SnowMeow
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Crossworlds: The Flying City

[Post New]by SnowMeow on Jan 8, 11 7:00 AM
Thanks goofyduck, cherb and all of you...tried it again - it does grab you and I bought it. This looks like a good day to enjoy a new game...after the x-mas lights come down...lol. I think the graphics are nice and the characters will grow on me.
Good job and Dev.
SnowMeow (Calif,)

JetFairy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JetFairy on Jan 8, 11 7:04 AM
Yosemite1956c wrote:I decided not to even try the demo after reading the storyline. Professor Dumbdore!!! Really, if you're not creative enough to come up with a name on your own without having to almost steal from Harry Potter, then maybe you're in the wrong business.

And, I'm really tired of the father/grandfather missing through time or worlds.

I think it was named as Dumbdore to show his ignorance, foolishness and stupidity (like dumbhead) rather than to take anything from Harry Potter ))))))
I would say it could be a stupid brother scientist of Dumbledore ))))))
By the way Dumbledore is the ancient (XVIII century) Englidh word meaning bumblbee.

Rage74
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Rage74 on Jan 8, 11 8:04 AM
Because it's the weekend, I am downloading the demo.

The name "Dumbdore" stood out, especially since he's referred to as "Professor" - and from one of the earlier reviews, it does seem that there are a few Potter-esque names running around in this game. Bonus points if we find them all?

I must say, though, reading the game blurb...OK, so, if my dad invents a machine that allows one to travel to alternate universes and then turns up missing, it's a safe bet to say that he didn't "mysteriously" vanish. Nothing mysterious about it: he used his own device! (Duh.)

Either that or he was cleverly murdered by one of his students, Marco Dalfoy.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jan 8, 11 8:12 AM
Is there some trick to this game because I can't get outta the house. I have to move a painting, but not with my bare hands, DUH!! So I've wandering around and around from her room to the living room and dad's office. I found a missing page in an office drawer but how the heck do I get the darn painting down seeing she won't do it with her bare hands? This is one confusing game.

cepe
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by cepe on Jan 8, 11 8:25 AM
Its a no for me - within about 10 minutes. Reasons:

1. I hate the fact they picked up on my computer "owners" name and automatically slotted it in as the player.

2. Immediate spelling mistake - shoddy

3. If they can't think up original names then I don't start out optimistic!

4. Artwork and storyline doesn't appeal

But that's just me - I'm off to play Phantasmat. Happy gaming

Cepe

Royals1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Royals1 on Jan 8, 11 8:29 AM
Haven't been able to play the demo yet, but have read some of the reviews. Will still download demo and make my own assessment. From watching the video and looking at the stills, it kinda reminds me of "MYST", if anyone can remember that game. Maybe the devs got the ideas for some of their buildings from that game. Loved Myst by the way....had all of the games for that one. Will give my opinion after I get the demo downloaded.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jan 8, 11 8:43 AM
AS others said THANKS To... CHERB, GOOFYDUCK, & ALL

I will try the game this after noon. Thanks also, for letting me know to keep playing. I hope you are all right about the GAME..

Happy Gaming

PEN

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 8, 11 8:43 AM
After reading Cherb's review I was anxious to try the game. Since I have to wait for yesterday's game I need something to fill the gap. I liked everything but got stuck on the very first HOG scene. That has never happened before. I could not find the button. So I used the hint.... three times! I still can't find it. If screen shots were allowed here I'd post one. There is nothing where the hint tells me there is a button.
Absolutely NOTHING. So... can't go on with the game and that makes it a definite NO BUY.

kiminee
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by kiminee on Jan 8, 11 8:49 AM
I tried, really tried, to enjoy this game. Hint system is absolutely horrid, giving area (sort of, close) instead of actual, and taking way too long to reload. Sometimes still couldn't find object even after hint. Glitchy too - when looking on **** screen for robot heads, said I had 2 left to find; used three hints, all pointed to same area, clicked and clicked and clicked and nothing there; left the game & came to forums, no walkthrough, no help; went back to game to look again and now said I had found all heads. GRRR!!! Objects are poorly rendered in many cases ("granola bar" looked like silver wafer; "packet" looked piece of paper, one screen jaw is gray rectangle (for robot) in another looks like a denture, etc. etc.). Some hidden objects nothing you would recognize - like "cyber onion ring" - well, it was round. Often had better luck in **** scenes clicking randomly on parts of scene that didn't look quite right than I did looking for the objects themselves. Got stuck on stupid stuff that shouldn't have happened - like digging in yard by robokids, used shovel, dug hole, nothing there - used shovel other places in yard, no hole, nothing - had to select shovel, dig, select shovel, dig, select shovel, dig all on one same spot to find it.

Upshot: game play interferes with game enjoyment!!

Definitely a no-buy here.

kiminee
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by kiminee on Jan 8, 11 8:50 AM
barbee44 wrote:After reading Cherb's review I was anxious to try the game. Since I have to wait for yesterday's game I need something to fill the gap. I liked everything but got stuck on the very first HOG scene. That has never happened before. I could not find the button. So I used the hint.... three times! I still can't find it. If screen shots were allowed here I'd post one. There is nothing where the hint tells me there is a button.
Absolutely NOTHING. So... can't go on with the game and that makes it a definite NO BUY.

try closing game and re-opening, maybe will tell you have already found item - that's what happened to me, anyway.

got2play
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by got2play on Jan 8, 11 8:53 AM
It's sad to see a lot of people writing this game off in the first 10 or 15 minutes. The devs should have made the first scenes more interesting (and yes, the names are ridiculous...) but once you've left the house it is way better. The H0 scenes are a little straining on the eyes but once I got the 'feel' for them they were easier. The game continues to be a little challenging.....it's not always clear what comes next but it's a good way to get the brain working again after the holidays... LOL.

The robot scenes remind me a little of the movie Wall-E. Kind of cool.

Please give this game a chance ... the first part in the house is over pretty quickly!

Happy New Year everyone!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 11 9:06 AM
elldee2728 wrote:(Posted this in another forum just b4 this one came up--double-duty, I guess)

Well, guess I'll jump right in with a few thoughts (after a mere 19 minutes viewing the demo).

Absolutely loved your review, Elldee. You have a fun way of talking about the game that made me smile.

Royals1 wrote:Haven't been able to play the demo yet, but have read some of the reviews. Will still download demo and make my own assessment. From watching the video and looking at the stills, it kinda reminds me of "MYST", if anyone can remember that game. Maybe the devs got the ideas for some of their buildings from that game. Loved Myst by the way....had all of the games for that one. Will give my opinion after I get the demo downloaded.

I also owned all the MYST games! I never managed to play them without a walkthrough, but loved them nevertheless.

Well, I will give this demo a chance and see how I like it.

holofernes
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by holofernes on Jan 8, 11 9:12 AM
I find I am irritated when mistakes are made in grammar and/or spelling.
And am now stuck with how I operate the machine - hints don't help. Need a walkthrough or clearer hints.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Jan 8, 11 9:55 AM
One of the most frustrating games in a loooooooong time. MUST have a walkthrough. Takes forever to figure out one move. Not a buy for me without a walkthrough. Ugh.

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Jan 8, 11 10:03 AM
I played the full 60 minutes and must say I fell in love with the game. If you have bad eyes this game will present a challenge to you. The objects are'nt necessarily tiny, instead they are well hidden. The hint system doesn't actually point to the object but to the area so you still have to hunt. But all in all I really have been enjoying it and it's challenges. Off to buy now.

Happy gaming fishies.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 8, 11 10:28 AM
Well Goofyduck, long time no hear from. I missed your reviews. Yours is the first I read and then go on to everyone else. This one sounds good, but will give the trail a go first. Thanks to everyone for their input.

SnowMeow
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by SnowMeow on Jan 8, 11 10:29 AM
BigTfromAV - I'm sure there will be a walkthrough, just chill and look foreward to playing the game when there is one...ok.
SnowMeow (Calif.)

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 8, 11 10:29 AM
OK I found the button.... close to where the hint said, and was a clue from someone's post.

I then, just walked to all the rooms, over and over and over and over and it seems like there is nothing to do and no new locations. So now what? An office with blank books... and the other rooms have no active areas. I hate games that leave you up the creek without a paddle like this one. Since I there is no evident thing to do or place to go.... I'm done with the game. All rooms, no active areas, no HOG scenes.
Am I to spend my whole demo time looking for something to do? And there was no prize for solving the HOG scene to go into my inventory... which is empty.

Not my cup of tea.

PS... of course if the game were good it would be a C.E. at 13.99 and I have to wait a month to get it anyway. So either way it's a loss.

Edited on 01/08/2011 at 10:40:28 AM PST

niya00
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

HUH???

[Post New]by niya00 on Jan 8, 11 10:48 AM
I don't mind a mentally challenge and don't like the total hand-holding games but I do like to have SOME sense of what I am trying to do. Maybe some basic help ideas in the beginning would help. I have no clue at any time exactly what it is that i am trying to do?? Guess I'm too dumb for this one. It will certainly work for those that are just looking to kill time.

patjoy
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,880 Posts

[Post New]by patjoy on Jan 8, 11 11:06 AM
Wasn't going to even finish demo until I read reviews saying give it more time. So I did. Yup, ended up buying it. It takes time to see that it is worth sticking with. Thank you to the fishie who said go back into rooms multiple times to find HOGs where there weren't any before. Also, bookcase problem. Pull all the "eye" books out and leave them out. You will be rewarded. Gotta go play a game now. Bye.

Go to: