NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Aztec Tribe: New Land

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Mar 20, 11 1:33 AM
I'm not certain this game is better than the first one. It's harder, but not necessarily more satisfying. And the lightning strikes and fires get to be more irritating than fun. Also it seems there is a bug with the "large" versions of the builds like gold mine, etc. They give no more resources than the smaller builds. At least in endless.

I like TM games a lot, but this one really doesn't cut it. It's not really strategy oriented. More "work fast as possible and still get nowhere" oriented.

[Post New]by ChiliCheezFries on Mar 20, 11 1:52 PM
I guess I'm the oddball here because I'm really enjoying this game. I found the lack of tutorial to be a fun challenge and learned that it takes a lot of strategy to figure out how to get the needed materials in time. You won't get gold simply by clicking randomly on products as they're manufactured, you have to figure out where to place your workers and which buildings to upgrade in order to get the most bang for your click. I have finished the game with gold on most levels and silver on the others. I'm working on achieving gold on all levels. It won't be easy but it adds to the overall playing time.

jlanger78
Marlin
Marlin
9,474 Posts

[Post New]by jlanger78 on Mar 20, 11 8:23 PM
I bought this game based on other's review.. expecting a "Royal Envoy" type experience.. I don't know who said that but I don't think they are comparable at all. I spent half an hour on one level trying to finish, and just when I almost finished another building breaks. I didn't find it enjoyable at all and I am sorry I bought it

Gameslave
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Gameslave on Mar 20, 11 8:30 PM
This is my first negative post on the BF forum. And it's not totally negative.

But I'm motivated to share my experience.

I loved the first Aztec Tribe (yes, it was kind of clunky with basic graphics and not much story, but I loved) so when I so the sequel, I bought it after 5 minutes of trial. BIG MISTAKE!

The original was fun. This game is just basically annoying!

As others have pointed out so well, things just break down too often (annoying). Plus, on top of the breaks there's well water (annoying). Just too much.

And even on top of that...the developers seem to think that we'll find it fun (on top of all the hits) to not give us the ability to build basic structures so that we have to go to the market to barter for goods. And, I'm here to tell you that were being forced to barter for one item is kind of irksome, to be missing for two is just no fun at all.

And I find it most of all annoying that although there are levels in this version, they don't seem to matter. In the original game, you could opt out after finishing the copper version (or silver) and move on. Here, although there are levels, you are apparently committed until finishing all levels.

Just a heads up here. If you played the original game and absolutely and totally loved the market, you very well may like this version.

Otherwise, be sure and play out the whole hour's trial before buying.

Me, I'm quitting on this game. (And I did go back and play the original before posting this -- original fun .... this annoying!

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Mar 21, 11 6:48 AM
Spot on Gameslave. You've said it well.

Warning: my copy of the original Aztec Tribe still has that annoying bug where it sometimes just breaks the game and stops on its own, completely erasing whatever work you have done on a level. Doesn't seem there is a fix for that, and oddly even this version did it once. (But at least only once.)

[Post New]by Cabbagepatcher on Mar 24, 11 12:27 AM
Gameslave wrote:This is my first negative post on the BF forum. And it's not totally negative.

But I'm motivated to share my experience.

I loved the first Aztec Tribe (yes, it was kind of clunky with basic graphics and not much story, but I loved) so when I so the sequel, I bought it after 5 minutes of trial. BIG MISTAKE!

The original was fun. This game is just basically annoying!

As others have pointed out so well, things just break down too often (annoying). Plus, on top of the breaks there's well water (annoying). Just too much.

And even on top of that...the developers seem to think that we'll find it fun (on top of all the hits) to not give us the ability to build basic structures so that we have to go to the market to barter for goods. And, I'm here to tell you that were being forced to barter for one item is kind of irksome, to be missing for two is just no fun at all.

And I find it most of all annoying that although there are levels in this version, they don't seem to matter. In the original game, you could opt out after finishing the copper version (or silver) and move on. Here, although there are levels, you are apparently committed until finishing all levels.

Just a heads up here. If you played the original game and absolutely and totally loved the market, you very well may like this version.

Otherwise, be sure and play out the whole hour's trial before buying.

Me, I'm quitting on this game. (And I did go back and play the original before posting this -- original fun .... this annoying!

I'm with you all the way. I bought this game because I enjoyed the first one. This is just plain boring and I'm quitting it.

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 12:31:05 AM PST

Nansky69
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by Nansky69 on Mar 24, 11 4:55 AM
It's a real bummer, wasted my credit on this one just to find out it is very annoying, can't figure out how to play the endless game, it won't save so you have to start over again and again, what fun is that?

TIP: TRY THE FULL HOUR BEFORE BUYING!!!!!!!

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 4:55:30 AM PST

[Post New]by Cabbagepatcher on Mar 24, 11 6:02 AM
I would also like to mention how useless the porter is - he hardly picks up anything, and since you can never tell when he is going to pick up goods you end up collecting it all yourself anyway,
How far did those of you who quit get before you lost patience? Mine ran out on whatever the level is where you have to build six poultry farms. I just found I was buying in wood over and over as everything kept breaking down,
If I had ten thumbs they would all be pointing down.

auntof6
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by auntof6 on Mar 25, 11 1:13 AM
I'm trying very hard to like this game. I like what it should be, but the bugs and too-frequent need to repair things are way too much. I'm currently on level 23 (where you have to build a lightning rod). Things break down so frequently that it seems like you need to build up a million of each resource before it's worth trying to satisfy the goals because things will break as soon as you build them. You just shouldn't have to play a level for several hours just to get to a point where you can do something constructive.

I don't even think playing the full trial hour will give someone a feel for how frustrating this game can be. I did play the full hour before I bought the game, and it gets worse after that. I'm hoping that they can fix the bugs and that they'll improve the frustrating bits at the same time.

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Mar 26, 11 9:25 AM
It took me a few days, but I did finally "finish" the game. I didn't finish like I usually like to in games - with all or most of the achievements, and gold times on all the sections - but I did at least finish the non-timed games.

I did get the hang of it after a while, and figured out how to deal with the nasty issues like excessive breakdowns and lightening strikes. (Joy lowers breakdown frequency, and as for lightening you eventually can create a lightening rod. The level 3 rod virtually eliminates those nasty lightening strikes on your properties.)

So, I have to put up a spoiler here. The last 4 or five levels of the game are essentially exactly the same. They aren't that hard once you get the hang of the best order to build - chief's house, houses, resources, well, lightening rod, shrines, army/hunters. There is a core shrine that basically does nothing, so it's best left till you finish up the rest.

I seriously doubt I will bother much with the timed version, though I'm guessing that is where you get the rest of the achievements. I'm glad I finished the un-timed part, but the basic spoiler is even with doing this there wasn't much to accomplish.

[Post New]by stanley6489 on Mar 28, 11 11:46 AM
Sorry. Just didn't like it. After I got to the higher levels - 23 up - it was extremely frustrating because the buildings kept breaking before I could get the resources together to mend them. Gave it up at level 23. Just not fun. Life is frustrating enough without the added hassle.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Mar 28, 11 3:36 PM
for a minute i wondered what game i was playing after reading some of the responses here... frankly, i was having a blast and had no idea what i needed a lightning rod for - ??? and i totally missed the timer thing - have been playing on 'casual' all this time and never knew it

so i started up a new profile and played with the timer on... and i have to say that, while it doesn't make the game more difficult, it does take a little of the fun out of it for me... i was just going along and building and fixing and growing and mining and minding my own business... then i came into the forum and found out that i hadn't quite been doing right... well, you know what i have to say that?

screw the timer!

so i'm going back to my game and playing it my way and having fun again, because trying to be an expert is really no fun at all and i like my games to be fun! [not to mention, i had a gold star on every level and never knew how long it took me ]

as for a 'hint of royal envoy' i think you're looking for the timebuilders game... picked these two up together and really like both of them... also picked up the new survivor and will be tackling that sometime this week in the midst of march madness and this crazy weather we're having!

now, if you'll excuse me, i have some aztecs to go play with

[Post New]by huien01 on Apr 10, 11 9:34 AM
OMG! I think I must be in the minority here. As a fan of the original Aztec Tribe, I was all too eager to try this one when it came out. To my horror, it is way too repetitive for my liking. You always start doing the same things at the beginning in order to get to the stage where you can begin to meet the goals. It was all a big yawn for me. But then, I have a really short attention span...

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Apr 12, 11 7:28 PM
I just finished the game. I am not sure I can recommend it. It DOES require some strategy, but only one strategy. So, once you've got that figured out...Parts of this game are very tedious (breakdowns, fires, lightning). And, yes, smacking animals to get food is fun for two seconds and then it is just annoying. I didn't play the original game, so I have nothing to compare it to.

A few thoughts: I liked the quirky graphics and the Chief--doing his dance--is cute. In general, I like the idea behind the game. Take all the time you want. Get stars if you perform well. This is a long game, but that might not be a good thing.

Instructions are not really helpful, when it comes to figuring out a strategy. Please be aware that on each level you will have several sets of goals to complete. When you meet the first set of requirments, the next set appears. That really threw me off at first! Also, as soon as possible (higher levels) start planting tobacco. It is worth the most. Also, when you can build a market, upgrade it to the max level to get the best value for your goods. Having a Chief increases production! And, for the love of all that is Holy, upgrade your lightning rod to the max as soon as humanly possible.

Overall: C+

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Apr 26, 11 1:34 AM
I loved the first one and I'm loving this one. They've upped the difficulty level which I am pleased about. If they hadn't changed anything - fishies might say that's it the same old thing.

I can't stop playing it. It's very different to almost anything else on here and might take some getting used to for newbies.

Hope they bring out another one. Got to go - got to upgrade my temple!

[Post New]by jellybiscuit on May 1, 11 10:41 AM
Ok game overall. My biggest complaint was that the last 4 or so levels are the exact same thing. I've never seen a game do that before.

Also, the pace of the endless games is odd. You spend 75% of the level grinding out the first 10% of the development.

I would have increased the speed of the porter and llama. The porter should be useful, and the llama fast enough to handle 4 or 5 tightly spaced productions.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on May 28, 11 12:02 AM
I found this game pretty fun as it was a bit more challenging to get gold on a level than most other games in the genre. I'll echo others who have complained about the last few levels being exactly the same, and not only were they identical, they were also pretty easy--I was able to get gold on them with lots of time to spare.

The graphics were cute and the music was good. I didn't run into any of the bugs that other people did, so either I have a new build that fixed everything, or I was just lucky!

ctippy1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by ctippy1 on Jul 21, 11 6:18 AM
Since a Strategy guide wouldn't be useful how about explaining how things work?? I know about the market and the chief's house, I know about somethings, but I can't " find the spoiler"How do you unlock the sawmill on level 6?" as stated earlier and I can't seem to find help with level 8?!?

I need things I can only buy in the market but no chief's house... I'm getting extremely frustrated with a TM game and am beginning to resent my buying it?!?

Is there any specific help for instructions for this game that another TM'er would be will it post for us not so familiar with this series?

Thanks a Bunch!!

Signed

Stressed over a bunch of virtual people?! whaat?

[Post New]by sparker525 on Jul 26, 11 4:16 PM
Is there a secret to getting your luck up? Are certain buildings worth more luck? I've been playing level 17 for about 2 hours and finally made it past every single building breaking down at the same time but now I can get the freakin luck up! I'm stuck at 7/14. It's REALLY frustrating because instructions are nonexistent and I need help!! Please...help!!

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Sep 22, 11 8:51 PM
I love this kind of game when it has an untimed mode. First, I didn't get the trial from here, so it was glitchy. Then this is the second worst game I've played for instructions. (the worst had few instructions and obviously been translated from the original by bablefish. They made no sense in English) I had been thinking about buying it but unless I find good instructions on here...and from the reviews it seems really clicky. Not worth risking carpal tunnel for.

As always, it's the graphics that make the game for me. This one has cute animations too. However I'm having trouble telling the bad guys apart from the porters. Don't think it would be good for people who have problems with vision. Guess the music isn't bad because I didn't have to turn it off.

UPDATE: After playing obsessively all night (I'm nocturnal) and well into the morning I gotta say...WHY????? I think my meds need adjusting, LOL. My wrist hurts, I have a long day ahead of me and I'm ticked off with the game and myself. I got it for free, but I'm deleting it. Not worth the space on my computer. Plus I might forget and accidentally get sucked in again. There is a bright side (I'm such a Pollyanna...anyone old enough to remember her? Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms?) after this I'm actually thinking cleaning the cat box will be a relief!

Edited on 09/23/2011 at 9:16:19 AM PST

Go to: