SnowMeow
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars

[Post New]by SnowMeow on Jan 13, 11 8:38 AM
Hey!!! Stop picking on CasualGran...I won't have it! She's the best! About this game...I don't like these robotic adventure games...to much work to get the character moving.
SnowMeow ) (Calif.)

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 13, 11 9:21 AM
The graphics are older. The gameplay is adventure and a bit stiff. There are minigames which are unskippable. The storyline is interesting. Sadly this is an older game that lacks the punch of newer games.

This game is a B-.

budordee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by budordee on Jan 13, 11 10:51 AM
I can't get the inventory items to work. I drag the key to the study door, release on the highlighted spot and nothing -- repeatedly! What am I doing wrong?? Can't really say how I like the game, can't get any where in it.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Jan 13, 11 11:42 AM
Have just d/loaded this and can't wait to try - played one of the early original ones YEARS ago (for Playstation) and loved it... although got stuck a lot! That was in the days before internet forums/ online walk throughs and we only had premium rate phone lines to call for hints. Cost me and OH a fortune That and the original Tomb Raider...

Am hoping this is as good.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 13, 11 11:54 AM
Not a good for me - its an good click and point game, if you prefer that genre. But I thought that the graphics and the gameplay are very "old-school", like from last century. No buy for me

Dynastia
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Dynastia on Jan 13, 11 11:57 AM
I got and played all of the previous Broken Sword Series, on Playstation 1 and PC (Sleeping Dragon).
They are fun to play.
I definitely am looking forward to get this one too and glad it is available here.

It is the Point and Click type, for those who don't know.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Jan 13, 11 12:07 PM
Uh...I really wasn't being "snarky" or "picking on" CasualGran. The idea that someone might pretend to be a grandmother online when they are actually a teenager was funny to me and I used her statement about the iPhone as pretend "evidence" that she was guilty of this. I'm sorry if she was offended by this...but I don't understand why. I don't know what my joke was interpreted as meaning. I realize tone often doesn't come across online, but I really was just being silly.

Okay, escaping back to the diving bell now...

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Jan 13, 11 12:56 PM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:Not a good for me - its an good click and point game, if you prefer that genre. But I thought that the graphics and the gameplay are very "old-school", like from last century. No buy for me

It IS from last century

Just played half an hour and it is as I remembered - loving it so far! My 6 year old is enjoying it too but it's nearly bedtime for at least one of us so will continue tomorrow...

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on Jan 13, 11 1:06 PM
Budordee - I sent you a message regarding your question about the door.

thebud1
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by thebud1 on Jan 13, 11 1:24 PM
mine tells me corrupt file

diggermonty
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by diggermonty on Jan 13, 11 1:30 PM
If one disregards the 1990 graphics the game plays really well. I like the fact that there are no skip buttons. Once in a while I like a game that really makes you think.
Some puzzles require "backward thinking", you try to envision the end result and back track. It usually works on slider puzzles.
I hope BF will offer the other three games in the series. They actually get better. I played them years ago and still remember some of the plots and puzzles.
This is a game for the adventrous types with no time schedule. Sometimes you have to go back a few scenes in order to get the item you need or to perform a task.
Enjoy it. Don't expect to complete it fully in a day.

jenkast
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by jenkast on Jan 13, 11 1:39 PM
Yay BF finally got this game, thank you!

I played the original on the PC until it wouldn't play on any system I owned. Then they released the directors cut in 2009 (with a good bit of extra story) and I got it for the Nintendo DS, which didn't have the voice acting ($35). Then they released it for iTunes, which came with the voice acting but was still on a tiny screen ($5). Now I can finally get it for under $10 on the PC!

Love the puzzles and storyline, good length, and old school hand drawn adventure feel.

Haha can you tell I love this game?

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 13, 11 2:55 PM
Slite wrote:Uh...I really wasn't being "snarky" or "picking on" CasualGran. The idea that someone might pretend to be a grandmother online when they are actually a teenager was funny to me and I used her statement about the iPhone as pretend "evidence" that she was guilty of this. I'm sorry if she was offended by this...but I don't understand why. I don't know what my joke was interpreted as meaning. I realize tone often doesn't come across online, but I really was just being silly.

Okay, escaping back to the diving bell now...

In real life sometimes people say to me.... didn't you know I was joking? And I say.... well, you weren't smiling, how would I know that?

In posts, I try to use smiling faces a lot just to show when I'm joking. It doesn't always work, but most of the time it does.

Edited on 01/13/2011 at 2:58:49 PM PST

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Jan 13, 11 4:08 PM
I'm still undecided about this one. Played the first 30 minutes of the demo and got through the first chapter.

The dialog seems a bit too much or takes to long to complete. On the other hand, I swore off computers for about 20 years (burn out from previous employment), I missed out on a lot of games that were probably great in their day.

I am liking the game. Just not sure if I like it enough to purchase or use a punch card.

I will play the remaining part of the demo and read more review and decide from there. So, keep the your great comments and reviews coming.

jpflier
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by jpflier on Jan 13, 11 4:25 PM
I have to say I really like this type of game. Adventure, no HOGs, don't get me wrong I like HOGs, just like an adventure game every now and then for something different. The puzzles were hard, but not so hard that I found it frustrating. Plus there is an excellent hint system built in. It gives 2-3 hints and then reveals the solution. It is an older game and the heroine does move pretty slow, but that should extend the game play! I like the pace of the game, after a really bad work week this has been something to relax and unwind with. Used a game credit for this, am downloading and hope the game lives up to its demo. Enjoy...

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 13, 11 7:32 PM
I think I played this game many moons ago. There weren't blue orbs back then. You had to search around for hot spots in the game. Anyway, if I remember correctly, it is a great game but will take you awhile to play it. Keep your strategy guide in hand and remember you must combine inventory items at times.

[Post New]by KatCola on Jan 13, 11 9:08 PM
divaprods wrote:"Casualgran, I promise you there were no iPhones yet in '96!
But I suspect your slip is indicative of a bigger secret. Have you attempted to hide your real age through your descriptive nom de plume of "CasualGran"? Are you in fact a teenager who does not remember a world without iPhones? Confess all for you stand revealed! "

Slite~ Just sounds like east-coast humor to me. I could totally tell that you were joking! I sure hope that CasualGran was not offended.

midgitary
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by midgitary on Jan 13, 11 9:25 PM
This is the first I have heard of this game and after a little time in the demo, I decided to purchase. Aside from the fact that I am greatly enjoying it, the other main reason I decided to purchase was because it reminded me of one of my all time favorite games "Grim Fandango". Many hours did i spend with that game, giggling my behind off because it was just too funny...and the same can be said here.

That said, my review so far: I have been playing now for 3 hours, 54 minutes (in-game clock), 30% completed (again, an in-game monitor) and at chapter 5 and 3/4, almost to chapter 6 as per the walkthrough. So that lets me know how long this game actually is.

Normally, I am not a huge fan of straight adventure games. I get frustrated with myself because I usually have to rely so heavily on a walkthrough, it sorta takes away from the experience for me. I want to be able to figure it out but after dealing with everyday/all day thinking, my brain rebels at the thought of having to figure out where to go, what to do, what to use, how to use it, etc etc et el....

That being the case, I was hesitant to try this, but after reading reviews (especially the ones that talked about its slower pace) I tried it and my verdict...I LOVE IT!!!

Some say the graphics are old and obsolete...I say they are classic and well defined. No offense to game developers nowadays but, for me, classic, hand-drawn art is much more pleasing. The characters are funny, have a personality, and are entities that I want to get to know better which makes me want to go further into the game (no matter how much of a bumbling idiot they are....)

The game plays well on my vista and W7 comps and laptops...I have yet to experience any serious problems. I like the fact that I can play this in windowed mode, so that I can do other work but go right back to it when I am finished.

It has a swift pace, a grand story line (I am a huge Templar/Middle ages buff and can't get enough), and the voice acting, though a bit contrived, was convincing enough that it didn't impact the story movement at all (no jarring twangs, or just flat out faker-y (if that is even a word...LOL)). Suffice it to say, I am enjoying it immensely!

As for music and such, when I have the option, I slide the music to nothing, leaving only background and voice acting sounds, so I can't tell you if the music is annoying but what I heard of it seemed to lend to the story, not detract.

It is a great game and I would love more!

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jan 13, 11 11:53 PM
Kelvarda wrote:Thank you to all who have commented on this game so far. I think I'll give it a definite miss........looking in Technical Faults there seems to be a graphic card issue, and as I have already been informed by BFG that my graphics card is "out of date" yet my OEM assures me it isn't.......I don't think I'll bother!

I already have a 3 Large File Adventure games on my PC - 1 being Keepsake (which I love ), 2 being Machinarium (which is quirky & brilliant ) so I won't rock the boat with another one! I don't want my PC to "crash & burn"

Cheers - Kel

Thats a typical OEM line and they never admit to putting in an outdated or poj Gcard. They throw a cheep Gcard in and when a consumer has problems. Its one of my biggest pet peves and I feel bad for the many unknowing people that get stuck with a G card that won't play squat! I see so many posts "this game won't work/play for me", and at least 90% of the time (the other 10% being driver updates etc) its because of this problem.

zener
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by zener on Jan 14, 11 12:24 AM
budordee wrote:I can't get the inventory items to work. I drag the key to the study door, release on the highlighted spot and nothing -- repeatedly! What am I doing wrong?? Can't really say how I like the game, can't get any where in it.

Have you tries moving around until a "glow" surrounds the item - then it will work (if correct)

Go to: