Nynaeve70
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

Re:Post any The Stroke of Midnight technical issues here only

[Post New]by Nynaeve70 on Jan 21, 11 6:51 AM
When I first tried the demo, I got a bar with "resources unpacking". Since I didn't know where that came from - I canceled it. Tried the game, got "error". Uninstalled, reinstalled. Get past the first screen - get a black screen and get an error message (once I use my task manager to get back to my desktop). This is the 3rd or 4th game that Big Fish has put out with major defects. At this point, I'm considering canceling my membership due to the poor technical quality of the games.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Jan 21, 11 7:00 AM
Jeriann64 wrote:Although no one ever answers my reply; here goes anyway. Stroke of Midnight runs really slow & jerky on my pc, too. Not only that, I get big sections of white screen. I've never had that happen before.The whole yard looks like it snowed. HELP!!!

Same here with the white rectangles. Kind of annoying. Game is running but I have yet to find where you look for clues. I'm going to persist and see if it improves as I go along as I like the storyline.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 21, 11 7:31 AM
I too got the "resouces packing" message, but I let it install thinking it was something the game needed. The problem started when I alt tabbed to get to the desktop to look at walkthrough. The game froze and I had no cursor and could not get back to the game. I alt, tabbed, deleted and started over. However I am in the house by the stairs and nothing happens cannot pick up plank, board, boulder or anything. STUCK. I clicked on stairs, and hole in floor as walkthrough said, but still cannot pick anything up or drag anything. I uninstalled and tried again, same thing. No buy for me, as when it starts out this way, it is not a good sign. I love these types of games and would have purchased in a New York minute.

[Post New]by seniorboss on Jan 21, 11 7:32 AM
Loads but gives me acc. violation at 0x0043a3b3. Phooy

Lassie1952
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Lassie1952 on Jan 21, 11 8:04 AM
hd2222 wrote:Oh-h-h no!!! Curser is slow and jerky, took awhile to progress from the initial screen to the intro containing PLAY, EXIT, OPTIONS etc. Then, when game finally started, I had several small, medium and large "white areas" scattered throughout the scene. Obviously I elected to terminate the game as I anticipate things only becoming worse, or simply not playable. Anyone else experiencing this problem? SO discouraged ................... again.

Yes the same thing happened with me. Such a shame because this seems to be a really interesting and creative game!

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 8:06:32 AM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 21, 11 8:15 AM
If this is a new game, why do I have "trial expired" message?

[Post New]by esteroverde on Jan 21, 11 8:23 AM
I keep getting the big white blocks as well. Can anything be done about it?

desandnrs
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by desandnrs on Jan 21, 11 8:52 AM
59 minutes of playtime left.
Same here, can't even get started.

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 8:57:30 AM PST

Shastac2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by Shastac2 on Jan 21, 11 9:05 AM
Got to the front door of the castle and the game froze. Couldn't do anything except turn power to pc off. Too bad, I was waiting for a good game and this looked like it might have been the one to use this months credit on.

shastac2

OK, I dumped it and downloaded the game again and now it seems to be working fine. I really don't think I like this game though. I feel like a newbie with somebody holding my hand throughout the game.
JMO

shastac2

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 9:36:28 AM PST

tinaccarroll
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by tinaccarroll on Jan 21, 11 9:07 AM
game looks very good but my mouse is very slow and game is slow. no diary or mouse change options at all.

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by bumblebea on Jan 21, 11 9:15 AM
crazyfor20 wrote:Downloads fine. Won't launch just goes to the screen that says I have 60 minutes of playtime left.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jan 21, 11 9:19 AM
UT OH - Not another one! I just downloaded and decided to go the the forums first. I will say that while downloading the game I was unable to do ANYTHING else on my computer and it is a relatively new laptop (9 mos old) and runs Windows 7. Haven't tried to play yet, will do that and let you know if I too have issues! Come on BFG that makes 2 games in 2 days with PROBLEMS - Who are your testers????? Can I apply for the job???

minnielou
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by minnielou on Jan 21, 11 9:24 AM
I also have the Access violation code. I purchased the game and can't play. I am having serious thoughts of canceling my acct. and going elsewhere.

[Post New]by leapfrog0202 on Jan 21, 11 9:29 AM
I get the html codes for everything and can't get back to the main game after checking the option areas.

[removed by moderator]

This is a link to a screen shot of the problem for any tech support folks.

I too have been a little disappointed in the quality of the games lately although I don't have the bugginess, just things that are hard to generalize about - seems as if some of them are rushed to completion or something.

I have done Beta testing before and I'd be happy to do so again if it would help improve the quality. I do quality assurance for my job and am used to looking for detailed things.

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 9:30:59 AM PST

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Jan 21, 11 9:30 AM
Hello everyone.

Thank you for letting us know about the issues you're experiencing with this game. For those of you seeing unclear pictures or an access violation error message, please take a look at these help articles:

Access Violation

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

If you are seeing a "resources packing" error message, you might want to see if turning off interfering programs might help:

NSIS Error

For all of the players seeing white patches/blocks while playing, if you could please write in to Tech Support with a Dr. Felix report, we would really appreciate it. This will give our reps an overview of all of the game related software on your computer. It will not make any changes to your system or gather any sensitive information and will only provide information related to helping your game work properly.

First, download Dr. Felix, our Big Fish Games diagnostic tool, from here.

1. Select ‘Run’ or ‘Save File’ to download the Dr. Felix file to your desktop.
2. Next, open the ‘DrFelixBigFish’ file.
3. Once you’ve agreed to the terms, Dr. Felix will start gathering information.
4. When Dr. Felix is finished, click the ‘Next’ button.
5. A yellow .zip file, named ‘DrFelixResults’ will save to your desktop.
6. Attach this file to the ticket that you write in with. For more help, refer to this Attach File to Customer Support Ticket article

To contact Tech Support, click on the green envelope to the right of the screen, and then click "Contact Us" (bottom left) of the next page to reach the online web form. To submit the web form, first click "Check for Answers" to visit the Help pages, and if you still can't find an answer, you will then be able to click the "Submit" button to send your ticket to our reps.

If you receive an error message saying that the file is too big, please just send the running processes, running services and the dxdiag (the most useful parts of the report). Thank you very much!

-bfgArnoStyx

Shastac2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by Shastac2 on Jan 21, 11 9:40 AM
minnielou wrote:I also have the Access violation code. I purchased the game and can't play. I am having serious thoughts of canceling my acct. and going elsewhere.

Talk to the techs before just leaving. They always help me when I have a problem. I've been to several of the other game clubs but I personally feel that BFGs is the best one on the net. JMO
I've been noticing that the ones with Windows 7 seem to have more problems than the ones with an older version. Wonder why?

shastac2

chrysteen
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by chrysteen on Jan 21, 11 9:41 AM
gmac1007 wrote:Nice game but I keep getting big white blocks through out the game one scene is fine and then the next has the big white blocks outside the house the whole left side of the bridge is that way. Also game runs very slow and cursor is very jerky. Hopefully there will be a fix for this or at least maybe a new version would like to buy this one but not with all the bugs and white blocks. My system is up to date hubby is a tech. so he makes sure I stay updated second game this week that I've had trouble with.

after speaking to tech I was told ""it looks like the video card on the computer is 32 MB while all new games require at least 128 MB""...perhaps this is the issue here with others as well.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 21, 11 10:09 AM
Unloaded, reloaded, no change, still white patches all over the place.
Chrysteen I understand nothing about 32 or 128 MB, all I see is that the game won't work.
Arnostyx... my Doctor Félix file is, alas, ready since weeks now, but I get a little tired constantly contacting customers' support..........

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Jan 21, 11 10:13 AM
tuttepeever wrote:There is some aspect to this game that is missing. After 2 minutes, it's difficult to put a finger on it. There is no hint button, no inventory, journal, etc etc at the bottom of the screen, just the X on the top left corner. What's with that?. Tried to play this on another site and it totally crashed my PC. Had to unplug it in order to get it working again. Is this another offering from BFG with a huge Glitch?

God I hope not or I will loose confidence in purchasing anything.

OMG. It crashed my PC again. It happens when I attempt to walk up the stairway. Anyone out there with any help. This has never happened to me before.

There is a thread explaining the hint system now. And also an explanation in the walkthrough. The X allows you to quit the game.

Not sure about the crashing though - played fine on my Windows 7 laptop and I sometimes do have problems with crashing etc in some games.

It's worth persevering if you can - really different game.

minnielou
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by minnielou on Jan 21, 11 10:39 AM
Well I have checked the things listed under the access violation help section, turned off my firewall, redownloaded the game and still have an access violation code. I have learned my lesson and will try the demos all first. This isn't the first time this has happened this is just the first time I decided to check the forums. I have been a member since 09 and needless to say the problem with some games is becoming more frequent.

Go to: