ahsten75
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Island Tribe

[Post New]by ahsten75 on Jan 24, 11 12:39 PM
I really enjoyed the spin this game gave to MKFP/Roads to Rome -- mainly the fog that covered the areas to be explored. The animations are entertaining and you can chain tasks (yeah!)

On the downside, on reading other reviews, replayability is not that great and the game length is not that long. The other thing I noticed is that there's no track of best times. I've played MKFP over and over trying to beat my own time and the developer's time.

Maybe I'll bet Island Tribe 2 if they add some new features.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jan 24, 11 1:02 PM
I'm so happy to see this game here! I love MKFTP but the dragon has me stymied mid-way through the last island .

No such worries here. The timer is purely for calculating awards Gold, Silver, Bronze. Then if you don't make it, you start dropping points....but you don't have to start over. I noticed a brief sound effect of a beating heart and I thought "oh no, this isn't Cradle of Rome!" with that timer of death. No, that sound appears it might signify falling from gold to silver to bronze to 'okay now we're docking your points because you're so slow!'.

Okay, as long as I don't see the dragon. Sorry, flashback MKFTP.

With this gentle timer, you can compete with yourself for best scores AND finish all the levels. Perfect for me . Now off to buy.
Kellie

Edit to add: There are 23 achievements. Despite no pressure-cooker timer, gonna have to strategize and hustle to go for Gold. It does show High Scores, but don't see where it tracks Fastest Times, which as Ashten75 pointed out, would be a nice improvement.

Edited on 01/24/2011 at 1:15:22 PM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jan 24, 11 1:46 PM
i thought i just played this the other day... but i guess i was mistaken because the screenshots don't look familiar... and, well, it's supposed to be new...

i really liked the game i played, though - more like a cross between MKFTP and build-a-lot... now that i think of it, it was probably a beta...

i'll have to check out this one, too, i guess

more on this later...

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jan 24, 11 3:05 PM
yes, quite a different game...

i usually take a few seconds at the beginning of a level to check the lay of the land and get a fix on my main targets and the hardest obstacles... not so here... the fog that covers the land means you have to fly by the seat of your pants and just go, go, go...

like our other beloved road games, we have to clear debris and fix the potholes... and then we have to put out fires... now some of the fires are from the lava leaks that have torn the island apart, but some of them spring up in the middle of a level at a random lightning strike! whoa and then there's the repairing and building of services you need: a well, a sawmill, a grain farm... an apiary... a dairy farm... and you might want to upgrade that well when you can because the farms, the apiary, the fires - those take a lot of water!

and then there are the creature obstacles... wasps, boars... shaman and snakes... but there are also rewards - random diamonds and jewels pop up all over the screen... ooooh, sparklies! although i never really took the time to find out why i was collecting them, i did manage to grab just about every one i saw

what i would really like to know is where's jane? i mean, this is a realore game, isn't it?? and i'm thinking that, with the way these island guys know how to party - she'd have a great time!

[Post New]by Sutured on Jan 24, 11 3:41 PM
I wanna post a thing that I didn't like about. It doesn't tell you how much time is the gold goal.

In a 8 minutes stage, I played and got over it while there was 3,5 minutes left. When it got me on the main map, I surprisingly saw that I got a silver. But without warning or so I thought. I replayed it and when there was 4 minutes left, I heard a sound which meant that the gold time was over. Hey, how should I know that this stage has only 4 minutes to get gold? At first glance it seemed to me that half of the total time is the gold medal but soon I proved wrong.

We have all played many great time management games. I can't think why this thing happens here.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 24, 11 4:59 PM
The graphics are cute. The gameplay is TM on the lines of Roads of Rome or MKFTP. The storyline is original and creative.

This game is an A.

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Jan 24, 11 6:08 PM
hannah57 wrote:I played the demo for the hour and I'm not really sure if I want to buy it. I find it a cheap version of Roads Of Rome. Its like they're trying to copy them but they aren't as talented. I hope this post doesn't seem negative because I'm not trying to be, I'm trying to explain my feelings on the game development.

I love the idea of the game, but I too think the graphics are a little cheap looking and the game seems to be a short one with only 30 levels I think they said. It is nice you can click ahead, but I think the strategy would come into play big time, if you clicked ahead and then needed to change something, not sure if you can undo, did not try that. I want to buy it, but need to watch my money closer, so wait a few days and then see.

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on Jan 24, 11 7:14 PM
This game is fine, but for me nothing really new from MKFTP or Roads. I do like that you can chain actions ahead of time, don't like that the only way you know you are going from gold to silver medal is that a clock starts ticking--it would have been nice to have a visual cue as well.

I'm very surprised that is releasing this game the same week as Jack of All Tribes, (see Mudrock's thread), as the games are very similar. I demo'd Jack on the developer's website & for me it is a little more entertaining so will hold off on this one.

Be nice to have the TM games spread out a little bit more....

Lafondue
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Lafondue on Jan 25, 11 12:50 AM
good game...but way too short...also not really challenging since when the timer reach 0, can still finish the level...some tech glitch not welcome...could have been a great game but as it is just good....

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jan 25, 11 4:59 AM
Hello all.

I love this game. It isn't quite as easy as it first appears. I haven't figured out the gold silver thingy yet as all my statues are the same colour.

It is a fantastic game to start off with esp for younger fishes as there is NO pressure to finnish in time, unless you are an old hand and like me "HAVE TO GET GOLD ON EVERY LEVEL"

I loved MKFTP & Wonderberg & thanks to your reviews I shall probably try the Roads to Rome one.

PS just worked out the gold silver thingy. If the counter is green you get gold, yellow =silver & red I assume =bronze.

Live and learn

Edited on 01/25/2011 at 5:42:13 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jan 25, 11 7:04 AM
Hi again, sorry can't edit my last post any more, but I have just learned that...........{I am not the fastest fishy in the pond } LOL

Your gold silver or what ever scores show up directly after the level in the form of a plaque, the level statues do not seem to recognise this. Again a great idea for score sensitive noobies at this genre

goeash
Koi
Koi
83,226 Posts

[Post New]by goeash on Jan 25, 11 12:37 PM
Lovely game - I shall buy this one.

[Post New]by Seelybrook on Jan 25, 11 7:52 PM
I enjoyed this game, It moved right along. This is the kind of game that is fun for me, when I don't feel like getting aggravated with how slow I am. I like no pressure.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 26, 11 4:50 AM
I played not quite the 1-hour demo before uninstalling the game again. As cute as it is, it gets very quickly repetitive even though there is a lot of different things to do. But, like "Roads to Rome", this is not really my kind of game.

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Jan 26, 11 11:19 AM
For Kitty1: I have played this game for an hour and have now played Jack of all Tribes and agree there are many similiarities but I think I may like this game more. Will probably end up buying both LOL Anyway thanks for your info.

Edited on 01/26/2011 at 11:21:49 AM PST

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Jan 26, 11 1:59 PM
Really like this game. The graphics are good and I like the way the fog covers areas so it makes the game slightly different from the other similar games.
Only things I didn't like was the length, it's not a very long game.
Great though!

[Post New]by beachbum19 on Jan 27, 11 8:02 AM
Finished building sled and game won't advance to next level. Have re-done level 3 times.

Nessikk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Nessikk on Jan 28, 11 5:26 AM
I think it's a cute game. It feels like the developers have put their heart into their work, it really does I absolutely adore the graphics and the atmosphere in this nice little world.

sja1
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by sja1 on Jan 29, 11 5:56 PM
beachbum19 wrote:Finished building sled and game won't advance to next level. Have re-done level 3 times.

I saw on another thread that this might mean you didn't rebuild all the totems on that level. You might try checking that out.

TKincaidIN
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by TKincaidIN on Jan 29, 11 7:18 PM
Game is too easy. If you are a TM fan I don't think it will offer enough for you. Seems to give you too much time to get things done. And you can beat most levels by just clicking whatever is available. IMO

Go to: