peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Gravely Silent: House of Deadlock Collector's Edition

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 7, 11 4:21 AM
The premise of this game is excellent! Completely let down by the H0 scenes. Very disappointed in the junkpile appearance and the smallness of some items.
This is the first game for a long time that the widescreen option works for me.
I am playing in hard mode and I am finding the working of the game pretty easy.
The usual story about trying to save someone. The puzzles are different but again reasonably easy. All in all a good game but not as good as the SE, Treasures of Mystery Island, the Ghost Ship.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Gravely Silent: House of Deadlock Collector's Edition

[Post New]by pmh5701 on Apr 7, 11 4:25 AM
Game looks really great, but after 3 minutes of play, it said "times up" and kicked me out. Never got a chance to even get into the plot. What happened?

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Apr 7, 11 4:27 AM
As others have already said there are all manner of creepy things, spiders, snakes, worms etc. in abundance and this includes interaction. You can't avoid looking straight at them for stretches of time while playing this game. There was far too much of this for me. I don't enjoy this. It's not my idea of fun. It doesn't look like there will be any let up further in the game with this either.

Story although not original, was interesting enough. The graphics were nice. The puzzles so far were presented differently and interesting. One kind I have never seen before was somewhat intriguing. The H0 scenes were far too junk pile for me personally, though.

I had some cursor delayed response too.

The trial hour didn't grab me enough to put up with those issues so, I will pass on this one.

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Apr 7, 11 4:28 AM
GREAT REVIEWS EVERYFISH!! WOOHOO, MY FAVORITE TYPE OF GAME!! ill be checkin it out later! thanks!!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 7, 11 4:29 AM
Just to add.
When will the Dev's STOP giving a penalty for mis clicking? This one is especially annoying to me! Screen appears to crack!
I did not mis click more than 3 times before this happened.
How does a penalty add to the gameplay? Except to make me cross! LOL!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 7, 11 4:31 AM
pmh5701 wrote:Game looks really great, but after 3 minutes of play, it said "times up" and kicked me out. Never got a chance to even get into the plot. What happened?

Did you beta the game or demo it elsewhere? If not, use the green envelope on the right and send a report to CS

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 7, 11 4:39 AM
OK, let's see--yesterday's TGT goody was a soothing, colorful, educational HOG tour of China; today's is a moody, broody, rather dark, SPIDER-filled spooky IHOG from Vogat. Two days, two winners, but SO different!

The premise--younger sister's been killed and you're off to investigate the circumstances. Once again, a heroine, not a hero--guess developers think that us guys just don't have the moxie for that kind of work! Great intro, and great Options menu (three sound sliders AND cursor choice--game one was smooth! I don't have a wide-screen monitor, so I can't comment on that.). To me, the graphics were a little fuzzy, but still above average; hidden objects were mostly "hidden," not "buried" or "black-on-black." There's some item interaction in these scenes, too--good fun. Good re-upping hint system, and GUESS WHAT? The strategy guide is available in the demo! Wahoo! There's no voice acting (minor disappointment), but the sub-titled dialogue is to-the-point and fits the storyline (no rambling on and on). One rather glaring drawback--a misclick "penalty box" that's ugly--it detracts from the game--NO THANK YOU, developers!

I suspect with six chapters that this will give us several hours of enjoyment; now, if we can only convince to let us use Game Club credits and/or Punchcard codes for CEs, I'd be one really happy camper!

Edited on 04/07/2011 at 4:43:46 AM PST

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Apr 7, 11 4:46 AM
I'm in the minority with this game. I found it clumsy and not as good as other CE games (and I have almost every one).

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 7, 11 4:57 AM
I like the game - go Vogat!

My main pet peeve is present in this game though: Sparkles on hard mode - I wish the devs would knock it off with that!! However, even though I am not even through the demo time yet, the game has shown me enough cleverness to trump the dreaded sparkles and I am enjoying it!!

The HOG scenes have been to my liking and, as has been pointed out, there are two or more interactive objects in each HOG scene and I love those, an added fun bonus when the devs do that. So far the mini games are quite easy but that is okay once in a while and perhaps they will get more difficult as the game moves forward - either way, this game certainly looks like a keeper so far.

Spiders don't bother me and there are spiders galore here!!

So far I am really enjoying this "HOG free month of April". LOL

Happy gaming everybody!!

[Post New]by Prairie_Belle on Apr 7, 11 5:10 AM
I'm having trouble with screen resolution. The message I get is "Custom text size (DPI) must be lower or equal 125%."
I set to 1680x1050 still didn't open. I tried every resolution and got the same message.
HELP!!!

CasualGran wrote:Comment based on playing the entire demo

The game opened windowed on my 1680 x 1050 screen, but by unchecking the Widescreen option in the optionsmenu my screen was filled. Game is fit for LEFT HAND cursor.
You can choose to have your own systemcursor and there are 2 modes, easy or challenging, but BOTH modes have the sparkles.
For some fishies it's good to know that you will encounter SPIDERS. Not just to see somewhere in the screens, but at one point I had to interact with one (won't say more, would be spoiling).
The story is intriguing. It reminded me a lot of Return To Ravenhearst, as does the entire atmosphere ot this game, but maybe that's just my impression.
The Hint button refills fast, even in challenging mode, overclicking cracks up your screen with branches, but that too doesn't take much time. It's kind of an easy game and that goes for the puzzles too. Think most can solve them without too much head-scratching.
The Hidden Objects screens aren't too junkpiley, but the objects are hidden cleverly and sometimes difficult to see in darker spots. In each Hidden Object screen a couple of objects need some interaction, always a nice break within the searching.
Of course there's a Strategy Guide, and the good thing is that it's accessible from the demo. I don't know if it keeps track of your progress tho, I didn't use it as yet.

Good game. 4 to me. But by all means, try before you spend the CE price for it.

Edited on 04/07/2011 at 5:15:11 AM PST

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Apr 7, 11 5:21 AM
Prairie_Belle wrote:I'm having trouble with screen resolution. The message I get is "Custom text size (DPI) must be lower or equal 125%."
I set to 1680x1050 still didn't open. I tried every resolution and got the same message.
HELP!!!

The same thing happened to me.

What this means is the size of the writing needs to be changed, not the screen resolution. If you go into display settings look for some link or tab saying something about changing text size or setting custom text size and adjust it there.

You will probably need to log out and back in again before it changes the size of the writing. Then you can open the game.

Edited on 04/07/2011 at 5:22:31 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 7, 11 5:25 AM
I was surprised to see so many reviews already but I will give my impression anyway. I just finished the demo and really like the game even if it does seem to remind me of several others I have played. The story is interesting and graphics are well done.
The game has 2 modes as usual and that's good. I usually try challenge mode first but for some reason went casual and that was tough enough.
There are no voice overs but not a lot of reading either so that's a plus. In casual there are sparkles to lead your way but not an obnoxious amount. You do have a task bar that you mouse over to find your objective although it is sometimes blank and you have to find your own way.
This to me, is a fast paced game with a nice break for Hidden Objects. They are a bit on the difficult side for me but the hint recharges quickly They also have some interactive items that I always like. I don't know if there is a click penalty.
Unlike the Hidden Object scenes the mini games,that I got to play, are a bit on the easy side. Makes a good balance I guess.
The music is not annoying. After a few minutes I didn't know it was there even though I was using head phones so I don't wake the house.
The strategy guide is usable even in the demo. Major plus! I checked it out and it is very easy to use.
All in all I would say on a scale from 1 to 10 it's an 9. I only say eight because it almost makes me feel like I have played it before.

Even though I would really like to continue this game right now I have promised myself no more CE's. I will wait for SE.

If you haven't tried the demo yet do it now. It is a great game!

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Apr 7, 11 5:30 AM
Love it! I was so disappointed when my trial was up. Even though I had decided to wait for the SE, when my trial ended I went and bought it immediately. Spooky and creepy, which I love.

patjoy
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,880 Posts

[Post New]by patjoy on Apr 7, 11 6:05 AM
Loving the game so far. Objects are clear and love the interaction with some of them. My kind of game. I find the rats creepier than the spiders, but that's just me Young wife dead. Mysterious man, what are his secrets? Stay with it and you will find out. I'm going back to see what he is up to. Oh, comment earlier about the cat is true. Poor thing is truly unlovely.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Apr 7, 11 6:05 AM
Same thing here, LoveDemGames...I promised myself I would not buy another CE for a while but dang it, this game is really fun . So much for good resolutions. Loved the puzzle above the fireplace. Though I've never let creepy things get to me in a game, that big spider was really creepy and actually had me watching it to make sure it didin't move off that web... And, yes, now I'm off to buy. darn it, but loved it and don't want to wait for it to come out as an SE

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Apr 7, 11 6:14 AM
I just finished the demo and I loved the game, this is going to be a keeper for me, graphics was great so was the sounds, I agree with some fishes the objects was a little small other then that said I will give it

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Apr 7, 11 6:52 AM
Great game BF. This one lasted me 5 and half hours to go through on casual play. Enjoyed this game alot. I bought and downloaded without trial, the CE's are always good.

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by lucyloket on Apr 7, 11 6:55 AM
I've played the demo and felt as thought I'd been playing longer than I had!
Very similar storyline to other games. Again, wonderful artwork and HidObj scenes not impossible - I liked the inclusion of some interaction needed to 'make' the object you needed e.g lighting a sparkler to find a lit sparkler!

I know a lot of fishies think a CE is worth extra for the strategy guides but IMHO, these games are only 5 hrs long at most and a walkthrough is provided for free on the site within a day or two 99% of the time (at least for SEs anyway), so I will continue to be one of the 'waiters' until I have twice the game play for twice the cost.
It's all good fun, either way

Happy gaming everyone

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Apr 7, 11 7:02 AM
lucyloket wrote:I've played the demo and felt as thought I'd been playing longer than I had!
Very similar storyline to other games. Again, wonderful artwork and HidObj scenes not impossible - I liked the inclusion of some interaction needed to 'make' the object you needed e.g lighting a sparkler to find a lit sparkler!

I know a lot of fishies think a CE is worth extra for the strategy guides but IMHO, these games are only 5 hrs long at most and a walkthrough is provided for free on the site within a day or two 99% of the time (at least for SEs anyway), so I will continue to be one of the 'waiters' until I have twice the game play for twice the cost.
It's all good fun, either way

Happy gaming everyone
IMHO you are right,I'm also a "waiter" just can't justify the extra and mostly can't afford it.Don't know about you but I'm starting to feel a bit of a second-class gamer though,as though I'm not a serious player because I don't buy the Collector Edition's.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Apr 7, 11 7:09 AM
Other people have made really great reviews, but I thought it worth stressing that the snakes and the spiders are pervasive and quite creepy in this game. I also had a problem with the drmactivator (or whatever it is called), which kicked me out of the game when I hit the first wife's bedroom. Other than that, it seems like another good Vogat game, and, judging from the strategy guide, the length seems good on this one.

Go to: