sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Chronicles: Betrayals of Love

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 1, 11 2:13 AM
peglegann wrote:
sassylassie wrote:
shadowfax44 wrote:I played this beta a while back and it looked really good! Great graphics and very good HOG scenes with many active areas to search and wander amongst. I can't wait to finish playing this one...

Well if my friend says it's good it's definitely worth the download. And I downloaded it and the graphics rock! Definitely a purchase here. Doh! Just read this is the next one in the series Murder Amongst Friends, definite purchase. I can see the hidden objects no problem on my laptop that has a 16.9 inch screen or my 22 inch desktop screen.

I will change my review a little. As you get further into the game, the graphics are a lot better but I am still cross with the hand holding sparkles! LOL!
Have a nice day.

Welcome back Goofy!

Hey my friend,

When will they realize we are old vets at these games by now and we don't need the hand holding. I can't agree with you more. That we are at the point of clicking an object knowing it's in the list without even looking at the list. Hence to say your horseshoes, butterflies, crowbars, screwdrivers, and the list continues lol. Yes you are so so right! Geez

Edited on 05/01/2011 at 2:25:55 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Chronicles: Betrayals of Love

[Post New]by nomatt on May 1, 11 2:19 AM
Played less than 10 minutes and the sparkles drove me off it. If you have to find, say, 12 of something, then each new scene you go to has sparkles on these objects right away! What is the point of that? How disappointing that developers still think we are morons who cannot do the simplest thing without being shown. I would have loved this game but it might as well have a 'finished' button to save all the pointless clicking. Oh for a grown up game.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 1, 11 2:25 AM
Welcome Home Goofy

Initially I was pleased to see that there was a murder to solve and a missing husband to find but as I played the game just didn't grab me and say "you must find out what happened to them" and I don't know why as I love wandering about finding things .

The graphics are reasonable but I did find some of the objects hard to find and I used a few hints because I didn't have the inclination to bother looking any more ... hint recharge is approximately 50 seconds. ROTFLMFO I thought the trumpet was a fork (I didn't notice the bit the other side of the gate bar) so perhaps I had better get myself some .

In each location you go to items/areas of interest are highlighted by a single sparkle so it is impossible to overlook anything ... in an ideal world there would be two modes of play ... with and without them.

The minigames I have come across are not among my favourites and I skipped the moving one piece with another piece ones, the wait to skip a puzzle is about a minute.

Sorry devs I do not appear to have any patience this morning ... I must have got out of bed the wrong side or something ... so while your game is OK it is just not for me.

Cherb

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on May 1, 11 2:27 AM
Tried it till the end of the trial! Don't quite like it, the story is interesting, the puzzle are fun but i don't like the graphics look hand-drawn. I think there're too many HOG scenes...

NO BUY for me!

[Post New]by Streifenbarbe on May 1, 11 2:31 AM
Welcome back, Goofy, I realy missed your reviews.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on May 1, 11 2:38 AM
Review-wise it has all pretty much been covered and very well I might add! ! I enjoyed the 23 minutes that I played and am very much looking forward to getting back to the game. It is a buy for me, but that will have to be later on today as it is verrry late here or very early depending on your point of view . All I can say is that I had no Tech. problems with the game and found it (imo) definitely worth keeping. Thanks and Devs for another great game!

Happy May Day Everyone and Happy Gaming

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on May 1, 11 2:46 AM
Devs: Lazy Turtle, Options: Sliders for Music/Sound. Other Options: 3D Mode, Fullscreen, Widescreen, Custom Cursor. Artwork: Cartoon cut scenes which can be skipped, Clear in most scenes, hazy towards the back of others, especially H0 scenes, which may make it difficult for some to see objects hidden in the background. You can also opt not to have the ‘Help Screens (tutorial)’ I chose NO but there is a small sparkle (or glint) to guide you (which is no bad thing as some of the objects (pieces of paper etc) to be picked up are not noticeable at all!) Usual Cursor changes, Hand, Magnifying glass, footsteps etc.

Story premise: Set in France in 1903, A Countess has been murdered, the Count is missing(??). You are helping local police ‘solve the crime’. This is a H0G adventure with interaction and puzzles. Certain objects from H0 scenes go into your inventory to use (either immediately or somewhere else)

Hidden Object Scenes - Messy or cluttered depending on your point of view. Some objects ‘cleverly’ hidden (almost to the point of invisibility) but the hint recharges quickly (less than a minute). Overclick Penalty: After about 8 mis-clicks the cursor does a ‘loop the loop’ in the middle of the screen. I had to laugh at the first H0 scene, the Inspector asks you to help him ‘find the key to the gate‘, as his ‘Vision isn’t what it once was’. Neither was mine after trying to find some of the ‘cleverly hidden objects!’ but they did seem to become easier to find as my eyes adjusted to the H0 scene itself.

You also have a Diary to keep track of your progress, and any suspects, and you can click on any character standing in the scene to talk with them. You should do this as it sometimes triggers a H0 scene. The Puzzles I encountered were different, and do need thinking about. Some of them are very clever, and there is an option to skip them (if you want to).

I started again with a different profile, and the H0 scenes did have different objects to find, except for the ones you use. (Gripe 1903! MODERN Soccer Ball!)

I did want to check out the walkthrough to get some idea of length, but it isn’t up yet, so I suggest packing plenty of sneakers anyway. I find I am intrigued enough by this one to probably use a game credit on it.

Kel

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on May 1, 11 3:19 AM
O.k. No review here as that has been done nicely and accurately
already..just a couple of observations:

You need to "help" (definition: do all the work) for the nearsighted
policeman who stands around. His helpful suggestion: clean up
crime scene BEFORE investigating..

Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poiroit would have something to say
about that!!

And where are the servants? Shame on them for allowing those flies
to propogate!

I wish once you were done reading something or doing something
it didn't allow you to keep looking at that same spot or object. Makes
me think that I've missed something.

I do like the puzzles-they are different and fun.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on May 1, 11 3:32 AM
Welcome back Goofyduck - I have missed you & it is wonderful to get your in depth review

Kel- thanks; that was a really useful overview

ETA - having played the demo I will be buying this one; I love the hand drawn artwork even if the graphics are not so crisp in the background. The music is pleasant & not playing continuously, love the noises - the wind, the birds, etc. Wandering around finding useful items is a pleasure.

Always enjoy it when the objects are hard to find otherwise what is the point of playing a H0G. As others have said I could do with a few less sparkles, let me use my detective skills to find the items first & only sparkle if I ask for a hint please.

What a joy to get some different mini games from the run of the mill

Edited on 05/01/2011 at 4:36:33 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 1, 11 3:33 AM
First of all, WELCOME BACK GOOFYDUCK!!! You were sorely missed. I can't belive how excited I was to spot your post today - I was just thinking yesterday that "Hey, it's after Easter, where's Goofy??" Mods, please excuse us for the next week or so as we go off-topic frequently to welcome her back. We know you missed her as much as we did, so I know you'll be understanding.

On the game, I understand what peglegann means about the graphics. They are very beautiful, but in the H0 scenes the foreground is crisp and clear, but the background is blurry - like a photograph that focused on the foreground. It's very effective and beautiful, but there are a lot of objects in the background that are very difficult to discern.

This isn't enough to stop me from buying the game - which I will as soon as I finish this post. The storyline is interesting, there are lots of scenes to visit and things to do, and I like collecting things that won't be used right away.

I do hope the walkthrough posts soon - I got the first minigame moving the furniture, and the 2nd moving the star, but I couldn't figure out the 3rd I encountered with moving the 2nd star. I'm just not that sharp at 6 in the morning!!

So, try it, you'll probably like it! And keep checking for the walkthrough by clicking on the "NEWS" button at the top of this page - when it posts, it will be right on top today.

Edited on 05/01/2011 at 3:35:21 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 1, 11 3:37 AM
peglegann wrote:
Rebeca_Lily wrote:I bought the game, because: 1) very intriguing plot; 2) no penalty for over clicks (yay).

In any other case, I wouldn't buy it: objects are much too small, and blended to the background (when searching for hacksaw, the hint gave me a fading rectangle???!!!)!!!
Why developers? Do you hate us?

Hint system is very good and helpful. Graphics are very good. Objects screens are overloaded with junk pile, and that doesn't ease my life...

Please try the game before you decide if to buy it - it's very personal decision...

Happy gaming!

LOL! You did not try hard enough, like I did, to to get the click penalty. As I said in my review, there is a swirling cursor. LOL! Enjoy the game and have fun

Oh my! I read your comment, and now I am hysterical!!! But I clicked quite a lot and there was not any swirling cursor... May be the simulator likes me...

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 1, 11 3:47 AM
[quote=Kelvarda

Story premise: Set in France in 1903, A Countess has been murdered, the Count is missing(??). You are helping local police ‘solve the crime’. This is a H0G adventure with interaction and puzzles. Certain objects from H0 scenes go into your inventory to use (either immediately or somewhere else)

Kel

You are absolutely right Kelvarda, it is set in France. My mistake was expecting the policeman to wear a kepi

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 1, 11 3:58 AM
jojo_the_joyful wrote:[quote=Kelvarda

Kel

You are absolutely right Kelvarda, it is set in France. My mistake was expecting the policeman to wear a kepi

Goodness! I am awful at noticing the story, most of the time, as i just enjoy the play of the game. The policeman, does not look like a French policeman but looking at his badge, to me he looks like an English Bobby.
Am I completely losing the plot?

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on May 1, 11 4:02 AM
No peglegann - you aren't - he looked like and English Bobby to me as well.

In one scene I was looking for a 'domino' LOL. Did wonder whether it was an actual domino or a mask again!!

Kel

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 1, 11 4:14 AM
Kelvarda wrote:No peglegann - you aren't - he looked like and English Bobby to me as well.

In one scene I was looking for a 'domino' LOL. Did wonder whether it was an actual domino or a mask again!!

Kel

I can go and unbook my place in the glasshouse. Phew! (Wiping brow) I also saw that mask in Voodoo, that was a domino! (My turn to follow you today) Tip toes out ......for now.........

[Post New]by candicain on May 1, 11 4:20 AM
Good morning to all,
I am at the part where I need to put the coin in the tube.
Where is the "tube"? Help! argh! I am enjoying this game.
Very challenging.

patjoy
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,880 Posts

[Post New]by patjoy on May 1, 11 4:47 AM
Not having too much trouble spotting items in **** scenes. Junkpile style but easily identifiable on my screen. Hint refills quickly. I haven't turned the music off so it must be ok. So far it's looking like a buy for me. I'll finish the trial and start out the new month with a new game to play. Yea!

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on May 1, 11 4:48 AM
This could have been a good game but it's so annoying to have everything handed to you (sparkles). What's the point of searching places when you're told where everything is? They should have had an advanced option. I got frustrated with all the help after 10 minutes.

Edited on 05/01/2011 at 4:48:37 AM PST

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on May 1, 11 5:00 AM
just popped in to check the reviews before downloading (Lazy I know but it is SundayLOL) and wanted to say thank you to all of you who have provided so much info re the game - and of course, to say -

Welcome Back Goofy duck good to see you back again

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on May 1, 11 5:13 AM
I loved the game, This one is a keeper,Loved the graphics and sounds..THx BF and DEV's you out done yourself's,,
Welcome back GoofyDuck, we all missed you and your reviews..
Happy Gaming Fishes!!

Go to: