shuttlegrannyjo
Catfish
Catfish
1,575 Posts

Re:My Tribe or Virtual Villagers

[Post New]by shuttlegrannyjo on Dec 9, 08 8:28 PM
FlorencePS wrote:
shuttlegrannyjo wrote:...Of course I've also got a regular game going with another tribe under a different user. I absolutely love this game!

Hmmm, Ms. Jo. Me thinks thou art a tad bit hooked?!!!

Who, me? - A tad bit hooked? No! Never!!! I'm totally ADDICTED!!!

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Dec 18, 08 2:46 PM
My tribe doesn't take as much of your 'real' time as VV does. There ARE some things I like better about My Tribe, though.
1. People actually go in the huts and sleep, closing the door behind them.
2. A couple who is going to have a baby goes in the hut, closes the door and comes out with an infant, who can already toddle around. They are so cute! No standing around for 2 years (4 hours), holding a baby, like women can't do two things at once, lol.
3. You choose where to build your huts, science lab, etc.
4. You can actually cut down trees and bust rocks. You can fish without having to get to a higher level like you do in VV.
5. Your people have 'real' names, not the mumbo jumbo names in VV. And, if you wish, you can change their names.
6. You can build an 'ark' and explore other islands.

Hope this helps a bit when deciding if you want to buy the game or not.

swirly
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by swirly on Dec 18, 08 8:26 PM
I have just recently purchased My Tribe. I have all of VV. MT is a little different but still fun. Things happen a lot faster than VV.

Is there a "potion" list anywhere? I have found barrels with a potion in it but didn't write it down and my memory is not that good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a thread where people post the recipes they've found, here is the adress :

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/13093.page

Hope that helps!

Edited on 12/18/2008 at 8:27:02 PM PST

chiniakbay
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by chiniakbay on Dec 19, 08 3:51 PM
Thank you so much.

chiniakbay
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by chiniakbay on Dec 20, 08 12:46 PM
I left my tribe for a couple of hours and when I returned one had died. I can't seem to locate the tombstone anywhere and the tutorial will not go away until I click on it. What can I do to spot it?

GreenMeany
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by GreenMeany on Dec 20, 08 1:12 PM
I tried My Tribe and found if very similar to the VV lot. However its too easy, and after a while a little boring. Will have to only hope that a new version of VV is in the making.

[Post New]by DariaMcBee on Dec 21, 08 9:34 AM
I like the endless gameplay of MyTribe due to multitudinous islands. I like that there are different mysteries on other islands to look forward to. At the beginning of the game, I thought I had read that my tribe will have the ability to get off of their island and visit other islands one day. That, is a great goal to work toward! I also like the gentler environment of MyTribe for example, my tribe won't die of starvation while I'm sleeping, because there is always fish in the sea for them to eat without having to complete a puzzle before they can access the fishing. That's the thing that was heartbreaking in VV - if I didn't sit there with the tribe day and night, they might die. I also like the map and being able to go directly to the area of the island I need to quickly move to. The children are able to pick up star and moon dust as well as guano and maybe other items that I haven't discovered, yet. Of course the infants' greatest job is "looking adorable". I like that the women can work immediately after giving birth. I also appreciate that each tribe member actually will work at their craft(s) and that they are proud to do so without any nagging from me.

I've only solved the stardust lighthouse puzzle so far, but it's nice to have a tribe out there again, working together toward some good goals. I don't feel sad for the VV developers, because I think competition is good to help each company improve its products, and I agree that imitation is flattery, so I'm looking forward to seeing how these games turn into even better products. If LTDW will add the multiple island benefit to their next game, I think they will step up their product. I think they had a great concept in this one-of-a-kind type of game, and I'm happy to see some competition and improvement to their original game concepts.

Juniper
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Juniper on Dec 21, 08 10:09 AM
DariaMcBee wrote:I also like the gentler environment of MyTribe for example, my tribe won't die of starvation while I'm sleeping, because there is always fish in the sea for them to eat without having to complete a puzzle before they can access the fishing.
Having access to fish doesn't always guarantee food, as I've recently found out. You do need to make sure you have wood available (for them to cook with) and having farming accessed is a good idea as an alternative food source.

As I remarked elsewhere though, I just lost half my tribe despite having plenty of fishermen on duty (and plenty of wood)...

[Post New]by freecat on Dec 23, 08 11:39 AM
I am not a fan of copycats because it shows lack of creativity of the creators of this new game. The artwork is of a different style but the general formula of the game is almost word for word that of Virtual villagers. An hours worth of testing out a game that runs on real time is not enough time to make a criticism of the game so i bought a copy for myself and i regret that decision. The mysteries are arbitrary and not well thought out. if you've solved the stardust attractor - the moon one is a joke. I solved the red stone mystery without any effort on my behalf.

There is also no sense of urgency in the game - with virtual villagers it is always a battle to discover new food sources to keep your villagers alive - this game creates no such tension and is therefore quite bland.

The idea of having many islands to explore, is a good one but the puzzles on the islands are too easy. I'm ready to sail to my third island and i'm hoping i will find something on it that will challenge me a bit more.

Needless to say, i will not pay good money for a follow-up to "my tribe".

goeash
Koi
Koi
83,226 Posts

[Post New]by goeash on Dec 23, 08 11:53 AM
Virtual Villagers any day (when McAfee restore it!)

[Post New]by Cabbagepatcher on Dec 24, 08 5:47 AM
I thought this game was too similar to VV to warrant buying it. If I hadn't already got VV I might have considered it, though.
* BTW BossBrat, you can change the names of the Virtual Villagers also to whatever you want, just backspace to delete the existing name and type in whatever takes your fancy.

[Post New]by sfo_sdd on Dec 26, 08 3:12 PM
I have both now and I must say I am equally attached to my "little people." I think they have different benefits and challenges. I enjoy the idea (haven't built my ship yet) of going to different islands. I feel like I have more control with the MT because of the potions and the moon/star dust...what a thrill to get those little perks.

I would prefer if MT allowed you to zoom out and still be in play mode. I would like to be able to have my tribe doing their thing with me watching from a distance.

I am hooked!

HeatherHi
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by HeatherHi on Dec 31, 08 4:33 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed all VV...but I think I enjoyed My Tribe more. I tliked everything about it!

chiniakbay
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by chiniakbay on Jan 18, 09 8:00 AM
I have all the VV's and then I found MT. I have to say I prefer MT. Once you solved all the puzzles and found all the colllections in VV, you are done. MT lets you sail to another island and start again. I have solved all the puzzles and mysteries except the one that one of the villagers lives to 969 years....I have two people that are in their 500th year, getting close. Maybe the new MT will take into consideration the ideas from this forum and have a MT-2.

littlesambo
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by littlesambo on Jan 18, 09 12:20 PM
hello all,
i'm truly enjoying "my tribe" as much or more then "vv1-2-3 can't wait for the 4th one to come out. i love the way birds do kaka on the island, i'm waiting to see if it ever lands on any of the villages, now that would be hilarious. right now i started a new game with vv2.
just adding my 2cents.
littlesambo

pistol1
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by pistol1 on Jan 24, 09 8:45 AM
I am also a die hard VV fan. Eagerly awaiting VV4.

But.....I also like MT. They are similar, but there are enough differences (especially moving to a new island) to make it fun.

I've completed the mysteries, just trying to get someone to 969 years. Was halfway there and I lost him because I didn't get back to my tribe in time to give him youth potion.

texas1299
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by texas1299 on Dec 29, 09 12:55 PM
i love mt and vv i played mt for awhile and every now and then i still do but i get bored theres no end to the game which means your not waiting for the next one which to me is kind aggravating vv is better to me because theres an end and every time theres a new game there are new surprise plus when you solve thing you get way batter things then on mt and there are more puzzles i guees i would like to go to another island buton mt the islands are pretty much the same except for the two part islands but the stink because it takes to long for recources to get to your pile

texas1299
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by texas1299 on Dec 29, 09 1:27 PM
i dont know if you guys have heard any news about vv4 but its going to be called the tree of life i hope maybe we can build our own things and maybe like somekind of vehicle what do you guys think?but i still need help for finding a fun game please help me

texas1299
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by texas1299 on Dec 29, 09 1:43 PM
hi

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 29, 09 5:12 PM
Well I just read thru this thread and was interesting to read the comparisons since I've been a die hard VV fan too. But those who play both VV and MT have had fun with MT and good reasons why. I just tried the demo when it came out awhile back and an hour isn't long enough to really judge.

What I don't get tho, or maybe read it wrong, is whether you can pause MT and it isn't running real time when you are gone. That is what I liked about VVs, I may sit here intensely for hours or while watching TV, then pause and may not resume for days or a week so I like picking up where I left. I don't leave a game running on task bar, don't have enough resources on PC to run another game unless I close it. It will say another game is running when i try to open another.

Yes, you can change their names, first thing I do when a new tot arrives, usually to ID him/her by color of clothes or hair, later may change to fit personality. One thing I don't like on VV2 or 3 is it's near the end when you have enough points to change their clothes. I've had some look exactly the same for "years" and unless I look at their names and age I mix them up. On V1 you could change their clothes with maybe F6, forgot now, but limited, you were stuck with the last one shown, no backing up.

I think I can try full versions on SWave where I'm a member, then if I want it I can buy it here. I won't buy a game anywhere else. Have a credit for Dec I havn't used and will have a freebie in Jan from punchcard. So, what version of MT do you suggest if there are sequels? Sounds like a nice change, something to do between ihogs.
Thx for tips

Go to: