Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Allora and The Broken Portal

[Post New]by Crystalscove22 on Apr 29, 11 2:35 AM
ember89 wrote:Woofie53 you took the words right out of my mouth... i'm thinking voodoo, too... so much that i all of a sudden had that song from labyrinth in my head and given that my niece is home sick from school today... i think i will take it over and watch it with her to make her feel better...

as for this wizard... i'm really wondering if i should bother with saving him... i mean, all the time we're saving folks - in voodoo there's a whole city to save - and i'm just wondering if the world wouldn't be better without a few of these folks in it?

sorry, guys, i'm in a mood, i guess... just not feelin' it for this one

Reading your comments as well as Woofies...I just had to give my 2 cents. I was so so excited about Voodoo ... but after purchasing it yesterday and playing, I really don't know that I will be able to finish the game..I became very disenchanted. There are FEW puzzles..and so simple a child could do them..in fact you are not even able to manipulate several yourself..but rather click the screen until the game itself makes the allignments on circular and 'safe cracking' type puzzles. After the second chapter I was like a punctured hot air ballon and after chapter 3 my balloon crashed. I pushed on part way thru chapter 4 and gave up out of boredom. I may go back and finish...but doubtful...worst money I have spent - (particularly for a CE...and because the bonus chapter comes in the middle of Voodoo...I have nothing special to look forward to)...but thats just me...wanted to share my opinion ...I know many of the reviews on that game are after only playing demo...I have to wonder if others were as disenchanted and perplexed as I when I got deeper in the game. Happy hunting!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 29, 11 3:19 AM
Crystalscove22

thanks so much for this comment... i will definitely give it a second thought and wait for more comments in the other forum before buying..

thanks again!!

mothermayhem
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by mothermayhem on Apr 29, 11 3:23 AM
Lovely little game. I agree with others who say this a nice break from the dark and eerie(my favorite sort of play).
Bright and full of light.
This will be a buy for me.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 29, 11 3:45 AM
I think this is a good game for beginners or for lovers from "straigt-forward-hogs". For me, this is too much hogscenes and to easy and a no buy

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Apr 29, 11 4:24 AM
Very beautiful game, a must buy for me! I love the spooky but this is a pleasant change and I encourage all fishies to at least try it...thanks a bunch, BFG for bringing this to us today!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Apr 29, 11 4:38 AM
Four minutes. That was as long as I could take those flashing arrows at either side of the screen. ARGH! I wasn't crazy about the graphics, but I like fairy tales, so I was willing to overlook the graphics if the game had been a good one, but I'll never know, will I? Those stupid arrows were just simply too distracting. What on earth was the point??

suniris
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by suniris on Apr 29, 11 5:00 AM
utterly charming..relaxing pace, soothing music, mouse/guide cute, puzzels all doable, ****'s relatively easy to find (the pyramid had me going),a nice break from the dark-side games of late

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 29, 11 5:05 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:I think this is a good game for beginners or for lovers from "straigt-forward-hogs". For me, this is too much hogscenes and to easy and a no buy

Totally agree - lovely graphics, but a no-buy from me.xx

synthesis1
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by synthesis1 on Apr 29, 11 5:54 AM
I didn't care for this game at all. I thought the graphics were very beautifully done, but that was about it. But, with that said, I don't really care for straight up HOGs, which this game pretty much is.

The problems I had with the game were:
1) The dialogue went by so quickly, I missed half the story.

2) There wasn't a lot of story given to begin with, so just knowing that a human was supposed to fix a broken portal didn't really draw me in.

3) While there were a few mini games that I came across during my time playing, and a few places where you used an object, it was pretty much straight hidden objects scenes, and it felt like you simply moved from one to the next. Even then, the objects you did find that you could use only got you crystals, which I never played long enough to figure out why these crystals were so important. And, it was pretty easy to figure out just where each object went to retrieve a crystal.

For those who love HOGs, this will probably be a great game. But, if you're not so fond of them or have gotten a little bored with them, you'll probably want to give it a pass.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Apr 29, 11 6:01 AM
love this game a buy for me!!!!!

[Post New]by Coronagold on Apr 29, 11 6:46 AM
Wow, I was wondering when this game would come out, if at all. I beta-ed it over a year ago. I remember enjoying it.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 29, 11 6:50 AM
Review after 45 mins of play.Devs: AZART. Artwork: Fantasy Cartoon-like but bright and colourful. Options: Sliders for Music/Sound. Full screen and Custom Cursor. There is no Casual or Advanced, it’s all one difficulty, but you can opt for ‘No Tutorial’ and the intro and the cut scenes can be skipped or ‘hurried on’. There is dialogue to read between each level.

Story Premise:The magician Oldiel has developed a portal, but didn’t have it fine tuned by a human. Allora and Mouse Frenkel sort of kidnap you to help collect crystals to repair it and bring him back! You will travel throughout the kingdom of Sefirem with Allora and Frenkel, finding Crystals as you go. You need to find 75 crystals. There is also a Diary where you can read about the Experiment, The Portal and your journey.

This is basically a H0G with a little interaction in the scenes. Hilited objects are placed into your inventory when you pick them up, to be used either in the scene you are in or the next one. And you know where to place the parts you find, as the objects highlight as your cursor passes over them. There are at least 3 scenes per level with annoying arrows every few mins showing where to go. Sometimes you need to do a little ’mini puzzle’ to open a ’doorway’ to move on. (not difficult) When you put an item back in the correct place, or use it correctly you are presented with a crystal. When you have found all the crystals in your particular location you move on to the next level.

The H0G scenes were sometimes a little cluttered, and I did have some trouble finding some objects because of the way they were drawn. The valve looked more like a propeller than a valve. Hint recharges quickly, and there is an over click penalty: The screen darkens, the cursor swirls around the centre, and the word Concentrate! appears in the middle and slowly rises to the top of the screen. I started this game with 3 different profiles, and the object list did change slightly every time, except for the ‘inventory parts’ you need to put back.

This is a H0G lovers paradise of a little gem, and it is also a game that children aged 5-12 would love as well. The interaction of placing items back where they belong just has the edge on a straight H0G. Whether it’s for me or not is another thing, but I’m sure there are many out there who will love it.

Kel

Edited on 04/29/2011 at 6:54:23 AM PST

gaylele
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by gaylele on Apr 29, 11 7:19 AM
The graphics look too cartoonish for my taste....gonna pass on this one.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Apr 29, 11 7:20 AM
I really liked this game, I will be buying, the graphics was beautiful and the music was relaxing,, Thx BF and DEV's..

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Apr 29, 11 7:36 AM
I just thought this game was too cluttered and not that easy to play. I am begining to tire of HOGs again so an Adventure game would be awsome. I'm not using my credit for this game.

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Apr 29, 11 7:53 AM
What a fantastic review Kelvada! Many others had great points too. Those flashing arrows made me think I needed to go to where they pointed right now, at first. :/

I need one more punch on a card for this month and this will be it unless some great DD comes up tomorrow. I'm not always good with the games and like having ones I can figure out myself which these are. I do like HOGs and do them over. It is fun and good memory practice for me.

I got new tri-focals yesterday and the new frames/lenses are much shorter horizontally than my last pair so I've found myself sitting with my chin up in the air so I can see the computer. Back I go Monday to order a pair of 'computer lenses' to put in my old frames.

Get this game, new glasses and everything else can wait. Glad I have my priorites straight.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Apr 29, 11 8:04 AM
I notice that most fishes do not like this game but I do. I like HOG games and will be buying this one. It is not too sugary and you do not have to play a female character.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Apr 29, 11 8:48 AM
A nice, pleasant game. It has a lot of Hidden Object scenes which usually would not make me want to buy, although I did enjoy this one. I'm on the fence about buying this one at the moment.
Enjoy fishes!!

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Apr 29, 11 9:19 AM
Cherb's review said it all for me. I really enjoyed the game and am loving the recent plethora of HOGs from BF. It's a charming game and one I am adding on my "to buy" list. Even with Voodoo Whisper taking up 3 credits there aren't enough games to fill up another punch card and I've maxed my budget for games this month. At least the month is almost up.

Totally of topic of course, but did those of you in Great Britain get the day off to watch the wedding? I forgot to set my alarm so I missed it. But I did see his parents wedding way back when.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Apr 29, 11 9:22 AM
Practically a straight HOG with puzzles that are so easy, they're almost an insult to the intelligence. Also graphics and story far too sugar-sweet. Might make me nauseous!

Sorry it's not for me, but might be a treat for little girls and beginners to HOGs.

Satexasgirl - Yes we got a day off for the wedding. Thought Princess Catherine (as we must all call her now) looked stunning

Edited on 04/29/2011 at 9:33:36 AM PST

Go to: