Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Blue Madonna: A Carol Reed Mystery

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 22, 11 2:59 PM
Very nice game. I have bought almost all older Carol Reeds games and loved them. This part is a little bit easier (you gets a few hints while playing the game). A buy for me

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Feb 22, 11 3:59 PM
I have all the others and will definitely be buying this one - just have to be patient a little while longer until next month so that I can start a new card - don't have time to fill another this month.

Edited on 02/22/2011 at 4:00:11 PM PST

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 22, 11 4:12 PM
I love the Carol Reed games and have them all. I was so excited to see a new game, I just bought it and dowloaded it without even trying the demo!

Now off to have some fun.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 22, 11 7:03 PM
Patience, patience, patience. The Carol Reed mysteries are like a love/hate ralationship. You either love them or hate them. They are definitely different. I'm in the love group and will definitely buy it. You have got to be patient, take your time and look at everything around you. Only for the real adventurers who like to sleuth around and try not to get lost, because there is so much territory to explore.

gpj53
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by gpj53 on Feb 22, 11 7:26 PM
I have seen these before but have never played one - are they as irritating as Syberia which I'm playing very slowly as I keep having to refer to UHS and when that fails, the walkthrough? I hope not as I would like to try them out so please can anyone answer my question.

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Feb 22, 11 8:02 PM
gpj53 wrote:I have seen these before but have never played one - are they as irritating as Syberia which I'm playing very slowly as I keep having to refer to UHS and when that fails, the walkthrough? I hope not as I would like to try them out so please can anyone answer my question.

gpj53, While they are different in mood and style, I believe they are equally difficult. I didn't like adventure games like this because I wasn't very good and needed the walklthrough (WT) almost every step. But bit by bit I've learned and now love them. I still will use a WT if stuck rather then give up, but for the money, adventure games are the best.

Don't worry about using a WT. You will grow more skilled as you play more games and find you will need to use one less and less.

Sit back, be curious and explore everything.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 22, 11 10:34 PM
Just finished the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. A little less interaction with people this time, and the storyline got a little clouded, but all in all a fab game. A very polished piece with lots of things to look at, rooms to look in, I just love all that 'looking around' stuff. I did, however, find this game a lot easier to do than other Carol Reed games as the note book gave clear instructions on what to do next. I only used BF's walkthrough twice. The game took me about 3.5 hours full time to complete.

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Feb 23, 11 12:46 AM
You're absolutely right Casual Gran they are not for the faint-hearted and need a different approach but they are not badly made. I srtuggled on the first one I played but once I found a WT and worked hot how to approach the game I loved it; now I only use a WT to check whether there is anythig I missed after I've completed a section.
I'm hooked on them now and have all the previous ones.

Edited on 02/23/2011 at 12:47:18 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 23, 11 1:54 AM
The Carol Reed mysteries are very well made.....just different.

There's a lovely practical logic to the CR game play that I don't mind mulling over for days instead of hours like many games we get of the adventure HOG type - no matter how pretty the graphics in those games.

I don't usually look at CR walk-thrus until I'm done with the game. (Yes, there's a dent in my skull from beating it against an occasional wall). Its very satisfying to figure it out myself.

When I said earlier that I thought this one is not as good as earlier ones, I meant its an A- instead of the usual A+. (I think the story suffered a bit toward the end.)

Lavender101
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Lavender101 on Feb 23, 11 7:27 AM
Koalanut wrote:
*happy dance*

I have all the Carol Reeds, I love them, its like a vacation trip for me. I will buy this without any trying of the demo.

Can't wait to see if the gardener guy is in it!

Thank you BFG for this game, but this should be listed as a TGT, just sayin'

My sentiments exactly! Enjoy!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Feb 23, 11 11:42 AM
The graphics are very realistic. The gameplay is IHOG/adventure. The storyline is what really sells this game. Rich and engaging.

This game is an A-.

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Feb 23, 11 12:07 PM
CasualGran wrote:
LoveMyBichons wrote:I love the Carol Reed games and have them all. They are very different artistically and in the lazy way you unroll the mystery. They take patience and sometimes some real brain power, but never rely on magic or Si Fi stuff to resolve a situation, it's always humanly possible.
I believe Blue Madonna was not well received by the market and got really panned by the critics. I think this is why it's at BF so quickly after coming out.
Why is was Soft released? Hmmm...don't know. But they do that on occasion. And some times, like with MYST, it's not even announced at all.
I am thrilled it's here! My DL has now finished and guess what I'm doing instead of taxes tonight? RIGHTO

MYST??? At BF? Brought as a soft release? Well, I'm a MYST and URU fan and I've played all, but that one of these was/is available at BF I could never have dreamed of!

Yes CasualGran, it's called "RealMYST" here on BF, but it is the updated "directors cut" of MYST. They didn't even soft release - it just - was there. I found it by accident when I was looking for a WT of another game and saw one for MYST. I looked in the Adventure genre and there it was. Went to the forum and the fish there were as stunned as I was to have found it. Whooda thunk!?!

idlechat
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by idlechat on Feb 23, 11 3:00 PM
Carol Reed Mysteries are fab. just finished another one, when is the next one out. Definitely worth buying if you are into the adventure type games.

wildvaniilagirl
Shark
Shark
14,009 Posts

[Post New]by wildvaniilagirl on Feb 24, 11 7:11 AM
I'm having a great time playing this game, have played them all, must say the East Side is my favorite, only one I couldn't get sound with,just not the same without it.

Edited on 02/24/2011 at 7:12:42 AM PST

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Feb 25, 11 11:12 AM
Another game I will not buy.

What is so hard to understand that not everyone wants to play in full screen mode? Almost every game today manages both full screen and windowed, I won't waste my money on one that doesn't.

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Feb 25, 11 12:49 PM
To CasualGran (and anyone else I may have misled)
I made an error on my post by saying "I looked in the Adventure genre and there it was" I should have said in the PUZZLE genre. I apologize for the error.

I wrote:
..."Why is was Soft released? Hmmm...don't know. But they do that on occasion. And some times, like with MYST, it's not even announced at all...

You wrote:
MYST??? At BF? Brought as a soft release? Well, I'm a MYST and URU fan and I've played all, but that one of these was/is available at BF I could never have dreamed of!

I wrote:
Yes CasualGran, it's called "RealMYST" here on BF, but it is the updated "directors cut" of MYST. They didn't even soft release - it just - was there. I found it by accident when I was looking for a WT of another game and saw one for MYST. I looked in the Adventure genre and there it was. Went to the forum and the fish there were as stunned as I was to have found it. Whooda thunk!?!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 25, 11 12:59 PM
I think of the Carol Reed games as an enjoyable way to take a virtual visit to Sweden.

Me too. LOVE itxxx

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Feb 26, 11 3:07 PM
as my high school history teacher used to say - the books may tell the same stories; but while some are interesting and make history easy to learn, others are "dry and taxing" and make it a little more difficult to comprehend the overall message, let alone retain all the small details...

adventure mysteries, like the carol reed stories, are a staple in gaming - they're the meat to the HOG potatoes and M3/TM veggies... and i love a great adventure, a puzzling mystery, a good chunk of gaming fun that seems to last forever the more you get down into it...

but while i find sherlock holmes challenging, chronicles of mystery intriguing, and nancy drew intelligent and fun... i find carol reed to be more on the side of "dry and taxing" ... in the past i have shied away from the games because they were not my cup of tea, but decided to try this one because i love art...

well, same simple story telling, same flat [although she has finished decorating ], same still-frame characters with the same emotionless faces... the music is soft, leaning classical, and could be challenging to some players in itself given the pace of game play... something along the lines of "for hindus looking for a fun night out of fasting" and driving around kendall square looking for the citgo station... where was i going??

in all, i can't say as i enjoy the CR games on a regular basis - and really wanted to like this one, but... i'm going to back out and leave the sleuthing to those of you who do love her and treat her with the respect that i'm certain she deserves...

cheers

unicornone
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by unicornone on Feb 27, 11 10:49 AM
I keep trying to get on with Carol Reed Mysteries but alas they are not for me. These games seem to be more a mammoth task in negotiating you way around a series of badly taken photographs pretending to be a game. Good luck if you enjoy these types of games but I will continue to avoid them.

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Feb 27, 11 11:57 AM
My momma always told me:

"people have different tastes, that's why Baskin Robbins (an ice cream shop in the USA) has 31 flavors."

It's great the BF offers a "flavor" for everyone!

Go to: