bone of contention--no Strategy Guide w/the demo, only w/the full purchase, but it's integrated, in the upper left corner.)

Go to: