pwilmarth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

Re:Welcome to Agatha Christie: Evil Under the Sun forum

[Post New]by pwilmarth on Dec 15, 08 6:36 PM
This is from Big Fish and it helped solve a problem with white screens that I was having. For those of you who are technically challenged, you might call BFG and have them walk you through the process.

http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigfishgames.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=756

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Dec 15, 08 10:04 PM
the game is now crashing my computer. I've increased my virtual memory and that got me further in the game (I just finished building the blind) but now As soon as I start from where i saved it goes black and I have to turn off my computer manually. Someone earlier said to call BFG and have them walk me thru the patches, how do you "call" BFG? I rarely get a response when I email them,

7warrior7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by 7warrior7 on Dec 16, 08 7:56 AM
rosiebvt wrote:
7warrior7 wrote:I was experiencing the same problem with the screen going white so I tried a couple of different things that stopped that from happening. In the options I unmarked some of the enhancements and also marked anti aliasing(which helps if your PC isnt running to full requirements). Then I went to the people who made the game and downloaded a patch which I then installed. When installing make sure the folder you install it into is just agatha christie evil under the sun in program files,find it there first and make sure it has your game stuff in it plus granny.dll. After doing those things the game worked and is running smoothly. I hope it helps.

Thank you Thank you Thank you I installed the patch and just marked the anti-aliasing without turning any of the other options off and it's working fine now. I think you've saved our sanity (and hair from being pulled out)!

If you get the patch to work try taking the anti-aliasing button off,if it still works fine keep it off unless you have lots of CPU and RAM as it uses alot to run. Only use it if you definitely have to.

[Post New]by franniedavis on Dec 16, 08 9:27 AM
I am into Act 4 (25th) and have been using the spoiler.com walkthrough, but about 3/4 into Act 4, I have become stuck - I can't find anyone. I managed to find the 3 golden arrows, place them into the dartboard in the cellar of the pub, and find the tunnels, plus the luminescent coat used for the ghost of Tom Cutter. The walkthrough says to return to the hotel, find several of the guests and retrieve the drawing of Mr North to take to the inspector at Leathercombe Bay.

Has anyone had this problem at this point in the game? I have done everything according to the walkthrough and saved at various points. I've tried at least 5 times to locate anyone anywhere on the island, but have run across no one. Could this be another glitch that everyone has been complaining of? I am getting close to the murder and would love to continue. Any help would be appreciated.

[Post New]by pumpkin6689 on Dec 16, 08 5:08 PM
I am having the exact same problem as you. Did very thing explained in the walkthrough and now can not find Christine or anyone for that matter in order to obtain the sketch. I am totally at a dead end. I also went back several times to a previously saved game went through all the steps again only to wind up in the same situation no one to be found and the only thing left to finish this act is speak to Chrstine

Did you get any answers on how to solve this problem??? would appreciate your feedback

Thank you

pwilmarth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by pwilmarth on Dec 16, 08 8:44 PM
I've done Act 4 twice, and if you've done everything in the walkthrough, the story proceeds as outlined in the walkthrough. My second time through, I forgot to get the coat in the tunnel and I couldn't progress any further until I went back and found it. The only way I figured out that was the spot I missed was to go back to Poirot's office and tell him I was stumped. He told me to go back to the Smugglers' End Pub. I'm not saying this is the point where you failed, but there are a dozen other places in the story where you could miss something.

Act 4 is HUGE, but everything has to be done or the rest of the story doesn't make sense, and Poirot can't tell you "whodunit". If you can't figure it out, go ask Poirot, then go back to the places he points to and use the walkthrough step-by-step.

Make sure you've read all the documents and used the Finger of Suspicion. Is everything done on Poirot's To-Do-List?

Edited on 12/16/2008 at 8:46:42 PM PST

[Post New]by africayellowcat on Dec 17, 08 10:35 PM
Hi all, I am new to this forum so please be kind. I downloaded this game today and am already tearing my hair out. I am stuck already. In Poirot's office have collected the bits and pieces, he just keeps saying something like click on your portrait and off we go! Does he mean the picture I collected off the wall of the two of them? I just keep cruising around and around the room in frustration!

LilChica4
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by LilChica4 on Dec 18, 08 5:21 AM
holycowharry wrote:
brndnsgrl35903 wrote:My game is working fine...I just cant seem to find the tent stakes....anyone know where they are?

It's the broken ladder to the beach at Cutter's Cove…pick up the two posts left of the deck.

I've already picked the two posts up left of the deck and placed them along with the stone and the rope where I suppose to place them. But nothing happens then... it keeps telling me to go find the tent stakes... ? I can't continue from there...:-(

pwilmarth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by pwilmarth on Dec 18, 08 11:50 AM
Lots of people have not been able to figure out the blind. You don't need tent stakes, just 2 rocks. One rock is at the Rocky Beach (where you meet Miss Brewster); the other rock is near the bottom of the stairs on your way to the Rocky Beach.

There are two posts by the ladder next to Cutter's Cove.

You can find a bit of rope on the Bathing Beach.

That's all you need for the blind. You have to take each piece out of the inventory one at a time in order to build the blind.

Sierraspun
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Sierraspun on Dec 18, 08 3:46 PM
I am in the same boat as "Folkdance". When I go to Poirot's office, I am not given the lamp clue. Poirot just asks Hastings how he's doing and tells him to put the card in the finger's tray. Nothing at all about the lamp. And when I go back to the hotel, I am back at the top of the bathing beach stairs. What's going on?

pwilmarth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by pwilmarth on Dec 18, 08 3:53 PM
Lamp is at the start of Act 2. If Poirot hasn't given you the Lamp clue, then you aren't in Act 2, you're still in Act 1. The towels are also available at the beginning of Act 2, so it tells me you are still in Act 1. Start with the Finger of Suspicion and see if there is anybody you need to see or talk to. If it points to Stephen Lane, then you need to read Millie Parson's casefile. Amazing as it at may seem, you can play all of Act 1 without ever getting the case file on Millie Parsons, but you won't progress to Act 2 until you do. Pick up the Corrigan, Shipwreck, and Drugs casefiles while you're at it.

Once you've read Millie's casefile, go back and talk to Stephen Lane.

Edited on 12/18/2008 at 5:06:44 PM PST

[Post New]by franniedavis on Dec 20, 08 10:38 AM
Since I couldn't get anywhere in Act 4 after a certain point, and couldn't find ANYONE on the island; I started all over. What a bunch of walking!

Come to find out I had forgotten to check the monk's door (move the ivy) in my first trip to the monastery ruins. Once I got back to Act 4 after returning to the island, I managed to finally go forward and find everyone.

I am now into Act 5 and following the walkthrough carefully.

Finally heard back from BFG after 4 or 5 days and they couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

[Post New]by terrylee54 on Dec 20, 08 12:07 PM
My screen whites out with this game also, How do you email Big Fish? What is their email address, does anyone know? I would like a credit for this game and it should not have been released before it was working. I will not buy anymore games until this is resolved.

pwilmarth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by pwilmarth on Dec 20, 08 1:12 PM
The "white out" is a known issue. The best way to solve this problem is to go The Adventure Company website and download the patch. Make sure you install the patch in the directory that contains your game.

If you contact Big Fish, I know they will offer to help you. But downloading the patch is well worth the effort, because you will enjoy this game.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Dec 20, 08 8:05 PM
how do I get the money to buy the knitting book I sent a telegram to the bank but no results Also, how do I get the girl to clean the bird?

prose_2
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by prose_2 on Dec 21, 08 10:04 AM
pufftrade wrote:I really love these games and this one is really fun, but I seem to be stuck on August 25, Late Morning. I've tested everything that needs to be tested and talked to everyone several times and can't seem to figure out how to get to the next level.

When I click on Poirot to ask for a hint he says nothing, but Hastings says thank you.

Is this a glitch? Do I need to delete and reload the game?

I'm having the same problem too! What the heck do we need to do next

Lets compare...I have

5 instructions all crossed out
8 stop watch timings
15 documents
20 suspects, no alibi's for Lane, Barry, Gladys, Bailey
28 things in inventory

Edited on 12/21/2008 at 11:30:33 AM PST

pwilmarth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by pwilmarth on Dec 21, 08 4:51 PM
Oh boy, lots of questions!

Regarding the money: Once you send the telegram, go back to Seadrift Island and do some exploring, then come back and get the money. The telegram won't arrive until you've made at least one trip back to the Island.

Regarding August 25, late morning: I think that is a glitch, because I've seen it before. I didn't to do anything except figure out what it was that I'd missed. What does the Finger of Suspicion say? It's my guess you missed some piece of evidence at Cutter's Cove.

Regarding the jar and bath salts. You don't have to give it to her. Once she says she'll test Miss Brewster, she goes off and does it. She'll tell you her findings later in the game. All you really have to do is have Poirot walk down the steps from the second floor and have him come back inside through the lobby and meet Gladys again at her usual post.

Here is my count of items at the beginning of Act 6:
15 documents
20 suspects
8 timings
27 items in the inventory.

So you're over by one and that's why you can't go forward.

Edited on 12/21/2008 at 5:07:37 PM PST

[Post New]by pattyta_fg on Dec 21, 08 6:14 PM
isn't there a strategy guide ? i am so lost

prose_2
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by prose_2 on Dec 21, 08 6:22 PM
I went to gamesover for my walkthrough.

Here's my inventory list. I think the problem is the bath salt. After Gladys told Poirot Emily opened it he said she could have it but it was still in his inventory.

Bath salt
varnish
ball
hair brush
cut fabric
torn fabric
burnt fabric
pipe
spatula
watch
Seadrift brochure
bird book
coins
magnetic fragment
coat
scissor
shovel
key
master key
motor book
paper
perfume bottle
compass
broken compass
floorplan
stethoscope
binoculars
ruined buoy

pwilmarth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by pwilmarth on Dec 22, 08 12:26 PM
It's the broken compass. Which means you are further along in the game than I thought because you can't get the broken compass with out the winch handle, and that's not in your inventory.

Go to: