A letter to BFG

hd2222
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

Re:A letter to BFG

[Post New]by hd2222 on Jan 22, 11 8:27 PM
Oops ........ just noticed it is a BILLION downloads, not a million. Just imagine how that translates in $$$$. Now I really feel insignificant ....or ....maybe I feel important that I am in a minority who dares to express an honest opinion.

lvwalsh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by lvwalsh on Jan 22, 11 9:48 PM
Nilosh:

Loved your letter and agree. Am looking forward to see a reply from BF. I rarely see any replies from them. Seems like not worth writing if nothing get acknowledged and our concerns are not addressed.

[Post New]by Needletime2 on Jan 22, 11 10:56 PM
Very well put. I downloaded the trial and got to the letter in the drawer, almost had the letter done when I got a message that "windows version is not supported in my resolution". changed the resolution twice and now cant even get the letter out of the drawer!
Terribly frustrating.
While I understand also that sometimes these games have glitches...........aren't they tested??
I dont understand selling a product that does not work!!!!!!
Was really enjoying this game and would have bought it for sure.
I understand and agree with your statement that your enthusiasm is gone.......the frustration is a killer.
As far as doing other things with your money.............I do many other things.........that's not the issue! If I sold a product that did not work, refundable or not, I would not be in business too long.
While I have found this game site to be very good, they need to do a better job of making sure their products do what they are supposed to do.

[Post New]by friendlyalien on Jan 23, 11 9:44 AM
I WAS having many problems as you are, and I had gotten to the same point of not even wanting to buy any more games. However, I did finally figure out what was wrong from my end, and I haven't had a problem since.

Stroke of Midnight works perfectly for me.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 23, 11 10:13 AM
friendlyalien wrote:I WAS having many problems as you are, and I had gotten to the same point of not even wanting to buy any more games. However, I did finally figure out what was wrong from my end, and I haven't had a problem since.

Stroke of Midnight works perfectly for me.

Lucky old you !!! How did you do the trick ? Nothing works for me.......

recyclepile
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by recyclepile on Jan 23, 11 4:23 PM
The same thing happened to me. This was a very disappointing experience. I junked it after 20 minutes -- the vast majority of that 20 spent waiting for the game to unpack something or figure out what it wanted to do next.

Yet another example of the "developers developing for themselves and no one else" syndrome.

No sale.

vievieta
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by vievieta on Jan 23, 11 11:22 PM
Thank you Nilosh.

I now read the forms and ALWAYS play the hour Demo, to see if it works.

Bhilithinn
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by Bhilithinn on Jan 23, 11 11:29 PM
Thank you! I've been noticing more and more problems these days. I actually quit being a customer because of it, and am now starting to wonder if I should have come back.

I bought the CE of Haunted Legends: Queen of Spades (without demoing). It sounded really interesting, and my computer far exceeds ALL of the requirements. But guess what? It won't even run!

I would contact tech support, but the only thing that they seem to be able to suggest is that the problem is my computer. Well, according to their own specifications, the problem can't possibly be my computer.

5dogKnight
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by 5dogKnight on Jan 24, 11 5:35 AM
Hey ! From your point of view, I'd be a New Bee... But! I will say this. "When I make a purchase, I expect the product to work!" Simple as that is. It is the only criteria to consider. Enjoyment , like or dislike, cannot be evaluated if the darn thing does"nt work ! So as others say, "Do something else". Is the best advice! I will ! Leave them in the dust and tears of thier own folly and forge ahead in the greatest off-line adventure of all...... LIFE !!!!!!! Cheers !

MrLipid
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by MrLipid on Jan 24, 11 6:54 AM
I suspect one problem with The Stroke of Midnight is that it takes more hard drive space than indicated in the specs.

The specs claim 374MB.

My system says more like 950MB.

17MB of that is in the Games directory and 933MB is the resource.dat in Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Namco directory.

The resource.dat is the file that results from unpacking the resource.pak at the beginning.

[Post New]by Love_my_Husky on Jan 24, 11 7:00 AM
Thank you Nilosh, you make some very valid points.

IMHO, based on several indisputable facts, a large number of problems seem rooted in individual computer compatibility problems with the “dreaded” BFG Game Manager. The following BFG game downloads will not even launch on my system. Even when I go to the program file and attempt to circumvent the game manager, I only get the fateful black screen:

Deadtime Stories
Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials
Redemption Cemetery

However, I have now purchased all three of these games from other sites that do not use BFG for their downloads, and they each launch and play beautifully.

I purchased from BFG, and played without incident, Dark Tales: EAP’s the Black Cat and Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium. Within about a month of buying these two games, BFG implemented a game manger update (somewhere around November 18, 2010). After that update, these two games would no longer launch. I contacted CS, sent a Dr. Felix report, and jumped through all the hoops, to no avail. After a week of troubleshooting, and back and forth emails, CS issued a cash refund to me for the CE and gave me two game replacement coupons for the SE.

There have been a few other games that I have tried to demo but could not get them to launch. The majority of games with which I have experienced this problem tend to be from ERS Game Studios and Mumbo Jumbo. Admittedly, it doesn’t occur with all games from these two developers – just their newer ones.

I have pointed these facts out to CS in hopes that they will take a look at their game manager programming and strive for a resolution, if possible.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 24, 11 12:57 PM
I been to other site's but BG always has come through, If someone is not happy they give you a credit, I been unhappy a few time;s waited for a fix.. or got a credit with a nice email.. there always kind and helpful to there fishes..
I found out because of this I am staying with BF..many other sites are non caring ..so let's give BF more love and understanding.. Just a thought..

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jan 25, 11 12:50 AM
Needletime2 wrote:Very well put. I downloaded the trial and got to the letter in the drawer, almost had the letter done when I got a message that "windows version is not supported in my resolution". changed the resolution twice and now cant even get the letter out of the drawer!
Terribly frustrating.
While I understand also that sometimes these games have glitches...........aren't they tested??
I dont understand selling a product that does not work!!!!!!
Was really enjoying this game and would have bought it for sure.
I understand and agree with your statement that your enthusiasm is gone.......the frustration is a killer.
As far as doing other things with your money.............I do many other things.........that's not the issue! If I sold a product that did not work, refundable or not, I would not be in business too long.
While I have found this game site to be very good, they need to do a better job of making sure their products do what they are supposed to do.

If it was indeed a glitch on their end, most everyone would be experiencing the same problem or at least those with a similar operating system. When that happens, a patch is released to fix the problem as soon as possible. This is the only gaming site I know of that cares enough to even issue a patch!

It seems to me that people forget that a computer is a machine. As much as we all like to think that nothing is wrong with our PC's and if there is a problem with the game it MUST be BFG or the developers--most of the time it is not the case. Our computers could have dozens of little issues that we wouldn't necessarily know were even there...until an issue pops up, like being unable to play a game.

I just wish people would stop being so quick to blame BFG and the developers without first recognizing that the problem might actually be (gasp) their own computers!

Game works fine on this end and seems to work find for many others that have posted. If there was a glitch, there would be numerous people with the same issue as a glitch is an error in the programming.

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Jan 25, 11 1:58 AM
It is frustrating. I don't have problems that often, but when I do, it is ALWAYS something with my computer and not BFG. Just like several other posters, I go through the "it can't be my computer - it's new" routine. But apparently, even a new computer could need an update on a driver. Drivers are software programs and it is possible to have an old program on a new computer, or so I've been told. I'm blonde, so feel free to correct me if I said that wrong.

Bottom line is, I think the problems are usually because of little individual tweaks we have on our computers, which is why it works perfect for some and not others, even with the same system. I blame facebook and all their sneaky apps for upsetting my applecart, but that's just me. My probably ignorant opinion, but there you have it.

Since my last driver update (very easy to do with tech support holding your hand), I have been lucky and have no issues. But I agree about how distressing it is when you just want to play the darn game and nothing works. Still, the customer service at BFG is beyond outstanding - they will see you satisfied, even if it means issuing a game credit or two. The world would be a less stressful place if more companies operated like BFG, so I'm staying right here and taking my chances

Daranji
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Daranji on Jan 25, 11 2:13 AM
I am an elderly disabled lady who cannot get out very much. I think Big Fish are wonderful. I don't have any problems downloading the games and when I have had a problem they have dealt with it promptly and fairly.
I do enjoy most CE games but the only thing I would like to say is: --
my credits are mounting up because I cannot use them to buy CE games so why not let us use 2 credits to buy the CE games. Also I do get 1 or 2 free games with filling in cards and can only use them for standard games.
Well done BFG. Wouldn't go to any other site.

grammyapples
Herring
Herring
343 Posts

[Post New]by grammyapples on Jan 25, 11 2:14 AM
Very well said Nilosh,
It seems I have had more problems in the past couple of months than I have had in 5 years.

[Post New]by early_morning_ja on Jan 25, 11 6:50 AM
this game froze my computer hard shut down AGAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

[Post New]by early_morning_ja on Jan 25, 11 6:54 AM
OK - if it's my computer tell me what to do. I have new vid card new driver and we downloaded other drivers and the computer still isn't working on some of BF games or yahoo etc

[Post New]by RainbowExplorer on Jan 25, 11 7:27 PM
While I've only been involved in computer gaming for 6 months or so, I began my playing "career" using the first gaming website I encountered - NOT BFG! While I'm grateful to that website for "turning me onto" computer gaming, the prices there were outrageous, their staff attempted to overcharge my account on at least one occasion, & the customer service was nonexistent. Fortunately, I had the sense to only purchase two games from them (which I live, forever, with the fear that I will somehow damage or corrupt, thus necessitating recontacting that company - something I'd never CHOOSE to do, again!).

I have certainly had MY share of computer & gaming issues, since I've amassed 70 - 80 BFG games. Nearly every time, I've been CONVINCED that the problem has been on BFG's end of the situation. Truthfully, however, nearly every time, I've ended up EVENTUALLY (after MEGA-WORK/RESEARCH), learned that the problem lies elsewhere.

In at least two cases, I have contacted the game manufacturers DIRECTLY, about the flaws/problems & have been informed they are aware of them, but did not necessarily notify BFG about them. I have received corrected copies of the games, FROM THE MANUFACTURERS, themselves. They have, then, gone on to work with BFG to correct the flaw(s), for everyone else.

Both of the computers I own, are "hand-me-downs", passed along to me, by friends who were upgrading their own computers. I am DELIGHTED to have them, as they work beautifully & I haven't had to pay a cent to purchase them. However, I HAVE needed to upgrade the amount of memory & their video cards, from time to time. Neither of these has been excessively expensive & have fixed NUMEROUS problems I had previously had with some of my BFG games.

The BIGGEST surprise I've discovered, from having two different computers, both using Windows XP, third edition, is that, despite using the same OS's, there are STILL some games I can play on ONE of my computers, but not the other. It varies from game to game & I cannot explain why there is such a high degree of arbitariness, between the two computers. They are NOT the same brands, nor do they contain identical software products or security programs. Undoubtedly, those differences impact my game playing abilities.

BFG is not in control of any of the above issues & I will stick with them, due to their reasonable prices, high quality games, & exceptional CUSTOMER SERVICE!

[Post New]by RainbowExplorer on Jan 25, 11 7:30 PM
While I've only been involved in computer gaming for 6 months or so, I began my playing "career" using the first gaming website I encountered - NOT BFG! While I'm grateful to that website for "turning me onto" computer gaming, the prices there were outrageous, their staff attempted to overcharge my account on at least one occasion, & the customer service was nonexistent. Fortunately, I had the sense to only purchase two games from them (which I live, forever, with the fear that I will somehow damage or corrupt, thus necessitating recontacting that company - something I'd never CHOOSE to do, again!).

I have certainly had MY share of computer & gaming issues, since I've amassed 70 - 80 BFG games. Nearly every time, I've been CONVINCED that the problem has been on BFG's end of the situation. Truthfully, however, nearly every time, I've ended up EVENTUALLY (after MEGA-WORK/RESEARCH), learned that the problem lies elsewhere.

In at least two cases, I have contacted the game manufacturers DIRECTLY, about the flaws/problems & have been informed they are aware of them, but did not necessarily notify BFG about them. I have received corrected copies of the games, FROM THE MANUFACTURERS, themselves. They have, then, gone on to work with BFG to correct the flaw(s), for everyone else.

Both of the computers I own, are "hand-me-downs", passed along to me, by friends who were upgrading their own computers. I am DELIGHTED to have them, as they work beautifully & I haven't had to pay a cent to purchase them. However, I HAVE needed to upgrade the amount of memory & their video cards, from time to time. Neither of these has been excessively expensive & have fixed NUMEROUS problems I had previously had with some of my BFG games.

The BIGGEST surprise I've discovered, from having two different computers, both using Windows XP, third edition, is that, despite using the same OS's, there are STILL some games I can play on ONE of my computers, but not the other. It varies from game to game & I cannot explain why there is such a high degree of arbitariness, between the two computers. They are NOT the same brands, nor do they contain identical software products or security programs. Undoubtedly, those differences impact my game playing abilities.

BFG is not in control of any of the above issues & I will stick with them, due to their reasonable prices, high quality games, & exceptional CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Go to: