AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Treasures of Mystery Island: The Ghost Ship

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Apr 2, 11 3:17 AM
I just finished the full trial hour.

Since I own both of the first two games, I would say comparatively this is even better than either of them.

Graphics are fascinating. Interactive elements are plentiful and seemed to require thinking. Hint system is very helpful in all cases.

In casual mode sometimes clicking on the sparkling area said a little too much for my taste. Such as instead of just saying "it's locked", it would say "I need a key". Maybe this is different on Expert mode.

I ran into one puzzle and I enjoyed it.

Here's a first for me, The Morphing objects were easier to spot than the Fragments. So, I agree with others that some FROG parts were too hard to spot.

The hint has a fast enough recharge time but seeing as I was dependent on it early on, it seemed too long anyway. It did appear to get easier to find things as I progressed. I'm not sure if that was true or if my eyes adjusted a little.I would have preferred not to need it so much but the rest of the game is so enjoyable that I will soldier through and play the whole game eventually.

It will definitely be added to my collection.

Fiobo
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Treasures of Mystery Island: The Ghost Ship

[Post New]by Fiobo on Apr 2, 11 3:18 AM
I'm in the minority again, it seems. I absolutely loved the first game of this series, but the follow ups are nowhere near as good for me.

patjoy
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,880 Posts

[Post New]by patjoy on Apr 2, 11 3:50 AM
Love it so far. Every scene seems to have a morphing object. Nice little extra touch. The hints keep you on the right track if you are lost. Lots of back and forth so bring extra sneekers with you. Lovely start to a Saturday. Thanks BF

Olliesgirl
Shark
Shark
12,073 Posts

[Post New]by Olliesgirl on Apr 2, 11 4:01 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:I like the game. It's not an easy one. The objects are indeed very small. I did't see any puzzles yet.

I read that BF on 4e april coming with the punchcards. So, today I buy The Fool and spend a code for this game.

Thanks for mentioning the punchcards I was wondering when they would be issuing the free game codes ..

Olliesgirl

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by lucyloket on Apr 2, 11 4:19 AM
I'm sure I've trialed this game before! As soon as it started on the dock and I had to find the propellor, I knew I'd played some of it .............. anyone know where? I'm curious and when you get to my age, these things start to frustrate you!!

Anyway, I've only played about 20 minutes so far. The morphing objects are a nice touch (I really like them). The FROGS can be tricky but it makes the game last longer!!

A definite buy for me - not sure I can wait for my punchcard, so the piggy bank might need to be raided!

4 out of 5 for me

tabsy
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by tabsy on Apr 2, 11 4:21 AM
After only 20 minutes this is a buy for me, I enjoy FROGS so that's a bonus. I love (removed by moderator) games I have found them to be good quality in graphics and game play and I feel that they really think about the players experience and enjoyment when developing. In the past they have made some pretty short games, but overall I didn't mind too much simply because they were so good.

Edited on 04/13/2011 at 5:05:21 PM PST

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 2, 11 4:21 AM
The Intro screen can be skipped, but I rarely do this, as I like to read and watch everything. There is no spoken dialogue (except for the ‘whispers’ that usually accompany a ghostly appearance or disappearance), but there is dialogue to be read.

Options: Usual sliders for Music, Sound effects and ambient audio.
Screen Resolution, Full Screen and Wide Screen options. (I couldn’t get it to fill my 17” monitor without messing with resolution and I don’t like doing that so I had black bands at either side.)
There is also a Cursor option (for game or Windows cursor (I didn’t change this as I like using the game cursor) Cursor changes to usual Hand, Eye, Arrows+Feet.
2 Modes of play Casual and Expert. I chose expert (no sparklies) and the option to skip the tutorial, which will pop up occasionally if you take too long in a scene without doing anything.

The Artwork is nice and clear (which is good, as the FR0G parts of the items you search for are very small) and then we have ‘Beyond’ objects. I just love looking for morphing objects! I didn’t notice whether they actually morphed or not, I put the cursor on certain items and it changed to a hand, when you pick it up it changes and you get a pop-in to say it’s a beyond item. (also tells you how many you have found) and they are everywhere, so click on everything! I don’t know if there’s a click penalty, but I didn’t come across one.

You have a ‘Find’ and a ‘Use’ inventory, and they are interchangeable by clicking on it. When a piece in the ‘Find’ part is flashing Red, this means you have to ‘Use’ something you have already found, to locate it, but the object you are looking for is not necessarily where you are at that particular moment.

I played for 40 mins without realising it and was just investigating the shack at the top of the cliff, and only stopped to come and post this review. I’m now going to check my purchase history (to see if I have the others in this series, can‘t remember!) and definitely use a punch card code on this one.

This is going to be a good, good week-end. Thank you Devs and BFG, that’s 3 good ones in 3 days.

Kel

eta: I do have both previous adventures, but think this is the best one.

Edited on 04/02/2011 at 4:31:20 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 2, 11 4:26 AM
Thank you, Kelvarda, for the detailed review - I just don't have time this morning - and so far, the only thing I don't like about this game is that I had to wait for it to download, so now I get to play it without a PlayWrite to write down the details!

We've had some great reviewers, but I still miss Goofyduck!

KelLew34
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by KelLew34 on Apr 2, 11 4:30 AM
I love fragmented hidden object games and morphing items. Looking for morphing objects makes me play a little slower. I have a bad habit of trying to rush through.

flowerchild44
Marlin
Marlin
8,348 Posts

[Post New]by flowerchild44 on Apr 2, 11 4:36 AM
yep, its a buy for me, loved it..just finished the trial and it really is a good one! Ok so the ironing can wait..

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Apr 2, 11 4:39 AM
OH YAY! I went to the developer's site the other day when I saw this game mentioned in CCC and I came this close to buying it there. THIS close, I still had the browser window open for when I finally made up my mind. BFG just saved me $3. I'm doing a happy dance (in my mind, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to type this.)

My review so I'm not completely off topic: I like it! Thanks Big Fish.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 2, 11 4:40 AM
I had a bit of trouble and ended up reinstalling and using a different profile. By the time I'd done all that, I was a bit fed up. I'm not crazy about FROGs anyway. And the story seemed a bit old. So it's a no buy for me.

PS flowerchild - love your name - groovy!!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 2, 11 4:45 AM
Rebeca Lily is quite correct. Some of these fragments are quite hard. I had to use 2 hints in the 45 minutes that I played! I feel that I have let myself down if I touch that D_m_ hint button! LOL! I don't know how far I got in the trial, as I have not looked at the WT but I am sure that it is a buy for me. Great reviews all, you look great Kel

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Apr 2, 11 4:45 AM
Wonderful game and another SE too bad this is my anniversary weekend, 26 years to a wonderful man, wonder if he will understand " But Hun I am stuck in this game" Ty BFG for a great weekend of games !!!

Tamlin55
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by Tamlin55 on Apr 2, 11 4:49 AM
At first my older eyes were a little put off by the tiny fragmented objects that I found difficult to find in some of the scenes. But as I continued to play, I adjusted to the game play. The hints are very helpful, and don't seem to penalize you. I like that you have to search different areas and use your brain a bit more than the average game as to where you should use the objects you find. The storyline is suitably creepy and intriguing, and the graphics and the music are good. This is something out of the common way -- I do believe I will buy this one. My weekend is looking up!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 2, 11 4:57 AM
cll026497 wrote:Wonderful game and another SE too bad this is my anniversary weekend, 26 years to a wonderful man, wonder if he will understand " But Hun I am stuck in this game" Ty BFG for a great weekend of games !!!

Congratulations on your 26th. Anniversary.
Did you know that original pictures is one of the things suggested for this anniversary? Well that could be original graphics in a game?? Also, jade is suggested, maybe you could send your DH out to find you a jade object and it may take him all day
Enjoy this game and have a lovely day.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 2, 11 5:09 AM
flowerchild44 wrote:yep, its a buy for me, loved it..just finished the trial and it really is a good one! Ok so the ironing can wait..

Ironing? There have been so many good games lately that I haven't gotten as far as doing the laundry, much less amass an ironing basket!!

The objects are tiny, but I found that by about the 6th screen that I was able to find them all without using a hint. So many times in FROGs the objects stick out so much that the game is easy - just click on any old thing that looks out of place. This one, you don't have any choice but to take your time and look - and it is so, so satisfying to find that last object without hitting the hint button.

I'm looking forward to many hours of enjoyment from this game - but later, I have too much to do this morning.

And don't forget - today is International Pillow Fight Day! Grab your (least favorite) soft pillow, and do an online search for a public pillow fight near you!!

Edited for typos. It's so hard to type with fins.

Edited on 04/02/2011 at 5:12:08 AM PST

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Apr 2, 11 5:24 AM
Kebbielebbie wrote:

(Can we borrow the Flux Family Magnifying Glass please?).

This has always been one of my wishes to developers. One of the reasons I love the Flux series is that well-designed magnifier. The other reason is I love FROGs. Which brings me back to this offering.

For me, the Treasures of Mystery Island series is great for all the reasons mentioned here. The graphics are bright and clear, the humor subtle, and overall gameplay like salted peanuts - you keep wanting a little more. I agree that the objects here can be small and are smaller than I remember for the last two, but anyone who enjoys this series or likes FROGs should definitely not be scared away.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Apr 2, 11 5:45 AM
Played the whole demo and was sorry when it ended. Good graphics, humour, as Cherb (was it Cherb ?) said, didn't really listened to the music too busy looking for morphing objects. I do agree, most of the H0 are pretty small. Already used one pair of sneakers ( Hi Goofy, we're all with you) and I guess it will not be the last one. Can't wait for my pc credits to arrive (not before the 4th of April). 2 days and 2 good games, great.
Didn't know there were others, off to download them.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Apr 2, 11 5:53 AM
peglegann wrote:Rebeca Lily is quite correct. Some of these fragments are quite hard. I had to use 2 hints in the 45 minutes that I played! I feel that I have let myself down if I touch that D_m_ hint button! LOL! I don't know how far I got in the trial, as I have not looked at the WT but I am sure that it is a buy for me. Great reviews all, you look great Kel

I agree on having to use the hint button. Keep telling myself...just look a little more, you'll find it. It feels like I'm cheating Oops guess I am. I was trying to free the oar from the boxes and according to the WT I have a long way to go so it looks like a nice long game...but alas...have house to clean and groceries to get out of way before I can sit here with a clear conscience and play my afternoon away. Anyone have a maid I can borrow? Really enjoying this game

Edited on 04/02/2011 at 5:54:46 AM PST

Go to: