Re:Chit-chat, Rants and other Comments

[Post New]by baglady159 on Apr 27, 11 5:08 AM
DeadRiver wrote:I wish I could have remained a seahorse instead of this foolish limp starfish that looks like a purple gumby.

hahaha, that's funny. Whenever I think of a starfish I think of Patrick from Sponge Bob living under a rock...sorry, I have grandkids

Edited on 04/27/2011 at 5:09:00 AM PST

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 27, 11 5:26 AM
Well, the demo just finished, and I was in Chapter 7! Does not bode well. I got myself a nice coffee and some ginger biscuits! yum.

@ snap - Yes, she is wearing a cowboy hat (in fact, she's wearing a whole bloody outfit, chaps 'n all!) Can't say much about 'glamour' photo's in the 90's. I was raising two kids and working as an office cleaner, so no glamour for me!

euphoria - Hi, haven't met you before. Yes, thanks for the laugh bet you were horrified! or something

Just going to put my thoughts into the review thread.(I think, maybe! )

Aaaarrgghhh! If I hear any more about THAT wedding, I'm going to go insane

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Apr 27, 11 5:36 AM
Hi Kelvarda
I live in IOM and my downloads take about 10 mins max. I'm no computer buff but are you sure you got your "settings" right? Just a thought

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 27, 11 6:16 AM
Hi there brad (can I call you brad, or do you prefer your full title?) Yes, my setting are correct, I have 'thrashed' this out with BT quite a lot over a year. It's not my PC it's their 'wires' 'cables' whatever you want to call them. They are old, they are overhead sometimes, underground at others. They were run into this building in the 1960's and have not been upgraded for a long time. They are not the 'be all and end all' fibre optics they keep promising because we are a rural area, and 'we' are therefore under their radar when it comes to new technology!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Apr 27, 11 6:45 AM
How is it possible that a game like Dark Ritual is 176,43 Mb and I played in 5,5 hours. And this game Amanda Rose is 378,41 Mb and some people finished in 2 hours!

Who knows???

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 27, 11 6:48 AM
sillystuff wrote:the walkthrough is up and it says it has 15 chapters so if you got through 5 in an hour then,do the math lol and i scrolled down and it doesnt look like the later chapters are longer than the first ones

Please can you do the maths for me, I have been at work all day! Brain has gone to mush with doing maths all day! LOL!

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 27, 11 6:54 AM
peglegann wrote:
sillystuff wrote:the walkthrough is up and it says it has 15 chapters so if you got through 5 in an hour then,do the math lol and i scrolled down and it doesnt look like the later chapters are longer than the first ones

Please can you do the maths for me, I have been at work all day! Brain has gone to mush with doing maths all day! LOL!

Ummm! 15 chapters - errr! 5 an hour , Umm! errr! I think about 3 hours (if your slow!!) LOL

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 27, 11 6:59 AM
Kelvarda wrote:
peglegann wrote:

Ummm! 15 chapters - errr! 5 an hour , Umm! errr! I think about 3 hours (if your slow!!) LOL

Ah but, have you added in, the perpendicular multipled by Pythagoras Therom, minus pi, plus the diameter?

Edited on 04/27/2011 at 7:00:17 AM PST

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Apr 27, 11 7:06 AM
I think everyone is catching on to this Chit-chat thread for individual games. When I checked yesterday's game's comments and review thread there were tons of "downloading now" comments. Today, I couldn't find one. Congrats to the smart fish who started this trend!!

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 27, 11 7:17 AM
peglegann wrote:
Kelvarda wrote:
peglegann wrote:

Ah but, have you added in, the perpendicular multipled by Pythagoras Therom, minus pi, plus the diameter?

Damn it...missed that out Quick - recalculate

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 27, 11 7:32 AM
No one is going to believe this! I have just played the demo (No, not that I played the demo!) and I finished chapter 2 in 11 minutes! LOL!
Kelv, calculator quickly please..................(don't forget to include the perpindicular)
I am a slow player, so I am flabergasted! So waiting for it to be a DD or on sale.
Is everyone having fun yet?

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 27, 11 7:46 AM
I'm having fun following you around these threads

And yep, it would be a nice little game for a DD.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 27, 11 8:03 AM
Kelvarda wrote:I'm having fun following you around these threads

And yep, it would be a nice little game for a DD.

Ok. I thought that you were trailing me as I was a cat, but now I realise that you are just trying to be friendly! I am off now, for today, so I will see you and everyone else tomorrow. Enjoy this bright game.
Have great fun all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 27, 11 9:54 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:How is it possible that a game like Dark Ritual is 176,43 Mb and I played in 5,5 hours. And this game Amanda Rose is 378,41 Mb and some people finished in 2 hours!

Who knows???

It's all in how they do the progamming and what game engines are used.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 27, 11 10:23 AM
Comment with a wee bit of rant intermixed with chit-chat:

I used to equate short games at clubmembers price to going to a movie theater. Seven bucks (BFG clubmember price) for a couple hours of replayable entertainment versus a couple hours watching a movie I don't get to see again unless I pay for it again in theater or purchase/rent the DVD. But my mindset on this has changed a great deal. If I'm interacting with the characters and immersed in the storyline, I'd like a quality game that lasts well over four hours. Games used to be physical therapy for me years ago after the brain damage and length wasn't a consideration but more and more I play them for pure entertainment. And escape. Escape from a drama filled life that lends me little relief.

So what does this have to do with Amanda Rose?

I enjoyed my time playing the demo and seriously considered purchasing it today. But reading review after review and comments about the game length... even from slower players... I hesitate to invest in a short game. To me it quantifies to the developers that they can release a "short" game, make some money, and not be held responsible for working towards a longer length and storyline. Similar to Cliff Notes. Offer the short version to satisfy the need and then move on. I didn't use Cliff Notes to get through school and read what was required word for word. And yes it did take time but I was prepared for that dedication. Just as I would dedicate my time and focus on a game with length to it beyond a couple hours. And a storyline that would support it.

Back to Amanda Rose... While a fun and light game, I feel let down by the length of it. Game play went quickly for me and I'm about halfway through in the demo hour. So like many others, I'd get approximately two hours of game play from start to finish. I just don't see myself purchasing Amanda Rose for anything other than BFG's DD one day.

Edited on 04/27/2011 at 10:42:51 AM PST

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Apr 27, 11 12:32 PM
omg, don't look at my icon. I have become a dead river squid.
eeeek

stevieferr
Clownfish
Clownfish
770 Posts

[Post New]by stevieferr on Apr 27, 11 2:32 PM
yeh but what a lovely pair of legs..of legs ..of legs lol and at least your bum wont look big either

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Apr 27, 11 8:12 PM
Amada rose review:
_Graphics: the opening picture is visually compelling with the locket and the rose and the glittering gold but the animation in the game makes the characters look like gumby apes stretching about.
_Premise: nothing wrong with the missing relative theme, in this case the father, but it's been done more times than I can count
_H.O. s: the first scene was supereasy, after that they were a little challenging and a lot of fun.
_Sound: the wind howling sounds authentic (not like that cheesy wolf howling in sevral other games) the piano music is absolutely wonderful with the requisite haunting violin
_Mini puzzles: fun and pretty challenging

Bugs: I had to start over with a different profile after 5 minutes.,

Spoiler: in Chapter 3 the story line takes a hysterically funny turn with the herione stopping searching to make a cocktail for another character. roflma.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 27, 11 8:51 PM
GrandWeeze wrote:I think everyone is catching on to this Chit-chat thread for individual games. When I checked yesterday's game's comments and review thread there were tons of "downloading now" comments. Today, I couldn't find one. Congrats to the smart fish who started this trend!!

It was PowderMonkey's idea!! Don't we adore our brilliant fishies?? YES, we do!!

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Apr 27, 11 10:46 PM
I love the chit chat thread: people's (oops, sorry, fishies') comments are amusing, and it clears out the review and comment thread for... reviews and comments.

I sympathize with the squids: my only suggestion is to do a lot of posts. Being a guppy is sort of like being in the total perspective vortex if you have ego issues, but I'm finding it a whole lot better than squidom!

Go to: