Re:PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASE

[Post New]by bonogirl on Mar 21, 11 10:54 AM
I agree the intro is way...... too long. I have yet to figure out how to even save it so that I can pick up where I left off. have to keep starting over. Probably something I've done wrong, but I did hit the save option. It is too slow and you do waste time looking at "stuff". To me it is very boring. bonogirl

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Mar 21, 11 7:12 PM
I like it!!!
Thank you . More LFG please!

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 7:13:30 PM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Mar 22, 11 6:26 AM
bonogirl wrote:I agree the intro is way...... too long. I have yet to figure out how to even save it so that I can pick up where I left off. have to keep starting over. Probably something I've done wrong, but I did hit the save option. It is too slow and you do waste time looking at "stuff". To me it is very boring. bonogirl
I had the same problem with saving. It's a two-step process. What isn't obvious is the save slot number on the left ...

suniris
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by suniris on Mar 26, 11 6:43 AM
I don't post often as What I have to say has generally already been said. This game is not for me but maybe great for others. It reminds me of "syberia" which I also did not enjoy as moving around makes me dizzy.
Purchased that one and never did finish it. Will not purchase this one but I do appreciate BF's eforts to please "some of the people some of the time"

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Mar 28, 11 1:12 PM
suniris wrote:I don't post often as What I have to say has generally already been said. This game is not for me but maybe great for others. It reminds me of "syberia" which I also did not enjoy as moving around makes me dizzy.
Purchased that one and never did finish it. Will not purchase this one but I do appreciate BF's eforts to please "some of the people some of the time"

I agree with you. I hated this game and I hated Syberia.

slideshow mode

[Post New]by lazydogblue1 on Mar 29, 11 5:52 AM
Hi - someone on this forum suggested enabling slideshow mode if the 360 degrees was causing dizziness. I did this, but from then on just had jerky and slow motion with a very small blue arrow type cursor, and the hand icon just disappeared. I'm not too bad with the dizziness, but have finished my 1 hour trial and would like to purchase the game, and want to make sure it will run in either mode. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, any advice would be appreciated. I'm using a laptop with windows 7 - other games all run just fine. thanks

p.s.

[Post New]by lazydogblue1 on Mar 29, 11 5:54 AM
also - i cannot get upstairs to offload the suitcases - even though I've had a good walkthrough downstairs. And I'm so tired after the drive down from London....

Maven
Clownfish
Clownfish
944 Posts

[Post New]by Maven on Mar 29, 11 5:16 PM
Hi lazydogblue1!
The full version of the game includes "slideshow mode" in the Set Up options. I just double-checked the OS requirements on the Scratches download page and it shows Windows XP/Vista. But since you played the demo in Win7, I suppose it works? You may want to check the thread about "technical issues" for this game before you buy it.

As for accessing other rooms/areas of the house and grounds, they will all become available in the full version.

Happy gaming!

[Post New]by lazydogblue1 on Mar 30, 11 7:28 AM
Thanks Maven - I think I'll take the plunge and buy the full version, then explore at my leisure : ) yes - the demo certainly works with Windows 7, so hopefully the full version will.

cheers.

Edited on 03/30/2011 at 7:29:50 AM PST

[Post New]by boredhousewife1 on Apr 5, 11 1:41 PM
This game is AWESOME. It is so good to have a challenging game once in a while, hogs & Ihogs are fun, but easy. Fair enough if you struggle with 360, but other wise it is FANTASTIC. Shame on you for berating .

b4nu
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by b4nu on Apr 16, 11 12:23 AM
Maybe there are some simpletons in this forum, but if things just don't work and things just don't click, it MAY be an issue.

[Post New]by nix_nada on Apr 16, 11 2:11 AM
I've played about an hour or two, and so far all I've succeeded in doing is putting my bags in my room and reading some old letters, but that doesn't matter. This game is about the atmosphere and exploration. For instance, I love that this game gives you a close up of nearly every painting on the wall if you want a closer look. No, it doesn't advance the game, but it does build the feel of the game. And it's what I'd do if I was alone in a big old house which was now mine - check out the pictures, open all the drawers, find out what's behind the doors.

It's not for everyone, but what is? I wouldn't play Halo, for example, but I understand people get a lot of enjoyment out that. I'm loving this game, am really glad to see something like this on BF, and will be spending a good few more hours exploring Blackwood House.

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Apr 16, 11 6:14 PM

nix_nada wrote:
I've played about an hour or two, and so far all I've succeeded in doing is putting my bags in my room and reading some old letters, but that doesn't matter. This game is about the atmosphere and exploration. For instance, I love that this game gives you a close up of nearly every painting on the wall if you want a closer look. No, it doesn't advance the game, but it does build the feel of the game. And it's what I'd do if I was alone in a big old house which was now mine - check out the pictures, open all the drawers, find out what's behind the doors.

Finally! Someone else "gets it". Someone with patience who truly understands this type of game. Nice analysis, nix_nada. The game succeeds brilliantly because of these design decisions. Aside from the first Resident Evil game, I don't think I've come across another game with such a compelling and creepy atmosphere. Pulling that off convincingly in a video game requires a special talent. Furthermore, the 360 camera gives the game a realistic feel that simply can not be duplicated with static screens.

It's a rare game that can infuence my emotions, so I applaud the designers of Scratches. Oh, and that background music...

Catnipper
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Catnipper on Apr 22, 11 12:03 PM
I so agree with you, Nada and Tadpoles. I love adventure games because I love to read and explore. I don't want timers and rushing through nor do I want my hand held. Adventure games are to be lived--just like a good book.

I haven't played Scratches yet. I did the demo and bought it when it first came out. Now it's time to play.

But the first thing I saw after the options menu was a choice between playing Scratches Director's Cut or Scratches (something else). I thought I'd come to the forums to find out what that was about so I make the right choice. Now I'm going to glance at the walkthrough to see if that's explained.

dolly1944
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by dolly1944 on Apr 22, 11 5:55 PM
Well I purchased the game thinking that it will give more to do than the demo.
Surprise have spent the past few hours going through the house and around the grounds , you can't open anything and haven[t found anything that will interact with anything l have found. I would like to know if anyone else is having trouble with the audio of this game it is so bad l have to turn of the audio off.
I to am disappointed as l love large adventure games more than anything.
I would like for those who say its a terrific game help me understand what l am missing. I wish B.F. gave credit for these types of games. This is just as bad
as Rhiannano-Curse of the four branches. same type I should have known better.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Apr 22, 11 6:06 PM
dolly1944 wrote:Well I purchased the game thinking that it will give more to do than the demo.
Surprise have spent the past few hours going through the house and around the grounds , you can't open anything and haven[t found anything that will interact with anything l have found. I would like to know if anyone else is having trouble with the audio of this game it is so bad l have to turn of the audio off.
I to am disappointed as l love large adventure games more than anything.
I would like for those who say its a terrific game help me understand what l am missing. I wish B.F. gave credit for these types of games. This is just as bad
as Rhiannano-Curse of the four branches. same type I should have known better.

Hi Dolly,
Have you found the walkthrough for this game? The first discussion in this forum says "walkthrough" and gives you a here to click on to get to the walkthrough. That will tell you what to do in the game and really helps you get started with it.

Spoiler -- Highlight to read below:
Have you been to the basement yet? Finding the key and getting down there is one of the earliest things to do. Look at the photos in the desk and bathroom. They give you a clue as to where to find the key.

Catnipper
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Catnipper on Apr 22, 11 6:54 PM
I had to search for another walkthrough for this game. First, it answered the question I had about whether to start with Scratches Director's Cut or Scratches (Last Visit? I keep forgetting the name.).

Also, the directions were much more clear. I'm enjoying the game now that I have a better grip on it.

For the people who are having trouble with the game options, I found that turning off the slideshow mode and the alternate control made the 360 very controllable. No more whirling around with every move of the cursor. Much more like a normal game.

With the slideshow on, I felt like I was missing things in the room and it was so clunky. I also adjusted the gamma to high. I like scary, but just as in a film, I hate action that takes place in the dark so I can't see anything.

If the inventory items were labeled, this game would be close to perfect.

dolly1944
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by dolly1944 on Apr 23, 11 12:59 PM
As they say never give up,challenging at first but once you understand
whats expected you will start enjoying this game. Must say a little frustrating at times but like any adventure games its part of the game. Thanks to those who have given a positive feed back is what made me rethink playing this again.

Maven
Clownfish
Clownfish
944 Posts

[Post New]by Maven on Apr 24, 11 7:52 AM
Catnipper wrote:.......

If the inventory items were labeled, this game would be close to perfect.

Use the magnifying glass inside the inventory panel to view labels of the items.

[Post New]by paleogal on Jul 16, 11 4:50 PM
This game rocks. It make you think. Nothing tedious or boring about it and if it makes you dizzy, try slowing down a bit. Good grief....

Go to: