Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Wild West Story: The Beginning

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Apr 4, 11 7:22 AM
mamacarole629 wrote:I am really undecided about this one. I like the concept of **** and M3 but this one is lacking something. The path appears to be the same color as the green tile and also the path is hard to see once cleared. What do you clear to get 100%? It can't be the path because the cowgirl (which you can barely see) couldn't move if the path wasn't clear??? Will wait on other reviews.

I had no trouble getting 100% or seeing the green path. Maybe if you adjust your monitor brightness, or adjust your gamma or contrast (start, control panel, performance, video card options) while your playing to see better? It helps me when I play hard to see games. To get 100% you need to clear all the blocks not just the ones on the path.. you may have to use the items that pop up too like dynamite, I did.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Apr 4, 11 7:41 AM
MEnr5 wrote:WELCOME BACK, Poodlebear[/b]; have missed reading your reviews.
MEnr5

GrandWeeze wrote:
I second that!!
Excited to try this game after reading the reviews (errands to run this morning, so I must wait til later ) It sounds like my kind of match 3 - moving along a path like Tibet, Alladin, and the Hidden Depths series. Plus Hidden Object scenes!
I have a feeling I know wherre my punch card credit is going.
OK, I have totally messed up this quote thing. I learn it someday!!

I third it! Wow.. tired eyes this AM Our Poodlebear is back! I love your reviews and missed them so much! Now if only GoofyDuck would reappear too.

GrandWeeze thank you so much for the list of M3s with path boards I love them and will give the ones you listed a try!

For quotes all you need to do is type your reply after the [ /quote ] meaning "end of quote" and it will be separate from your response.

The persons name you want to quote always goes first in the brackets like this [ quote = Namehere ], then the end quote symbol

Sometimes I have to edit multiple quotes like in this post by adding
"end quote" brackets after each persons post ends.

Hope that helps some!
*to make it work no spaces in the quote brackets. I has to put them in to show you how they look*

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 7:42:38 AM PST

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Apr 4, 11 7:46 AM
I like it. At first my back went up at the extreme creative license taken with Calamity Jane's story, but as I've stated elsewhere-fiction involves a willing suspension of disbelief and because the game is so entertaining I was willing to do so. The game concept is certainly not original-There's Cave Quest and The Lamp of Aladdin ( I think it was called) as well as several others. The intro music was nowhere close to western in theme, but I believe it improved once the game started. I played in relaxed mode. I'm not sure what clearing 100% of the board would have netted me as at best I managed 93%. I chose not to pursue it as I wanted to get through as much of the demo as possible. One of the things I really liked was that you could swap tokens in the spot Calamity was standing. I also found it amusing that if you got a stick of dynamite you could explode it and she was fine-one can only wish. I'll buy it eventually.

Just an FYI for those fishies impatient to get their credits-it's only 9:45 am here in Texas so it's only 7:45 am in Big Fish time. Be a little more patient-we'll get our credits soon. Have a great day'yall.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Apr 4, 11 8:09 AM
WiccanWoman530 wrote: Yes Yes Yes! I am in heaven! This is Cave Quest meets Golden Trails/Rangy Lil'!!!

I am crazy in with Cave Quest (praying the Developers don't really change the sequel by taking out all monsters/battle boards as they said they are) and have gone through soooo many M3s looking for a game like it! Cuz sadly there were none! I hope this is a trend and the new style of M3's because its sooooooooo fun.

I love that this game also has untimed option, path boards, chains, ice, items, H0 scenes, story etc etc. I was just taking about CQ yesterday.. then BAM.. We get this gem. Not childish to me.. not as good as CQ mind you but just as fun!

This month is like all our wishes are coming true!

I love this game too... after only a few minutes play I am sold and am now just torn to get it NOW or wait for PC credits.

If you like M3s with adventure and HOGs you will love this! Again today I hope we see a lot of constructive reviews, no "boring sucks lame" posts please. I think games like this need to be molded a tiny bit, offer hard/easy modes and I would love to see more battle boards to "shoot down" the big guys! They definitely need supportive helpful feedback if we want to see more like Cave Quest and this game!

5 and 5 for me will be buying soon!
I did a beta for a game called "Robin's Island Adventure that is similar to Cave Quest and this game so be on the lookout for it.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Apr 4, 11 8:17 AM
I've demo the game (one hour.) It was fun to play but I'm not going to buy it though. The match 3 concept kind of remind me of Cave Quest. Only difference that this game has FROG and HOG in it.

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Apr 4, 11 10:06 AM
Like others have said, this game reminds me of Cave Quest because of the multiple things you can do, but even more so of The Lamp of Aladdin. Like Aladdin you are clearing a path, but in Wild West you are also working toward clearing the darker squares. It is difficult not only to see Jane's path but also see the darker squares sometimes. I have yet to clear 100% although I did reach 97% once. It's not necessary to get 100% to advance Jane, but you score higher and get more gold as you clear more squares.

The thing you have to remember is to clear dark squares sometimes before you even try to advance Jane because once you have moved passed an area you can't go back. So you have to balance your tile swapping with both goals in mind. That's when the dynamite and the power-ups can come in handy. Also, when Coyote Cub shoots his arrow, I think he is hitting the darker squares to help you with that task.

The reason why the board moves at the beginning is so you can see the layout and get a general idea of where you're going. I think it was in Aladdin (but don't quote me) that there was a small map that showed you your goal and your current progress. That was very helpful because those game boards were all over the place.

I think this game has promise for me but I'll probably wait to use a credit or punch card to get it.

Oops. Forgot to mention that I had to switch to system cursor because custom cursor was too sluggish. Also, if you leave the sound on high enough, there is a different sound when you match the darker squares so you know when you're accomplishing that.

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 10:35:47 AM PST

[Post New]by fishlvr on Apr 4, 11 11:04 AM
Thank you all for your reviews, can't wait to give this one a try!

I mainly came on to welcome back Poodlebear--you've been missed, and I hope this is a fresh start of reviewing games for you. While others have stepped up and done a great job, I have still missed you!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 4, 11 11:18 AM
Thought I would give it a try but it is an easy Match game and thought maybe because of the Hidden object factor it would be better than it was. Younger generation will lilke this but that's not me.

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 11:19:15 AM PST

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Apr 4, 11 11:42 AM
MEnr56 wrote:
Staril wrote:The only negative so far with the game, as far as I can see, is that brat with the bow. I'm sitting patiently building up a formation of pieces to clear something and he'll suddenly let fly and randomly smash things ... it has made for some interesting and educational words
Apart from the brat ... the game is an enjoyable match 3 ... I'm playing relaxed mode as always. The H0 scenes are rather cartoony but actually clear enough to find the items quickly. I did enjoy the FROG one ... as I always do ... and using the items when complete was a nice touch.
I'm waiting for my credit email to arrive and then will buy this one. I'd have bought it already but I know those codes will be here soon

Educational words, eh? I might know a few of them Thank you for your input and am downloading now; hopefully, I won't need to use any of those "educational words" myself.

MEnr56

Hi all, Thanks for the reviews and OH! how I agree with Staril about that awful little 'injun' firing arrows when you least expect! Even more annoying was the miserable little cowboy who spent all his time walking up and down telling us what needed to be done but contributing no help what so ever. I felt that if I'd had a cartoon gun I would have shot him right between the eyes! THEN a miniature saloon Belle turned up to have a moan! What irritating inhabitants these Wild Westerner are! Loved the 'busty' heroin though, she even walked with 'attitude'.
Am I taking this too seriously? Nah! All good fun and quite an enjoyable (and possibly compulsive/addictive) game. I felt disappointed when my time was up and only used 'educational' words then.
Love to all, Pat_ric_ia x

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Apr 4, 11 12:05 PM
I usually check the reviews and watch the video before deciding whether to download the trial and I have to say that after reading the reviews, this sounds like a game I might like. Match 3 games aren't my favorite genure but I do like some as long as there is an untimed mode, which this one apparently has. Thanks for the great reviews and, Poodlebear, it's great to see you!! I've always liked your reviews.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Apr 4, 11 12:07 PM
Am downloading now will comment later but Welcome Back Poodlebear - glad to see you back here in the pond!

Lean

Teach496
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by Teach496 on Apr 4, 11 12:27 PM
I would like to add my welcome back to Poodlebear. You have been missed and warm welcome back to your pond!

Teach496
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

I would like to add my welcome back to Poodlebear. You have been missed and warm welcome back to your pond!

Teach496
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 4, 11 2:00 PM
I like this game and will buy it this week (when the punchcodes arrives

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 4, 11 2:04 PM
while this game is uninstalling...

let me say that i have never been so frustrated with a match 3 game in my life!

WTF! does little squanto have to pop up and blast away at my board every few seconds?? especially when i've got a good run going?? especially when i'm trying to clear the rocks away from the path?? working on a percentage over 90, buck-O! outta my game - go get your own!

maybe he's trying to be helpful, but i'm not seeing it that way... i'm seeing it as i would like to play a game and someone else keeps popping in and stealing my fun...

maybe i'm just feeling cranky, but i didn't like the little townspeople, either... as soon as i got something done, they were after me to build the next thing... like i didn't know what was going on - ???

anyway... just not a happy, fun-loving kinda game that makes you chuckle and smile... more like the kinda game that makes you wanna smack that kid with the bow and arrow...

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Apr 4, 11 2:52 PM
I loved the game, but I wish - WISH! - they could have chosen more contrasting colours between the ordinary background tiles and those I need to blast to reach 100 % They both look brownish/greenish to me, and the only difference I (sometimes) can tell, is a small line along the edges of the tiles I'm supposed to smash. Browngreenish on greenbrownish?? Why, oh WHY not have contrasting colours?? My poor eyes will burst!!

Apart from that, the game is great and I'm gonna buy it... loved how it resembled Cave Quest.

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 2:56:08 PM PST

[Post New]by antannie on Apr 4, 11 3:03 PM
I do think that this would be a fair game if you could "see" the young girl. She is pretty transparent. Not a buy for me

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 4, 11 3:56 PM
Nice graphics and fast gameplay on colorful boards. A little **** and a little TM thrown in. What's not to like? I got bored. I don't really like building a town and the HOs were very simple. Plus, the 3 or 4 hOs I played during the hour were all in the same scene - no variety. I suspect there will be other scenes as you progress. What bothered me the most was that Jane caused me a visual problem. Even though she faded as you played I could still see too much of her and sometimes had a hard time seeing the matches I needed to make. The kid's "Help" was more annoying than helpful

It is not a bad game, very pretty to see, in fact, but for the reasons stated I passed. BTW, I just finished the Cave game which was much more enjoying for me which did have an impact on my enjoyment of this game.

Thanks Cherb for the Tip about getting 100%!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 4, 11 5:10 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. No real instruction. Bought the mine and the general store, but then what? Not what I usually like to play at all. Pass for me.

Go to: