Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life

[Post New]by gamineannie on Jan 19, 11 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the reviews! Decided to give this a try, though I am brand new to adventure games. Literally, since I bought my first one just yesterday and am currently stuck with it, as I cannot get my character to read a list.
After 19 demo minutes, I have found two items, one of which, naturally, needs a part to work! I have talked to the two other characters a couple of times. Since I was of course stuck for what to do next, I took a quick peek at the walkthrough. Oh, duh! Of course I should go back and talk to one of the others yet again!
Yes, this is apparently a very chatty adventure, and the lead character does walk as if she needed hip surgery really soon, but the graphics are good so far. I may buy this one as I am looking for something a bit challenging, and at the rate I've gone so far, this one will last a good long while!

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on Jan 19, 11 12:32 PM
This seems to be a love it or hate it game. I am on the love it side. It is done by the same people who did the Art of Murder games. The game play is the same, controls etc. all the way down to a woman in tight jeans who can put a lot of stuff in her pockets without any bulges.
You can click the conversations and make them move faster and if you hit the ESC key you can bypass the opening cut scene.
For me I love the challenge of finding items and figuring out how to use them. Most of the time if you ask yourself "What is the common sense thing to do?" you will be able to move ahead. As I said most of the time. but there are times where ya just gotta try everything in you inventory.
Right clicking on inventory items at times will give a hint about what you need to do with the item and sometimes items in inventory need to be combined before they can be used.
I like games that take a long time and don't give up their secrets too easily. With the superior graphics that play smoothly on my computer and an interesting story line I am looking forward to spending several days in Brittany.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Jan 19, 11 1:01 PM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:I really enjoy adventure games. And for me this is a great one. It is slow and complicated,but the story is very interesting and it's a mystery. This is a buy for me. But this is only for true adventure game lovers. I like games that take along time to play. I get my moneys worth. And the graphics are great. I like it!

I'd rate this: PORK BELLY

' '
(o)

PORK BELLY:
Likable game. For some, but not for everyone.
Lisa, your rating doesn't make sense this time because this game isn't a HOG.

Well I sure used to love big adventure games - Syberia, Longest Journey, etc - and I may still, so I'll need to check this out at some point. But man, it takes up a lot of space!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 19, 11 1:04 PM
Played this game sometime ago. It is a very nice game. Just wish BIg Fish would stop giving us recycled games. Come on guys! I have like two free games and it is already almost the end of the month and I have yet to use them. I bought this game at the store and paid about $20 for it so you are getting a good deal if you bought it on a membership. The game choice has been very poor for the last two months. I played the Bood Circle game again after 15 years because it had changed somewhat and i forgot the ending. So in a way it was like a new game. When will we see the next CE game? Can't wait to play something worthwhile.

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Jan 19, 11 1:33 PM
Is this a "360 view" game? I'd like to know before I try the demo because they make me all queasy.

Thanks!
Shasta

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by KCErin on Jan 19, 11 1:41 PM
Shastanna - It is not a 360 game, so no seasickness.

Nice graphics. Interesting story, so far. I may be easy to please,but I enjoyed the demo and got the full version. I did have to consult the walkthru. It's not the best, but did point me in the right direction.

Back to Brittany for now.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Jan 19, 11 1:54 PM
I played Chronicles of Mystery: Scorpio Ritual and loved it! I just demo'd this new one and purchased with my monthly credit. Typical point and click with lots of running around and trying different things till you figure it out. I love em! Downloading now and this one will keep me busy for a few days!

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by apples16951 on Jan 19, 11 3:07 PM
I've just downloaded and played 60 minutes on the trial version. I do love this type of large file adventure game with sophisticated graphics. I get totally immersed in the story. I can't make up my mind about whether to buy this one, though. The dialogue just doesn't make any sense half the time! I guess it was an attempt to make it clever and sophisticated, and it's just a lot of nonsense. It keeps happening and it's getting on my nerves, so I'm going to think about it before buying. I can tell it's a brainteaser, though, so I'm intrigued.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 19, 11 3:12 PM
apples16951 wrote:I've just downloaded and played 60 minutes on the trial version. I do love this type of large file adventure game with sophisticated graphics. I get totally immersed in the story. I can't make up my mind about whether to buy this one, though. The dialogue just doesn't make any sense half the time! I guess it was an attempt to make it clever and sophisticated, and it's just a lot of nonsense. It keeps happening and it's getting on my nerves, so I'm going to think about it before buying. I can tell it's a brainteaser, though, so I'm intrigued.
You could always do a search on you tube, and watch a few minutes of the later episodes and see if you like what you see. Most popular games like this have entire gameplays or walkthroughs there. It might help you to decide whether it is worth purchasing or not.

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Jan 19, 11 4:25 PM
Another designer who fails to understand that some people WILL NOT PLAY games that cannot be windowed.

A no-buy for me.

[Post New]by dragon7380 on Jan 19, 11 5:03 PM
I quit this game after less than 5 minutes. I want to play a game, NOT watch a movie. If I am not allowed to click through all the BS they present, I will not buy the game. You can make a movie, or you can make a game, but stop making games with movies in them.

Less dialog and more games. We end up with all this Dialog and the games are getting shorter and shorter because of it. Make up your mind what you want to do, make a movie, or make a game, You can't do both and make it enjoyable.

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Jan 19, 11 6:43 PM
I normally don't like adventure games because of all the dialog, but I'm really digging this one for some reason. I usually get bored with all the talking and generally get stuck within the first 5 minutes of gameplay. Not with this game. I'm ploughing along just fine. Only peeked at the walkthrough once. So far so good.

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Jan 19, 11 8:24 PM
I'm just downloading to see what it's like--but I'm glad it's a straight adventure game--I really prefer them and for the most part, I'm bored to tears with HOGs...

I know that quite a few people feel just the reverse--and I understand.

But am awful glad these adventure games show up from time to time and am hoping it's a good one.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Jan 19, 11 11:24 PM
Like games, that test and stimulate your skills. Although, sometimes baffled, and may have to back track a few times, or sneak a peek at the walkthrough, it's all entertaining. But, this is all enjoyable and keeps you actively involved which I find intriguing and you can also manipulate the action, through choice of dialogue, etc. Cryptograms and logic puzzles are my favorites. Purchased the game after 20 minutes into the free trial. Lov'in it!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 20, 11 1:19 AM
I absolutely love this game. I, like a lot of others love IHOG and FROG's but these are just so stimulating. Graphics great, ESC to avoid the opening sequence, click to hurry the conversations, double click to move faster. Beats the Aveyond series hands down.

[Post New]by springsjulie on Jan 20, 11 5:10 AM
Waaaay too much dialogue, and I couldn't get the stupid chest combination to work even though I had found the combo. I didn't like this at all. Very slow, no helpful hints anywhere (except all those question marks), and it just didn't work for me at all. Skip it!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 20, 11 7:40 AM
Played about 15 minutes of it and really liked it. Good graphics and the story seems interesting. A lot, may be too much, talking. Agree with Doctorgood, it reminds me of Syberia so I'm not sure I'll have the energy to play it all the way through, I'm dead sure I will end using the walkthrough each time I get stuck which I don't like. Good game though, which I keep on my "may be" list.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 20, 11 7:53 AM
The grahics are excellent. The gameplay is Adventure. I had a hard time knowing what to do next. There seems to be a linear progression if you can figure it out. Too much talking and just stubbling around. Limited items to look at.

This game is a C+.

[Post New]by Donna1876 on Jan 20, 11 8:22 AM
This game could be played in half the time it actually takes. There is not enough actual game content, I really got fed up with all the chatting, In my opinion it really is excessive and spoils the game.

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on Jan 20, 11 11:24 AM
I love large file games! Had I just read the reviews I would not have even demoed it. I played demo, loved it and immediately purchased it. If you are a Nancy Drew, Sherlock Holmes, or Syberia lover, you will like this one too. The games requires logical thinking, not just mindless clicking on items.

Go to: