Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Samhain

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Apr 9, 11 11:42 PM
Ahhh ok never play CE's so wouldn't know THANKS for the update!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Apr 10, 11 12:24 AM
Well I don't regret getting this game although I only paid $3 since I used one of my Groupon credits. It's probably more worth it at the DD price. The full screen issue is VERY annoying. I did finally find a way to work around it but in order to get it to play full screen I had to completely exit out of the game, manually change my resolution, then re-enter the game. Dont like that the devs are making me do their job for them. The story is good and it's my fave subject but it could have been so much better... seems really shallow for such a deep and rich subject. It feels like they put in enough to fit the theme but not enough to create an engrossing storyline. Could have even made this with an educational bend and they didn't bother. This "lazy man's" theme is continued throughout the game play as well. For some reason only some of the puzzles are skippable... others you have to finish (usually the most annoying of them too.) There are LOTS of lazy programming and illogical solutions as well. For example: (mild spoiler so highlight to read) WHY do we have to leave a FIRE to walk back several screens to light something in a DIFFERENT FIRE only to come back and use that item on the ORIGINAL FIRE?!?! OMG. Stupid. There were so many examples of that kind of thing and it really grates on your nerves after awhile.

This game had so much potential and in fact the only reason I didn't pick up the CE was because I was short last month... now having played the game I'm actually glad I didn't get the CE... would have been disappointed in that case. As is, since I only paid $3 I think it was "good enough"... but otherwise I think I'd wait for it to be a DD. And it's a shame because it really does have soooo much potential as an ihog.

[Post New]by ghostygirl on Apr 10, 11 12:34 AM
@ LoveToMissLisa: But.... but.... but pork belly is so yummy!!!

@ gamergirl675: Wait!!! Groupon?!?!? When?!?!?! OMG.... I can't believe I missed it... sigh. Story of my life lol.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Apr 10, 11 1:27 AM
ghostygirl wrote:@ LoveToMissLisa: But.... but.... but pork belly is so yummy!!!

@ gamergirl675: Wait!!! Groupon?!?!? When?!?!?! OMG.... I can't believe I missed it... sigh. Story of my life lol.

Awww sorry ghostygirl. Someone posted it in chit chat a couple days ago... that's the only way I knew about it. But welcome to the forums anyway!! CCC is a great place to watch for sales because we all share when we find out things like that.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Apr 10, 11 5:18 AM
gamergirl675 wrote:
ghostygirl wrote:@ LoveToMissLisa: But.... but.... but pork belly is so yummy!!!

Awww sorry ghostygirl. Someone posted it in chit chat a couple days ago... that's the only way I knew about it. But welcome to the forums anyway!! CCC is a great place to watch for sales because we all share when we find out things like that.

GROUPON? When I first saw that, I thought someone had misspelled the word "coupon" and then I read this review and reaction; I've never heard of it, what is a groupon?

MEnr56

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Apr 10, 11 5:22 AM
allielubaka wrote:Is this SE version the 'exact' same as the CE - I bought the CE in March! Should I have waited. My very positive input for this game in any version!! Though, I'm still curious if the SE is as long as the CE? Please someone answer. Just thinking I should wait around for a SE for up and coming CE games.????

My understanding that the only difference between a CE and a SE is that the CE MAY have 1 more chapter PLUS wallpapers and other things. Personally, I've yet to read in the forums any reason to rush to buy a CE because the SE has the same gameplay.

MEnr56

kalalika
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
465 Posts

[Post New]by kalalika on Apr 10, 11 7:25 AM
Thanks Laura and SMQMC - I'm still on the fence about this one only because of some of the puzzles....I really do not like the sliding tile/create a picture ones. I just cannot seem to complete them and end up skipping them which irritates me. It frustrates me when I have to skip a puzzle as i like to know when I finish a game that I completed every puzzle. I always end up with 2 or 3 pieces that I can't get into their correct position - very frustrating .
Hope everybody has a wonderful Sunday!
WOW - I just morphed

Edited on 04/10/2011 at 7:26:39 AM PST

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Apr 10, 11 9:02 AM
I also think this one is a little easy. After the trial, it appears that I am at Chapter 4 and there is 12 total. So I am not sure if it is worth it.

However, the graphics are very nice.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Apr 10, 11 10:31 AM
Love the graphics
Love the music & background sounds
Not too hard so can game without the walkthrough
Nuff said - it's a buy

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 10, 11 10:33 AM
Leanda1 wrote:So where's cherb & casualg & sin & goofyduck & peggle (not to mention poodlebear sob sob)????? I always so look forward to their reviews! I have tried for a few minutes but was easily distracted so not sure on this one. Will wait til tomorrow (with no TV on LOL!) and give it another shot but so far **** hum....
Again, just my opinion, Try it before you buy it! :-)

Lean

edited for spelling LOL!

Most of them commented on the CE version. Those of us who wait for the SE are in thinner company. Do a search here for the game and you'll see their comments... March 7th I think.

Edited on 04/10/2011 at 10:34:04 AM PST

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by runtotorun on Apr 10, 11 12:31 PM
I thought this game was wonderful. The graphics were crisp and clear, the music was appropriate for the setting and it had just enough folklore eeriness to keep it interesting. Glad I bought it.

[Post New]by LIFEISBLESSED on Apr 10, 11 4:02 PM
I have to say that after reading some of your reviews and comments I decided to demo the game and after 30 minutes I bought it. It is different, for sure. I liked the mini-puzzles, some of them require some type of logic, but that's what makes the game different. I really enjoyed it. I did not look at anything else besides entertainment, and it was a lot of fun to play. It took my family and I more than 5 hours to play, and believe me, it was worth every penny. I am glad that it was a SE because I won't buy CE games, too much stuff to clutter the computer. All we need is the game, and if we need the walkthrough, we find out, if there is one available. With this game, we needed to look at it once in a while to be able to continue playing. There is a lot of moving around but that is one of the best features we look for in the games we buy, it makes it fun to go places. Also, a lot of interactions, there was a lot here but not as much as Vogat's games, still it was a terrific game. Some of the cut scenes, reminded me of Mist game, especially, when the bridge was coming down, and other similar scenes. Thank you all for your imput, it helped us choose a great SE game. I wish we have more SE games.
Marty & Family

[Post New]by vanderploeg on Apr 10, 11 11:57 PM
Its okay but not a buy for me. Three stars out of five.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Apr 11, 11 12:00 PM
[b]woooo...VERY LONG GAME...but great story, graphics, puzzles and ****.....even though it is not based on history, it was wicked scary and i cannot imagine how long the collectors edition went....yikes....like these authors...will look for them again!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 11, 11 3:37 PM
I have waited also for the standard version because I liked this game, but not enough for buying the CE... but definete the standard version

EmmaLynne
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by EmmaLynne on Apr 13, 11 1:05 PM
I wanted so much to love this game, but I’m sad to say, I just couldn’t. The Void, this developer’s last release is one of my favorites, and saw tones of that in Samhain, but it just didn’t work for me. It seemed too long and far too unfocused. I’d have been ecstatic with the length of the game, but I just wasn’t enjoying myself.

Plus points: I’m a sucker for games with achievements, and this has plenty. Graphics were excellent. There were some old familiar puzzles, but also some refreshing new challenges. I try my best not to skip puzzles, but this had some real head-scratchers, which I like.

However… While I enjoy a few differing location, but this was just all over the place… Ruins, snowy mountains, underwater, laboratories, swamps, … and that’s just naming a few. If it had focused on certain more similar areas, it would have seemed more cohesive, such as the ruins, the swamp, perhaps the city. I just felt like I was playing several completely different games stitched together for no apparent reason.

The story was interesting, but didn’t explain itself very well. I’m used to games from this developer revealing their stories through the use of the journal more than through gameplay, but this seemed to be lacking some information. Or maybe it just wasn’t that interesting to me.

I also had some technical issues.. And just some issues with how the game was controlled. Iplayed on the challenging mode, but still found sparkles indicating Hidden Object scenes… but these were inconsistent. Sometimes they showed up, sometimes they didn’t. I also had trouble with one of the games and “phantom” pieces on the board. Also, the glaring omission of a a voice track, as well as a wide screen mode.

Overall, this game was alright, but there were just too many downfalls for me to enjoy completely. I’ll certainly give this game another chance someday and hope I’ll enjoy it better, but right now that day won’t be any time soon.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Apr 13, 11 3:16 PM
MEnr56 wrote:
gamergirl675 wrote:

GROUPON? When I first saw that, I thought someone had misspelled the word "coupon" and then I read this review and reaction; I've never heard of it, what is a groupon?

MEnr56

Groupon is an internet site that offers you discounts (usually based upon your zip code). At least that is what it is in Florida. I don't know where Ghostygirl is from but she knows about groupon and so do I but I never saw a BFG deal there & I get emails from them daily!! I can't believe I missed that ! :-(

Lean

Islanderhh99
Manatee
Manatee
3,924 Posts

[Post New]by Islanderhh99 on Apr 13, 11 3:25 PM
EmmaLynne, I agree with you, it didn't explain things well. I too, didnt know what I was doing half the time or why I was doing it.

I'm still wondering what happened with those people around the frozen pond... and I did not like how things went when you finally found Robert.

I was very disappointed in the story line. I'm glad I didn't pay the CE price for it.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Apr 13, 11 8:59 PM
I decided to give this one a try even though I am not particularly fond of this nature of game. Personally, I didn't find the graphics all the special, especially for a game that was initially released as a CE. The thing that turned me off the most was the fact that there were way too many mini-games/puzzles. I don't mind them, but this one just over did it. The only reason I bothered to try this was because I was bored. Not a buy for me at all...just not my style and didn't impress me at all.

[Post New]by ghostygirl on Apr 14, 11 12:30 AM
Yes! It's a free sign-up and you use your zip code to get deals specific to your area (or an area you choose). They have everything from food, health/beauty/spa, recreation, hotels/getaways, etc... I'm a complete foodie and they always have deals for example... "Get $40 worth of food/drinks for $20". Give it a whirl! There is also "Living Social" and they tend to have a lot of vacation/spa/beauty type stuff.

I will have to try out the chit-chat but I'm such a niteowl.

Go to: