arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition

[Post New]by arthurC on Apr 21, 11 1:49 AM
So far, I've only 'watched the video' but it looks like a definite must-have for me.
One thing I noticed just from the video though, is that the music is exactly the same as another game. I just can't remember which one, and it's bugging me.

Does anyone else remember which one it was?

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Apr 21, 11 1:55 AM
Sooo I was thinking after playing some pretty dull ERS games recently that I was done with them and would never purchase anything else because everything was the same & then this lil beauty comes out. Its a dark medieval scene, nothing new BUT its in a fantasy land. There are all kinds of creatures and you are saving different people in the kingdom and it kind of reminds me of "Awakening: the dreamless castle" or "moonfell wood" only with more hidden object scenes. Lately, I been getting bored by the hidden object scenes but these ones kept my attention. There are so many things to pick up and the things you do with the objects are new and exciting. All the puzzles were new, didn't stumble upon anything I had seen before but yet they were easy enough to do without having to hint skip. I also liked how the hint button didn't come back as quick as some of their other games even on the casual mode because it gave me more time to ponder over things instead of just giving into it like I do in some other ones. I surely wasn't bored & I want this game NOW! but if I get it, I gotta figure out 3 more games to get or a collectors edition of something else n im not sure thats what I want to do this month. This one is good though. Im actually impressed which doesn't happen often especially since I wrote ERS off. I didn't even buy the new puppetshow one but this is a definite buy. Sorry if this is written crazy, I am typing with a bandaid & its more difficult that i realized.

Edited on 04/21/2011 at 1:56:10 AM PST

Menesa
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by Menesa on Apr 21, 11 1:55 AM
Im quoting /copying here...put your left leg in, your left leg out etc!ROFL! ...you go girl.. Pegleann
Im thinking Ill be a happy lil fishie with this one ...its been a bleak week with games
Im putting reality in check and slipping of to magic land ...thanks BF
wishing all a safe and happy Easter

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 21, 11 1:57 AM
orijojo wrote: peglegann wrote:

The story is very familiar, about King and Queen's demise but the baby is saved.
Please can someone tell me the name of the other game with a similar story?
Graphics are lovely, items are clear, I am playing on hard mode and have to do a lot of thinking! So it looks like a keeper.

You may be thinking of the first
Awakenings - The Dreamless Castle
it has a similar storyline, and also has beautiful graphics, music etc., and a good storyline despite the fairy.

I've only just downloaded and yet to play, so don't know about this one.

Jo

Thank you, I never remember that name of games

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 21, 11 1:59 AM
I don't know about the music, sounds good to me, and I am loving this game. Graphics are good, hogs are seeable, puzzles are doable, voices fit, oh yes, they actually fit the characters, and make sense, yahoo This is a good one, and should be worth the price. At least I didn't waste any dollars on the buggy one from yesterday, so I am satisfied. I don't do reviews, y'all, just comments, lol. And looks like the storm has by passed, so taking these tired eyes, and achy end of my body to bed. But I am so looking forward to continuing this one when I wake up. ERS has come through with a winner.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Apr 21, 11 2:00 AM
peglegann wrote:
Woofie53 wrote:They put the DD in the TGT spot and then they changed it to the way it's supposed to be.

Thank you. I thought I was going doolallie!

LOL I was on here when the games changed and when I saw the DD coming , in the TGT spot and no TGT said WHAT???? lol Then when I refreshed, everything was back to normal.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 21, 11 2:08 AM
OK, Peglegann--I'll just do the "Hokey-Pokey" all over the place, 'cuz "That's what it's all about!"

(Disclaimer--about 30 minutes with the demo)

This game looks like one of the best ones to come down the pike in quite a while. From a premier developer, so we can't go wrong! The storyline is a rerun of at least one other game (can't remember either, ann); nothing that I can see that's moody or broody about this. It's just a beautifully-rendered Medieval (Bella's word) fantasy.

The intro is absorbing, and the options menu has what we need, although the game cursor was sluggish for me (got minimum requirements). There are two game-play modes (I started with the Regular, 'cuz I'm a wimp sometimes!)--yep, "sparklies" do exist in that mode. The elderly-lady's voice acting in the beginning is superb--hope that quality carries through 'til the end! Graphics are top-notch, and the hidden-object scenes are well done and do involve some interaction. One drawback to the demo--no access to the Strategy Guide--gotta buy the whole thing. Soundtrack is a "keep-the-speakers-on" type, IMHO.

(Off-topic for a minute here--now, if we can only convince to let us use credits or codes for CEs, we'd be one happy school of fishies!) Got about 6 CEs that we haven't enjoyed yet--time to get busy!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 21, 11 2:09 AM
peglegann wrote:
orijojo wrote:You may be thinking of the first
Awakenings - The Dreamless Castle
it has a similar storyline, and also has beautiful graphics, music etc., and a good storyline despite the fairy.

I've only just downloaded and yet to play, so don't know about this one.

Jo

Thank you, I never remember that name of games

I was thinking it was Princess Isabella 1: The Witches Curse

(btw, they are coming out with a sequel to this soon!! looking forward to it)

ETA: DOOLALLIE??? What is that Peglegann? Another term from Eire?

Edited on 04/21/2011 at 2:12:05 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 21, 11 2:15 AM
Tried it ... Loved it ... Bought it .

Mind you there are still sparkles to be seen in the harder mode to show you where the hidden object scenes are so it is not quite perfect .

One of the things I found particularly good was that when you went through the portal it was exceedingly well done in that it

DID NOT use dazzlingly bright flashes of light .

Take note other developers, it is possible to convey passage from one time/area to another without using them.

I found the graphics to be excellent and the hidden objects to be a good size and easy to see although not always apparent at first glance. Another plus is that some of the objects are actually hidden in the hidden object scene and these are shown in a different colour on the list so that you know that you have to search for them.

I also thought that the Nanny's voice was excellent and fitted the part .

It is nice to have a fantasy game to play in between the dark and eerie games which I also love and as, it is the only time I ever get to be a Princess, I am going to enjoy it so out of my way fishes I have a kingdom to save ... <dons sneakers>

Cherb

tehi
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by tehi on Apr 21, 11 2:16 AM
Just what I would expect from an ERS game.

Great voices,storyline,graphics....Played 15 min of demo and exited to buy
After only 15 min I'm not that far in...still with the nanny and left before making the parrot happy but doesn't seem like icky hand holding in hard mode. Guess I'll know more later but have purchased anyway.

Now my big compaint......
Why can't we continue the trial while downloading the full version? Not expecting an answer just voicing my opinion on "sample" version trials vs. "1 hour" trials.

Have fun everyone

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 21, 11 2:18 AM
shadowfax, "doolally" (I spelt it wrong the first time ) is losing one's mind. About right for describing me. I am off to carry on the Hokey Cokey dance and then to play this game. Seems like it is going to be a buy.
........right arm out, do the hokey cokey and turn around........

[Post New]by heatherington on Apr 21, 11 2:27 AM
I knew Miss Lisa would say it was "Fine Swine" after I read all the other posts. This is a goody. All you really have to say is Ers. I'm downloading now.

tishythree
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by tishythree on Apr 21, 11 2:36 AM
love this game but cant buy yet as my punch card is full and too near end of month for me to fill another one so would waste three stamps i fail to see why stamps cant be carried over

flowerchild44
Marlin
Marlin
8,348 Posts

[Post New]by flowerchild44 on Apr 21, 11 2:47 AM
this is a goody, really enjoying it, and some one mentioned the voice of the nanny, it is delightful.All in all a quality game,
have a great easter break fishies

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 21, 11 2:53 AM
Comment. Well I lasted 20 mins of play to make sure everything worked then I HAD to hit the Buy it button. It's beautiful and enthralling. Playing in Expert mode, so I'm hoping this will be one long game! But it took one and half hours to dl the demo, so it's going to be a nail-biting wait before I can actually play it.

Thank you ERS - Loving it already.

Now if we could only use game credits to purchase life would be sweet!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 21, 11 2:59 AM
Well I put my right hand out, but before I hit Buy, my left hand went out and checked my punchcard and with only 2 holes left I'm doing the Hokey Slow Pokey All set up with my Cokey and my Smokies and oh rats. Waste a punch or slow down and do a May dance instead.

Cuz I really was planning to buy a CE this month with 2 SEs that I didn't get as CEs and a DD. What to do with 4 punches and I got the cash in hand. I want this game now, it felt lovely so far except for those black bars again. I spent 10 min demo time trying to adjust res, it kept changing it to 1000x728 or something, bars on top and bottom too. I switched it back up to 1600x900 which is my windows mode but it doesn't run in windows waaaaaaahhhhhhh. Nobody wants to dance with me, just stomping my feet.

Yes, another similar but was recently, witch stole the baby prince, but don't think the curse got broken and rescued the prince cuz I think it got dumped with too many glitches, at least I did. Seen one cursed castle seen 'em all. But this one is soft and lovely. Colors a bit faded on my laptop but I think on my reg 15" monitor it will color up better (I like to play with those dials).

I was on Casual, even tutorial but forgot why some items were in yellow, must have done something right, found them all in HOGs. But, as usual, the puzzles threw me, know what I'm supposed to do but how? The6 tiles I found but clicking the arrow ones they just went off on their own, not where I want to steer them so had to wait wait to skip, time running out. Later I thought oh maybe you hold down mouse and drag?? Wish they gave more help but when you click help it's same as they just told you. Went through the portal knowing I had more to do in the house, hope that is how it goes and I can go back in. Think I know what to do with the bird but that is NOT a proper parrot. Not even an EX parrot, that's a cockatoo if I ever saw one.

Had to pick on something since I'm bummed about the punch economy. Costs the same as getting the 2 SEs but....how much is a punch worth anyway. Oh! the agony of thinking.
Then it means no more games til May Pole dance. Off for another try on the old clunker, hope it can handle nearly a gig of game space.

This is more about me than the game, but I think all said above is true. What we've been waiting for, sure worth the price to me if that SG will point me on the way to do that puzzle. No time to figure things out during a demo, at least it LOOKED easy.

Edited on 04/21/2011 at 3:52:17 AM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Apr 21, 11 3:01 AM
Tried the game for 5 mins and it definitely a BUY from me. This game has beautiful graphics and atmosphere, great storyline and amazing fun gameplay. I have a very high expectations on this game but it still manage to get higher than my expectations. Just loved this game so much, ERS has never makes me disappointed!

4.5/5 stars

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 21, 11 3:33 AM
Played the sample even though it was from ERS; I've found their games a bit 'samey' lately but this was at least something different. However my major gripe right at the start was the Nanny's voice. The game appears to be set in medieval England, or at least a European country, so why does she have an American accent? The portal fairy also had the same accent; surely English accents would have been more appropriate (I wasn't aware of Royal Families, castles and dragons being part of American folklore, so I'm assuming it's not set in the U.S.A).

Aside from this major irritation, it looks a nice enough game. The usual high standard of graphics, hidden objects more like 'in your face' objects, one puzzle was a bit tricky to work out but got through it and undoubtedly this will sell very well. I will probably wait for the SE unless the bonus content differs from the 'all HOG and not much else to do' style that ERS tend to stick to.

As an aside, I wonder how ERS manage to come up with these games on a regular basis, whilst some devs seems to take forever to follow up a good game!

maricika
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by maricika on Apr 21, 11 3:38 AM
Has to be Princess Isabella: A witch's curse or Briar Rose for sure.

orijojo
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by orijojo on Apr 21, 11 3:42 AM
Shadowfax44 wrote

I was thinking it was Princess Isabella 1: The Witches Curse
(btw, they are coming out with a sequel to this soon!! looking forward to it)

Yes, I think you are right, it was Princess Isabella. I loved that game, and if as you say there is a sequel coming, I'll be looking out for that one. Hope it's a better sequel than the Awakening: Moonfell Wood. I was very disappointed in that one, just a lot of HOG's and not much else.

I like this one, its pretty and voice overs are good, except for the parrot. I played the full hour so obviously I was enjoying myself, but I'm ot sure it's a buy for me at the C/E level, might wait for the S/E.

Jo

Go to: