elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Amanda Rose: The Game of Time

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 27, 11 4:56 AM
Gotta give a round of applause for this one! I saw an Overview at another site several days ago, but it didn't mention a developer, so I searched the title and was pleasantly surprised--the "Snark Busters" gang has a good track record (IMO), so off I went to at least try the demo. BIG d/l file size (almost 400 Mb)--good options (I chose system cursor); no voices (kind of disappointing, considering the size), but dialogue is good; intro is comic-book style, very artfully done.

This seems to be an Adventure/HOG/IHOG--Dad has (somewhat suspiciously) crashed his airplane in the Arizona desert, and now you're on the trail! The hidden-object scenes I've encountered so far are reasonable but challenging--shapes of items on the list rather than words. Nice and quick rechargeable hint system. If you misuse an inventory item, Amanda's likeness in the lower left corner shakes her head and she makes a remark, but that's OK. Only one mini-game so far (swap the tiles)--fairly easy. I certainly don't have a feel for game length, but with a file this large, it should be rewarding. (I may add on to this review as I play more of the game, but I like what I see so far.).

I suppose will be disappointed (well, probably not--only $7 !), but I like to support developers directly from time-to-time--I'm glad I did with this.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Apr 27, 11 5:39 AM
angelfish106 wrote:Played as far as I could stand it before having to exit, otherwise I'd have asked the bank robbers to shoot me and put me out of my misery. Nice enough graphics but far too much yapping, doing tasks that were totally superfluous to the story and if I wanted some smart-alec woman sitting in the corner nodding or shaking her head depending on what I do, I'd go back to school. Felt like saying 'if you're so smart, why do you need my help'

No thankyou; I'll replay yesterday's game which was really enjoyable and wait hopefully for the CE tomorrow of something less irritating!

Well said.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 27, 11 5:50 AM
Well, I demo'd it, but can't say I particularly like it.

Usual slider options for Music, Sound and Ambient effects. Custom cursor can be turned off. Also Full Screen, and Widescreen options (clicking either did not get rid of the black bars down the side of my screen). I soon turned 'Ambient sound' off as it was getting rather annoying.

Cartoon type squares for cut scenes, and I got absolutely sick of clicking 'next'. Far too much dialogue to click through for me. (No voices, which would have actually made it better I think). As it's already been stated, it's a daughter, this time searching for her father, I must have clicked 'next' too fast because I didn't quite follow the story. Got lost myself somewhere!

I found myself searching for tiny items in large screens (as the game progresses, you find two screens per room, and need to click on the arrow to move round). The puzzles I got to were 'make a cocktail' 'swap the tiles' to make a picture, 'Choose the right key for the lock', another 'click the tiles in the right order' to make another picture, and when the demo ended I was making a picture from pieces of paper. (Jigsaw type).

As I was on Chapter 7 (I think! and it's only 15 chapters long) the game length seems to be a couple of hours (possibly 3 at most). It felt to me, anyway, more like a children's game than one for adults (just MY opinion!) I think I must have been spoilt by yesterday's VOGAT gem!

Kel

eta: I see somebody finished it while I was waiting for download and to play the demo!! Makes it quite a short game. Like angelfish I may just replay yesterday's for the joy of it!

Edited on 04/27/2011 at 5:54:15 AM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 27, 11 6:08 AM
This is one of the best games I've ever played. I'm letting it rest and then I'm going to play it again. I loved it. The length is very appropriate for the price. Took me several days to finish as I only play evenings.

This is a real deal for this price. I paid a lot more for it as at the time I was desperate for something good to play. Go for it.

PS for those who found fault with it, all I can say is if it were any better you'd be paying double for it.

Edited on 04/27/2011 at 6:09:48 AM PST

[Post New]by lefteyeshut on Apr 27, 11 6:09 AM
I really liked this one the graphics are great and the puzzles are unique. Some items are hard to see but hint button recharges quickly.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Apr 27, 11 6:49 AM
Not a bad game but not one for me. The graphics were okay and some of the items were really small but as they say, that's what the hint button is for. It is not, as some people stated, a FROG (at least not a true FROG). As I understand it, a FROG are fragmented pieces of a whole part you have to find. One whole piece of the part does not constitute (at least in my mind) a FROG. I prefer each item to have at least 3-4 pieces to it to find. I wasn't intrigued with the way the story moved. You were only limited to one room or two at a time. No browsing to other areas to check them out or figuring out where to use the inventory items. Maybe I might purchase it as a DD but not paying full price or even using a credit. The saving grace is that the hint button recharges fast. The Journal is somewhat useful biut why list the tasks in it when they appear on screen? It seems to me the only time you need a list of tasks in a journal is when there are multiple ones (like 10 or so) and you are going to multiple locations (not 1 or 2). When that is the case a map indicating areas or locations where there is further action needed is really useful. I really like games where it is stated "Area Cleared" or the character says "I don't need to do anything here".

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 27, 11 6:52 AM
I don't know why I come here, I get so angry ... some of the posts are so unbelievably ridiculous. Comparing an SE to a CE? That's like comparing Apples to Bananas. Certainly not a fair comparison. It's a SE folks!!! It's a great game for that money. It must be nice for those who can afford to buy every CE that comes along... I envy you. But to knock good SE's is totally unfair to the people coming here to see if the game is worth trying.

Me... I am happy as a pig in mud when great SE's like this one are offered. Thank you, Big Fish!!!!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 27, 11 7:08 AM
barbee44 wrote:I don't know why I come here, I get so angry ... some of the posts are so unbelievably ridiculous. Comparing an SE to a CE? That's like comparing Apples to Bananas. Certainly not a fair comparison. It's a SE folks!!! It's a great game for that money. It must be nice for those who can afford to buy every CE that comes along... I envy you. But to knock good SE's is totally unfair to the people coming here to see if the game is worth trying.

Me... I am happy as a pig in mud when great SE's like this one are offered. Thank you, Big Fish!!!!

actually i think some of the recent se,s have been far better then recent ce,s

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 27, 11 7:12 AM
barbee44 wrote:I don't know why I come here, I get so angry ... some of the posts are so unbelievably ridiculous. Comparing an SE to a CE? That's like comparing Apples to Bananas. Certainly not a fair comparison. It's a SE folks!!! It's a great game for that money. It must be nice for those who can afford to buy every CE that comes along... I envy you. But to knock good SE's is totally unfair to the people coming here to see if the game is worth trying.

@ barbee44

Sorry, but I'm just wondering why your so angry? I've read the comments and reviews again and nobody (as far as I can see) has compared it with a Collectors Edition game.

My own comments are based on my game play and the fact that I much preferred yesterday's Standard Game to this one

Kel

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 27, 11 7:17 AM
Nice little game, and since I only got to looking for bank robbers before the demo was done, I'm not sure od the length..reading the reviews it seems kinda iffy.

Nice friendly graphics, takes a bit of getting use to the crawing style and the game play. Not good or bad, just different. I like the yummy graphics of The Fool or the Puppet show series etc, so this is just different. Seeing as Snark is out again and looking great, I can only think to save my pennies for that one.

Decent story, so far good flow to the game. Love the mini-games, really had to head scratch awhile and forabde myself to hit skip.

Wish I had one last place on my punch card,,,,cause it would be a nice game to play today and it would help the stress around here.
kris

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 27, 11 7:25 AM
Hello all. This is a lovely, bright, crisp graphics, items clear to see, game. I finished chapter 2 in 11 minutes. I am a slow player!
I love the idea of the game but wish that it was a little more difficult for me.
It seems that there is no pleasing all of us but we have been offered a wide variety of HOG's lately, well done BF and Dev's.
All the excellent reviews have been done, thank you So I will just say, this could be worth a DD or sale sometime in the future.

yve501
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by yve501 on Apr 27, 11 7:48 AM
I really enjoyed the demo. Simple gameplay lovely graphics, if anything a bit too easy for me. I would have bought it but I understand it's very short.
I have one game to go to fill up another punch card so I'll wait and see what else comes along.
Oh and I hated yesterdays S.E we can't all be the same.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Apr 27, 11 8:09 AM
There are more than a dozen chapters altogether, but the chapters vary quite a bit in length Some chapters have only one room to work in. Some have two, some have three and one has even more. Chapters with more than one room take longer because you'll likely have Find Lists in each room AND you'll have to take inventory items from one room into the other to complete tasks there. Also, some of the mini-games are much longer than others.

It probably falls into the short game category, but it's not supershort.

Also, you sometimes have to find parts of things, but I wouldn't consider it a FROG. For example, you might have to find a (hypothetical, not a spoiler) a candlestick and a candle. But you don't have to find slivers of anything.

As for the locked items on the Find List--that indicates some kind of interaction is needed to reveal that item. Oftentimes you have to just click something in the scene to move it so you can get to something behind it. For example you might need to click on a drawer to open it so you can search inside. Other times it means you have to use a tool first, like using a saw to cut open a crate (again, hypothetical example, not a spoiler).

If you're confused about how to get to your inventory items, we have instructions in the General Tips section of the walkthrough.

Robin

Edited on 04/27/2011 at 8:18:04 AM PST

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Apr 27, 11 8:13 AM
For the most part I don't have anything to add to the positive reviews. There's nothing really negative about the game, except maybe length? I don't know, and I doubt it would stop me from buying either. The chapters are short, but the divisions make sense. It's on my list to buy, but not this month.

no1no3fan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by no1no3fan on Apr 27, 11 8:30 AM
I only had to read "It is published by the same people who did The Treasures of Mystery Island" and I was off to download!!!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 27, 11 9:01 AM
I thought the game is okay. I don`t like it enough for wanting to buy it now, but maybe later (for example if I need another punchcode on my card) or if its a daily deal someday).

Edited on 04/27/2011 at 10:39:16 AM PST

[Post New]by stingmaster on Apr 27, 11 9:26 AM
Hello All!
This looks like a game that everyone likes! I think I will give this one an ole college try! Thanks for all the good reviews all! Happy gaming!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 27, 11 10:06 AM
Sorry. I have very strong feelings about this because I wrote to Big Fish and complained about the crappy games offered for 6.99 and as usual they try to please their customers and have now been offering much better games for 6.99 and I for one am very thankful. Thank you BFG.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 27, 11 10:28 AM
@barbee - glad you're finding games to enjoy! Feels good, doesn't it!

I demoed this game about a month ago and thought it light, interesting, an original offering and very well done. The only reason I didn't purchase it was I felt it was going to be a very short game for me, given the rate that I went through the demo (6 chapters). However, it remains on my "Games to Buy" list.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Apr 27, 11 10:38 AM
Pleasantly surprised.Decent graphics, cute characters, nice story line. Actually it is a lot like Seinfeld not deep but fun. It's a but for me, but not till the first of the month. I don't have the time nor the money to fill yet another card.

Go to: