misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Insider Tales:The Stolen Venus 2

[Post New]by misty5 on Mar 20, 11 2:29 AM
oildriver wrote:I can't figure out what to cut with the scissors. Tried everything.

Editing to erase spoiler. I tried to hide it so it would have to be highlighted to be seen, but it didn't work. Sorry, fishies.

Edited on 03/23/2011 at 7:30:52 AM PST

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Mar 20, 11 2:49 AM
For some reason the graphics are very pixilated on my screen ... everything is blurry with little square edges. Makes it totally unplayable ... which is a shame as it looked as if it could be a decent game. I did 2 H0 scenes and the objects were OK apart from the pixel blur ... gave up after the thimble ... it was just a grey textured blur on my screen. My screen is large but not that massive to cause this ... I've only seen it before on a few games.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 20, 11 3:46 AM
Elkestra wrote:

(Apologies if this review isn't quite as good as the previous two... the words just didn't seem to want to flow this morning )

You done good. And if the mood isn't right, don't force yourself... and didn't that come out creepy. You know what I mean.

I took a peek at my account and saw I had the Casanova game but the memory of it is very vague. But I'm going to snap this one right up as encouragement to BFG to continue offering us decent HOGs. Doesn't even have to be everyday, I'm not greedy!

I remember when we had a wealth of daily HOGs to choose from and people were complaining at that, saying they couldn't afford all of them. I wonder if we'll see that happening again.

ETA to stay on topic... just played for about 15 minutes and this game is a lot trickier than I was expecting! The graphics are nice and clear, the music/ambient sounds are unobtrusive and the game play is just different enough from the norm that I'm actually struggling to figure out what I'm supposed to do. Another good game, thanks BFG!

Edited on 03/20/2011 at 4:42:32 AM PST

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Mar 20, 11 4:10 AM
Intersting discussion here. I love WolfenRaindancer's phrase
but most of us have worked all of our lives....we don't want to serve someone burgers, or drinks, or any of those other TM things.

Well for me, avoiding TM games is not so much about doing menial tasks (and there are Zoo, holiday resort type TMs too), but since in my line of work, I have to watch the clock all the time as I run on an apointment system,
it is ABSOLUTELY no fun watching the clock in a game
(although somehow doing a HOG in timed mode is OK...don't ask me why...maybe because there's no dratted "customers" getting stroppy with me if I fail! )

HOGs and iHOGS and FROGS with great graphics and atmosphere, and hopefully a good story, or at least something to keep you playing - like maybe good replay or a challenge........are great relaxing games

so if BFG can come up with a good mix of these, with different genres e.g. mystery/detective, historical, romantic, creepy, vacation, fairytale, house/fashion makeover, bit of science fiction...

any other genres???
it will be good for business for all us HOGGERS
(Is that a pig? If not please can we have a pig smiley?)

Anyway...I;m off to have a look at these Insider Tales...

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 20, 11 4:11 AM
I like this game - bright and shiny screens, aesthetic view of the surroundings, visible objects, and the Adventure Mode is mixed even in the HOG screens. The hint system is very helpful, and the story is intriguing.

By the view of the ship, we will have some "love boat"...

It's a buy for me. Thanks, developers, thanks BF!

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 20, 11 4:11 AM
Elkestra, another good job with your review. Did you learn from GoofyDuck or do you two use the same criteria or something? Maybe the same checklist or template? lol Anyway, very well done. I'm downloading now, but I'll probably buy it because I have my 77-year-old mother who also plays these games with me and we like to keep em simple.

janierae
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by janierae on Mar 20, 11 4:27 AM
Just finished the demo and I am enjoying this game. I will purchase with a game credit. I am stuck right now so must wait for some more posts.

It's a bit of a challenge for me. I usually play in hard mode. This one doesn't have that option but I'm still finding it a challenge. Even with a few sparkles here and there.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Mar 20, 11 4:44 AM
This is a pleasant change from the dark & eerie IH0Gs we have had of late, basically it is a detective story set in various locations; the graphics are light & pleasing, a bit grainy in places but nothing too bad. As noted by Elkestra although my widescreen was filled for the introduction the game had black curtains either side which meant the actual playable screen size was the usual size.

The music is pretty bland but as there were no voiceovers it was no hardship to switch it off; there was a fanfare every time I completed a task which swiftly became irritating. The hint recharges at around 40 seconds & after a great many mis-clicks the cursor does a little twirl.

There is very little handholding in this game & sometimes I got confused as to what to do next but by revisiting areas & thinking hard I worked it out without having to revert to the walkthrough. Some of the mini games were simple but others really taxed my brain although I am sure an experienced gamer will have no problem.

Looking at the walkthrough there are four chapters however this does not mean the game is very short; in the demo I completed chapter one in about 40 minutes but chapter two is split into 5 areas & I had only just got into area number two when my hour was completed. I believe this game will take me around 3-1/2 to 4 hours to complete bearing in mind I am a medium paced player.

I liked the hidden object scenes, some of the things were hard to find & you have to move, open or combine items to complete the list.

Thank you Intenium & Deep Shadows for what I believe will be enjoyable game; based on the demo this is nicely developed & interesting to play, definitely a buy for me.

[Post New]by lilmissmolly on Mar 20, 11 6:09 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:Oh, I think I am dreaming...I demoed this one, and didn't buy yet, but only because I was going out of town. I played the others and I enjoyed them...decent hogs...gotta admit, BF is shocking the everliviingheck out of me...I do find it hard to believe that they are actually listening to us...but there is a part of me, that is still hopeful...we may not make you billionaires, in the short run...but we are your regulars that you can count on. You bring it, we will buy it, but we don't do trash...know what I mean? We do understand that not every game is totally excellent, but we do expect good. I think someone has seriously underestimated the fan base here. Yes, most of us like HOGS, and we will pay for decent ones. Some of us will buy other genres at times, but most of us have worked all of our lives....we don't want to serve someone burgers, or drinks, or any of those other TM things. Sure, you do have some that do, and I understand throwing them a bone. I don't mind sharing, and I do believe in fair. But I can tell you, there are few sites that cater to hoggers, and many that have all of the other games. I am loving these games from BF this week...but gotta adimit, I am afraid to get my hopes up. Could just be a temporary aberration, or maybe the "new guy" is on vacation, but I am hopeful that SOMEONE is actually taking notice.

My sentiments exactly.

kali55
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by kali55 on Mar 20, 11 6:17 AM
Lucy1997 wrote:I rarely delete a trial game after five minutes because I like to give games a chance, but I did so with this game. The play was sluggish (at least on my computer), so it had that "slo-mo" feeling. The first Hidden Object scene had a pair of scissors that were to cut something to find a coin: I tried for several minutes to cut everything in sight, but no luck and the hint button (which I also don't like to use) was no help. So, I asked myself, "Do I really care about the stolen Venus?" and realized I didn't.

Maybe I was influenced in my impatience by having replayed tonight Vogat's Elixer of Immortality: now that's a good game--creative, innovative, mysterious, and challenging!

LMAO Lucy1997. Just what time did you have those "Scissors in hand?" When I read your post all I could see is a woman sitting at her computer at three in the morning (like most of us) with the animated scissors cutting at everything and saying each time AH! there you are....clip clip gotcha" Nope....aha! Now I gotcha NOPE....only to find out for at least an hour nothing would clip

Personally, I think we all have gone senile. How are we all going to be able to bring these games to the nursing home with us? When they take us out kicking and screaming they will think we do not want to go to the nursing hime. Heck no, BUT NOT WITHOUT MY HOG's

adrienne1
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by adrienne1 on Mar 20, 11 6:51 AM
Really enjoying all the week's HOGs. Feeling really spoilt. It looks as though at long last someone has realised that when a HOG is reviewed there are thousands of views and when any other genre is on offer there are views in the hundreds. So they must have come to the same conclusion as thousands of us fishies already knew, that the HOG games are in more demand so therefore they will most likely sell more if they produce and offer more. "SIMPLES" as Aleksandr Orlov would say (Brits will know what I mean - apologies to other nationalities - it's just a very famous UK TV ad with a meerkat)

truddi
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by truddi on Mar 20, 11 6:54 AM
Lucy1997 wrote:I rarely delete a trial game after five minutes because I like to give games a chance, but I did so with this game. The play was sluggish (at least on my computer), so it had that "slo-mo" feeling. The first Hidden Object scene had a pair of scissors that were to cut something to find a coin: I tried for several minutes to cut everything in sight, but no luck and the hint button (which I also don't like to use) was no help. So, I asked myself, "Do I really care about the stolen Venus?" and realized I didn't.

Maybe I was influenced in my impatience by having replayed tonight Vogat's Elixer of Immortality: now that's a good game--creative, innovative, mysterious, and challenging!

I can beat even that Lucy, I played all of 2 minutes before I deleted this game.

The cursor seemed to have a mind of its own, floating around the screen. A sad no buy for me too, as I also have previous Insider Tale games.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Mar 20, 11 7:07 AM
The graphics are nice and clear with bright colors, but the cursor was very sluggish. It was an OK game, and I have no real criticism, but it just isn't for me. I dislike the scrolling screens, and there were a couple of things I just couldn't figure out...I think because the game wasn't grabbing me enough to make an effort. I'm not complaining. We've had good games this week, and I'm sure this will appeal to many people.

rahdaisy
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by rahdaisy on Mar 20, 11 7:36 AM
This really looked like a good game, but the curser was very sluggish. Played for about 15 minutes and couldn't take that slow curser anymore.

Would have been a buy for me, but.......oh well. Maybe something can be done to fix it and can be reinstalled.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Mar 20, 11 7:40 AM
I really wanted to play this game but the curser was sooo slow, it ruined it for me.
It looked like a really nice game.
Have fun everyone that can play

ETA: DOH! Forgot I had a laptop. Will DL the rest of trail on it and see. It's win 7 instead of vista.

Edited on 03/20/2011 at 7:42:09 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Mar 20, 11 7:42 AM
I was lucky & have had no tech problems; it must be really annoying if the cursor moves likes it's glued to the screen; sorry it's affecting so many - let's hope that there's an upgrade to help

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Mar 20, 11 7:59 AM
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I didn't see a "tech problems" thread.

I am having tremendous difficulty with the very slow, "jerky" cursor. Too, when I click on an arrow to move to another place, it moves verrrrry slowly. When finding a "hidden object" in a scene, it also moves very slowly - as if swimming in syrup! If I click on something "sparkling", the sparkles disappear verrrry slowly! Is this a true tech difficulty or a problem with my computer itself?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I am going to post this also to the "green envelop"!!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Mar 20, 11 8:08 AM
I really liked the first Venus but this one....I HATED!!!!!!

I found the game play very counter intuitive for me.

My cursor was so sensitive it drove me to distraction. I didn't like that some of the mini games you couldn't skip and I have to say I skipped anything I could. Found most of the mini games seriously tedious.... I HATE SLIDERS!!!!!!

I don't like games where you have to shlopp back and forth especially when you have so many different places to choose from on the map. Just having the map doesn't really do much, there are so many good games out there where the devs managed to make the map actually useful with symbols if you have anything left to do in certain spots.

Most of the HOG scenes just turned into a click fest for me. I didn't even bother looking on the list. I just clicked on something and eventually I got the list done. Some of the items were very obscured.

I don't remember the last time I played a game where I had to consult the walk through this often.

I really couldn't wait for this game to finish. This one really didn't do it for me.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 20, 11 8:52 AM
It is all coming back to me...I really enjoyed the Casanova one and I did enjoy what I demo'd of this one. Now I am curious to know what is going on with the other "Insider Tales" games and why they would make 2 games about "The Stolen Venus"

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Mar 20, 11 8:54 AM
I have rarely been so annoyed by a game so quickly. I played the whole hour. Here's my take. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which mini games are skippable (is that a word?) and which aren't. Maybe others wouldn't think of certain tasks as mini games, but I did. Another issue I had was in a couple of H0 scenes an items was located in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. It was an issue for me because It was under or right up against all of the menu stuff. In all of the games I have ever played that has never before been an issue for me, not even in the Insider Tales games I've played before. I don't recall being so annoyed be any of the other previous games in this series. In fact, the only reason I can recall playing any of the other games is due to the main character's name. For those that like it, have fun and happy Sunday. I'm off to replay Dark Parables I &II.

Go to: