poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Novel

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Apr 11, 11 3:43 AM
Played the demo and sort of enjoyed it! Could have done without the sparkles though as I really enjoy finding things for myself! There are some strange names for items to collect though......I mean what would you expect a "forage cap" to be?? Not sure about using a game credit on this though.

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Apr 11, 11 3:50 AM
I beta tested this game a few months ago. I see that all the comments I made about the game were ignored. Why beta test a game if you're just going to go ahead and ignore the comments of your testers? I have to say the game is as terrible as it was when I tested it and it had the potential of being an okay game. The main character is a bit new-age 'ee', seventies looking especially with the medallion around his neck. The constant grabby hand is annoying. Just call the object what it is, a ball's a ball and a piggy bank's a piggy bank etc...., puzzles still simplistic and few and far betwixt, the tasks are not very intuitive and wonky sometimes in their controls, the lab is a bit lame with it's tasks and the back and forth to it just to swab something or look at a photo is slightly annoying.

Ah well. I'm sure someone will enjoy it.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Apr 11, 11 3:59 AM
about piggy or not piggy bank:why piggy?in french the name is:tirelire,and has nothing to do with pigs,so every one can understand what it is!i know what a piggy bank is,but i know also that all money box are not looking like pig!mine was a big heart when i was a little girl(so,so far ago!!!!)

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 11, 11 4:16 AM
Giving it a chance to tempt me, but still had the black bars on my 17" widescreen laptop, W7 64bit. Option just said Full Screen but on a chance I clicked on it, sometimes it works reverse to get wide. It changed to windows mode but instead of black bars I see the desktop icons, don't like that but started playing anyway.

Graphics crisp, clear and colorful after the b/w comic intro. Just notice ONE teeny spark on cabinet, could have missed that. Problem was in windows the bottom windows bar covered the bottom of the game, over Menu and whatever else may be there to use. I dragged the screen up just enough to touch the edge of Menu, went to Options, said Full Screen, clicked on it but it wouldn't change out of windows to full screen. Closed game, came back with new name and options were the same but it was still in windows, played to the safe and the arrows wouldn't move the numbers altho I had the combo (I think, from scene prior).

Oh well, no buttons working I had to use CAD to get out of it. Guess I'll try it again on my pc with XP and a regular monitor. As little as I saw it looked like a decent little gamee but I want to see what the HOGs are, that's why I play these and like the interactions lite. If it had covered the width of my screen, or not covered up the bottom features I'd probably at least done the whole hour, maybe buy.

[Post New]by heatherington on Apr 11, 11 4:40 AM
I am downloading now. But I need a game! So if it's not too bad, I'll probably buy it.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Apr 11, 11 4:41 AM
After all I DL the game and I like it. It's relaxed after all the dark games. I only want to know how long the game is.

[Post New]by starburst40 on Apr 11, 11 4:49 AM
IF THERE IS NO WALKTHRU FOR GAME AT LEAST SHOULD TELL THE LENGTH OF HOW MANY CHAPTERS I THINK THAT SHOULD BE MANDITORY

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 11, 11 4:50 AM
I think some of you may have misunderstood me when I said "...and yes, there are sparklies," in my review--I was only offering an observation. I'm a veteran HOGster, but I also enjoy the "Casual" mode and the "sparklies" that go with it! I suppose you've gotta consider YOURSELF a "genius" to recognize that in someone else, eh? Maybe there's a little bit of that in all gamers!

(Hey, Starburst--welcome to the thread, but there's really no reason to yell and stamp your feet!)

Edited on 04/11/2011 at 4:52:44 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Apr 11, 11 5:22 AM
That was a long five minutes. The laboratory was a very silly touch and when the ceiling came crashing down, I think I need to find some nails and fix the stool it fell on?? Nope, I do not think so. I'm more than willing to suspend belief to play a game, but come on. I also do not like aggressive sparklies. The sparklies themselves, I don't mind, but when I'm not moving fast enough to suit the game so they SPARKLE! SPARKLE! SPARKLE! it's just annoying. This is not a purchase. I have The Fool to finish, and then Briar Rose, and then I'll be patient and wait.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 11, 11 5:25 AM
This game is a bit on the rough side, not as polished as some we've seen lately, but it has a gritty appeal. The graphics are sharp, not fuzzy on my monitor, and the English translations are not so bad as to be annoying to most gamers - but I expect to spend a bit of time checking meanings in a dictionary! In other words, the translations are accurate, but not the common usages we are used to (like the piggy bank / money box thing - accurate, but not what we're used to.)

BFG sells globally, and not just to English-speaking countries. But even if we just consider the English-speaking ones, I'm sure that the UK gamers get just as irritated to see their ladybirds called ladybugs, their boots called trunks, and their spanners called wrenches - and I'm perfectly happy to have a game that increases my vocabulary.

On the sparklies issue, I'm personally in favor of them (I can get lost in my own house) but they should be optional - that's the purpose of having a casual and advanced mode in most games, so that's something missing here and I can understand why the more advanced gamers would pass on this game because of it. For me, since I usually play in Casual mode anyway, it won't bother me a bit to have them.

Try this one for yourself. You should do that anyway on every game, just to make sure it works on your computer. For me, I think it might be a good use for one of my free credits, but I'm going to wait a bit and see if I can get an idea about the length.

awvines
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by awvines on Apr 11, 11 5:26 AM
The story line for this is just as improbable as any other HOG, normal looking guy finds amulet and...oops! I do think the teaser on the BFG page for this game is misleading, I had doubts about scrounging around in a prison with a just-used electric chair...but at least through the demo I hadn't even found the prison yet.

Sneaker treads will be mildly worn with this game as you continually return to the newspaper lab to examine evidence. There is no journal to track your story, and it is indeed very linear, so I didn't miss the journal.

There is a good bit of sparkling, which I can overlook since this obviously is not a top drawer game. Graphics are nicely done, HOG scenes are straight forward except the developers may not be native speakers of English. You want me to find a Besom? Let me find a dictionary...You call THAT a tin can? Well at least every time it looks the same! I do find details like this amusing rather than annoying - Oh, THAT's what you mean by a sphere...

No over click penalty that I could find, I didn't time the hint recharge but it seems to be more like a minute or so.

No comment on music or sounds since I keep my computer muted, but folks who hate to be interrupted by lots of dialog will be well pleased as there is none!

Game length? Someone's going to either have to post a walk through, or take one for the fishes and buy this game and let us know! I may come back with a coupon code later this month and get this one - I enjoyed my demo time and wouldn't mind playing the whole game, but I'm stingy with my coupons and it's still early in the month!

I'd rate this game about 3 out of 5.

Have fun!

Annie

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 11, 11 5:41 AM
I played the demo hour. It's ok, but it's not at the top of my list to buy. Music is fine initially, but by the end of the hour, was rather monotonous. A very solitary pursuit this character is having so far.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Apr 11, 11 6:00 AM
I played the game, and after 15 minutes i decided i like the game and this game is a keeper, I liked everything about, the game,thx BF for all your hard work thx to the DEV's,,

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Apr 11, 11 6:08 AM
My biggest problem with this game is the hint system. It is terribly slow considering the language problem. Do I have to use the dictionary to figure out what something is or use the very slow hint system. The game also is running very slowly for me. I don't usually have that problem with any of the games. I probably won't be buying this one.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Apr 11, 11 6:43 AM
I played the whole demo and I thought it was an okay game, but very predictable. It would probably be good for kids but I found it boring. Maybe if it came around for $2.99.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 11, 11 6:52 AM
tillybaby wrote:In the U.K. we call a money box a piggy bank

PIggy Bank in USA also.

got2play
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by got2play on Apr 11, 11 7:01 AM
outhval wrote:
jeffory wrote:You know there are some people who like the sparkles instead of wandering all over the place and having to click on everything in site to know what to do next, if you do not like the sparkles that is fine but quit griping about them because a lot of us that are not that great at these games (and I presume the ones who hate sparkles are geniuses) like to have some idea of what to do next, have been reading about the hate of the sparkles for weeks now and just had to finally say something!!!!!!!!!!

Well said Jeffory. I am lost without the sparkles and hope the devs keep putting them in, otherwise I won't be able to play these games and just hate wandering around just clicking aimlessly not knowing where to go next. So hope they at least keep them in for Casual Mode and let the "geniuses" have none in Advanced Mode.

Unfortunately, many games also have sparkles in the 'advanced' or 'genius' mode (jeffory's word, not mine) and that's what bugs people. I prefer no sparkles and always choose the harder level when it's offered - when there are still sparkles, that's frustrating for me (and others). Just as it's frustrating for you when there are no sparkles. So, no hating required - our complaints are justified just as yours are. .

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Apr 11, 11 7:10 AM
I've played for about 35 min and I don't know if I'd buy it or not. It seems like a pretty straight foward game and the crow bar will open the chest in the yard at the house. It will give you a shovel to dig the hole next to it.

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

[Post New]by ducle on Apr 11, 11 7:15 AM
I was relatively ok with this game until it took the leap into mystical absurdity (which--SPOILER--it did very quickly). I was thinking that for once the plot would be more imaginative than that, but.... I'll admit that magic/mysticism/pagan symbolism etc. make me uncomfortable, but what really disappoints me is when game developers use these things as crutches to attempt to inject some interest in an otherwise lousy plot.

I have so had it with faeries, runes, amulets, and the various gods and spirits that show up like dei ex machina in these games.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Apr 11, 11 7:31 AM
This game is not for me. Why you ask? I was unable to engage in a willing suspension of disbelief for this game. I didn't question not being able to step over the tree at first despite the fact that given the view, the main character easily could have. I usually don't have an issue with British vs American English either, but as far as I know ( and I looked it up in multiple British dictionaries to verify) "stirrups" are just that not what I had to use a hint to find because I kept clicking on the stirrups hanging off the saddle. My other issue with the is not so much with translation or whatever as it is with consistency. I found a "jimmy bar" but I had to use a "crowbar". A "broom" was a "broom" in one scene, something else (I forget what) in another, and a "mop" in a third. I may not have paid attention to it except I was already frustrated. A piggy bank is not the same as a money box for everyone here in the USA as someone said. I had to use a hint for that one too, as I wasn't thinking in that direction. I run Windows 7 on my laptop and I did not have any issues with graphics-crisp and clean. For those who like it, have fun, Y'all.

Go to: