Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered

[Post New]by thunderknomb on Mar 15, 11 11:22 AM
I have never played a ND but all the positive comments have given me the push to puchase this one with my credit. So off to play and then I'll see if it's a fun as it sounds.

Dee

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Mar 15, 11 11:38 AM
Definite buy for us. We already own the original version (purchased a while ago from the developer), but for true Nancy fans, we will take anything else we can. I'm not sure how different the remastered version will be from the original, but I am sure it will still be good.

We are huge Nancy Drew fans (own all the story books, cookbook, clue book, games, etc.) so we enjoy the computer games. I will say, though, if you are not a fan of Nancy and/or adventure games, you might not enjoy this style. In the original version of this game, there is basically no hand holding. The more recent games, to which I believe this remastered version more closely resembles, have hints in the form of a checklist of things to do and the ability to call someone for hints. Still, you really have to think. The developer also has a message board where you can get help if you absolutely can not figure it out on your own (www.herinteractive.com). There are also two modes of play, Junior and Senior Detective, one a lot more difficult than the other which can extend gameplay.

We just got through purchasing Shadow at the Water's Edge from the developer because we couldn't wait any longer. I think it will be a while before they show up here, but if someone really likes the Nancy Drew games and has purchased all the games offered at BF, I would highly recommend checking out the newer games at the developer's site. For those who love super scary games, Shadows at the Water's Edge fits the bill.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Mar 15, 11 1:37 PM
sinshack wrote:I can understand the "No demo, no sale" policy by many gamers, but until just a couple of years ago this was standard on all large file games. We never got demos on them, because in order to get a demo the developers have to create a completely separate "game" that only has the first few chapters. It's very rare that we don't get a demo now, so this one really sticks out.

On the other hand, you don't get a demo if you buy this game "in the box" in a physical store, and you're paying $19.99 plus tax if you buy it that way, so for $6.99 I'll take the risk. With Nancy Drew, it isn't much of a risk - I've never been disappointed in an ND game.

As CasualGran stated, the Nancy Drew series is for true Adventure game fans. You don't get sparkles, you don't get an interactive map that lets you jump from place to place, you don't get a helpful pocket dragon or fairy sitting in the corner telling you what to do next.

What you DO get is hours and hours of fun, a chance to really THINK, and for those of us who grew up reading those yellow hardcover books, a chance to be 10 years old again.

Can't beat that!

ETA: Oh, goody! Coins to collect! I'm not sure what you get if you collect them all (an Achievement, I think) but if you go to any closeup and see a slight sparkle, click on that area and you get a coin. I'm not sure how many there are, either. SO far, I found 3.

I agree with you (and CasualGran) 100% I have never been disappointed in a ND game - That also goes for the Sherlock Holmes Games too! COME BACK GOOFYDUCK - We miss you!

Lean

Just had to come back and say been playing for 6 hours now and decided to take a break. IT DIDN"T SAVE MY GAME AUTOMATICALLY!! Oh no Oh no Oh no I hadn't finished yeT It didn't even ask if I wanted to save or if I really wanted to leave it just put me back at the game manager!! EWWWWWWWW :-(

Lean

Edited on 03/15/2011 at 8:23:12 PM PST

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Mar 15, 11 1:39 PM
Bought this from a store for 19.99 a few months ago for my daughter and she absolutely loves it. I wish BF would have gotten it earlier but that's OK because the game is worth every penny. A steal at 6.99.

[Post New]by jancheyenne on Mar 15, 11 3:34 PM
hideobjectaddict wrote:
MarySATX wrote:
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:No demo! I buy not a game without a demo.
Ditto!

Double ditto, still have 3 cards from last month & can't find a single game this month worth using, considering the money spent to fill those three cards! Now all this raving about a game I can't even try is almost as bad as not being able to use our credits on C.E.'s. All that's available & worth purchasing are the regular editions of the games I've already spent $14.00 on to begin with. Just tired of trying to rationalize keeping my membership going, so far this month, I can't. From what I've been reading, I won't be the only one dropping this membership due to poor choices of games. Can someone please suggest a good adventure &/or HOG game to spend my credits on? Thanks in advance, hideobjectaddict (includes adventure games)

Check the Large File section (Big Fish). I love these adventure games. My favorites are Return to Mysterious Island (1 and 2), Art of Murder, and all of the Carol Reed mysteries (Remedy is one of them). If you like the Carol Reed ones you can go to the site and you can see the order in which they came out. If you try any of these, I hope you enoy them.

sunloving
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by sunloving on Mar 15, 11 3:40 PM
Just out of principle, I will not buy a game without demo-ing it first - just like I don't make any purchases for clothes, etc. from stores without a return policy. If the ND games are as good as some of you say they are, then the developers should willingly have a demo available. Not a good business policy on their part, in my opinion.

Akenta
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by Akenta on Mar 15, 11 3:55 PM
I was excited to see this listed as a game. The first it the series, but remastered. Definite buy for me. Of course, it's a large file game, so got to make room on my computer.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Mar 15, 11 4:13 PM
sunloving wrote:Just out of principle, I will not buy a game without demo-ing it first - just like I don't make any purchases for clothes, etc. from stores without a return policy. If the ND games are as good as some of you say they are, then the developers should willingly have a demo available. Not a good business policy on their part, in my opinion.

For sunloving and anyone else who would like a demo of the game, I do understand your not wanting to buy without a demo. If you will go to the developers website www.herinteractive.com, you can find a demo of the games Shadow at the Water's Edge and Trail of the Twister. While it they aren't the same game, it will give you a taste of what Secrets Can Kill is like.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Mar 15, 11 8:28 PM
Sinshack wrote: "ETA: Oh, goody! Coins to collect! I'm not sure what you get if you collect them all (an Achievement, I think) but if you go to any closeup and see a slight sparkle, click on that area and you get a coin. I'm not sure how many there are, either. SO far, I found 3."

I have played a while now and so far I can only see that they are for playing the "pong type" game & the Juke Box in Maxines. I had found about 16 so far took a break from the game after 6.5 hrs and it didn't SAVE my game & I hadn't finished! I am really bummed out it didn't even ask if I wanted to save before leaving! This is the first (I own 5 others) ND game that has done that to me!! :-(

Lean

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Mar 15, 11 10:09 PM
Thank you ,thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Mar 15, 11 10:39 PM
Leanda1 wrote:Sinshack wrote: "ETA: Oh, goody! Coins to collect! I'm not sure what you get if you collect them all (an Achievement, I think) but if you go to any closeup and see a slight sparkle, click on that area and you get a coin. I'm not sure how many there are, either. SO far, I found 3."

I have played a while now and so far I can only see that they are for playing the "pong type" game & the Juke Box in Maxines. I had found about 16 so far took a break from the game after 6.5 hrs and it didn't SAVE my game & I hadn't finished! I am really bummed out it didn't even ask if I wanted to save before leaving! This is the first (I own 5 others) ND game that has done that to me!! :-(

Lean

Hi leanda, that is odd, the times when i have left, it has always asked me if i wanted to save... have you tried loading a game? in my load games, there is my saved game (secrets) a 2nd chance safe, and autosave... maybe you have the last 2 in yours?

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Mar 16, 11 12:26 AM
lilTweet7 wrote:<snip>Another great aventure series is the 'Myst' games. I would love to see BF carry those as well.
They do carry RealMyst -- the original game redone in 3D with added chapter. You may have to do a search or access it through the All Game Forums. I didn't see it in the main list of games.

The ND games are great adventure games and provide hours of puzzling fun. I have yet to try this one, but have several others that I really enjoy. If you get really "stuck" you can always do a search for a walkthrough to help you out. There are places out there that have them available.

Edited on 03/16/2011 at 12:29:16 AM PST

[Post New]by CaymanTurtle on Mar 16, 11 2:20 AM
It's a ND game so an automatic purchase for me! Love this series. However, I did finish this one rather quickly. I downloaded it at lunch time and was finished by dinner. Still, worth every penny!
Can't wait for BF to get the last few of the series!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 16, 11 4:57 AM
It took me all day yesterday to play the game (with help from the gameboomers walkthrough) and I replayed it today to try to get more achievements and to find all the quarters (coins.) The walkthrough missed several coins - they list 128 as the total coin count, but I found 212. Even if you add in the 80 coins for the 2nd Easter Egg (which they forgot to add in) they were still short by 4 coins, but they were ones that I accidently found the first time through, so I managed to get them all. Still didn't get all the achievements, though, but I'm going to wait a few months to try again.

This was the shortest of the Nancy Drew games, which isn't surprising since it was the first one (the remastered version, as other gamers mentioned, upgraded the graphics and gameplay to make it closer to the more recent ND games.) It was still a good 6-8 hours for most gamers, less if you use the walkthrough extensively or are REALLY good at these games. My 2nd time through, using the walkthrough the whole way so I didn't miss any coins, took me just under 4 hours. I did get the achievement for investingating every clue, so I'm sure someone out there can cut my time in half - but they will also cut their enjoyment in half, because there is so much to see and do in these games.

For anyone who enjoys large file and adventure games but won't try this because there is no trial offered, go to the developer's website. Her Interactive is the developer, and they have trial games for a couple of other Nancy Drew games, but not this one. If you've played ND, you already know what to expect (and you almost certainly already purchased this one) but if not, playing the trials for the other two games will give you a good feel for this one, and could help you make up your mind. If you aren't buying because you are worried you will run into computer problems, remember that BFG guarantees their games 100%, so if there is a glitch with your computer they will get it working or give you a refund.

I hope everyone enjoyed this game as much as I did! It was nice to have another ND game here, rather than paying $19.99 at the developer's site or other sites. It was free for me, since I used a punch card credit! It was wonderful to finally have a great game to spend it on.

Edited on 03/16/2011 at 5:00:35 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Mar 16, 11 10:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up on that one Mcurty!! I did not see that one here on BF before. I'll check it out. So a big thanks again!

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Mar 16, 11 5:44 PM
thanks for the tip sparkle, but no alas, I went back today (I didn't have the heart to try yesterday after the snafu!) and It just started the game all over! I found the "save game" button today however so probably tomorrow will sit down and try to get thru the whole thing (Yeah for being retired! LOL! Back to the play!

Lean

P.S. I saw mcurty had mentioned that BFG has the Myst original game. I bought it years ago for more than $19.99 and it doesn't work on these new computers to I wanted to say THANKS - I have a game coupon credit and now know what I will be spending it on! I think this is the best part of BFG - Its' subscribers! Thanks ALL

Lean

deeno2
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by deeno2 on Mar 17, 11 1:40 PM
well...I really enjoy the nancy drew games as a whole...some I have enjoyed more than others. This one was quite short compared to the others but it might be a good one for someone who's never played them before.
I was a little disappointed that there were many things that were not important to solve the case. All the word puzzles were unnecessary because simply talking to the people involved gave almost all the clues.
Also there were things unused such as the cutting board with the knife and the tomatoes in the diner kitchen. And the book with the discription of the marshall arts fighting poses...I was expecting to use that information at the end in a big fight scene...oh well...I did enjoy the game though....just a little lunch bag let down.

MoDreams
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,179 Posts

[Post New]by MoDreams on Mar 18, 11 5:52 AM
Just finished playing this. What a treat and got this for free with a credit! Wow! I've been a fan of the LF files ever since the original Myst came out and my daughter said "Mom, youve got to play this!".

I've tried one other ND Game "Legend of the Crystal Skull" which was longer than this one and I think more difficult. At least I had to resort to a walkthrough more often. In this game I had found nearly all the clues so just needed a bit of help at the end to pick up one I had missed and a few coins.

Deena, the books were an "extra" for achievement - if you found them all (guess I didn't though I sure tried!), most of them were about other Nancy Drew games. The cutting board with tomatoes had a warning written on it. The book with the pictures of Ichi-Do was rather funny - a red herring to divert you from the one you really needed.

I think this would be a good first game for someone not quite used to the LF format and a great way to start on Nancy Drew.

Mccurty I am wondering if RealMyst will play with the newer computers? I had ordered a colector's edition of the first three in the Myst series which were supposed to have been upgraded for newer systems, but unfortunately the first two would not play for me, even in compatibility mode, because my flat screen monitor could not go down to a low enough resolution. The 3rd one played ok though (Riven).

aniem
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by aniem on Mar 21, 11 8:57 AM
The best thing about being able to try a game before buying it is that you know if it will run on your system or not.I bought the game and can't run it as I get the old "access violation". However I installed it on a hard drive with minimal updates installed and it ran fine. 2 hard drives, one laptop... What to do!?!?

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Mar 22, 11 4:59 PM
I love large file games and am always happy when Big Fish gives us one! I especially like games with intricate plots, lots of intellectually stimulating and varied puzzles, interesting places to explore, good sound tracks, and interesting graphics, with lots of items to manipulate, use and examine. Sadly, in my humble opinion, “Nancy Drew Secrets Can Kill Re-mastered” has none of these. I found it a dull, dialog-loaded, monotonous game. The puzzles were essentially all of one type and you solved them over and over again in different scenarios. The characters were unidimensional and the conversations were extremely tedious and did not offer an option to skip. I found the game movement too slow, and found myself plodding through the scenes and screens. I really did not care for it at all. Sorry. I give this game 2 points out a possible 10. My scoring logic is: One point for being a large file game; and the other point for having puzzle solutions which are logical.
What I’d love to see are more large file games with the complexity and beauty of Journey to the Center of the Earth, Return to Mysterious Island, or Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches.

Go to: