cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Secret Legacy: A Kate Brooks Adventure

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 23, 11 6:32 AM
bribling wrote:An old story but this has nice graphics and I don't mind playing a similar story yet again. Some items are very small which might be a problem. Don't forget to scroll left and right in order to find everything.

I had a glitch after 10 min. (see the technical issues thread) which some others have also. I will try this game again later after I see if there will be a fix/update.

Don't know if you need a fix or not but when was the last time you saw a "fix"? I've been waiting for fixes on several games. I don't think they bother anymore. I contacted BF many times about an available update needed for Zen Gems after it was offered as a DD and tech help said they would look into it. Never got it. Finally got a refund.

Do they have to pay for upgrades? If not why don't we get them when they are available? No fixes on at least 2 CEs, even though the problems were fixed by the time the SE came out. I just don't buy CEs or games that need a fix anymore. The last fix I remember was MKFTP2 after many, many complaints to devs.

If anyone knows why we don't get fixes, I would love to know.

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 6:33:29 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jan 23, 11 7:03 AM
I am enjoying this game, I like the mix of words/silhouettes to find & some of the items are difficult to spot which means I am taking a long time to play which is a bonus in my book.

The graphics are beautiful & I wish I could afford a house such a lovely library, I have a widescreen monitor & it is bliss to have the whole screen filled.

I don't mind rolling the screen left & right to see all of the room but I do wish I could use my mouse to scroll instead of having to come back to the bottom of the screen to use the arrows.

The music is a bit bland but not obtrusive & the hint recharge at one minute is fine.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 23, 11 7:08 AM
CasualGran wrote:
WolfenRaindancer wrote:What are your settings on your wide screen set at? Most games play full screen on mine too, but there are a few that haven't...black bars on the side...but I don't even get the full game scene, as the top part is cut off. I am now stuck because I can't click on the object that is off my screen.

My settings, on my Windows 7 32 bit, is 1680x1050.

I can't keep my settings that high... I have eye problems and would never be able to read my emails, facebook etc. and I don't relish the idea of changing it everytime I want to play the game. I'm not one to sit and finish the game in one or two sittings. Mine is at 1360 x 768 which is perfect for me but not for some of the games. The last few have had the black borders.

However, this game is weird. The intro was full screen, the beginning scenes were small and then the game was full screen, which pleased me. But I'll have to play the game in its entirety at one sitting if I want the game because the bottom is cut off and that is where the QUIT button is and the only way out is Control, Alt , Delete and that probably won't save my game. Not a buy for me. I won't even try more of the demo.

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 7:29:04 AM PST

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jan 23, 11 8:04 AM
There are some things I really like about this game. The story is interesting and it's the type of game I generally enjoy. It just feels like it was issued before it was ready. Many of the objects are very hard to pick up after you find them. I clicked on the baseball bat so many times and all I got was a swirling cursor. I finally looked for a different bat then went to the clue and it put me back at the bat I originally found. I still couldn't pick it up and went to the forums which basically said just keep clicking which I did and finally got it. I had the same problem in the next room with the glasses. I even got the swirling hand by clicking on the navigation arrows at the bottom to slowly pan the room. That becomes ridiculous. One of the silhouette searches had something that looked like an oar to me. Again I searched forever and finally went to the clue. It was a key. It looked nothing like a key in the silhouette. I want a game like this but sadly this just isn't the one I want to spend my money on.

Developers it looks like you put a lot of work into this game but just released it before it was ready. If a fix comes up I will buy it but for now I think a lot of people that normally would love it are passing.

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 8:06:03 AM PST

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Jan 23, 11 8:22 AM
jkuci wrote:
Really love this game and could not pull myself away from the demo which auto stopped at 60 minutes.

Not easy, great graphics, great game play with scrolling, expert mode available and seems like it will be a long game - at least, for me.

Bought it and I'm heading back now to continue playing!

P.S. The game works perfectly for me and is in full screen on my 22 inch monitor.

Totally agree. I have a 23" Acer wide screen monitor, and my settings are 1600/900. The game plays on the full screen and I am having no difficulty picking up objects. Graphics are really great, and I like the idea of being able to control the speed of the scroll. A buy for me.

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Jan 23, 11 8:27 AM
Another huge file game with no substance. And, it appears that grandma is an ancient artifacts thief. No wonder she was offed!

I only played about 10 minutes...don't know why the file was so big, nothing spectacular about it.

No buy!

TxConnie
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by TxConnie on Jan 23, 11 8:30 AM
This moves really jerky on my laptop. I normally don't have problems. Also the bedroom **** scene that gives you an inventory item (the one on the chair) never triggers for me. Sigh. No buy for me.

[Post New]by rockislandred on Jan 23, 11 8:31 AM
i also clicked several times on the baseball bat and finally gave up on it. it even gave it as a hint, but would not register.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jan 23, 11 8:57 AM
Intriguing story, adequate graphics, pleasant music, a choice of difficulty modes, good tutorial that explains the functions and actual play; and, (Hooray!) intelligible script and dialogue. I think the playing time will be a bit short, unfortunately. After I finished the demo, I scrolled through the walkthrough to see how far I had gotten, and I am about one-third finished. The only problem I found that was actually annoying, was that with a few objects, finding the right spot to click on them was very difficult. The hints recharge quickly (I am not playing the Expert mode.), mini-games can be skipped (I have not used that option.), and there is no time limit. The fact that your lists of objects are in various places in each scene is a nice little imaginatve twist; and the mini-games (so far) have been challenging, but not impossible. The inventory is very easily accessible and it is fun to find the place to use each item. So far it has not been difficult at all to find my way back to a previous location to use anything. I'll buy this one. All in all, I would give this 1/2 out of 5.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jan 23, 11 8:57 AM
rockislandred I clicked towards the left end of the bat.

Is it just me or was the music in another game, too??????

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 23, 11 9:05 AM
Yosemite1956c wrote:Another huge file game with no substance. And, it appears that grandma is an ancient artifacts thief. No wonder she was offed!

I only played about 10 minutes...don't know why the file was so big, nothing spectacular about it.

No buy!

Yosemite said it right. A huge file with nothing to offer.

This is such a disappointment. First of all I don't like looking for silhouetted items, especially when you can't see them. The items are itsy bitsy, teeny weeny. I don't care for side to side scroll bars. What did it for me is when I clicked on the side to side scroll bar, the cursor went loop de loop because I had clicked too many times. What???? If Benoit Sokal had anything to do with this, I am very disappointed.

bfgDonau
Flounder
Flounder
2,464 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDonau on Jan 23, 11 9:18 AM
Hi everyone!

Thanks for getting this thread going. I'm going to go ahead and sticky it at the top of the Forum.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you're encountering any technical issues with the game, please be sure to post them in the Post any The Secret Legacy: A Kate Brooks Adventure technical issues here only thread and to also get in touch with Customer Support. This way we can keep this thread reserved just for reviews.

Thanks and happy gaming!

-bfgDonau

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Jan 23, 11 9:18 AM
momshere wrote:Uninstalled after 10 minutes due to two words - PIXEL HUNTING

I could SEE the objects, I could click on them but couldn't "pick them up". When I spent nearly half the 10 minutes attempting to pick up first the telephone, then the baseball bat (after I finally got the telephone and was able to move on), I just said forget it. I don't want to have to FIND. JUST. THE. RIGHT. PIXEL. to be able to pick up an object I have found. Like trying to pick hair off a sweater. *shudder*

Ha ha ha! I can't stand it when a game is like that "Pixel hunting" that is a good way to put it! LOL! I will demo it and see how it is for me, but I know exactly what you're talking about and it drives me crazy when games are like that and it's not a good selling point. I think some game developers get confused between hidden object games and making their objects so difficult to find and pick up that they alienate the player to the point that they lose buyers, LOL!

[Post New]by kangaroo555 on Jan 23, 11 9:35 AM
I saw the name Benoit Sokal also, got very excited. Alas, not of the caliber of Syberia's 1 and 2. So far, its ok, but I am probably letting my disappointment colour how I feel.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jan 23, 11 10:03 AM
Sorry folks. Not for me. This is virtually a straight hog. Very little interaction as far as I can see. Found 8 pieces of a letter, I was expecting to put it together in a jigsaw mini-game when the game put it together for me. I trudged through more rooms but it was just more plain HOG scenes. I did find one mini game but it was so easy (and I was playing in hard mode) and then yet more HOG scenes. I like to DO something! Perfect for straight HOG lovers though. I don't think this should be classed as an adventure.

Back to Westward Kingdoms!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 23, 11 10:04 AM
kangaroo555 wrote:I saw the name Benoit Sokal also, got very excited. Alas, not of the caliber of Syberia's 1 and 2. So far, its ok, but I am probably letting my disappointment colour how I feel.
I do agree, Sokal and I thought GREAT, but I'm a little disappointed too. The game seems really easy, too easy in fact, but didn't notice (should have) if it was mentionned H0G or adventure. So I hesitate buying.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 23, 11 10:15 AM
I like this.. Something a little different other than ghost stories. Enjoy everyone's comment's and always read before I purchase game or think about doing It. Like the grapics and storyline. A good one..

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Jan 23, 11 10:27 AM
Well, I demoed the game and I had no problem with the game...no glitches the graphics were crystal clear and I had no probems picking anything up. There were equal amounts of lists of word HOG scenes as there were to the scenes that included the matching the silouette to the object so it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'll probably get this one! I enjoyed the story line and had no problem finding the objects.

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Jan 23, 11 10:35 AM
sinshack wrote:T

Don't make my mistake and click the word "Hint" instead of the pocketwatch thing below it. If you do that, you get a very "helpful" text box which tells you that you need to find the things on the list or the silhouettes. DUH!!!! Now where is it???? I was ready to scream until I realized I was clicking in the wrong spot - I guess I should have done the tutorial after all.

Hi Sinshack, I am laughing because I did the very same thing and wondered why they would give such a lame hint. I finally "wised-up" and was a happy camper.

I do like this game, but after my hour was over I was glad to take a break. This is a game that is fine in small doses and therefore is good for many hours of play. I do like the graphics, but they remind me of my dining room and how much stuff I have to deal with. I am downsizing and it is a royal pain! That said, this is a good game that should be tried out to see if you like it.

I try out every game (TM excluded). For me, the TM games are too much like real life. I have been "managing" life for 78 years and like a little escape. Now, I find that the HOGs look like my house and it is much more pleasant to clean up the screen than to deal with all of the paraphernalia I have accumulated all of these years.

To the developers, please keep the games coming. They do preserve sanity!
Perhaps these games are a prescription for mental health! Who knows..........

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 10:48:54 AM PST

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Jan 23, 11 10:48 AM
Not for me either,I've got a widescreen and I can't see half of the list.Probably would've been disappointed anyway if the first letter was anything to go by,I like to put things together myself.

Go to: