puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews on Silent Scream: The Dancer

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 25, 11 3:05 AM
Oh, I remember now (Sr Mom) hearing must be going too. I did not hear a snore, I thought she was dead, added some tension anyway, who dunnit. Oh, mafia boss, they slipped her a Mickey. And what's a nice mother like her doing working around Mafia, it ain't Prohibition speak easies either. Whatcha call intriguing storyline, may be as distorted as the graphics. Better turn up the sound, I'm missing audio hints.

Edited on 04/25/2011 at 3:06:31 AM PST

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 25, 11 3:09 AM
My opinion after 50 mins of play. Choose ‘Select if this is not you’ to enter your name, also choose whether you want casual or expert(!!) mode. I chose the harder option, but even with this choice there are sparkles. Usual sliders for Sound and Music, Check box for Custom Cursor, and full screen. Cartoon type scenes, some at strange angles (why?) and seemed sort of grainy and not clear (especially the ‘town’ part!)

The cut scenes can be skipped, but the dialogue during scenes can’t be. A red circle with a strikethrough appears at the side of the cursor until it’s ready to let you proceed. A lot of the ‘items’ to be picked up and used can be seen, but can’t be picked up until required. Also and some items required are very well hidden (camouflaged) and I had to use a hint to find them. SPOILER: Especially the spoon required to open the tin!) When you have collected certain items they need to be merged in a ‘special box’ that pops up. You put the items in the top part, and then drag them down into the bottom bit.

The hint takes about 1-2 mins to recharge, and the over click penalty is a ‘cluster’ of spiders running around the screen, making icky little noises. I jumped at this one, nose to screen, wasn’t expecting it at all! One Hidden object scene (In the attic) was very cluttered and I found it difficult to see some of the items. And why put three trowels (Spades) in a scene (Not THAT trowel (or spade), THIS one!!). I encountered three puzzles, a string one (love those) Find the relevant pairs!! Very hard to find the matching pair. SPOILER: If I could have found the bullet for the gun, I would have shot myself by the end of this one!) and a connect the dots without crossing the lines (quite enjoyed this, but time was running out) so I skipped it.

I am frustrated with not being able to pick things up, disappointed with the sparkles and hand holding in Hard mode, exhausted with constantly running back and forth, up and down (pack plenty of sneakers, you‘ll need them), but still intrigued and curious about this one. It's in the maybe, possible pile. May use a punch card credit, but might wait to see what's coming next week.

Kel

17players_
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

Demo 1/2 way through game

[Post New]by 17players_ on Apr 25, 11 3:11 AM
I just finished the demo in expert or advanced mode and according to the walkthrough was half way through the game. So for me it would be approx. a two hour game total or just one more hour for me. Ugh! A no buy for me.

17players_
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

One more thing

[Post New]by 17players_ on Apr 25, 11 3:18 AM
I really didn't like the narrator aways saying what I think was "toy" each time I picked up an item. Really annoying. Didn't like the sparkles in advanced play and not being able to pick up items when I found them. The Hint button shows either where an item is or shows you what room. Too much help. The yarn/thread looked like a dried up hot dog, a nibbled on cigar or biological movement. Not excited about that one.

Edited on 04/25/2011 at 3:19:14 AM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Apr 25, 11 3:35 AM
I really like the game, I will use a credit,The graphics was ok, sounds was ok.
This game is different after you play demo for awhile, You will begin to like the game..Thx BF & DEV,,
Happy Gaming fishes

[Post New]by lefteyeshut on Apr 25, 11 3:38 AM
good game so far just got through the trial and liked what i've seen. Graphics are good, music is creepy. Some hand holding at first but it seems to let up as the story progresses.

This ones a buy for me!

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Apr 25, 11 3:40 AM
its a buy from me too and I dont usually like hidden object scenes in games but this one is ok, the game is surprisingly good

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Apr 25, 11 4:23 AM
Wow....she works in a strip joint and puts her child into some crazy daycare.
This is going to be one bizarro game.

Nemo_60
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Nemo_60 on Apr 25, 11 4:24 AM
The only thing I liked about this game was when you used a hint the object location was very clear. A little to much hand holding, which became extremely boring, after a while not very much of a challenge . A no buy 4 me!!!

fstar
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by fstar on Apr 25, 11 4:53 AM
jkuci wrote:

Graphics are hand painted sort of a bent-cartoony style that reminds me of "The Far Side" newpaper cartoons. Goulish but not scary.

I always wondered how to describe that type of graphics. Now I know. LOL
Thanks

unicornone
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by unicornone on Apr 25, 11 5:10 AM
I played this on a mac with VMFusion, it took a very long time to load the first time but I quit out to make lunch and it was quicker second time around. I did get a violation error early on but on relaunch everything was okay. I have only done the demo version and did not get very far in because of the extraordinary long load time... but oddly I think I want more... why? well it is different. The cartoonish graphics seem at odd with the 'black' storyline but I did not find it offputting. I don't like the linear storyline as it makes you play at the developers one dimensional storyline. You find objects but can't pick them up as they are not part of the story yet. However you can actually see objects in this game and you are not randomly clicking on dark corners hoping something is there (too many games rely on darkness in place of complexity). I did find the game play quite easy, even on the difficult mode... it seems the difference between casual and difficult is not so difficult after all.

I am not going to buy this one straight away... although I am having withdrawal symptoms due to the lack of decent games lately (not just BFG), it seems there is not much around at the moment.... Maybe that means I am playing too much!

Anyway.. it is worth a look and I think opinion will be divided on this one ...but I probably will buy, just not decided how or when yet.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 25, 11 5:23 AM
She puts her child into a quirky daycare centre and it appears that she used to go there when she was small as well. She says "I often used to hide in here as a child", or something like that!
It is a very unusual game and takes some getting used to. I spent ages on the painting, expecting to have to grab the map as the painting was swinging! DUH! NO!
LOL!
Thank you for all the full reviews, I have nothing further to add.

BTW. Thank you Poutoule for the explanation of the word "trouve" that we could not quite catch!

inkybitz
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by inkybitz on Apr 25, 11 5:33 AM
After the hours demo - In a weird kind of way I quite like this game. It is very frustrating because you can see which objects you will need to pick up later in the game, but not till you need them. You have to remember where they were rather than store them in your inventory. There are lots of irritating noises and the main character's voice really grates after a while. If I'm honest I can't think of anything positive to say about the game .........So why the heck do I like it and am considering buying it??? !!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 25, 11 5:37 AM
inkybitz wrote:After the hours demo - In a weird kind of way I quite like this game. It is very frustrating because you can see which objects you will need to pick up later in the game, but not till you need them. You have to remember where they were rather than store them in your inventory. There are lots of irritating noises and the main character's voice really grates after a while. If I'm honest I can't think of anything positive to say about the game .........So why the heck do I like it and am considering buying it??? !!

Probably because the game is weird and so are you? ROFL! That is the way that I feel about the game. Apparently it is quite long and I for one want to see the ending.

No offence intended, honest

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 25, 11 5:44 AM
inkybitz wrote:After the hours demo - In a weird kind of way I quite like this game. It is very frustrating because you can see which objects you will need to pick up later in the game, but not till you need them. You have to remember where they were rather than store them in your inventory. There are lots of irritating noises and the main character's voice really grates after a while. If I'm honest I can't think of anything positive to say about the game .........So why the heck do I like it and am considering buying it??? !!

Totally agree. And what does the voice say when you pick up an object?? Very odd. I think I'll keep this for a DD or maybe for a dry spell.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Apr 25, 11 5:48 AM
Maybe it's too early for me...but this one goes on to the I-don't-think-so-list.

I played about 20 minutes of the demo.

I'm so not a morning person to start with. I didn't find the graphics that appealing to start with. And all that wobbling around of the screen....no thanks.

Some of the HOG scenes were rather junk pile for my taste.
My cursor was rather finicky, I had to click on a lot of things twice to get going.

That thing with all the inventory and only being able to pick it up when I need it is not my cup of tea either. I guess I didn't pack enough sneakers....

It just didn't grab me at all.

Doing laundry sounds more appealing to me this morning........

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 25, 11 6:10 AM
vicalana wrote:

Totally agree. And what does the voice say when you pick up an object?? Very odd. I think I'll keep this for a DD or maybe for a dry spell.

To quote Poutoule " I heard the whisper when you find an object, and thought it said "Trouvé", "Found" in French... "

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Apr 25, 11 6:12 AM
Yosemite1956c wrote:Wow....she works in a strip joint and puts her child into some crazy daycare.

Oh my....well that I just gotta see!

I have not tried it yet but wanted to see how many were annoyed by the voice every time a H0 is clicked on. That is a pet peeve of mine in HOGs.. we'll see I still have quite a few games backed up but with a stomach bug stuck in bed today I'll probably get to them all.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 25, 11 6:15 AM
WiccanWoman530 wrote:
Yosemite1956c wrote:Wow....she works in a strip joint and puts her child into some crazy daycare.

Oh my....well that I just gotta see!

I have not tried it yet but wanted to see how many were annoyed by the voice every time a H0 is clicked on. That is a pet peeve of mine in HOGs.. we'll see I still have quite a few games backed up but with a stomach bug stuck in bed today I'll probably get to them all.

Get better soon

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 25, 11 6:15 AM
I didn't play much of the demo and I wasn't very impressed by first impression but I will withhold judgment until I give the game a better chance or wait for friends to recommend the game (or not) to me. I just have one thing to comment on with the little game play I experienced: I HATED those scenes that were "on a slant" - that made me just crazy! If they do that much in this game I would definitely get a crick in my neck!

Go to: