DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 3, 11 1:05 AM
I lasted 13 minutes.
I liked the beautiful cut out card in the beginning but the rest of the game just wasn't my cup of tea.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on May 3, 11 1:05 AM
MOTION SICKNESS WARNING
Devs Solilab,(whose tm for hidden object Adventures is HdO) Options: Sliders for Music, Sound, Brightness and windowed mode. Artwork: Don’t be fooled by the delightful cut out pop-ups at the beginning. Mix of Cartoon type and Photography. The first thing you notice is ‘the motion’ when trying to enter your name! You also see a banner stating Extended Edition, and a greyed out ‘End of game Bonus’ There are NO voices only clickable dialogue.
To start playing: Click on Profile, Then the pencil, type in your name, then hit enter on keyboard or the Arrow at the bottom. Then click on the open pages for untimed, or the clock for a timed game. If you need the Help feature when the game opens click on the arrow (bottom RH corner) and it will ALL come up. Just follow the arrows! Here they suggest you change the brightness to maximum in your PC SETTINGS! I didn’t. You start the game with 3 clues, and more can be added by clicking on Stars that appear during game play this will raise it to 6 clues or extra time. Overclick Penalty: The screen will darken for a few seconds. The Objects can ONLY be picked when they appear in the list. And some of them are very small. Use the Magnifying glass at the side to ‘bring the screen closer’ There are also ‘very large 'glints’ and when clicked on parts of the ‘scenery’ disappears to reveal objects. When all the objects in the ‘list’ have been picked, ‘Follow the Rabbit‘! And find a rusty key and a turq Marble which went into the inventory. Then find 13 Dais(y-ies) 10 White Butterfl(y-lies) ‘5 Orange, 5 Blue etc. Puzzle Jigsaw - 6 square pieces to swap around! Find the Black Marble. Down the Rabbit Hole - More Motion here. I did another Puzzle, again another jigsaw (6 square pieces) but more complicated. They have to be spun, as well as moved. BUT not by your mouse, by two separate buttons at the side. 1 button to ‘spin’ the piece, and the other button to ‘swap’ the pieces.

I played another 15 minutes, looking for countless jars of Jam, and clicking on too many doors, and here I gave up. This is not a game for me. HdO - YOU must try harder! especially if you want me to buy your games

edited original post due to extra playing time.

Kel

Edited on 05/03/2011 at 7:15:27 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 3, 11 1:12 AM
Poodlebear wrote:... - are you hearing the collective cries of, "Noooo!" of you customers? Can't imagine what you're contract is with these folks but get your development team to teach 'em a thing or two or cut 'em loose.

I agree Poodlebear - I cannot imagine what that contract must be! These games are arguably the worst games offered on this site in recent memory. I can't believe these games past the muster to be offered on any game portal. (I guess I should also apologize if I offend anyone who likes these games. I am sorry.)

GameFan
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by GameFan on May 3, 11 1:22 AM
I recognized the Hdo syle and as others said gave the groan and sigh. But I have to admit that I got several good laughs at the reviews of those that tried it. Especially gpherder's review. Thanks again for a good laugh, the forum is certainly more entertaining than the game.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 3, 11 1:31 AM
Waiting for the rest of that goofyduck review!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 3, 11 1:34 AM
I'm afraid I'm going to have to give this game my worst review. The objects are so small and hard to find. What' the point when they make it impossible. It's true I'm not a fan of HdO games, but I always give a new game of there's a try, just in case they've listened to the players and improved them. But not in this one. There games are just impossilbe to play. I appreciate the hard work that goes into making a game. But another missed HdO game.

I rate this" PIG DOWN

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

Cazzle18
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by Cazzle18 on May 3, 11 1:36 AM
Can't we ban Hdo games at bigfish ...I personally fear for my sight !!x

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on May 3, 11 1:42 AM
Thanks Goofyduck for your review. Always informative and useful. As I've never played an HdO game, I didn't understand the negative reviews, but now I understand.

Thanks to everyone's comments, you've saved me time and hard drive space.

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on May 3, 11 1:48 AM
I absolutely agree with the other reviewers. HdO games are really awful. Just as I'm always excited when I see an ERS game, my heart always sinks a little when I see that HdO logo. I've never even made it through a one-hour demo of any of their games, they're so bad.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 3, 11 1:50 AM
after reading page one and briefly skimming others, all i can say is "CR@P!"

seriously... this is my favorite story of childhood and now i'm afraid to even open the d@mn game! so disappointed and i haven't even started yet....

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on May 3, 11 1:53 AM
Thank you, Goofyduck, for an unbiased review. I'm not familiar with the
dreaded HdO, so must also be unbiased. I love Lewis Carroll, so was
eager to check out "Alice." For one thing, it was too "hogish" for me,
and the objects were way too tiny for these ancient eyes, even with
bifocals. I had hopes of some creativity with the "down the rabbit hole"
scene. Alas! You have to click just a certain way before the game will
recognize it, often several times, though they have given stern warnings
about the dire penalties for over-clicking. I dislike having only a limited
number of hints for the entire game, although you can, before your
headache gets too bad, look for a "star" in the scene that promises an
extra hint--but only up to a total of six! I didn't have the sound on, and
didn't attempt the timed version. (Are they kidding?)
When I gave up, I still had 20 minutes left. I never did find all the
mushroom jelly.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on May 3, 11 2:02 AM
Sigh. I read some of the reviews while I was downloading, and thought 'Oh no - not another one!'

Anyhoo, I decided to be brave and give it a try. I lasted a whole two minutes, lol. The items to find are just too too tiny for me, and some were unrecognisable - at least to me.

@ Goofyduck - I applaud you for your excellent review, and almost it tempted me to try again, but only almost, lol. I also agree that the graphics using the old illustrations were very well done - and the music was nice too, but they were really the only good things about the gameplay.

So, I am adding my vote to the anti-HdO brigade - they just make too many poorly designed / playable games, imho.

Jen

ciscaR8
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by ciscaR8 on May 3, 11 2:34 AM
HDO games are always bad, and so is this one, objects are so tiny that yoou need glasses after you played this game,
so a big NO BUY for me

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on May 3, 11 2:52 AM
You do have a magnifier on the left side of the screen to enlarge the items but still this is one of the worst games let out to us suckers, spend money on this crap is not my cup of tea. Hope all of the month of flowers is not going to be like this I need a good game at least so far batting 000000000000000000000000.

[Post New]by salpolestick39 on May 3, 11 2:57 AM
i played it and i got to the wardrobe now seen to be ok i will let you all later on

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 3, 11 3:15 AM
well, i decided to attack this one... got the 22" monitor turned up to full sun and hit play...

i will say that one thing i like about this game is the zoom option in the hidden object scenes, because [frankly] you need it! just like playing the can you see what i see? games, it gets a little frustrating when the objects are so tiny you can hardly see them, but at least they give you the equipment to deal with it!

for those of you going: HdO??? this game is made in the style of the jack the ripper/jeckyll and hyde games released... in march??? where you find items as they come up on the screen and then locate a special item that goes into inventory for use later on... there are several jigsaw puzzles between scenes and a shoot/popper mini-game that are also reminiscent of those games... basically, it's all the same formula, just a different story to tell

the puzzles show original art from the alice in wonderland sketches that most of us know and love, so that part is actually kinda cool... what's not cool is the fact that there are so many of them as they are the only transition piece [for the most part] but, i stuck with it...

the graphics are... interesting to say the least... there is another scene like the main menu - when you fall down the rabbit hole - but you have to drag the scene around instead of it having freedom of movement... good thing 'cause i wasn't sure about handling the extra motion... got it done, though!

throughout the game the characters are shown from the sketches we grew up with... in all the dialogue scenes, puzzles, etc... if a character is represented, that's how they do it instead of relying on some guy in the art department to come up with something that 'sells' - for that, i applaud them... don't take a great thing and screw it up...

all in all, i was actually a little disappointed when the demo ended... especially after thinking this was just going to be one huge suckfest of a game... it's not the kind of game i would recommend to everyone, but i'm not going to totally dismiss it, either... after spending an hour with their alice, i'm starting to think that this company is growing in ways that i wasn't sure could happen... and i'm thinking this one deserves a second glance from those [like me] would so readily dismiss it as trashcan fodder...

going out on a limb, but i think HdO is ready for a second chance!

Frogmort
Manatee
Manatee
3,812 Posts

[Post New]by Frogmort on May 3, 11 3:45 AM
ember89 wrote:...going out on a limb, but i think HdO is ready for a second chance!
Glad you decided to look for yourself ember89!

I agree with you, this one is more imaginative than previous HdO offerings, and shouldn't be dismissed without a look. Also very nice handling of Alice story IMHO (in the demo so far).

A little young for me, so will probably wait for DD, but I liked it.

Longer review in Mac TGT thread for anyone interested/still of an open mind .

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on May 3, 11 3:48 AM
When I saw the screen shots, I knew it was an HdO game and almost didn't bother to try it. However, I'm an Alice fan from way back and reread the books probably once a year, so I gave it a go, determined not to turn green at the opening screen. Why this developer thinks a moving screen is a swell idea is beyond me. So, I lasted until the third "jigsaw" puzzle. I might have gone beyond, even though it is an HdO, and there are teensy wee objects that I have to use my magnifying glass to see, just because I like Alice, and the scenery was pretty good, but one of those stupid puzzles after every few H/O scenes? No way. Yes, this HdO game was worth a try, but like all the others, it's no buy.

BTW, developers, a turtle is not a "lizard."

Edited on 05/03/2011 at 3:49:48 AM PST

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on May 3, 11 3:55 AM
No, No, No, and NO! A thousand times no to HdO games. This game was just as bad as every other one I've seen. I didn't spend 5 minutes in the demo, and never will I shell out actual money for one of these cruddy wastes of time. Now let me tell you what I really think ;-).

Frogmort
Manatee
Manatee
3,812 Posts

[Post New]by Frogmort on May 3, 11 3:58 AM
jennsmom wrote:When I saw the screen shots, I knew it was an HdO game and almost didn't bother to try it. However, I'm an Alice fan from way back and reread the books probably once a year, so I gave it a go, determined not to turn green at the opening screen. Why this developer thinks a moving screen is a swell idea is beyond me. So, I lasted until the third "jigsaw" puzzle. I might have gone beyond, even though it is an HdO, and there are teensy wee objects that I have to use my magnifying glass to see, just because I like Alice, and the scenery was pretty good, but one of those stupid puzzles after every few H/O scenes? No way. Yes, this HdO game was worth a try, but like all the others, it's no buy.

BTW, developers, a turtle is not a "lizard."

BTW, subsequent puzzles are tile match, swatting game (not too fast even 4 me), slide blocks (can't remember exact order).

Several members have mentioned lizard v turtle - but it was a lizard for me: SPOILER mid/bottom centre of screen on zoom.

Go to: