gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Jewel Keepers: Easter Island

[Post New]by gimmegames on Feb 1, 11 1:36 PM
I finished playing the demo and used the last punchcard coupon I own on it. The game felt a lot more relaxing to me once I went back as a new player to understand the power-ups. No confusion now, just game. By the end of the demo I was enjoying it and bopping along to the music.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Feb 1, 11 1:52 PM
12george wrote:What's a girl to do when she can't find a good new game on her birthday. Sure isn't this one ...And i also tried Detective Agency and i didn't like it either.. So two no buys for me today..

Just wanted to drop in and say HAPPY BIRTHDAY and sorry that there weren't any from today. My birthday's coming up next week; enjoy your special day anyway

MEnr56

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Feb 1, 11 2:04 PM
Sigh. Another mash-up of old characters, stories, and history misinterpreted or misconstrued and then smooshed together to form some sort of backdrop for a game.

Options: Can only be accessed from the main menu. Exiting out of a game board to the main menu resets that board, so if you want to change the sound or switch to windowed mode, you need to wait until you're between boards.

Sounds: Music is nice and on a decently long loop. The sound effects are, to me, exceedingly irritating. Imagine a plinking tone that's sort of a cross between tapping on glass and a steel drum being hit in the same spot every time you make a match, and you get the idea.

Graphics: Simple and cartoon-y, nothing awful but nothing great. I'm surprised Disney hasn't dinged this company for stealing their little Lilo for one of the characters. Not an exact match, but darned close.

Board colors: are bright and tiles are distinctive. I sometimes have trouble when colors look pretty but are so close in tone to each other they look similar during fast gameplay. There are a few that flash and blink in a mildly irritating manner.

Gameplay: Basic match-3 with a timer and multiple powerups. Powerups like line clearers cannot be moved, only clicked in place. There is a multi-color powerup tile that goes through the colors so quickly it's impossible to use in a match unless you've got the hand-eye co-ordination of Neo in the Matrix.

Action: feels mechanical and not smooth on my ancient computer. No lag, just very "notchy" feeling.

Nothing truly awful about this game, but also nothing outstanding. In 40 minutes I didn't see a single thing that isn't available for free with simple online m-3 games like Unwell Mel.

I get the feeling this is an old game that's been repackaged.

1 out of 5 stars for me.

----
edit: With a little search, I found this was a PSP release last year, so not old, just originally designed for a different format.

Edited on 02/01/2011 at 2:10:16 PM PST

jyork
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by jyork on Feb 1, 11 2:33 PM
This game becomes annoying quite fast just becuase there is no option to slide the jewel. You have to click on each jewel to switch it. Come on devs, is this your first Match 3??

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Feb 1, 11 2:51 PM
I bought the game and am up to level 15 now, with about a 3rd of that circular puzzle thing completed. I'm finding it relaxing and enjoyable so far, and just different enough to be interesting.

The only change in the board so far has been the addition of a few holes in it. The effect on the gameplay is the same as the blocks, except when the blocks are removed, the holes are still there to work around.

The main thing with the timer is to keep making matches. When I've lost a round it's often because I got focused on one area of the board, trying to make the last tile gold, and wasn't making enough matches in general to keep the timer filled up.

Someone mentioned a problem finding the game's Exit. It's on the main menu screen - the lower left icon.

I'm seeing in this forum several things said about this game that make me say to take the comments with a grain of salt. I don't expect that everyone will like this game, but I do think it's a decent one.

Zobig
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Zobig on Feb 1, 11 4:13 PM
No buy for me too for all the same reasons. I want to control my game. No timer option is another. I just don't understand why the developers do not offer that feature, after so many comments have been made on other games about time mode.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Spookys_Mom
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Spookys_Mom on Feb 1, 11 4:19 PM
I was so excited when I saw a M3 for today. But alas it was not to be the tiles do not slide you have to click on one and then the other to swap. A definite no buy for me.

[Post New]by Caniac on Feb 1, 11 4:55 PM
I did not like this gamae all. Totally not intuitive and tutorial didn't help much. No selection of play difficulty. I prefer non-timed games since I play games for relaxation and tryting to beat the clock is not relaxing. I definitely would not consider buying this game.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Feb 1, 11 5:32 PM
I usually love M3 games, but this gets a "meh" from me. One of my main pet peeves is that I wasn't able to make matches by clicking a tile and dragging it, I had to click on both tiles that I wanted to swap. My arthritic old hands get annoyed with that VERY fast! I liked the way they worked the timer, in that as long as you were making matches it filled up, but I agree with all the previous reviewers about how extremely annoying it was to have a strategy to fill blank spaces only to have an unwanted power-up form and blow your plan to smithereens. I played for about 55 minutes and finished the first quarter and got through 2 or 3 levels on the second quarter. I don't know if that means I got more than a quarter of the way through the levels, but if so I'd say that means not enough levels for a full price purchase. Also, I agree with the reviewers who said that the exit was not clearly marked. I found it, but why the developers didn't just have a button that says EXIT defeats me. I may use a coupon on it some time in the future when I'm stuck at the end of a month with 5 punches on my card, but it's a no-buy for me now.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Feb 1, 11 5:44 PM
Comment: I'm a huge fan of matching games but this one... boring. Not one thing about it did I like and the demo hour was excruciating to get through. I will not be purchasing this game even if it were offered as DD.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Feb 1, 11 7:35 PM
Meanwhile, I'm on level 30-something and more than 3/4 through with the round puzzle thing, and I'm finding it interesting and challenging. The boards do get more challenging when the holes are added in...

GONGA
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by GONGA on Feb 1, 11 9:23 PM
It was just O.K. the finger snapping in some of the background noise drove me bonkers,

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Feb 1, 11 9:50 PM
so my first thought was : jewel keepers?? like jewel quest??

and boy! right spot on! in fact, i think the whole game was borrowed from - same mechanics, same font in some places, just different characters and the whole thing is set to Keno music... the tinkling and zinging made me quit after two levels and i'm sure the medication i was given earlier is just making it better...

anyway - i hate click and click M3 games... i like to slide... and i like a game to think with me, not make me wait til it gets ready to make my next move... i may be a little dopey, but this game has some serious lagtime issues...

my advice: if you want to make a copy, make it better and make it your own - give it something right at the start that says we're different...

ruling: circular file

October7
Minnow
Minnow
298 Posts

[Post New]by October7 on Feb 1, 11 10:33 PM
Well I was waiting for a good M3 but this one is not the one. I got to level 11 and what got me I kept running out of moves and there was no shuffle and you had to do the level again. I have done level 11 4 times because of no more moves??????? duh. I also noticed that you had to keep making matches relatively quickly because there is a timer on it which runs out if you are trying to find a M3 and taking a while to find one. I think I will wait a bit longer for another. Happy birthday jkuci hope you find a game you like soon

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Feb 2, 11 12:00 AM
I've played to the end of story mode. There's 40 levels. I repeated some levels a few times, but no major difficulties. There's also a free play mode, where you can choose which level you want to play, of the 40. Well, I still like it... even if I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness in this forum.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Feb 2, 11 3:14 AM
At first I liked the game as a Match 3 with the powerups and such, but then it came time to start filling up the empty blocks which became very frustrating at around level 8. I kept running out of time because I was constantly trying to fill up the holes to make matches to clear the board. When the demo was up, I kind of felt relieved!

[Post New]by dolpin2852000 on Feb 2, 11 2:28 PM
I have not try this one yet and what I have read so fare I won't even try this I dont think.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by FeyKina on Feb 2, 11 5:40 PM
Only played a short while....but

Why do they still make double click M3's!?!
Your wrist just get tired, besides this one is just more of the same thing. Sorry , not for me. Slow and no creative payoffs .

stone07
Koi
Koi
68,662 Posts

[Post New]by stone07 on Feb 3, 11 1:06 AM
gimmegames wrote:I've played to the end of story mode. There's 40 levels. I repeated some levels a few times, but no major difficulties. There's also a free play mode, where you can choose which level you want to play, of the 40. Well, I still like it... even if I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness in this forum.

I bought it - because I enjoyed it. As soon as I bought it - the timer kicked in. The cursor is sloppy and I have to click on some of the icons 2 and 3 times. I can't fill up the board. I have played with two identities and still can't get passed level 9.

Do not make the same mistake I made.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Feb 3, 11 8:20 AM
stone07 wrote:
gimmegames wrote:I've played to the end of story mode. There's 40 levels. I repeated some levels a few times, but no major difficulties. There's also a free play mode, where you can choose which level you want to play, of the 40. Well, I still like it... even if I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness in this forum.

I bought it - because I enjoyed it. As soon as I bought it - the timer kicked in. The cursor is sloppy and I have to click on some of the icons 2 and 3 times. I can't fill up the board. I have played with two identities and still can't get passed level 9.

Do not make the same mistake I made.

Try looking at some of my other posts in this forum and see if there's tips there that help. All you have to do to keep the timer full is make matches anywhere on the board. It's probably easier for me than for some folks because I played all the Jewel Quest match-3 games, which are more challenging than this game.

Also, see if using the power-ups more strategically helps.

My mantra for all match-3 background tile changers: "corners and sides, corners and sides, I'm gonna get me some corners and sides..."

However, where there's holes or blocks you have to make gold tiles beneath, try to change the top tiles below those first - before depleting the blocks that are there when the game starts. That means less space-filling later.

Edited on 02/03/2011 at 8:29:13 AM PST

Go to: