babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Apr 28, 11 3:53 AM
Ok...I have read the reviews & now looking forward to playing the gaem...I will be sure to leave my opinion...it looks like it may be a buy for me.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 28, 11 4:05 AM
I don`t buy every CE (can`t afford this), but I need to have this game, because its so beautiful. I love the storyline, the creepy atmosphere, the graphic, everything is perfect! ITS A BUY

[Post New]by lefteyeshut on Apr 28, 11 4:36 AM
Great game! The grapics are very good, music is well chosen and just enough creepy going on to make this one a buy for me.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 28, 11 4:45 AM
Oh I'm so lookig forward to getting home from work to day...what a great game during the first hour. I ony hope it is as long as it is yummy.
I worried that the items would too tough to see with the fog and background, but some thoughtful developer added a manifyig glass..bless her/him.
Great game play, lovely mood (swarmy thick southern humidity) and amazing art work. I opened into the dining room and was entranced...didn't want to leave it, just wanted to look and look. Beautifully painted.
So, I wait to hear from the rest of the gang to see if it is worth the CE.
kris

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 28, 11 5:20 AM
My first impression is that the story is slow in developing. The game opens with a girl talking to a dead voodoo queen about New Orleans being taken over by evil spirits. You head for home to check things out there and make a few discoveries and find what you need to be able to make recipes so you can cast spells and then do some more wandering and pick up lots of items. But it's not grabbing or pulling me in...

The graphics are good, the music sufficiently spooky, atmosphere and objects adding to overall enjoyment. However it's like I'm moving quickly...but the story is lagging behind.

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 5:21:54 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 28, 11 5:30 AM
I managed to scrape up enough room on a credit card to get this game - I am having a great time. There are lots of places to visit, the atmosphere is appropriately spooky and creepy, and (so far) I've been able to figure out what to do next with just one peek at the Strategy Guide.

The strategy guide is accessible right inside the game (yeah!) when you click on the little book in the lower left corner. The SG keeps track of where you left off (double yeah!!) so when you open it again, you don't have to search for your place. The SG only shows the demo section - there are 4 or 5 other tabs that will unlock when you buy the game.

Sort-of-spoiler on the bonus content (highlight to read): According to one of the mods (see separate thread) the bonus chapter isn't a separate section that unlocks on the main menu when you complete the game. It is integrated within the normal gameplay, so I'm not sure if you will notice when you end the regular game and start playing the bonus chapter. I'm glad he/she posted that, because I would have been running to the forum, whining that I couldn't find my bonus chapter!!
The voiceovers at the beginning are great, but they are just in the introduction - you just get dialog to read in the actual game. I can't understand why not, since this is a CE. That's the only real complaint I have about the game so far. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that Lillian's accent is strange, but I actually have a friend from New Orleans that has that same accent, just a slight lilting sound with some words. N.O. is a real melting pot, so they don't all have the deep southern accent or the "island" accent of the voodoo princess, accents that are normally associated with the area.

I'm not having problems finding items in the regular scenes, but the hidden object scenes could be a bit sharper. I'm estimating that it will take me about 5-6 hours to play the game.

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 5:32:15 AM PST

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 28, 11 5:56 AM
My comments for Voodoo Whisperer.
Developer: Funswitch and GOGII.Artwork: Crisp, Clear and Beautiful. Voices: Superb (I had goose-bumps during the Intro scene). But they are only at the beginning. Readable dialogue during the game.Options: Slider for Music/Sound (which is suitably haunting and in keeping with the theme). Fullscreen, Custom Cursor and GUI Tool Tips (??). My pc is Vista 32 bit, and I had no problems with the custom cursor.
Choose Casual or Advanced at the first screen, I chose Advanced. No Sparkles and NO handholding. Cursor changes to Usual Hand to pick up, Eye to look at things, Magnifying Glass to look closer, and little ‘walking’ footsteps to enter or leave a scene or room. The only time you know when to collect something, is when the cursor changes, so move it around a lot! The Pop-up boxes (objects/dialogue) can be closed by clicking outside them, not just on the cross at the top. The Hidden object scenes are beautifully drawn, and have a very old world feel to them, nothing modern searched for yet, and when you are in them, at the bottom left hand corner is a magnifying glass, which you can click on to use. and I did have to use the ‘glass’ once or twice. Overclick penalty: the screen slowly fills with cobwebs, (1 overclick - 1 cobweb, 2 clicks another cobweb etc) which develops into a spiders web (very fine and ‘gauze like‘) but no spider. And this slowly fades away and gets clearer. Hint takes 1-2 mins to refill. (it's an EYE in the RH Corner). The Guide is in the bottom LH corner (open book) and it does keep your place from when you last looked in it. You also have a task list in the opposite corner. The Menu is reached by clicking on City Map, and then Menu in the bottom LH corner. During the course of your search you will find a Grimoire(kept at the right hand side above tasks). Use this to read the recipes and spells required to progress. You will also collect a Mortar,(placed at the left hand side above Map) use this to combine ingredients needed for recipes. To close both of these you need to click on the X.

Overall, it flows beautifully from one scene to the next, and you do have to think about what you are going to ‘do’ with the things you collect. Some lovely ‘head scratching’ moments in this one. SPOILER: Especially the Cake Knife!!

Kel
eta - more info

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 9:26:43 AM PST

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Apr 28, 11 6:12 AM
I can't wait to buy this game in May! No screen resolution, cursor or tech problems at all and the graphics are clear and crisp.

I like CEs and usually buy them if they are of this type and quality. I don't know if the games in CEs are more in depth and longer than a SE but they seem to be plus you have the bonus game. I've found the bonus games are just as much fun and challenging as the main game.

The month of April has been very good for us H0G, Fr0G fans. Thanks, BFG!

Faylyn

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Apr 28, 11 6:12 AM
I have played this game before - was it a beta test??

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Apr 28, 11 6:15 AM
I'm really surprised that I like this game so much. Often when a game gets so many positive reviews it is too difficult for me. But this seemed just right. I did a good job by myself and then did use the hint option a number of times.

The music and sounds on this game are great and add to the spooky mood. Some games seem to have only one sound like rain, but the developers put some thought and effort into this game and I appreciate it.

The biggest problem I had here is that I can't find a way to quit the game other than cntrl alt del. Could someone tell me where to find the 'menu' button? lol

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 28, 11 6:22 AM
Yes, I did the beta, think it was back in February. Was very impressive, reminded me of Deadtime Stories, the theme, and quite difficult without help. For me anyway, lots of wandering around but artwork excellent and my fav parts HOGs so well developed.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 28, 11 6:22 AM
@ PurrThang

Choose City Map, the Menu is then in bottom left Hand corner, and you can exit the game from there

Happy playing all

Kel

Thanks for your PM PurrrThang

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 9:28:19 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Apr 28, 11 6:27 AM
I don't mind this game and my cursor doesn't move when looking for things. The statagy guide is the open book at bottom left, you don't need to go to the menu. It seems like a cool story but I find the **** part is hard at times. I'll let you all know later if I decide to buy it.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 28, 11 6:36 AM
For exit, click on the Map, the Menu is there to go to and Exit.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Apr 28, 11 7:01 AM
Played 15 minutes and it's a buy. Kelvarda said more or less everything. Beautiful graphics, story interesting, didn't notice the music so I guess it was OK, didn't come across a mini game yet. This seems a beautiful, great game, anyway needed 3 punches to finish my 3rd card...I'm broke (as usual at the end of the month!) but I can't resist buying.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Apr 28, 11 7:05 AM
I've been waiting for this game to come out ever since I read a preview on another site. I'm downloading the purchase now, as I was very pleased with the demo. I'm not sure how I'm going to like the bonus content stuck in the middle of the game. Usually, I like to finish the game anticipating some extra play. However, I'm open to change. The background music is unobtrusive, at least so far. I've only started exploring the mansion. The graphics are nice and clear and although the H/Os may be a bit challenging, I haven't found any teensy weensy get out the magnifying glass objects as yet. Oh, and it has a built in magnifying glass which is a nice touch. Also, there's a banner on the top of the screen that tells you when an area is clear. I really like that in games. I wish all developers would do that. The strategy guide looks clear and easy to follow, although I just glanced at it, having no need for it as yet....but, I may, as the game progresses. I don't know what the over click penalty is. I forgot to try! I've read that others have had cursor problems, but mine is working just fine, fortunately. I've had that problem in the past with other games and was hoping nothing would happen here. Great game!

[Post New]by fairieartist on Apr 28, 11 7:06 AM
AWESOME GAME!! One of those games, that when the trial ended you went...OH NO! The hidden object scenes are cleverly done....clearly the object, but old fashioned...you have to think of what they want found. Just spooky enough to get you in the game. Absolutely love that on the advanced mode there are no sparkles and not much hand holding....finally....thanks developers.
Unfortunately, it's a collector's edition; and I absolutely refuse to buy any more of those...up here in Canada....not worth the $. I will just have to be real patient for the SE.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Apr 28, 11 8:03 AM
It's an absolutely beautiful game. I have nothing to complain about other than I'm going to have to wait a few days to buy. Someone asked about Lilian's accent. It sounded like generic American to me. In other words, not Southern, not Cajun, not Texan, not Bostonian, Bronx, or Maine. Being American myself, I'm not trying to insult anyone, just stating my opinion so please don't take offense. I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent on the demo & am thinking it took me the full hour. Right at the very end I got a black screen and then an access code violation. Once I closed out the error message I got the time is up message from BF. I'm not too concerned about it. I Other than that I did not have any of the problems other fishies commented on. Have fun, Y'all.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Apr 28, 11 8:06 AM
Opinion/Comments based on demo only:

It’s a very good game. No doubt in my mind about that. I really like many things about it. Most of them other people have mentioned so I will try not to repeat too much. It looks and sounds great. H0 scenes are nicely done, etc.

When I first opened it and had the black bars on side, I was disappointed. This always drops my enjoyment of a game. However, once I changed my resolution to 1280 x 1024 and got it to stretch, I really enjoyed it so much better! If it’s slightly distorted, I rarely notice or care. I just like to see the whole screen with larger items and I was so thankful for that.

Where I will give my highest compliment to the creators of this game is in ease of usability. I think it is nothing short of stellar! The easy to access SG, great hints, disappearing task list, ability to bounce back from casual to advanced play without change of profile or losing your place in the game, etc.

I have mixed feelings on a couple of things with it, though. The magnifying glass is so very thoughtful and appreciated especially before I stretched the screen! The only thing that put a bit of a damper on its usefulness was the cursor image being permanently stuck to the center of it while using it.

Also, although I like the idea of the area clear notice in theory because it limits frustration searching, it also kind of put a stop to some enjoyment of the scenery and atmosphere, which was done too well to want to avoid. It’s hard to explain. I know that I could take my time and explore anyway but, it’s like it says no point in looking here anymore and so I don’t and then I miss enjoying the details of the scene. Plus it does put an image on the scene that immediately removed me from immersion. Yet, again I must say, great usability. Perhaps if it said it some other place like the bottom console or map, I would like it better.

Personally, I am not a fan of spells, making potions or even cooking recipes within a game. There are definitely quite a few of them in this one but, they made it so very easy to do them by using the integrated interface that it’s a lot more painless.

My only real con for the game is that I was disappointed in the puzzles so far. I ran into a very small number and they were on the easier side. There may be more of them later and harder too, I don’t know.

So all in all, so far I think it’s a great game, excels in usability and mildly disappoints in puzzles.

[Post New]by Murfee on Apr 28, 11 8:09 AM
I find this game absolutly amazing!!! I always start with the demo... it has taken 55 of the 60 minutes available to finish the sample version... I am a fast player... samples are usually finished within 30 minutes. Graphics are crisp, music a delight, I am running windows 7 and have no tech issues what so ever. I don't normally comment on games, but this is a must have!

Go to: