lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Virtual Villagers: New Believers

[Post New]by lovemybook on Feb 12, 11 10:09 AM
I like this game very much. Because of the "conversion" thing it seems to me the characters have a little more personality. I've played all the VV, this is my favorite.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Feb 12, 11 9:12 PM
This was the first virtual villagers game that I had played, and I must say I found it slow and uninteresting. The tutorial didn't really explain the play well, and everything seemed to take ages! I finally got the food storage facility built and I managed to build a tent (though I probably should have built the tent for the newlyweds instead), but I was confused about how the characters seemed to "forget" their jobs. I'm still not sure if they were just resting or whether you have to keep at them. I figured out how to deal with the aggressive yellow masks, and I collected a lot of the artifacts, but I deleted it before finishing the demo because I started asking myself why I was playing this game...and went to wash my kitchen floor.

Even with games I don't personally like, I try to understand why people play them, but this one mystified me! Maybe I'll try one of the earlier ones to get the hang of it!

Rhowennah
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Rhowennah on Feb 13, 11 12:19 PM
I love this game... I too found it very slow in the begining, but soon things started to make sense so I kept going forward... now I am really into it... My advice is just to hang in there and things will be better in the game play... All of the VV games are slow in the begining so this one is no different... only you have to play around the yellow guards... they do make it harder to get things done, but if you just use one of your people as a decoy, to let the others do the job, it goes fast... I would suggest though, when you are doing the decoy thing, turn your sound off because it will be very noisy and bothersome...

I give this game a hugh

3pointers
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by 3pointers on Feb 13, 11 12:24 PM
Is this going to be available for the Mac soon? I'm curious why we don't get these games at the same time as the PC? I know it's been made for Mac by the developer.

[Post New]by flowercrazy40 on Feb 14, 11 8:26 AM
I'm really surprised anyone likes this game. This has to be one of the worst ones they've ever done! I think it's time to retire the Virtual Villagers games. This game is so slow and stupid! Those non-believer things drive me up a wall! Ugh. HATE this game and sorry I used my game credit on it. What a waste.

[Post New]by Dragonclaws0554 on Feb 15, 11 6:33 PM
Wow I am really surprised at the poor reviews.

If you have never played VV before I would suggest d/ling VV1 (its really cheap) and playing it first to learn the ropes. Vv5 is probably not the best version for a beginner because it doesn't have the tutorials like the other versions had.

Also about converting the Heathens (SPOILER AHEAD) (highlight to read)

The story is that you are returning the Heathens to their original God which is YOU, you guide the "guiding hand" which is the "God" that your villagers and all on Isola worship. You are NOT taking one culture and brainwashing it to another, you are returning a tribe of "Heathens" that lost their way to the path of their roots.

As for this specific version here is my list of pros and cons

Pros: New concept, more challenging if you choose not to cheat, larger map/play area, new powers.

Cons: not good for a first time VV player, missing the potions, needs MORE puzzles.

Basically if you like VV games and are not offended by the storyline of this version there should be nothing you won't like about this game

Ballz2u42
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Ballz2u42 on Feb 15, 11 7:02 PM
Last Day Of Work needs to really "reinvent" the game. Make the villagers have more personality and say things other than "Huh?" and "No" and "AAAH" or whatever. I liked picking/mixing herbs and making potions and stews which this game is lacking. I have no problem with the god-powers but the heathens are just ANNOYING.
I have played every VV game and usually finish almost everything, but I am losing interest in this one much quicker than the other 4. Oh well, I will probably be there downloading VV5, if they make one but I hope there are many improvements. Why can't the huts be upgraded for more population instead of building several small ones? Can they make food other than crops or fishing, like wild boar or something you can cook over the fire on a spit (maybe with some wild herbs for flavor)? More clothing variety woudl be nice and more interaction with the children and their parents. Also, what about pets like a monkey that can climb trees and get banana's or a parrott that can fly to other islands and bring back stuff....ok, I am getting a little out there so I will stop now. Take more time if you have to LDW, make it different and shake it up a little and please NO MORE HEATHENS, especially little ones in yellow masks.

deb1985
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by deb1985 on Feb 17, 11 11:21 AM
Compared to the other VV games, this one is kinda boring. I miss the potions. The powers are ok but not great.

Devotion should be easier to train once all the blue heathens have been converted. it's impossible to get a villager to start training that after the heathens have been converted.

One suggestion: teachers should teach the skill that's checked in the nursery school.

[Post New]by monkeysee12 on Feb 19, 11 3:19 AM
Sorry guys, I found this game highly insulting. I've played all the VV games and loved them, and yes, I've always felt somewhat like a "god" when playing, but in the end I decide that when the villagers can stand on their own two feet they have probably outgrown their "god" and it's time to leave.

The idea of preaching to the "heathens" is sooooo insulting to me, not to mention against everything I believe in, that I just can't do it. I mean really, how many of you answer the door when you know a thumper is on the other side? It made me ill just playing the game for the short hour.

As such, I won't be buying this one, I've deleted it from my computer, and I'll be leery of checking out another one. I'm looking for a replacement game for VV.

Sorry, but you've gone too far.

I have to give it the maximum amount of thumbs down. Just what were they thinking? I realize that pushing your religeon is the "in" thing to do right now, but some rational person must know that not everyone enjoys it being pushed down their throats.

lvdb
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by lvdb on Feb 19, 11 4:22 AM
I like this game, it's like the older VV but with nice additions. The puzzle's are fun and the totem's are a fun idea. The graphics are better, though there is a very annoying 'rascal'. I also think that your villagers die more often... Overall it's a cool game though

lvdb

Edited on 02/19/2011 at 4:22:53 AM PST

[Post New]by fifowkes on Feb 20, 11 12:20 PM
I do like this......I trialled the version on Last Day of Work's site, and thought - no - an hour is too short to really get into it - particularly if you are new to the concept! But I bought it on faith from BFG, and found it interesting and different enough from 1,2,3, & 4 to keep me going.

I understand some people's aversion to the "god" / "conversion" thing. But those that have played before - what have you been other than the "god" / "extreme controller" ? In previous games, you were doing exactly that - only without the conversion!

I never play with the sound on - I prefer Radio 4! So I can't comment on that. But in terms of graphics and game play - as good if not better than previously. Yes, the heathens are annoying, but maybe that is an extra challenge for us to overcome. I must admit, that I prefer the shorter length of time it takes to build/demolish things - does anyone remember that bloody statue you had to erect in VV3? Took forever! Oh - and I agree with the comments about the random orange mask - he should be given an ASBO!

I will agree that this is probably not the right game to begin with. The VV series has grown in complexity of tasks/puzzles & ideas - I didn't do the tutorial, so I don't know what it was like, but reading other comments, it seems it was pretty sketchy. Maybe the developers should take this into account so as not to put off new gamers? I think that it is already difficult enough to "sell" the game to new users with only 1 hours trial, as it only gets into its stride a bit of the way down the line. I would, however, recommend new users to try VV1 or VV2 first to get a view of how to proceed. Yes - it is slow - but that means it lasts for weeks - what other games in this genre can say that - that represents good value to me! Oh - ant just to say - I still have my VV4 tribe going strong - just check on them once in a while to make sure they are ok!! And that must be a good 6 months or more - good value or not??!!

One small gripe - because women have the children, & are inactive for 2 years - this affects their ability to gain top level skills to become jack of all trades-virtually impossible for them to become master in parenting. A reflection on real life??!! It does make me go for the men to upskill - and that's not right!

A big thumbs up! :-)

Moonbow002
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Moonbow002 on Feb 20, 11 5:42 PM
I read somewhere that I could get a stratagy guide for this game. Can someone please tell me where to get it? I would sure appreciate it:-)

Moonbow

[Post New]by spunkygirl99 on Feb 20, 11 10:31 PM
mendolyn wrote:was all excited to play this as i have loved the virtual villagers games in the past...that was until i read this in the description: "Use your incredible God Powers to impress the New Believers".

doesn't sound like my cup of tea after all unfortunately but to everyone else happy gaming

I very much agree. I also don't care for the term "heathen". I'm not in the business of trying to turn anyone.

[Post New]by spunkygirl99 on Feb 20, 11 10:34 PM
monkeysee12 wrote:Sorry guys, I found this game highly insulting. I've played all the VV games and loved them, and yes, I've always felt somewhat like a "god" when playing, but in the end I decide that when the villagers can stand on their own two feet they have probably outgrown their "god" and it's time to leave.

The idea of preaching to the "heathens" is sooooo insulting to me, not to mention against everything I believe in, that I just can't do it. I mean really, how many of you answer the door when you know a thumper is on the other side? It made me ill just playing the game for the short hour.

As such, I won't be buying this one, I've deleted it from my computer, and I'll be leery of checking out another one. I'm looking for a replacement game for VV.

Sorry, but you've gone too far.

I have to give it the maximum amount of thumbs down. Just what were they thinking? I realize that pushing your religeon is the "in" thing to do right now, but some rational person must know that not everyone enjoys it being pushed down their throats.

Well Said!

SFWhite
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

This latest VV is a BIG disappointment!

[Post New]by SFWhite on Feb 21, 11 9:19 AM
This is the most tedious, uneventful VV I've ever played, and I've played them all. On top of how horribly slow everything is, my women nurse forever, and none of my villagers age at all. I read on Last Day of Work's site that the nursing thing is a known bug that downloading and installing the new trial version of the game available on their site should fix, but the trial is locked into the 60-minute preview time and ends the game then. I had to completely uninstall and then reinstall the older version from Big Fish to be able to play the game once more without having to rebuy it through Last Day of Work for $19.99... so back to the old bugs.

However, even if the bugs were fixed, the gameplay is severely lacking. With no potions, everything hangs on getting those tech points up and raising mana with new converts and found relics in order to unlock new god-powers... boring.

On top of it all, Research makes my little guys unwell, and with no potions, there's no way to help them except through eating, which doesn't do much to improve their health.

Another problem, trying to improve my villagers' Building skill is nearly impossible, since it's very seldom that new buildings are made available, and fixing the existing huts does very little. This is especially true because it's rather hard to keep my villagers on task for any amount of time.

My idea of a "game" is that it should be fun, not tedious, boring work... so VV5 fails my definition of "game".

[Post New]by feistyredheadnaz on Feb 23, 11 4:38 PM
I hate that lil yellow heathen so much! its like they go after the ones that have collectibles on purpose, which makes the game not fun for me at all and if the land is claimed by the tribe, the heathens should not be able to go near that area like the tribe was not able to do at the start of the game. Its so frustrating!

I would have deleted the game if it weren't for the fact that I only need to do the whole earthquake thing

angel2shine
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by angel2shine on Feb 24, 11 10:49 PM
I have all five VV games, just love this one, but can't figure out how to convert the yellow and red masks, I hit their 'dirt villege' once with an earthquake, and they all got the 'glow' but no dropping their masks,

Once I lowered the bloom spell on the field, and noticed a bunch of flowers and red mushrooms popping up on the field, and beside it, raised the bloom spell back into the circle, and saved the energy points, got kids to 'pick' the mushrooms.

I used the butterfly spell a lot, it attracts all the kids, including the heathen kids, and have seen adult heathens stand in the middle of the butterflies, surrounded by a bunch of jumping kids, helps greatly when you need to get the field harvested.

Happy gaming.. Darlene

Mebery
Minnow
Minnow
298 Posts

[Post New]by Mebery on Feb 26, 11 1:34 PM
I think they should take this back, fix the bugs,kill the rascal,(interrupted 5 important building jobs)take out the mask event (I had to restart because I lost my only woman when I picked the wrong choice),take away the big explosion, add some puzzles, bring back food options (coconut,blueberry, etc),and make the lighting spell cost less. I think if they do this it will be a better game. I don't like it much because of the rascal,the explosion that killed everyone,and it just seems dull.I don't think they should throw in the towel yet. If they follow different formats and stuff they could create a game as good as the 4 one.

[Post New]by sophus on Feb 28, 11 10:43 AM
I bought it sight unseen but now I wish I hadn't. I play VV for relaxation, and having obstacles thrown up at me at every turn is not relaxing, it's just frustrating.
It's not that I think it's too hard, I'm sure I could have dealt with it if I had persevered - it's that I just couldn't be bothered to try.

[Post New]by sissy990 on Mar 2, 11 7:43 AM
ElizabethR1533 wrote:I don't actually understand anything about what you're really supposed to do in this game!!

The tutorial kept going away and I had to keep clicking "begin tutorial" to have any idea of what was going on.
It told me to go to the lab, but didn't tell me where the lab was or even if the place I took the character to was, in fact, the lab. Then when I thought I found it, I put an adult character there, and she just walked off! NOTHING AT ALL happened. It didn't say why or to try again or anything or even if I got it wrong. It just kept saying "put adult character in lab" and that was it.......it didn't say why I was going to the lab, or what the objective was. It was like a set of instructions without knowing what you were doing it for.

If I didn't have the tutorial on it didn't tell me what it wanted me to do, and at no time was there any indications of what the aims and objectives were or give me any tasks. I was sat there waiting for something to happen or for some indication as to what it wanted me to do.
If I had the tutorial on, it would say, "do this", but then when I think I did it, the next part wouldn't come up, unless I clicked on the "okay" in the tutorial box......and then nothing happened unless I clicked "continue tutorial" again.

Oh, and the game sound effects were VERY LOUD and I had to turn it down to virtually zero, so I didn't have to listen to children giggling constantly or tribes people going "unbong, unbong" over and over very loud.

Very annoying, very frustrating. I couldn't take being sat there looking at the laptop without having a clue about anything any longer than 12 minutes.

Is it possible to give a minus score out of 10? thumbdown:

Go to: