Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Agency: Secrets of the Orient

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Mar 21, 11 5:28 AM
This one is not for me. Quite annoying actually. I can't ignore the characters when I play a game and those people had my teeth on edge. Seemed dated to me, like it was an old game dragged out and dusted off. I'll wait for something better.

Nynaeve70
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by Nynaeve70 on Mar 21, 11 5:44 AM
Thank you for the warning, CasualGran - I won't even bother trying the demo. That type of attitude on the part of a male makes me very upset.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Mar 21, 11 5:48 AM
I played 10 min and stopped and deleted because I'm just not in to this type of game.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Mar 21, 11 6:10 AM
Well - I downloaded this offering (it took an hour, on BB dl) and after playing for 43 minutes, I think I could have had more fun washing my car, putting air in the tyres, and watching paint dry! I’d class this as a straight H0G with puzzles in between watching Misogynistic Mike and Subjugated Sadie!

1. Music and SFX Volume
2. Full Screen and Animations
3.Difficulty

The setting's can be altered and I wish I had turned Music OFF, after 43 minutes of listening to this, I am now just coming down off the ceiling. It's monotonous and repeating and I shall have this 'ear-worm' all day.

The Full Screen was lovely though (filled my 17in monitor except for small black borders top and bottom). The 'Animations' can be turned off, which will probably turn off the chauvinistic g*t and his side-kick, who just slide in and out from the sides making silly comments.

I played on easy (after reading in the other reviews that timed was 'difficult'), and I'm glad I did, took me ages to find things in some of the scenes, especially where you have to find 'bits' to complete the images at the bottom of the screen. It was also difficult to see what parts were still left to find.

I didn't overclick, so don't know if the cursor does stupid things or not, I did use the hint in two H0 scenes and it took about a minute to refill.

Puzzles! I absolutely hate STD’s/FTD’s (Spot the Difference/Find the Difference). The jigsaw Map took me over 5 mins! I couldn’t work out the Gem puzzle circle thingy, and it took about 2 mins for the ‘Skip’ to fill so I could skip this one. Didn’t much go for the hippy hoppy ones either, the flowers/ Aladdins lamp ones. V frustrating.

After my 43 mins I had lost the plot, and also the will to live, but I will say this:

For those of you who LOVE Statistics and how long it’s taken you to do the puzzles etc you will love this one, cos you get a whole breakdown on each puzzle at the end! THE END.

Kel

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Mar 21, 11 6:14 AM
CasualGran wrote:
nomatt wrote:Lol CasualGran, they're not real you know. I mean would you refuse to play Call Of Duty just because it had Germans in it who during WW2 were not politically correct? Only messing here but does it matter? I personally never take any notice of the story, characters anyway so if they are a little, say, old fashioned so what?
I wouldn't think of playing Call Of Duty at all. That's for one. And the phrase: Oh c'mon it's just a movie, game, book, whatever, never took away any used cruelty, gore or misogyniscism. Those elements don't amuse me. Never have, never will. So why would I waste my time and money on this **** (too nasty word) of a game?
Well said, Gran! Why bother to have principles if we don't stand up for and support them?!

I appreciate your POV and your review - as always! - and for your reasons (and others) will give this game a pass.

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 6:14:50 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 21, 11 6:24 AM
UPDATE: Give this one a try - you might like it! I will be buying as soon as I finish this review.

I know several gamers had complaints about the attitudes of the characters in the game, but it IS just a game, and the underlying dynamics of the characters, if you really follow it, is not what it seems. Just because it is not PC doesn't mean it is not realistic.

The “boss” in the game is a real jerk (but who hasn’t had one of those?) He is rude to his employee but initially polite to his clients and those he interviews – then makes snarky comments about them when he is alone or only with his employee (calling the fortune teller an “old bag” for example.) Yeah, like I’ve never met a boss like THAT before!

The graphics are sharp and clear, and the H0 scenes are the least junkpile-y of any I have ever seen. The objects are not easy to find, but they are there and not the least bit fuzzy or grainy.

Hints recharge in one minute.

For the jigsaw puzzle that many seem to be having trouble with, I noticed that I sometimes need to click in a few spots before it works, especially with the rotating. One interesting thing is that you can join pieces together in whatever orientation they fit, then rotate the entire group of puzzle pieces – that was a nice touch and made it easier to assemble, because it’s not very clear which way is “up” until you have several pieces together.

I didn’t run into a click penalty, so at the very least you can click quite a bit before you have problems.

The Hint button isn’t really marked but it’s easy to figure out what it is – that big crystal ball in the lower right corner. It doubles as the Skip button in puzzles and minigames. I only skipped one mini-game, the one where you match the round disks according to the colors of the marbles on them. I’m not really sure what was required there, because you also had to match the colors that were in a few places on the background, and that was confusing. The top middle and the center rounds had fixed colors next to each other that didn’t match, so if someone finished that puzzle, please explain what we are supposed to be matching there.

The STD (spot the difference) puzzle was annoying as usual, and it only had one arrow so it was a bit more difficult. It was “fair,” though, no slight differences in color or slight size differences, just normal objects that are there or not.

(Continued)

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 21, 11 6:25 AM
(Continued)

Some H0 scenes are regular (find objects from the list) and some are FROGS (fragmented, you need to find the pieces.) The FROGS were some of the best-done I’ve ever seen, because they weren’t “In your face.” Most FROGS are too easy because the pieces just look so out of place that they are a snap to spot. These were well-blended but not impossible to find, placed in areas that they looked like they belonged.

The music is appropriate, but it annoyed me so I turned it down but not off, and then it wasn’t too bad.

Overall, I am really enjoying it. It’s not an interactive HOG, so don’t expect that, but it is a good solid HOG with an interesting story, so give it a try and see for yourself.

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Mar 21, 11 6:34 AM
WOW! Thanks CasualGran for those comments about the game and Kel for the painfully clear review! You both have saved me from even giving this a dl! No wasted on this one!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Mar 21, 11 6:36 AM
The graphics were crisp and clear but while you who have wide screens are happy the rest of us lose a full 1/3 of the screen at the top and bottom and there is no adjustment for it. I also didn't like having to use a right handed mouse only. I wasted the first several minutes trying to get it to fill my screen because the game had to be restarted everytime I tried clicking on any change. In the first HOG scene I had to find an apple which I promptly did but it wanted the other apple. I find that very irritating. I also didn't like the snarky comments by the boss. This just isn't a buy for me. I didn't make it to a minigame before I got rid of it so I can't comment on that. My opinion of this game is no thanks.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 21, 11 7:32 AM
CasualGran wrote:
sinshack wrote:
...I know several gamers had complaints about the attitudes of the characters in the game, but it IS just a game, and the underlying dynamics of the characters, if you really follow it, is not what it seems. Just because it is not PC doesn't mean it is not realistic...

Suppose, this mysogyniscism would only and exclusively be used in games, it would still make these games for a LOT of people, I'm sure
But... it IS real, alas, isn't it, mysogyniscism in the world today? And precisely because it still is, in too many cultures and societies around the globe, this game makes me (and not only me, as I've been reading in the meantime).

I really, really respect your opinion, CasualGran, and I don't disagree with what you are saying. What I'm saying, though, is not that I think it's OK to portray racial sterotyping, but that this game shows that the racist (boss) is the idiot, and the person he is putting down because of her race, his employee, is the intelligent one who is more capable and a better person than the racist boss.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Mar 21, 11 7:39 AM
Ummm.......No. When was this game developed?????It reminds me of older H0 games I've played. I quickly forgot about the fact that for once, I did not have any black on either side of the screen as for once, the game filled my wide screen monitor. I played in easy mode and given Peglegann's comments I'm glad I did. The hint took around two minutes to recharge and at least that in order to skip the mini games. The other issue there was the fact that once I clicked the crystal ball, if there was more than one level to the mini game it took me to the next level instead of skipping entirely. Hello, what makes the developers think I will be able to solve a harder level, if I couldn't solve the first one or two????????????Skip means skip it entirely. AS for the story, I agree with CasualGran and all of her comments relating to the game. Again_when was this developed? A couple of pluses, but they in no way make up for what's bad about this game. 1) Graphics were clean and the H0 scenes not too cluttered. 2) Some different things to find other than your usual sunglasses, apples, and such. . For those that like the game-have fun, it's just not for me at all.

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Mar 21, 11 7:41 AM
What annoyed me about the boss was that he was a jerk ... nothing to do with being PC or not. He just wanted slapping in general. I do presume it was part of the story of the game ... probably just overdone as it has annoyed so many of us.

maddee51
Clownfish
Clownfish
689 Posts

[Post New]by maddee51 on Mar 21, 11 8:52 AM
IMO I found it too slow going and boring from me

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 8:53:09 AM PST

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Mar 21, 11 8:54 AM
ElderJen wrote:Thanks CasualGran... no way am I even going to look at a game that smells of prejudice or discrimination. Thanks for pointing that out to us.

Nor would I -- this game's now been placed on my NEVER2BUY list and yes, CasualGran, THANK YOU very much for pointing out those 2 issues to us members.

MEnr56

[Post New]by dragon7380 on Mar 21, 11 8:59 AM
I really wish that BF Games would pass along to those developing the games one simple idea. CUT OUT THE ENDLESS DIALOG. I am so sick and tired of the endless, mindless dialog.
I deleted this game after 15 mins. I get so sick of having to click through endless and endless dialog.

I really wish someone would develop a HOG that does not have so much mindless dialog, it takes away from the pleasure of the game and just gives the game creator an excuse to make the actual game shorter. The Dialog is nothing but filler.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 21, 11 9:11 AM
CasualGran wrote:this mysogyniscism would only and exclusively be used in games,

(Removed by moderator)
I couldn´t even find it online nor in the online Dictionary. LOL

sinshack wrote:UPDATE: Give this one a try - you might like it! I will be buying as soon as I finish this review.

Thanks for the review, Sinshack. I always make up my own mind whether I like a game or not. And I will certainly give it a try.

Edited on 03/22/2011 at 4:08:21 AM PST

Minxiepieces
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by Minxiepieces on Mar 21, 11 9:11 AM
Well, I tried to like this game because the Indian setting was a nice change and the spa music was pleasant. Unfortunately, there were too many negatives to buy this. Even if you try to overlook the rampant sexism, instructions are poor, some objects are tiny, objects do not necessarily respond when you click on them, program does not work well, and all as described in other posts. The puzzles and HOGS do not seem to tie in with the theme - if there is a theme other than that the male character is a pig! It is disappointing because the Indian setting was a refreshing change for a HOG. Hope someone else sets a game in India, because the possibilities for really nice backgrounds and mysteries is tremendous!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 21, 11 9:16 AM
CasualGran wrote:
sinshack wrote:
......I really, really respect your opinion, CasualGran, and I don't disagree with what you are saying. What I'm saying, though, is not that I think it's OK to portray racial sterotyping, but that this game shows that the racist (boss) is the idiot, and the person he is putting down because of her race, his employee, is the intelligent one who is more capable and a better person than the racist boss.

OK, this could be the case. But to find that out, you have to continue playing, and I don't see how I could have gotten into a wiling mood like that after that super-annoying beginning! It would mean I'lld have given this man any credit. Oh no. Won't happen. Ban 'em, I'lld say. Away with characters like that! .

BANZAI!!!!

I agree with you gran. Playing this game would promote it and therefore promote the misogynistic attitude of the game. It doesn't matter if qualifiers are added to justify it. That's akin to having a character in a game using the "N" word and then being told it was wrong. It would be wrong to include it in the game at all.
Dr.good

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 21, 11 9:21 AM
Valdy wrote:
CasualGran wrote:this mysogyniscism would only and exclusively be used in games,

(Removed by moderator)
I couldn´t even find it online nor in the online Dictionary. LOL

sinshack wrote:UPDATE: Give this one a try - you might like it! I will be buying as soon as I finish this review.

Thanks for the review, Sinshack. I always make up my own mind whether I like a game or not. And I will certainly give it a try.

(Removed by moderator)

Edited on 03/22/2011 at 4:09:05 AM PST

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Mar 21, 11 9:28 AM
CasualGran wrote:Purely as a HOG/FROG it looks like an OK game. That is if you like old style, with silent pictures of characters sliding in for the in-between babbling and same old same old for the rest (piece-puzzling, STD etc.)

But the interaction between the male and female(s)... Absolutely unbearable to me.

First of all he is white-coloured and she is coloured. He is her boss and he has 'saved' her from the slums. Only this is enough to make me
Second his traditional woman-unfriendly attitude, immediately showing in his first remark about her being late as 'typical'. OMG, hold me back or else I strike him down, the pompous pr*ck.
Third the appearance of their first 'client' being one or the other sexy (un)dressed female fortune-teller.

This game is probaby made by a bunch of traditionally thinking not-emancipated male devs and I wouldn't even play this **** (too nasty word) for free.

Pff... have to make coffee now to recuperate...

Thank you SO much for reviewing the game prior to my having looked at it. I'm afraid it would take more than coffee for me to calm down!! .
It was a great review, and, I hope you're feeling a whole lot better now.... !!

Go to: