Linda1210
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Gourmania 2: Great Expectations

[Post New]by Linda1210 on Feb 17, 11 6:17 AM
You get 7 restaurants total. Each one has 6 stars you can achieve by improving your restaurant. You improve it by picking up trash, scrubbing walls and sweeping floors, buying a couple decorations, etc. That part is very buggy as you can scrub and scrub walls til you are blue in the face and you will not satisfy the requirement even if you quit and go back in multiple times. That among other bugs people are reporting. You also get 5 expert chef hats per restaurant by waiting on customers. Expert seems impossible to achieve in many of the cases as the most customers you get is 8. Most of the time 4-6 customers. I tried and tried and I just dont think it is possible. Anyway, the first Gourmania was way better and I feel I got ripped off buying this game sight unseen based on my liking of the first one. It is way too short, way too buggy and way too much time spent on this "improving your restaurant" garbage. Don't waste your money like I did :-(

gertie23
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by gertie23 on Feb 18, 11 11:22 AM
What an awful game. I do not remember the first one being this irritating and when I tried to exit the game 'it' wouldn't let me. I had to log off my computer to get out!!

WAY DOWN !

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Feb 18, 11 1:04 PM
The first one was much better..this is a true YAWN!

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Feb 18, 11 1:50 PM
The games OK but the constant stream of ultra high calorie junk food is sickening to me

doylebaby
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by doylebaby on Feb 18, 11 4:41 PM
I loved the first Gourmania and couldn't wait for the second one to come out. Very disappointing, beside the technical issues that are really annoying, I very much dislike all the cleaning stuff. The cooking was what I enjoyed and that seems to have been reduced to very limited moments.

Edited on 02/18/2011 at 4:53:17 PM PST

[Post New]by ChesterPepper79 on Feb 19, 11 1:50 AM
I'm a big fan of Go Go Gourmet, so I figured that this one would be extremely similar ... and while it is, it's not as fun.

For me, the best part of this game was serving the customers, unfortunately each of the customer rounds ended extremely quickly in comparison to all the other stuff you had to do. Cleaning the restaurant's exterior and fixing the place up was the bulk of the game and it wasn't clever or exciting enough to be deemed enjoyable.

Overall: C

[Post New]by blurpple on Feb 19, 11 6:43 AM
i cant even get into the game!!! it freezes my computer

Marm23
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Marm23 on Feb 19, 11 10:29 AM
Just finished the game and really enjoyed it after getting over some of the technical problems. Didn't mind the cleaning and so far have only played the relaxed mode but am about to start the timed one. Find it very hard to achieve Expert in the restaurants in the Maldives.

Sherron
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Sherron on Feb 20, 11 2:10 AM
Is that really all there is those 7 restaurants ??
Finished the game in 3 hours, thought i only was 1/2 way but seemed there's nothing more.

judieau
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by judieau on Feb 20, 11 2:42 AM
Not having played the first one I really enjoyed this. Loved the graphics and the challenges, although getting Expert was harder as the game went on. Am not a great lover of Hidden Object games but this was a good mixture.
Cannot play in Relaxed Mode though, it doesn't even give me the option. I gather it's in the menu somewhere but I've searched high and low and it's nowhere to be seen. Is this a technical glitch or am I missing something?

Edited on 02/20/2011 at 2:43:05 AM PST

[Post New]by LaMariposaNero on Feb 20, 11 11:42 PM
I enjoyed the game for the most part, however, you do not receive enough customers in order to reach the expert status on some of the levels. I loved the mini-games and graphics. I was entertained with this game, its very relaxing. I give it 3 stars.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Feb 21, 11 10:09 AM
Come on, Alawar--you can do better than this! Although I'm not a TM fan, the first Gourmania was enjoyable in a "Gardenscape" kind of way. This second time around is more of a chore than anything else. I'd much rather be cooking for customers and making $ than constantly scrubbing the business with an annoyingly-squeaky sponge!

What can I say that's positive? Well, the graphics are Alawar-perfect, the soundtrack is pleasant, and the title is promising. But there's the letdown. My "Expectations" were high for this sequel--somebody let the air out of the balloon, though. I'm not too sure why I have to make money preparing good stuff for customers, only to spend said money on inventory items like brushes or window-cleaning bottles! And when was the last time you patronized a deli that served red Beluga caviar for about the same price as a ham sandwich? This game loses something in the realism department! I'd say, if you're a TM gamer, look elsewhere

Read more: http://www.gamezebo.com/download-games/gourmania-2-great-expectations/user-reviews#ixzz1EcNu6NiY

[Post New]by VeryBigFish on Feb 21, 11 9:20 PM
I really enjoyed the first one, and this game would have been an automatic buy for me, if not for the bugs - and the overall unpolished feel to it. Among other things:

That sign cleaning problem.....almost made me even give up on the demo.
Paying hundreds of dollars for a sponge?
The ingredients: there is "ice cream" (no flavor) which is white in color, then there is "vanilla ice cream" which is a bit yellow , "mocha" which is brown, etc....I wanna know...what flavor is the plain old "ice cream" flavor?
I don't even mind an occasional typo, but one ingredient is "waffle cone" yet the spelling is wrong on another, "wafle basket." (probably wouldn't have even noticed this if I was satisfied with the game overall.)

I don't know if I'm missing a setting or something, but I didn't like that you could not help more than one customer at a time. (at least in relaxed mode) including picking up the money of the previous customer. It felt too restrictive (Yet I could be picking ingredients for the next customer if I was cutting/cooking something for the first time.

Plus, overall buggy....I had to reinstall just to finish cleaning a sign (which is my least favorite part of the game.)

No Buy.

Edited on 02/21/2011 at 9:31:44 PM PST

[Post New]by caj_gamer on Feb 22, 11 11:05 PM
When it comes to playing games, I tend to like all different genres, such as Adventure, Strategy, Hidden Object, Time Mgmt, etc. When I played the demo, the graphics were striking and definitely different and more intriguing compared to other games, the music pleasant and tolerable and there seemed to be a good mix of different genres all wrapped into one game. I definitely was intrigued enough to purchase the game after the demo. After purchasing it, the progress that I made in France was not accessible (I could fly back to the States but couldn't click on the restaurants to go back to my progress). After the update game today, I reinstalled, and was able to go back into the restaurants, but couldn't pick the trash at one location, so I'm reinstalling again as I type this in hopes that it may work. I'm crossing my fingers!

I've played a lot of great games on BF and if I tend to stick on the top 10 or so list, I tend not to get disappointed, however nothing disappoints or annoys me more than when there are many bugs in the game that it seemed like the programmers/company jammed it out the door to get it to market and didn't do any quality checks. How difficult is it to have people do a quality control test? Many of the comments about spelling and type of food as described in the posts are annoying. My "favorite" bug (other than the stuck cursor after 3-4 missed clicks) is that the request for "corn" for one order could be different from a picture of cut corn versus corn on the cob for the same "corn" on another order.

I did discover a tip on how to get expert on some levels. Some of the customers have 1 star right when they come in so if you scan the list and deal with them first, you may get expert. I say "may" only because it's still a mystery to me on how exactly you can achieve that level. It's not just speed, but maybe pure luck?

Would I buy this again? Probably not, at least for the mere fact that I don't like to reward sloppiness. I'm going to try playing again, just for the principle of "getting my money's worth", however not sure how much more annoyed I want to be. Gaming should be fun. Overall, if the bugs were fixed, I'd give this game a 3.5 out of 5 stars, but give it 2.5.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Feb 25, 11 12:56 PM
Let me say I did love the first Gourmania, I have played it multiple times.
This one is NOT the same.
The objects are too hard to find, the misspellings are baffling, the oddball random use of the tools to fix certain recipes are boring.
I liked the first one with the way you prepared there and the items were larger to find.
I will not be buying this one, I couldn't even finish the whole demo,

NiceOrc
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by NiceOrc on Feb 25, 11 1:19 PM
This game is an odd mix of well-done parts and quite shoddy, disappointing parts. I liked the time management aspect, and the cleaning wasn't too bad (though sometimes I play games to escape real-life cleaning!). However I was disappointed by what look like sloppy mistakes that should have been caught before this game was released for sale. This game is more like a beta. Odd things like a pile of corn and ears of corn being different, as well as ice cream and flavoured ice cream, tomatoes and cherry tomatoes - if we are asked to find specific types of an item, the generic item shouldn't be there.

Misspellings are sloppy too - should have been picked up, eg coctail, wafle, coffe.

Something that really puzzled me was being asked to look for "beze". I used a hint and found it was something that looked to me like meringues. After checking google, I found that beze is an alternate name for meringue. Is beze used more commonly in other parts of the world? (I'm in New Zealand and have only ever heard meringue used.)

Overall, I won't be buying this game. The developers could do better.

Surly1
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Surly1 on Feb 26, 11 2:10 PM
I have to agree with those who give this a big I was excited to see a new Gourmania release...until I played it. The first Gourmania was at least entertaining. This one just doesn't seem to play well and is more annoying to me than entertaining. Items are placed really willy-nilly, are often spelled incorrectly (one of my BIG pet peeves ) I mean really, if you are going to spend all that time creating a playable game, shouldn't you at least make sure things are spelled correctly before releasing it for sale? And I don't mind "cleaning up the place", but seriously...the way this one is thrown together, it hardly makes sense and isn't at all fun. Buy a sponge, squeaky-squeaky-squeaky all over the place repeatedly, and then...do it some more?? Pick up pieces of broken signs and then click them back into place. And why on earth do I have to waste earned game money to clean up the place with a $200 sponge???? In trying to combine many different elements that have worked in other games, Alawar seems to have tried to throw it all into one pot and hope it works. Sorry, but to me, they failed miserably on this one.

I usually love Alawar games, but this one totally missed its mark in my opinion. They can do MUCH better than this. If you couldn't already tell, this one isn't a buy for me.

TKincaidIN
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by TKincaidIN on Feb 26, 11 5:39 PM
This did not feel like a TM game to me. It was a HOG. Not a buy for me. I only played for 15 minutes.

Monnie788
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Monnie788 on Mar 2, 11 10:42 AM
glitterbutterfly wrote:I loved the first one a stupid amount and I've played it to death. I just want to cook - I'm not interested in faffing about with sponges. I don't want to do housework in a game. I'm so disappointed with this.

*goes and cries in a corner*

Monnie788
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Monnie788 on Mar 2, 11 10:47 AM
Same here. First Gourmania has always been one of my big favorites and I've played it over and over. Tried this new one and uninstalled it after about 20 minutes. The stuff they've added was just a nuisance to me - prefer to just prepare orders like in the first one. They should have just kept the original format and had all new restaurants to buy and serve customers. Big disappointment - will not be buying this game but will always go back and play the first one again.

Go to: