mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

Re:Should be charged 1/2 price for 1/2 of a game!

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 14, 11 2:21 PM
ScaniX wrote:You did not buy 1/2 of a game. It is complete, just the story isn't finished yet.
Did you pay 1/3 for the cinema ticket of "Lord of the Rings"? Just because it only told 1/3 of the story?

Thank you, ScaniX -- what a great analogy!!!!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 14, 11 3:42 PM
mcurty wrote:
ScaniX wrote:You did not buy 1/2 of a game. It is complete, just the story isn't finished yet.
Did you pay 1/3 for the cinema ticket of "Lord of the Rings"? Just because it only told 1/3 of the story?

Thank you, ScaniX -- what a great analogy!!!!

It was, too bad it'll be ignored/disregarded/misunderstood.

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Feb 14, 11 3:56 PM
MarpleLover wrote:You will always hear complaints from people who could have downloaded the trial version but decided for some reason to buy the game and without checking out the game forum threads and reviews.

What can you do?

I did check the forum first. I always do. Which is why I don't post often when disappointed, as I'm not often. The reviews I saw were saying it was a great game and a long one, as when you complete the demo, you believe that there are seven chapters! THAT'S what's ticking off everyone.

jr449
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by jr449 on Feb 15, 11 12:46 AM
My take is exactly what birdcatfish said, "The reviews I saw were saying it was a great game and a long one, as when you complete the demo, you believe that there are seven chapters! THAT'S what's ticking off everyone." I am the person who started this thread and my feelings are the same as I too do not post often and I consider myself an above average player. I did not say that I did not like the game, matter a fact I love the graphics, sound play, story line and etc....It is not about playing the game fast or slow; My point is that either the title should have let me know that this was part one of a sequel, such as "Charlaine Harris: Dying for Daylight Part 1", so that I could have known that before purchasing the game! In the story it reveals that there are several vampires to get parts of a sun potion when you cannot get all of it until part 2 comes out (you have no way of knowing this until you purchase and play the game; then to find out the game abruptly end at chapter 4.) that is why I still feel that I "should be charged 1/2 price for 1/2 of a game!"

Edited on 02/16/2011 at 7:09:26 PM PST

[Post New]by corporatecowgirl on Feb 15, 11 1:59 AM
I just finished the first four episodes, and I am certainly going to buy the next one. I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I have paid the price for game that I liked much less and that lasted half as long as the first half of this one. This game is amazing, and I love her dry sense of humor. Look at it this way...a Collector's Edition would cost almost twice the price anyway, so you're not really getting it for any less. I personally think the game is well worth the price. Two thumbs up!!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 15, 11 2:10 AM
If you went to see the new Harry Potter film, did you ask to pay half price for that as it's only half the book? I must admit I was disappointed when the game ended but not because it was short; took me about 4 hours to complete and I'm not a slow player.
I just wanted it to go on an on, it was so much fun!

The developers made a great game, one with as much style, wit and interesting storyline as you could wish for. Here's hoping the next chapters are as good as these were! If I had not bought it because it was only the first 4 chapters, I would have missed one of the best games I've played for ages. No complaints here, just thank you developers for an excellent and highly enjoyable afternoon's gameplay!

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Feb 15, 11 4:06 AM
angelfish106 wrote:If you went to see the new Harry Potter film, did you ask to pay half price for that as it's only half the book? I must admit I was disappointed when the game ended but not because it was short; took me about 4 hours to complete and I'm not a slow player.
I just wanted it to go on an on, it was so much fun!

The developers made a great game, one with as much style, wit and interesting storyline as you could wish for. Here's hoping the next chapters are as good as these were! If I had not bought it because it was only the first 4 chapters, I would have missed one of the best games I've played for ages. No complaints here, just thank you developers for an excellent and highly enjoyable afternoon's gameplay!

I do believe that the producers informed us well ahead of time, that HP seven would be in two parts. I don't believe the developers of this game did that, did they? The developers had the potential of a great game here, now it's just mediocre. The developers were being greedy.

LadyWyntre
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by LadyWyntre on Feb 15, 11 5:08 AM
1) No, I don't like to check the forums before I play a game. I don't particularly want spoilers, and I can determine whether or not I like gameplay. Further, I'm a Harris fan and knew I would enjoy anything set in her universe.
2) I would've still bought this game, but I would've waited until part II was released to buy them both for continuous play.
3) Yes, I feel bait-and-switched.
4) There's a difference between a reasonably satisfying ending that leaves room for a sequel and an abrupt ending. This was the latter. Other games to which it has been compared (e.g. Return to Ravenhearst) were the former.
5) Make it a collector's edition and release the whole game, or wait until both parts are out and release them at the same time. This isn't brain surgery, and it isn't an unreasonable demand on the part of customers, either.
6) Failing that, make it *clear* to those buying--*without* their having to check the forums--that they are purchasing Part I of II. Honestly, do you really think most Big Fish gamers are forum regulars? (Hint: they aren't).

The tone here of people complaining about people complaining really irks me. ONE purpose of the forum is to share tips/spoilers/walkthroughs/etc. ANOTHER purpose of the forum is to give feedback to BigFish. This is legitimate feedback.

Janeypat
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Janeypat on Feb 15, 11 6:10 AM
This was not half a game at all.

I think the price and length of game was really good value and the way I look at it - its good to know there will be a follow up.

Please moan about the games that dont give value for money, poor graphics etc, nobody made you buy this, there was the hour demo.

I thought the game was better than a lot that have been on just lately - but as I said before - DEMO the hour - make your mind up, you are not being forced to buy it!

LadyWyntre
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by LadyWyntre on Feb 15, 11 9:27 AM
Janeypat, the one thing you don't get from the demo... is the ending. And it's the ending about which people are complaining.

Please explain how folks were supposed to know that they were only paying for half of the story?

I have no problem with the price, I think the gameplay was superior, I would've gladly bought it as a CE, and I think the length was great... but I do have a problem with releasing only half of the full game at once and not warning people that they're going to face a cliffhanger.

If it's only half of the story, it's only half of the game.

I'm the kind of person who tapes a season finale of a show in order to watch it right before the season premiere--and I don't watch it until the next season. I do not. like. cliffhangers.

cherbando
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by cherbando on Feb 15, 11 1:27 PM
I feel cheated! The game is good and I was enjoying it when BAM! The game ends abruptly, right in the middle.How cheesy. I agree, we should pay 1/2 price for 1/.2 of the game. I have bought literally hundreds of games over my years with Big Fish and I can't remember this ever happening. What a rip off

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by alowan on Feb 15, 11 2:24 PM
Yes, this is a great game - in fact, one of the best I've played. (I'm a fair player. I rarely go past casual mode.) Yes, the amount of excellent game play was well worth what I paid.

BUT I would have appreciated a warning that it had only 4 episodes of a story out of 7 or 8 total. Like others, I had figured out that we would get one episode for each performer in the Circus. We only got the first four. I was searching for episode 5 for a while.

Why couldn't they call it "Dying for Daylight Part 1"? It worked for Harry Potter!

RooRoo, who insists on stories having a beginning, a middle, and an end.

carolwooden
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by carolwooden on Feb 15, 11 9:02 PM
The game is continued within the game. No one is being cheated. Just sit tight and the next chapter will pop up.

LadyWyntre
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by LadyWyntre on Feb 16, 11 12:01 AM
@carol--you'll be sitting a long time after episode 4.

[Post New]by lauren1079 on Feb 16, 11 12:01 AM
MarpleLover wrote:You will always hear complaints from people who could have downloaded the trial version but decided for some reason to buy the game and without checking out the game forum threads and reviews.

What can you do?

Amen, MarpleLover!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Feb 16, 11 3:00 AM
Obviously, some people haven't read all the posts and are making assumptions. *eyeroll*

zeiladae
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by zeiladae on Feb 16, 11 4:54 AM
birdcatfish wrote:Obviously, some people haven't read all the posts and are making assumptions. *eyeroll*

For the last 3 days when I come to this board. This thread has been at the top of the first page.

I really like this game and I don't feel cheated because it ends after episode 4.

But if I did feel that way, I would realize that it was my fault for buying it without researching it first. For instance, I bought jack of all trades and I don't like it. I'm not going to demand my money back. There was nothing wrong with BFG selling it to me, afterall, I was at BFG looking to buy a game. I'm not going to complain to the developers about their game, I'm not their only customer. They didn't make it for me, they made it to make money to pay their bills. And if I was their only customer, I most certainly couldn't get one half of an episode for $6.99, unless it was a text only game.

jr449
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by jr449 on Feb 16, 11 1:39 PM
carolwooden wrote:The game is continued within the game. No one is being cheated. Just sit tight and the next chapter will pop up.

Yes, I was cheated because the game's title was not "Charlaine Harris: Dying for Daylight Part 1."

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Feb 16, 11 1:59 PM
I felt they did the ending quite well...it finished her side mission and made us hang out to finish the rest of the main mission.

I do agree with jr449 though that it should have had Part 1 in the title so everyone was forewarned.

[Post New]by mispatti on Feb 16, 11 7:51 PM
This is the first time for me posting in the forum. I always download the free trial before I purchase a game. I don't come to the forum and see what others say because I know after playing a game for an hour if it fits my taste. The reason I came to the forum for this game was to see if anyone else felt slightly cheated like I did when the game abruptly ended. I liked the game, but it should have said part 1. I won't be purchasing part 2. I just feel if people let it go then it is encouraging BF to have more types of these 2 part games. With the 2 part price.

Go to: