Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Revenge

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 23, 11 3:28 AM
Funny, I like fairy tales, and I supposed that this one will fulfill my expectations.

Partly, it did - good graphics, intriguing story with "known" motif (the witch kidnaps the prince), and a good try of the hint system to guide you.

But - developers, we are not familiar with witchcraft, and we need more help than the hints in the HOG screens. I need a guide - not an inquisitor...

There is not a problem to add some additional arrows, to show me where to go and what to do! In case of two fire places - I want to know which one of them I have to use, and how to use it!

When I search for some object, and I am allowed to click around - I can't get any hint from the simulator. "You can't get hints" - what is this? I need help, for god's sake...

That works on my nerves, and the bottom line is - deleting a game which I may be pleased to buy.

Pity, even with the grammar mistakes, I would buy it, if you could invest a little more effort to "interact" with the player.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 23, 11 3:35 AM
There is some confusion around the 2 lists, items and inventory. I thought mine disappeared too when I expected them to be in inventory. But once you find all the ingredients they become just one object in a pile til you get the cauldron, which seemed to disappear and wasn't sure where to put it, just luck when I clicked on some sparkle.

The changing colors are kinda like morphs, now you see them now you don't, or you stare til the color you need reappears and click fast. There was a mushroom that wouldn't move at all til I left that location and returned and grabbed it. I kept trying to gather splotches of honey on the ground which fade out, then saw how they drip first, have to be quick with the cup, hurry up and wait. /

It is an interesting game and I do admire the devs for trying some new gameplay, getting a bit tired of same formulas. This is really a lite adventure with locations to return to and she is on a quest. Most the dialogue was just setting the premise in beginning, Didn't seem to keep going. One thing confusing in the story tho, the "witch" was walled up 100 years ago for practicing, or accused of "witchcrafts". That's a bad. But now the queen is going to find her child and using magic to do her thing. A good? white magic? Not clear if she is a "witch" too, white witch not up to doing evil. I mean, mixing a potion to get a mermaid to help you isn't exactly logic or realism. May be creative license in writing a fairy tale where everyone uses magic, kiss a toad and all that. Just fantasy, but as always I am
puzzled

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Mar 23, 11 3:49 AM
Well, it is a bit of a shame. I think it has nice graphics. The stopper for me is that I have a wide screen. This gives me three options: play "full screen" with stretched images and bloated people, play windowed mode with normal images and my distracting desktop or don't play. I chose the third option.

I did play the Demo for a bit in windowed mode. The language is pretty awful. At first I thought maybe they were using obscure, archaic terms for things to match the period. I thought that if that were the case they should have included a dictionary. When i got to the "Gorget met" (I know what a gorget is) I began to suspect that the devs were foreigners with poor translators. I checked the credits. The names seem to be mostly Indian or Pakistani which explains the language (I guess).

Movement from one area to another is not very smooth. In the area around the water it seemed particularly bad (I didn't play much longer). In windowed mode, I did not get the "exit" curser until I actually moved my mouse below the window. This was a bit annoying/awkward.

I played two minis, one was catching honey in a cup and the other was repairing the sword. Hopefully there are other more interesting minis.

This game is worth a try. I suggest you at least do the demo if you like fairy tales and magic or if you like figuring out odd language. Sadly, it was not for me.

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 23, 11 3:52 AM
I'm downloading now. I'm sure I will find the reviews to be accurate, darn it! I wanted to like it and buy it. Well maybe we'll get something to work on that we can all enjoy for the weekend!

Well I tried, I really did! But I got to the point where I was suppose to find a gem for the sword and all they gave me was an iron ball that I was suppose to place somewhere in this mosleum type place with four statutes. They had given me three balls and I was able to place two, but the third would not go ANYWHERE! So there ya are. Needing a gem, stuck with a stupid iron ball and no where to stick it!. Typical!

Edited on 03/23/2011 at 4:44:04 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Mar 23, 11 3:56 AM
Hello fellow fishies. A gorget is a piece of armor (I don't know how I knew that), and cheppals are probably some kind of sandals (don't know how I knew that either). A goutstool is just that, a low cushioned stool for gout sufferers. I wasn't going to download this particular game and now I have to! Just out of curiousity to see what other terms the developers came up with and what other items they might have used. Doesn't sound like a purchase, but definitely I'm going to demo.

EDIT: Well, that didn't take long. I never got to the H/Os. I had no sound, even after checking, unchecking and checking again under the options. I was, apparently, supposed to find some kind of scroll in the first scene, but there was nothing at all to find, and couldn't move anywhere else to look. Hint was useless. Obviously, not a purchase or now, not even a demo! "Revenge if mine!"

Edited on 03/23/2011 at 4:20:40 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Mar 23, 11 3:59 AM
Well I only usually glance quickly over the small 'reviews/comments' just to get a rough idea what others think. Then I get the game and see for myself. I think you have all been too kind with this one, it sucks! I mean, my version is silent, objects often only respond to the tenth or so click, bad English (forgivable but avoidable), obscure descriptions, the list goes on. This was after eight minutes that I will never get back. Thank God the delete button works.

Edited on 03/23/2011 at 4:00:42 AM PST

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

Renaissance period game... Renaissance period word references

[Post New]by bluesinew on Mar 23, 11 4:01 AM
Interesting game... However, the graphics are not the best. Downloaded and installed without any problems. Some of the words are from the period so they may confuse some players. e.g a Gorget is medieval neck armor a gout stool is just that, a stool for those with gout, used mostly in Victorian times. There are so many really good games out there, that I am going to pass on this one.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 23, 11 4:01 AM
Well we all have our opinions. I personally love this game! The graphics are superb, there is no hand holding and the H0 scenes are clear! I had absolutely had no problems with any of the grammer, the items like goutstool (should read gout stool) and cheppals (slippers) are very minor. As I beta quite a few games, I am used to not having a walkthrough, so I tend to stick with things.
The music was terrible, so I turned it down.
The story is interesting, the woman has to do the work as usual. LOL!
I liked the morphing objects a really nice new twist.
Completely full screen for me, which does not happen very often with other games.
There is a guide to read, which will help in the playing of the game.
All in all, if you can play on your own, without a walkthrough, this really is worth a demo! Have fun all, whether you like this game or not. A definite buy for me

PS. Does anyone have any idea of length? I still think that this is worth using a "free" credit on.

sunnyrocks
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyrocks on Mar 23, 11 4:04 AM
I would have to bet that kids developed this game. It was a great attempt, however it needed to be edited. After I had collected everything to make the potion, I placed the ingrediants on the stone to get the caldron, well that did not work out because when I placed the caldron on the fireplace it wanted me to add the ingrediants, well I already used them to get the caldron so they were no longer in my inventory. So now with all the other scenes completed (according to the game) the game is over for me. Wow never even got through the demo. I can not wait to see the walkthrough.

I did play the hog scene at the dock, it never gave me a knife but I did get the 2 cups for the honey, I went back to see if there was a second HOG scene to get a knife but nope. At this point I do not need a knife since I no longer have the ingrediants in my inventory. ( I added this comment since someone had said this is where you get the knife)

I really did like the game, oh and yes the english was bad, bad, bad that is why I think kids developed this game. Here is a couple of funny things said in the beg, "100 year ago" and "after 100 years ago everyone had forgotten". I don't not think they had forgotten I think they were dead. LOL

No buy for me, If they fix it I will try again.

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Mar 23, 11 4:28 AM
I lasted about 5 minutes, I never did find the cups for the honey. Another stinker, shame on you BF, the quality of the games is getting pretty "iffy". No buy here!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 23, 11 4:53 AM
WOW!! We wanted "different" and I think we actually got it! This game is certainly worth a try - again, you may hate it, but you may be surprised and love it! Make up your own mind.

There are already several reviews here that give great details. Thank you everyone! Those reviews that give information on gameplay are very helpful to other gamers.

The thing that makes me consider buying this game is that the whole thing seems to be morphing, and I'm a sucker for morphing objects! If you don't see what you are looking for, just wait a moment and watch the screen, and it may show up. If not, try changing to another screen to see if it's there. I was totally lost looking for those red jellyfish until <<highlight for spoiler>> I saw movement in the lower right corner, and one swam right up to me! That's in the first forest scene to the left of the area with the guard.
There is a click penalty, but it's not too bad.

5 or 10 minutes isn't enough to really "get" this game. This is really innovative, and I'm impressed with the effort put forth by the developers. Once you already have it downloaded, give the whole FREE demo a try, and be patient. It is very different, and things you may interpret as "glitches" may just be that "new" stuff we have been crying for for months now.

I'll try to update later with a more detailed review (Oh, GooooofyDuck! Oh, GoooooofyDuck! Where aaaaaare you?) because I was so fascinated with the game that I forgot to take notes.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 23, 11 5:00 AM
doccat5 wrote:I lasted about 5 minutes, I never did find the cups for the honey. Another stinker, shame on you BF, the quality of the games is getting pretty "iffy". No buy here!

<<highlight for spoiler>> Go to the area to the right of the guard, near the edge of the water. There is an H0 scene there with the cups.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you can delete the game as early as you want, but after spending the time to download the game it seems a bit extreme to call the game a "stinker" because you couldn't find something after 5 minutes of playing. Most games are panned because they are too easy - this one isn't, but that doesn't necessarily mean it stinks.

But you ARE entitled to your opinion and you ARE entitled to voice that opinion. After all, it's your money.

Edited on 03/23/2011 at 5:00:48 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 23, 11 5:08 AM
sinshack wrote.
5 or 10 minutes isn't enough to really "get" this game. This is really innovative, and I'm impressed with the effort put forth by the developers. Once you already have it downloaded, give the whole FREE demo a try, and be patient. It is very different, and things you may interpret as "glitches" may just be that "new" stuff we have been crying for for months now

Not a criticism of any one but that was very well put sinshack

Louky
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Louky on Mar 23, 11 5:09 AM
I Love the game!!!!

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 23, 11 5:18 AM
I liked this game. It was challenging without hand holding. I think I would like to find out what is going on the rest of the story. I like that MOST of the items fit the age of the day that the storyline was set in and as a previous poster pointed out the words were just named according to the age of the day...not poor English, LOL! I don't think kids did this game. I'm not sure if I'll get the game because I have a lot of HOGs I haven't played yet but I sure am glad to see a nice game that is challenging and thought provoking that for me isn't too hard. I enjoyed what I played so far of the demo. I might get it later... I know some other great games are coming out this week according to Mudrock and I need to budget accordingly

ETA: since I'm not an art producer and this isn't my line of work I am probably way off on saying that the objects fit the age of the day the setting was in. But many of the objects did fit an older day...but I did see a paper clip or two! LOL!

Edited on 03/23/2011 at 5:59:40 AM PST

BillTheOne
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by BillTheOne on Mar 23, 11 6:05 AM
cheppals are Sandals Myself I like this Game! No prob. finding cups or potion or anything else,just spend a little time and LOOK,don`t complain.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 23, 11 6:17 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Funny, I like fairy tales, and I supposed that this one will fulfill my expectations.

Partly, it did - good graphics, intriguing story with "known" motif (the witch kidnaps the prince), and a good try of the hint system to guide you.

But - developers, we are not familiar with witchcraft, and we need more help than the hints in the HOG screens. I need a guide - not an inquisitor...

There is not a problem to add some additional arrows, to show me where to go and what to do! In case of two fire places - I want to know which one of them I have to use, and how to use it!

When I search for some object, and I am allowed to click around - I can't get any hint from the simulator. "You can't get hints" - what is this? I need help, for god's sake...

That works on my nerves, and the bottom line is - deleting a game which I may be pleased to buy.

Pity, even with the grammar mistakes, I would buy it, if you could invest a little more effort to "interact" with the player.

My translation for "You can't get hints"

The rest of what you are looking for is not in this scene so try another location such as the previous one.

Hope this helps .

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 23, 11 6:22 AM
SPOILER ALERT ... cups for honey ... highlight to read

They look like white thimbles

[Post New]by baglady159 on Mar 23, 11 6:24 AM
I gave it a try but after 30 min. just couldn't play anymore . Not my cup of tea, but other fishies may like it. I loved the newest Puppet Show and am spoiled with that caliber of game.
Hey lookie! I'm a lobster...

hubbasa
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by hubbasa on Mar 23, 11 6:41 AM
peglegann wrote:
CasualGran wrote:Continued comment after restarting with a new profile.

Oh my... it gets worse with the language. What on earth are 'cheppals'??? And what's a 'goutstool' ???
Dear devs, please use some kind of spellchecking at least, before releasing a game... this is horrible

Furthermore the gameplay continues to be jerky and the stuff you keep for later use is to be found in the objects list, not in the inventory. Confusing.

I'm not going to buy. Would be a waste of money.

Oh boy!! I cannot wait to finish work to try this one out! ROFL
Maybe the first one Gran should be "cheap pals" and the second one, a stool for someone with gout?
Thank you, you made me laugh this morning

"Cheppals" are shoes according to an article I found about villagers in India and products they make for themselves (Thanks Bing!).
"GoutStool" is indeed a specially designed stool for Gout. It was very popular in other centuries to help relieve the rich landowners who seemed to be the only ones that got Gout back then.

Go to: