Ilkie
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for A Girl in the City

[Post New]by Ilkie on Jan 31, 11 3:44 AM
Thanks everyone for the great reviews. It really does help me decide if I download or not.
Goofyduck seems to have the same tastes as me so this game will be left alone.
Back to Phantasmat, at least we've had a few good games this month!

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 31, 11 3:55 AM
Yea, I have to agree with everyone else. A no buy. And I saw the Aash ash shovel. Really? Who do they think plays these games? If they think kids are playing they are so wrong. Kids have Wii's. It's us old farts who play these games. The ones with no eyes that have to use magnifying glasses to see stuff. The ones that are also HOG savy and want adventures. Finding tiny little taxi cabs and the "exit" sign above the door in the pizza place. I just clicked there because that is where exit signs usually reside. You could not actually "see" anything there. Anyway. Go back to your game developing studio and come back when you have something more worthwhile.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 31, 11 5:19 AM
I played the whole demo, and it seemed like I played a very long time. That is NOT a good thing. The game was just tedius for me, with one short chore after another. I didn't mind the H0 scenes for the most part, but in some - like the fashion store where she goes to buy something to wear to lunch - the items were extremely small and didn't make sense. Not too many stores specializing in women's fashions have men's hats, ties, shes, etc. scattered around.

I would like her to do my grocery shopping for me, though - she managed to get 9 bags of groceries with just $10.75? (9 dollar bills, 7 coins that I assume were quarters.)

Overall, the game could have been much better with a bit of editing and a bit more thought going into the mini-games. Nobody likes to play a no-win game, and the game to slide the pizza out of the oven was a no-win. It was mathmaticly impossible to get the large pizza out without removing one of the smallest pizzas first. Then to "solve" the puzzle with the button and still be told you didn't do it fast enough was insulting.

I know they put a lot of work into this game, and I really hate giving bad reviews, but there just is too much "junk" going on in this game and not enough substance to make it interesting. Highlight for spoiler: You just "know" somewhere along the line she's going to get together with that creepy little guy (who seems stalker-ish to me) So this will have to be a "no buy" for me. Too bad, because I need just one more punch to fill out my 3rd card this month, and today is the last day of the month. I will have to go through my "maybe" list to see if there is one I'm willing to pay for so I don't lose the whole card! (and yes, I understand why we can't carry-over punches from one month to the next. Besides, that's WHY they have the punch program, so we buy "just one more". Great sales tactic, and it benefits me as much as BFG so I don't mind.)

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Jan 31, 11 5:44 AM
quizzly wrote:Too much time pressure and as far as I could see no relaxed mode - I have enough of that in my real life so this game is a no buy for me.

There is a timed mode. When you create a profile, it asks you which you want to play, relaxed or timed.

Having said that, I'm not too keen on HDO games and I don't honestly think this one is for me either.

Meant to say too - only 3 hints for the whole game?????

Edited on 01/31/2011 at 5:45:30 AM PST

gama58
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by gama58 on Jan 31, 11 6:16 AM
I don't normally post any comments, but today I will. I read all the reviews and they were all negative, however, I am one of those people that will try anything once. Well, I am with the majority on this game. I definitely won't be buying this one.

SnowMeow
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by SnowMeow on Jan 31, 11 6:30 AM
Did not hold my interest. No buy here.
SnowMeow (Calif.)

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jan 31, 11 6:31 AM
As per usual I seem to be going against the grain with this game. I played without a timer and I got to gather 6 hints since you acquire more when doing the puzzles. I didn't need to skip any puzzles as I found them easy. Cherbto said how to do them in her post. You have one button to swap and one to rotate. It REALLY isn't difficult and just because a game has a different interface doesn't make it bad game imho. I agree about some of the spelling though! I quite enjoyed the map scenes as being English I hadn't a clue where everything is in NY so enjoyed learning that.

It reminded me very much of Slingo Who's Gold, which I played twice, as I enjoy collecting several of an item and again they were very easy to see - there is also a zoom facility. The 40 mins demo flew by which is always a good sign for me.

All in all a different sort of HOG and please don't be put off by a different interface to the usual sort.

PS. I did the pizza slider puzzle and was told it wasn't any good - so I presume from this you are meant to 'fail'.

Mirmur
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Mirmur on Jan 31, 11 6:36 AM
Thank you for you thoughts. It helped me to take a decision. If everybody says that this game is not worth buying that I will not.
It is great when you can listen for an advice before buying.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jan 31, 11 6:50 AM
Hello,

I really didn't like this game either.

Find boats, find taxies, then find landmarks. I am a Brit who wouldn't know the statue of Liberty from the Grand Canyon. (Slight exageration I guess) but I hated the street map & hated having to scroll the map. At that stage I uninstalled.

I am sure a lot of work went into the game, but by BF normal standards this was poor.

3/10

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Jan 31, 11 7:22 AM

[Post New]by Coronagold on Jan 31, 11 7:41 AM
Just from the title and contemporary graphics I didn't even bother downloading the demo.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jan 31, 11 7:52 AM
I played through the entire demo and although there were things that I didn't like for the most part it was a pretty good experience. At first it does seem a little confusing as to whether or not there is a relaxed mode. There is, it's the standard mode. You only start out with 3 clues but you can earn up to 6. I generally prefer a game with unlimited clues however in the entire hour I only had to use 1 clue and I don't have the best eyesight. The music was pleasant and very unobtrusive. One thing I appreciated was that in any scene the objects in that scene made sense to the setting. Another thing I liked was a zoom button that gave you a clloser view of things.I found several objects using this device. The mini puzzles were ok. I only bailed out on one of them.Incidenttally the slider puzzle (pizza) that a lot of people don't like is something I actually enjoy and although I can't always solve them I do better on them then a lot of other things.The one thing I did find annoying was after finishing one thing and moving to the next instead of just being able to click anywhere on the screen you had to click on the arrow in the right lower corner.
So will I buy this game. I haven't decided yet. One strong reason to ,is that it has none of the dark spooky elements that I don't like and I do want to encourage the availability of non dark games. However although I did enjoy the hour I'm not sure I would the entire game. I'll have to think about it.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jan 31, 11 7:52 AM
I didn't particularly care for the game either. I do agree with Goofy & the others, you "fail" the pizza slider in order to get the delivery job. Unfortunately, I think it causes some confusion because if you're playing the standard mode as I did there's a moment where you think, "Huh???" I skipped it and it still said I failed, but then you get the delivery job. Something happens, not saying what for those that haven't played & you get another job. One thing about the hint system. Yes you can earn more, but what I found odd is that even if you had a number of hints left you stil had to wait before you could use a second hint. Overall, there is a lot of potential for the game, but it needs some work. I've played much worse.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jan 31, 11 8:03 AM
sinshack wrote:I played the whole demo, and it seemed like I played a very long time. That is NOT a good thing. The game was just tedius for me, with one short chore after another. I didn't mind the H0 scenes for the most part, but in some - like the fashion store where she goes to buy something to wear to lunch - the items were extremely small and didn't make sense. Not too many stores specializing in women's fashions have men's hats, ties, shes, etc. scattered around.

I would like her to do my grocery shopping for me, though - she managed to get 9 bags of groceries with just $10.75? (9 dollar bills, 7 coins that I assume were quarters.)

Overall, the game could have been much better with a bit of editing and a bit more thought going into the mini-games. Nobody likes to play a no-win game, and the game to slide the pizza out of the oven was a no-win. It was mathmaticly impossible to get the large pizza out without removing one of the smallest pizzas first. Then to "solve" the puzzle with the button and still be told you didn't do it fast enough was insulting.

I know they put a lot of work into this game, and I really hate giving bad reviews, but there just is too much "junk" going on in this game and not enough substance to make it interesting. Highlight for spoiler: You just "know" somewhere along the line she's going to get together with that creepy little guy (who seems stalker-ish to me) So this will have to be a "no buy" for me. Too bad, because I need just one more punch to fill out my 3rd card this month, and today is the last day of the month. I will have to go through my "maybe" list to see if there is one I'm willing to pay for so I don't lose the whole card! (and yes, I understand why we can't carry-over punches from one month to the next. Besides, that's WHY they have the punch program, so we buy "just one more". Great sales tactic, and it benefits me as much as BFG so I don't mind.)
it was not impossible to get out the big pizza without removing a small one.I did it. It just took a littlte time and thought.

[Post New]by Linda_in_Aussie on Jan 31, 11 8:25 AM
When I read the title of this game, I thought "wow... something different" but how disappointing reading all the comments - and I actually read every one of them.

I might give the demo a try and have my own opinion but the consistency in everyone's comments gives me the impression that it's not the greatest game.

Thanks everyone! I do appreciate your thoughts. I'll go back to Shadow Wolf now....

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Jan 31, 11 9:24 AM
One word for this game : STUPID !!!!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jan 31, 11 9:26 AM
I lasted 15 minutes into the demo. All I can say is I'm glad I was able to fill my punch card yesterday. A definite from me.

[Post New]by PlayeRex on Jan 31, 11 9:32 AM
Absolutely did not like this HOG at all. First having to find boats, taxis, & landmarks (they put Times Square in the wrong place BTW), and then going to work in a filthy pizzeria. I thought what really bothered me was the fact that this is a game about NYC that obviously wasn't made by real New Yorkers (they gave themselves away by asking you to looking for cola "adverts" rather than cola "ads"), but the game in general is just bad. I quit after the pizza slider puzzle which apparently there was a time limit for which I wasn't aware of. I guess it was also annoying for me because I actually live in NYC and I couldn't stand the impossibility of the backstory. No one who exists on small time jobs could live comfortably in Manhattan.

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Jan 31, 11 9:58 AM
goofyduck77 wrote: And I believe the pizza slider puzzle was "meant to fail" so you could move on to the delivery job. (Somebody let us know if the slider pizza puzzle gets solved and doesn’t fail or something else happens.) .

I did solve the pizza slider puzzle and loved the crossword one once I figured out that I could rotate the squares. I think this game takes some getting used to. Once I found that you could use the magnifying glass to then "grab" the scene and move it about (shades of the Google maps). I found all of the stuff on the ceiling.

That said, I still feel this game could be a DD as I found some of the searches tedious (taxi, boat, and whatnot searches). Also, the graphics were somewhat primitive looking (as in older games). I must admit I am a fan of the eerie and spooky with great graphics.

I so value the reviews, Thank you for keeping us on our toes!

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jan 31, 11 10:04 AM
Nah.

Go to: