textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Re:Note about bonus gameplay ***SPOILER***

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 28, 11 11:09 AM
While it was rather a brilliant stroke to come up with this sort of "bonus" option and while I applaud you for not making those who purchase the SE suffer a cut ending, I do however take umbrage on two points.

**Spoiler Alert** For those who have NOT finished the game**Do Not read any further** GogiiGrace and others who have finished--Please highlight to continue:

1)The extra addition didn't add very much time to the gameplay for those who purchased the CE - it was only about 30 minutes - and I was playing in Advance Mode using no hints and no strategy guide and didnt skip any puzzles. Please check the Comments and Reveiw Thread for my entire Review)

2) I resent a CE not having a resolved ending of some sort. If you want to pave the road for a sequel, that's cool...but at least end this one in an appropriate manner. Leaving the heroine in a well for a year waiting for the next installment just doesn't sit well with me. I consider it a rather cheap soap opera tactic.

GogiiGrace
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by GogiiGrace on Apr 28, 11 11:35 AM
textrekkie wrote:**Spoiler Alert** For those who have NOT finished the game**Do Not read any further** GogiiGrace and others who have finished--Please highlight to continue:

1)The extra addition didn't add very much time to the gameplay for those who purchased the CE - it was only about 30 minutes - and I was playing in Advance Mode using no hints and no strategy guide and didnt skip any puzzles. Please check the Comments and Reveiw Thread for my entire Review)

2) I resent a CE not having a resolved ending of some sort. If you want to pave the road for a sequel, that's cool...but at least end this one in an appropriate manner. Leaving the heroine in a well for a year waiting for the next installment just doesn't sit well with me. I consider it a rather cheap soap opera tactic.

I'm tacking my response with the Spoiler colour as well, just to be safe.

First off, I'm impressed you made it through the bonus content so quickly! Half an hour is much faster than any of our testers were able to play through it. There was a one-hour average time for testers, so I must say I'm surprised at the speed with which you finished! I apologize that it wasn't as long as you were hoping, but kudos to you on your gaming skills!

We're sorry you didn't enjoy the cliffhanger-style ending. We have plans in the works for the future so this seemed, to us at least, a good way to end the game.

Thanks for your comments!

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 11:35:16 AM PST

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Apr 28, 11 2:38 PM
Textrekkie, you are a genius on these games. What is the most challenging H*O game or games available through Big Fish.?

xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by xxybcc on Apr 28, 11 3:34 PM
The message about bonus play is not here. Please let me know why I can't play the bonus chapter.

Proxyman
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by Proxyman on Apr 28, 11 3:57 PM
- SPOILER -
Of course you can. The bonus chapter is the 3rd chapter in the game. The Barlowe's Hotel. So if you have the CE version, you can play it.

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 3:57:43 PM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Apr 28, 11 8:52 PM
xxybcc wrote:The message about bonus play is not here. Please let me know why I can't play the bonus chapter.

Highlight what looks like "blank" space in bfgImbrium's first post there. It's just posted in white text so that you won't get "accidentally" spoiled by seeing it. Proxyman summed it up nicely, though.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 28, 11 9:52 PM
GogiiGrace wrote:
textrekkie wrote:**Spoiler Alert** For those who have NOT finished the game**Do Not read any further** GogiiGrace and others who have finished--Please highlight to continue:

I'm tacking my response with the Spoiler colour as well, just to be safe.

First off, I'm impressed you made it through the bonus content so quickly! Half an hour is much faster than any of our testers were able to play through it. There was a one-hour average time for testers, so I must say I'm surprised at the speed with which you finished! I apologize that it wasn't as long as you were hoping, but kudos to you on your gaming skills!

We're sorry you didn't enjoy the cliffhanger-style ending. We have plans in the works for the future so this seemed, to us at least, a good way to end the game

Thanks for your comments!

Hi Tex and GogiiGrace! First of all I am so glad to see a developer in the forums actively participating: listening and responding. It's great when a developer does that with such great openness that you have! That's awesome!
I just wanted to say: (please highlight to read)
I would have to agree with Tex on both accounts. I was also able to play the bonus gameplay in about a half an hour and I am not a super fast player by any means. I am not putting myself down at all by saying I would not call it impressive...just average. It's just how I play. I think the games, especially CE's are getting shorter and shorter as are the bonus game plays.
All in all the game and graphics were awesome, but I have to again, agree with Tex, on the disturbing nature of the cliffhanger. Cliffhangers have their marketing strategy. I get that, but leaving the heroine in a well? That's cruel to the mind of your player! I do hope you plan on coming out with a sequel very soon

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 28, 11 10:45 PM
i totally agree with tex and shanny,

while the overall game is a great length, the bonus was short.....this is one of the most important aspects of a ce for me is the length of the bonus.......and they seem to be getting shorter and shorter,

after the total length of book of air, and amber mqiden ce,s i decided to no longer buy ces till someone posted length

and as far as the ending

i dont want to have to purchase the next game to find out what happened in this one....end one story, then start a new one in the next game, i dont want cliffhangers in tv shows...let alone a game

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Apr 29, 11 6:50 AM
I totally agree that the ending was tacky.I spent at least ten minutes trying to find the bonus game , presuming that this would finish it off properly.It was only by reading the forums that I realised what was happening.I don't want to spoil things for others, but I really did not like the way things finished

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 29, 11 12:14 PM
Thank you fellow fishes for responding with your thoughts.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Apr 30, 11 1:54 AM
It's great that a developer cares to answer us, thanks. Anyway I've opened a thread about the "extra bit to play" in the game's forum and BfgDonau kindly indicated this one. I do like Gogii games, but... After spending 5 minutes frantically looking for the bonus play, I had to realize it was included in the game. I looked for that extra bit as I found the game really short and couldn't believe it was finished. That really frustrated me. I don't care a bit if the bonus gameplay isn't included in the game you're playing and you have to click on another button to get it. it's just like a sweet you really would love to eat and that you save till next morning, it tastes even better. When you're really involved in a game it just doesn't matter, in fact I sometimes savour keeping this extra bit till the next day, just to know that my beloved game is still waiting for me and that I have more to play. If the game hadn't been so short I guess I wouldn't have minded, but I found it short. Seems I'm the only one here to thinks so though ! Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll buy the SE of the sequel.

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

[Post New]by jdelbove on Apr 30, 11 9:59 AM
So, let me get this straight......after she gets pushed in the well......the game is over?

Proxyman
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by Proxyman on Apr 30, 11 11:02 AM
Yes, the first part is. And since you write in red, I see you are upset about it, right?

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

[Post New]by jdelbove on Apr 30, 11 11:19 AM
Lolllllllll......not really upset Maybe just a little disappointed, that's all. And I wrote in red so it would be noticed better. I see that worked.

Is there a part 2 out or coming out?

Thanks.......JoAnne

Proxyman
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by Proxyman on Apr 30, 11 11:26 AM
I see, you got me there Well, I believe there is second parti coming up, but I don't have any details on that...

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

Re: Note about bonus gameplay ***SPOILER***

[Post New]by jdelbove on Apr 30, 11 12:28 PM
Just funnin' w/ya Proxyman

I really did enjoy this game though and was hoping for a little more after it was over. I will most likely definitely go for the part 2 whenever it comes out.

Hope you are enjoying this beautifulweekend (well, at leastt it's beautiful here is SW Florida).
Regards~~JoAnne

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

[Post New]by jdelbove on Apr 30, 11 12:35 PM

Re: Note about bonus gameplay ***SPOILER***

by jdelbove on April 30, 12:28 PM

Just funnin' w/ya Proxyman

I really did enjoy this game though and was hoping for a little more after it was over. I will most likely definitely go for the part 2 whenever it comes out.

Hope you are enjoying this beautifulweekend (well, at leastt it's beautiful here is SW Florida). Regards~~JoAnne

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Apr 30, 11 8:13 PM
If there is a part 2, and the way this one ended, it must be. I just hope that it isn't another CE ending the way this one did. Whenever part 2 comes out, I know I'll remember how part 1 ended. I would like to see how she gets out of that well. I sometimes have troubling accessing the bonus game play, but I still rather not have it included in the game.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 30, 11 9:05 PM
i think it would have been better to have the well obliterated and leave the doll inaccessible if we were just going to leave our heroine out to dry...

just - you can't get to the doll and now it's time to release all the stress and tension over the whole city getting their souls sucked out of them and now you can't save your teacher so let's sit down and have a good cry ... and wait for the next installment...

i totally see that happening... but the well?? i guess she's going to be the next batgirl or something...

what a way to end it, though...

DianeSS42
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by DianeSS42 on May 1, 11 12:50 AM
I had no problem finding the bonus gameplay - however by leaving the game not having the 'bull horn' I will now have to go back and play the ENTIRE first game to get to this object - I do think that a link back to the game would make this entire waste of time negligible - if I like a game enough I will go back and play it in the more difficult option...; but I sure don't want to have to go back through the entire two chapters I just finished to get ONE object needed in the bonus. Can someone please address this and let me know if there is another option - I have yet to find one

Go to: