jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Art of Murder: Deadly Secrets

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 5, 11 2:43 AM

I co-sign everything you said yourshanny.

Dragonella
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Dragonella on Apr 5, 11 2:58 AM
What do you do with the bullet shells?

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 5, 11 2:59 AM
jkuci wrote:
I co-sign everything you said yourshanny.

Oh hi jkuci! nice to meet you if we haven't bumped into each other in the pond already.

You can just call me "Shanny" that's what everyone else does It's shorter and easier and stuff.

Who knows maybe I will get this game if it's DD but, then again...maybe not with that timer and the stuff reappearing if you didn't do it in time. Man, that really made it not fun. Bummer.

Happy gaming, anyway!

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Apr 5, 11 3:03 AM
It must be me, but the game will not start. I got my profile in and nothing. None of the buttons will let me start the game.
BUT that's alright because after reading most of the forums I'm not interested in it any more. Any one else having this problem? I'm just going to uninstall it and play another game I have yet to finish.
Happy day everyone!

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Apr 5, 11 3:13 AM
Wow the dev's really didn't care much about this game when they made it.
The first 3 were good and I bought them.
This one doesn't even compare. What a shame.

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Apr 5, 11 3:18 AM
Bought it without trying demo, ok till I got to "spot the difference" TIMED!! went through timer 3 times and still can't find 4 objects, Blog is no help either, just tells you to find 12 differences, if i could find them, why look at the blog!!! Come on BF, as it can't be skipped, can we have a bit more help here? PLEASE???

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Apr 5, 11 3:25 AM
I've finally played the demo. It is not what I loved about the game I brought when I first joined. It seems to have been produced by the same developer judging by the brillant cutsences, but why did they change what was so liked about their games to begin with?
I haven't seen the reviews for the first three games, I brought those before I'd look at the forums, but would it be that too many people complained that the adventure type games were too hard since most adventure games here get such a bad rap due to most players here being here for HOGs and TMs so aren't used to how adventure games work. Maybe they thought they'd do something to cater for those HOG lovers out there? ~shrugs~
Regardless, in my whole 20 mins of demo, it doesn't work for this game, we are all so used to it being one type of game only to have it suddenly change, not on the second or third of the series, but the forth. A sudden change after three great games just doesn't sit well.
Now thinking of the game as a typical HOG, which it is, no glossing over that fact, with a few other puzzles thrown in to relieve the boredom. And yes, boredom, I haven't been as bored in a game for a long time. There are way too many HOGs in it for my liking, and some of those are literally pixel hunts. For a typical HOG the art is still brilliant, as it should be with those developers, however the cursor is too slow, and we cannot change it which would make it a tad faster. I don't want to give it a bad review but I cannot help but do so, it is not Art of Murder, it is Art of Boredom and that's a sad but very true fact.
For those that hated the original three because they were adventure games, they might just love this one due to the drastic changes, who knows. As a pure HOG, it really isn't that bad in the grand scheme if things, just a sorry let down to those of us that loved the original.
I won't spend money on it, I might waste a credit or a punch card thing on it if I'm desperate for a game. Might, just to have the whole set.

As for the bullet, Dragonella, just put it against the right ends of the shells. There are only six to choose from, you can't go wrong.

Has anyone actually brought it, or are we all rather disappointed with it?

Edith9
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by Edith9 on Apr 5, 11 3:39 AM
Hi fishies, thanks for quick reviews. I'm quite disappoited that this game looks like another HOG (nothing against them I like HOGs and I often buy them) but Art of murder games are my faves in adventure genre and now we talking about HOG scenes, spot the difference and so on. I might try demo if it's available, but so far it seems like NO BUY for me, I would like to add that I hope another Art of Murder will return to classic style.

[Post New]by vintage8 on Apr 5, 11 3:54 AM
downloaded demo did not know how to put combination in. my dial was swinging wildly instead of staying in place. never did get to spot the difference and the walkthru did not explain how to put code on the safe.

Boomer47
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Boomer47 on Apr 5, 11 4:16 AM
Good Morning,

Yes, the developer is definitely going to Casual HOG/Adventure games now. This game was the disappointed talk of the adventure games boards late last year.

Many of us enjoyed the earlier games and were disappointed when they said they were changing direction in the series.

I love my Casual Adventure/HOGs and I also love my LFile Games but it is sort of sad to see a good Adventure series turn into a disappointing HOG.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 5, 11 4:42 AM
I think this game compares to the Nancy Drew Dossier games - not the usual Adventure style for the Art of Murder games, but just a HOG. Personally, I prefer HOGs. I bought the last Art of Murder and it is stil sitting on my desktop, unfinished,

For those who think there is no sound at all, turn up the volume in Options. There is great sound, but unlike the usual problem we have with the sound turned up to maximum when we open the game (big problem for me, since I usualy download at 3:00 in the morning, and the kids are sleeping) this one has the sound turned way down, so you have to turn it up to hear anything. But there are no voiceovers, so that was disappointing.

For those that don't know what to do with the bullet SPOILER ALERT (highlight to read) you just need to match it with one of the casings.
I like this game as a HOG, and I will be buying it with a game credit. I will certainly finish this one! I've purchased and played the other Art of Murder all the way through and enjoyed it, but I need bigger blocks of time to really get into Adventure games (you just can't play them in bits and pieces) so I haven't been able to devote the time needed to get everything out of The Art of Murder Cards of Destiny.

If you love the Art of Murder, but only like it because it is an Adventure, you will probably hate this game. But if you love the series and just want a bit more, but a bit different, give this a try. I enjoyed the ND Dossier HOG as much as I love the regular NDs, but I loved it as a HOG, not as a traditional Nancy Drew adventure. I'm sure I'll feel the same about this Art of Murder HOG.

I really doubt that the dev is changing the series over to HOG. I think this is just a "filler" until the next Adventure-style game in the series comes out, especially since the series has a huge fan base already.

So try it, you might like it! Just don't expect pure Adventure, it is a HOG.

Edited on 04/05/2011 at 4:45:58 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Apr 5, 11 4:47 AM
Thought it strange this game was a soft release, in view of the others in the series being so good. Then on playing the trial hour, realised it was nothing like the other Art of Murder games. Took me 10 minutes to figure out how to put my profile in. Once done, I was hoping for an option of easy or advanced. Not having been given one I just hoped there wouldn't be sparkles everywhere....but there were more than an average fireworks display.
Too much chit chat as well.
After ten mins of play I exited.
Not a buy for me. And in view of the recent fab ihogs, this was a video nasty :-))

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 5, 11 5:09 AM
I've got mixed emotions about this one. I was surprised to see that it was a soft release, but even more surprised to see that it wasn't an LFA, but a HOG with a demo. Guess the developers are testing the HOG waters (why spend lots of time and creating a complex LFA when you can pump out a small HOG and probably still turn a tidy profit?).

The intro is pretty well done; the options menu leaves something to be desired--no cursor choice, and at what I consider a "normal" setting, the sounds are just about indistinguishable. Gotta move the sliders right--the sounds and music are worth hearing, if that's your preference. The subtitled dialogue (no voice acting--too bad) drags on (especially with the "antique lady") and the font is very small. Graphics are kinda grainy, but colorful (at least as befits a murder mystery), and the hidden-object scenes pose a fair challenge. Hints have to be earned--start with ONE measly hint, then find miniscule pocket watches here and there to up the count.

Three mini-games so far--match the bullet casing, assemble the safe combination note, and open the safe. Haven't yet seen the "timed STD"--those are TWO no-no's in my book!

Still on the fence about this one--probably use a credit were it not for the timed thingy. Oh well, I've got a bit of the demo to go--I'm leaning towards "Yes."

P.S. Just encountered the "timed STD"--it makes "The Hidden Object Show" look like a cakewalk! Black-and-white vs. color, teeny-tiny-objects, and an ill-begotten hourglass, with no Skip!! I just fell off the "fence" on the "No Way" side!

Edited on 04/05/2011 at 12:22:30 PM PST

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Apr 5, 11 5:37 AM
I don't know whether or not I would have bought this game. I couldn't get past the choose profile page. I typed in my name and no matter which button I clicked, nothing happened. When I clicked back and start game it put me into the choose profile page again. Oh well from the other reviews I guess I'm not missing anything.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Apr 5, 11 5:39 AM
Very disappointing, no buy for me. I have the others and this doesn't compare. Why do the devs think it is clever to make things so tiny and/or dark that you can't find them? Games are supposed to be entertaining not frustrating!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 5, 11 5:57 AM
@Sinshack:

I guiltily admit to LOVING the Nancy Drew Dossier series of games (all two of them!) and I wish they would make a few more...

shadowfax

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 5, 11 6:13 AM
UPDATE after finishing the game - very, very short, less than 2 hours. It was good, but it ended abruptly. I would be very upset if I hadn't been using a free punchcard credit.

For those that hate STDs (Spot the Difference) there is only the one early on. I had so much trouble with that one that I saved up my hints in case I ran into another, and it turned out (thankfully) that it was the only one in the game.

For those that hate tiny objects, they get smaller later in the game - I would have given up and used more hints, but I was afraid of running into another STD.

There is a slight amount of interaction, where you need to figure out what to do with something in your inventory. There were many slots in inventory, but I never had more than 3 or 4 items in it, so I got the impression that the game had been planned to have many more elements, but was cut short. The abrupt ending to the game enhanced that impression.

One minute you are playing the game, then there is a very good cutscene and you are done. That's it. Finished. Kaput.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 5, 11 6:27 AM
Sinshack, thanks for the review on the entire game. If it comes to DD maybe...just maybe I will get it if it is a HOG drought but I am saving my punch card coupons for some games that I think are funner out there this month.

Dang, I'm so bummed. I really like the Art of Murder series.

Edited on 04/05/2011 at 6:28:25 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Apr 5, 11 6:38 AM
It looks like this game lived down to expectations.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/142181.page

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 5, 11 6:46 AM
Hi, Mr Russ! I read your thread! Just as I thought! They did the HOG for some quick cheap and did it poorly too, thinking they could turn some cash, but they don't quite know the "art of the HOG", LOL!

Go to: