unclewally
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Secret of Hildegards

[Post New]by unclewally on May 2, 11 3:07 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I will leave the reviews to the experts... you know who you are.

ETA: I will just add my two cents though at the advice of another esteemed IHOGger:

I tried this game and realized very quickly that it is a straight HOG and so not really my cup of any more. Maybe 3 or so years ago but not now. If I am wrong about this, feel free to jump in and correct me. This happens to me a lot because I am wrong a lot... so I am used to it.

Well this time you center punched it!! It's a straight H0 game and they don't do it for me anymore either. H0 scene after H0 scene puts me to sleep.
Unclewally

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Secret of Hildegards

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 2, 11 3:13 AM
Welcome to the forums unclewally!

Check out my thread: Chants, Rants and other Comments...

It's a daily thread where anything goes and we don't "clog up" the C&R thread with our "chatter" and "ranting". LOL

Edited on 05/02/2011 at 3:14:41 AM PST

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on May 2, 11 3:51 AM
It's funny, isn't it?
I remember a few years back devouring every plain Hidden Object game like a woman obsessed. I played them for the simple pleasure of 'finding the hidden objects'. Now, they tend to bore me to tears unless they're part of a greater game objective.

We gamers are never happy, are we? We always want 'bigger and better'.

Which is as it should be I suppose, otherwise the devs would never up their game.

Jo

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 2, 11 3:54 AM
@Jo

They made us this way Jo - when they developed and sold us the very first IHOG! We played one and there was "no going back"!

ETA: BTW, I was the same way several years ago Jo. I hunted down and played every HOG I could get my hands on. When there wasn't a new one out, I would replay one of the ones I already had. I loved them and, as you said, finding the objects and some simple mini games was enough for us. Now - they have us sold on the IHOGs and the straight, "old fashioned" HOGs seem boring. Ahhh... evolution!

Edited on 05/02/2011 at 3:58:16 AM PST

unicornone
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by unicornone on May 2, 11 4:16 AM
Was looking forward to a really good game but this is not the one to get fishies talking. The music will put you to sleep before the trial is over. The storyline is weak to the point of non existent and basically the play is a borefest. The one redeeming feature is the puzzles which stop it from being a complete yawn fest. Certainly not one I would buy or even want to play free. A game should be entertaining and exciting... both elements are missing from this one.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 2, 11 4:23 AM
I really enjoyed this game.
The music was as soothing as it was haunting, a very serene Celtic lullabye.
The hidden object scenes were well drawn, some a little challenging.
The puzzles were great. I only had to skip one because I just couldn't figure it out and didn't want to waste my whole demo time on it but when I play it again I will figure it out no matter how long it takes.
There wasn't much of a story to speak of but I'm a little tired of the contrived and ridiculous story lines out there in other games.
This one is a keeper.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 2, 11 4:25 AM
Sometimes, I like a simple straight HOG like this one - they are relaxing, and great for busy days with the kids because I don't have to keep remembering where I left off. I do have a few games "stacked up" still from the sale last month, though, so for now I'll put it in my "probably" pile and snap it up with a punch card credit on a slow day when there is nothing availbie except a TM or M3.

edited because I can't spell

Edited on 05/02/2011 at 4:25:51 AM PST

Nynaeve70
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by Nynaeve70 on May 2, 11 4:30 AM
It looked good at the beginning, but then no idea what to do once I reached the estate. Started a **** scene, but the hint button doesn't really show you where the object you are missing is. Unfortunately, not a buy for me.

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on May 2, 11 4:49 AM
Pretty basic stuff for someone just starting out on this gaming craze. Found it a little frustrating that no instructions were given for the mini games although most of them could be easily figured out. Not a buy for me.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on May 2, 11 4:51 AM
Not that bad of game for hog. Long game for me took time to look for items, some were really hard to see. Did not like no instructions with puzzles, although most were self explanatory. Really did not like the ending imo dumb ending.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 2, 11 4:58 AM
tehi wrote:Thank you Goofy and Kelvarda for great reviews

And thanks but no thanks to all the other reviewers ?

[Post New]by baglady159 on May 2, 11 5:11 AM
Wow...the dl is only 75,000 kb....really short game. Like or not, that's really short considering the last several games I've dl'ed have been over 300,000 kb... or was that mb? I can't get those straight so I'm playing the "too old to learn computer lengths" card.
Okay, someone explain to me the difference between kilobytes and megabytes cause obviously I don't know.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on May 2, 11 5:16 AM
Thanks, goofyduck for your great review. I was going to delete this game but after reading your review I played more and it wasn't so bad. Like you said it is a lazy day game to just relax with. I will save it for a day I don't need to pressure my brain. Again, thanks.

So glad you are back as I value your reviews. Most of the time our views agree.

bbelle

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 2, 11 5:20 AM
I think a megabyte is 1000 times bigger than a kilobyte.

However, it is not a great way to judge a game. This game is straight forward & simple & almost linear & with out any huge video files either.

In my 50 mins demo I was only just ready to go to the secret entrance, so I think this game is of a good length for what it offers.

Voice files & special effects ( sparklies) also add to the size of the file, so each application needs to be judged on its own merit.

HTH

Jojo

Kayen59
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Kayen59 on May 2, 11 5:36 AM
I played for about 20 minutes and found this game quite good actually. It is nice to have a simple little HOG for a change. Yeah some of the things are hard to find, but isnt that the whole idea of a HIDDEN OBJECT game??? The puzzles were quite easy to figure out even without instructions. Overall I find this game enjoyable and relaxing.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on May 2, 11 6:07 AM
Comments/Opinion:

While it's true that there's not much we haven't seen before, safe bet and relaxing is what I would label this one under, too.

Not so easy to have to phone it in on the searches. Varied mini games puzzles. It's not hard and that's why it is not stressful. Perfect for times I don't want to devote as much brain matter. It's a good replacement for those few minutes that I used to spend playing solitaire to me.

I guess that I have played so many annoying games because they had no skip button, long hint recharges, repetitive searches and a few same-same mini games that this one is a sight for sore eyes.

I got pretty far in the demo and I don't know how long the game is but, I will put this on my DD list.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on May 2, 11 6:39 AM
I can't believe how boring this game is. It has one after another hidden object scenes with not much else. No buy.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 2, 11 6:41 AM
Straight H0's are boring to me now. I have evolved.

Kudos to our Pres. Yes we can and yes we did.

Edited on 05/02/2011 at 6:43:34 AM PST

[Post New]by baglady159 on May 2, 11 6:45 AM
jojo_the_joyful wrote:I think a megabyte is 1000 times bigger than a kilobyte.

However, it is not a great way to judge a game. This game is straight forward & simple & almost linear & with out any huge video files either.

In my 50 mins demo I was only just ready to go to the secret entrance, so I think this game is of a good length for what it offers.

Voice files & special effects ( sparklies) also add to the size of the file, so each application needs to be judged on its own merit.

HTH

Jojo

Thanks Jojo, I appreciate the explantion. As you can tell I didn't realize what all went into the length or size of the games. This helps.

[Post New]by Bovary on May 2, 11 6:46 AM
Very poor effort - gave up after 40 minutes of the demo. No real story line, no explanations for puzzles and the HOG element suffers from poor English and badly drawn graphics. The English in particular is quite amusing (and frustrating!). In one scene, I searched for napkins for ages until I realised that the object was toilet paper! Same thing for flowers/plant and watch/clock confusion.
All in all, a very disappointing effort in a very competitive field. Will most definitely not be buying this game!

Go to: