Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 24, 11 3:29 AM
This is a really good ihog/adventure game, but I think I will wait for the release of the standard version (can`t afford another CE this month).

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 24, 11 3:33 AM
grabbinbugs wrote:Realistic scenery and superior graphics.

Too realistic... This time I am on the fence. I am more "fairy tales" fan, because it's a fiction. Reality scares me...

I'll wait for the coming ERS creation, about the witch who killed the whole kingdom, but the maid saved the princess and raised her as a peasant, until she was able to save the kingdom and kill the witch...

Anyway, fine work, Artogon! Thank you for your quality game. CasualGran says it all!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 24, 11 3:36 AM
Widescreen on my 17" laptop. That's a BIG persuasion for me to hit Buy Now. That's 2 games in a row that go wide and fill my screen. Only holdback is it does seem rather drab, at least the HOG scenes so far, browns, greys, not much color. Kinda faded, but oudoor scenes seem normal.

Haven't bought my monthly CE yet, 2 on hold, now a third to choose from. But I guess I can play through one more dark eeerie game and enjoy the laptop. Would def need the SG for this and other adventure games, although so far in the hour I have had to backtrack a few times missing an item, seems simpler than others. Haven't had a puzzle yet but that's when I really appreciate a SG or some clear instructions how to do them. Story is engaging right from the beginning so would like to keep going.

Really doesn't feel like the run of the mill either. Good quality game anyway.
W7 64 bit, 17.3" screen.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Mar 24, 11 3:38 AM
I am thinking the same thing, waiting for the SE to come out, I have bought a few CE;s and i do need to watch my budget..I really love the demo on this game..Just wished someone would tell me if the game is long or not. Happy Gaming..

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Mar 24, 11 3:46 AM
I am enjoying it so far. Good balance of hidden object scenes and gameplay. Not too much running back and forth and not overly obvious use of inventory. A little lagging when moving through scenes and close ups though... Won't buy until I have an idea of how long the gameplay is...hate buying short games for CE prices.

patkerash
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by patkerash on Mar 24, 11 3:48 AM
Just finished the freebie and am going right now to order the game itself. Really enjoying it. Feels like some of the games I started out on. Great job.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 24, 11 3:57 AM
Length, does it say 8 chapters (including the bonus play) ? I think that's what I saw in the SG, I went back too quickly to play the game to really remember. This is a definite buy for me. Lovely graphics, good story so far, didn't come across any mini game yet, but I'm a slow player and was still in the house when the demo ended. You don't have to rush to the SG which I like (over used it in Hallowed Legends and that spoiled the whole game which I didn't enjoy at all). Music isn't too intrusive, a very good game. As I said previously, I really hesitate to start a 3rd punch card. That would be my third CE this month and I'm definitely broke..........
Haven't played PuppetShow Lost Town yet as I had other games to finish, especially Hallowed which bores me...
for this one.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Mar 24, 11 4:17 AM
Oh Boy! Big Fish is really, really going to love me this month!!! When I purchase this CE today, it will give me 3 free game club credits from filling up 3 punch cards!!! I am starting to think me going back to work full-time is only going to go towards more games!!! After reading Casual Gran comments, like most of us, always trust her judgement....well, i am downloading now & will have to be patient until 545 pm to sit & play....work is going to go by sooooo slow!!! I hope everyone who plays this game enjoys!!!!

dfringer
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

[Post New]by dfringer on Mar 24, 11 4:19 AM
I played the beta of this over 6 months ago and have been waiting on pins and needles since then. I wasn't going to buy any more CEs- but I may have to make an exception. I actually did not purchase the last 3 CEs which took a lot of willpower!
I remember that this game was a creepy IHOG Adventure game. Lots of eerie visuals and sound effects.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 24, 11 4:22 AM
edmee1947 wrote:my god!i was waiting this game for months,and now,when i downloaded the demo it says:your trial version is expired!what hapenned?has anybody have those trouble?i wanted to buy but this let me very suspicious !now,i'm not sure this game will play well!

edmee, did you beta test this game? If so, that may be why it's showing you already played the demo. If not, contact Customer Service and they may be able to help.

Dowloading now!

ETA: I see from your later post that you DID beta this game, so that's why you don't get the free hour. Concat Customer Support and see if they can fix it for you. It happened to me a couple of times on CE games (it doesn't seem to happen on SEs, at least to me.)

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 4:28:16 AM PST

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Mar 24, 11 4:26 AM
Seems good so far but won't buy a CE ever.

Hazel53Xby
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Hazel53Xby on Mar 24, 11 4:34 AM
Thank you BFG. I think the greys and browns are in keeping with the storyline. This game got me hooked right from the beginning. The voice over at the start was in sync with the written words ( which in itself, is a miracle) . I had no technical problems and I play on an old computer and have a lot of problems playing a lot of the new games well, not playing them really. The story goes in predictable fashion but very understandable and enjoyable. It is nice to have a game that will play and not too complex sometimes. By that, I don't mean too easy as there is a choice of difficulty. Well done developers and BFG. This one is a right treat. lol
Hazel

Goop_10
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Goop_10 on Mar 24, 11 4:37 AM
I don't quite like the game, hate the cursor style. Don't quite like the background and the game play. Sorry, but no buy for me...

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Mar 24, 11 5:09 AM
When the game opens you can select Options for Music and Sound, Fullscreen and Widescreen Correction, and the level of difficulty you want to play at. I’m playing in Full screen and it does fill my 17” laptop screen. I chose Expert Mode because I like wandering around on my own, poking into everything. But even in Expert you can have a Tutorial if you want one. The videos and Cut scenes are nicely done, and the voice of the man driving the car is pleasant (don’t know if there are any other voices yet!)

Under Extras you access the Concept Art, Walkthrough and Screensavers (these are available in various screen resolutions, so take your choice!) Everything is available even in the Demo. Thank you for this one Devs!

There are 6 Chapters (chapter 6 being the Bonus Level) and a very quick click through Ch 6 shows 11 pages of various length) but I did not click through the whole WT as I don’t want to know what’s coming or when.

You have a 'flash-light' which is there all the time, to be used when you are plunged into darkness. You also have a journal to check (for notes and anything of interest you pick up along the way) a camera to take photo's and a Task List of current things to do.

The hint takes longer to recharge in expert mode, and if you over-click the cursor does the spinning loop the loops, but I only over-clicked once to see what it did! The H0G scenes are very good, and have a sort of 'vintage' look about them, Old and dusty, and as you are in a deserted old town, very apt.

I am not having any problems with lagging cursor, difficulty to click on things or problems with going from one scene to the next.

Well after 40 mins of play, I'm buying, and at the moment I’m still in the 2nd house after 'visiting' the first one (may even have to start anew with a another profile as I’m enjoying it so much)

Thank you Artogon (Developer) for this one. It’s brilliant.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 24, 11 5:25 AM
Tried it ... Loved it ... Bought it ... This is my type of game
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am playing on the Challenging Mode and have only had to use one hint so far to find an object and that was because I ran out of time looking for the last one before dashing off to the doctors.

More games like this please ...

Cherb

ETA ... typo

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 11:44:42 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Mar 24, 11 5:37 AM
Had to stop after 15 minutes because life goes on outside of games, unfortunately, but it's got me hooked. I'll be back to finish the demo ASAP and I'm sure this is a buy, although I may wait for the SE. I like the colors -- properly gray and a little spooky -- and the H/O scenes were a little gauzy, but not bad at all. Music is appropriate and story line was interesting.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 24, 11 5:44 AM
Hooray Artogon! First, the "Treasure Seekers" series, and now, this gem! I enjoyed about half the demo and did the purchase thing!

This game grabbed me right from the start--the action, voice-over intro is one of the best I've ever seen (and heard). The options menu doesn't have cursor choice, but the game one works smoothly. The overall color scheme is perfect for this type of game--not drab and dreary, but just the right touch of light and shadows and "mist," and grays and sepia tones--nothing to obscure the great graphics, though. Hidden-object scenes are well-designed; items are relatively easy to find, with a few challenges. The hint system re-ups quickly. I liked the idea of having a flashlight at my beck-and-call (in the lower right corner), rather than having to find one, then find batteries, yada-yada-yada. The soundtrack seems to fit perfectly with the mood of the game. And guess what? The integrated Strategy Guide is available in the demo! WTG, Artogon! You've obviously listened to us gamers!

Think this fills up my 3rd punchcard--March has been a busy ( and $) month! But this CE seems well worth it. Game on!

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 5:46:29 AM PST

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Mar 24, 11 5:50 AM
This one really grabs me. Thanks to Casualgran for her comments. Five

kathycot
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by kathycot on Mar 24, 11 5:58 AM
Not too sure. Played the trial and so far am on the fence about whether to buy now or wait for SE. Game reminds me of Phantasm alot! Can anyone tell me how long the game is? I would hate to shell out money for another short CE game like Puppet show.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 24, 11 6:01 AM
I'm kind of on the fence about this one, but I'll probably end up buying - to be honest, I have the patience and self-control of a 4-year-old.

First, the BRIGHT FLASH WARNING for those who are effected by them. There were a couple of medium flashes when "strange phenomenon" occurred, but there was one extremely bright flash when you complete a task in the child's room.

Second, the MOTION WARNING for those effected with motion sickness. It isn't 360 degree panning, but when you move left and right in some scenes it doesn't just go to the side, it moves like you are turning your head. I just closed my eyes briefly whenever I clicked an arrow. There were a couple of other spots where motion was a slight issue, but nothing serious.

I played the whole demo (relaxed mode), and I think it was an hour instead of a sample, but I can't swear to it (if forgot to check my watch.) It ended for me when I was entering numbers into the safe, so I was close to the end of Chapter 2. There are only 5 chapters plus the bonus chapter, so I am guessing the regular game will be less than 3 hours for me - that's kind of short even for an SE game lately, so check other threads to see if someone finished the game to get an accurate length. I'm usually "middle of the pack" on playing speed.

The Strategy Guide is accessible during the demo. I don't care for the SG, though, because it doesn't "hold your place" when you close it - it goes back to the index, so you have to remember what page you were on or what chapter. It also has scrolling pages - you turn the page, then on most of them you also have to scroll down to get all the text. Just make a new page or make the SG box bigger - there is room for it. The SG is pretty grainy, too, so it's hard to see the screenshots without zooming in on them.

For most Hidden Object scenes, you don't get the whole ist at once. As you find items, more are added to the list. There are some items in most scenes that require you to do something (open, move, put together) to get those items.

The hint recharges in less than a minute, about 45 seconds in Relaxed mode.

There is a click penalty, and it seems to be based on number of clicks, not how fast you click. I didn't count how many clicks to trigger it, but I stopped to grab something off the table, came back and misclicked once, and it triggered it, so that's why I think it isn't triggered by click speed.

(CONTINUED)

Go to: