equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Detective Agency 2: Banker's wife

[Post New]by equusjoy on May 4, 11 12:43 AM
I lasted 20 minutes before I ran out of the house and deleted. The constant pop-ups and the weird way the people "talk" to each other was, to me, very irritating. I am sure there will be many people who will like this game and I hope they have a good time with it. Me, I will keep waiting for something good. ERS has three great looking games that are due out "soon" and I can't wait!!

Joy

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on May 4, 11 12:52 AM
i played the game for 32 minutes and i deleted. i agree that the scenes were crisp but some items were just so tiny had to use hints to find. i also hated the tutorial it was way too hand holding for me and didn't seem like it was ending. the mini game scenes sparkle so you know where they are. i didn't care for the way you had to read the story, you click your mouse when one person is done and then click again when next person is done.

pros: scenes were crisp and clear
music: not too bad, i didn't turn my sound down lol.
hints: there are 2 types of hints, one shows the silhouette and the other is a regular hint and they do recharge quickly.

cons: the way you have to read the story
most items were very tiny
too hand holdy

sorry this game is just not my cup of tea

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 4, 11 12:55 AM
For those who are waiting for the walkthrough, there is another thread that says there is a problem getting it posted, but they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Just cick the NEWS tab at the top of this page once in a while to see if it is posted - it will be the one on top today (May 4th.)

I'm going to bed - it's nearly 4:00 a.m. here! Have fun!

ETA: Congratulations, dobbiemijnboekje! Clownfishes are nice - think Nemo!

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 1:03:13 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on May 4, 11 12:55 AM
This is my last post as a Parrotfish. And I am not happy because I love the fish.

This is not a bad game. I like it and the puzzles are not difficult. I played for 30 minutes and now I playing the other 30 minutes. Maybe it's a buy for me.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 4, 11 1:17 AM
OMG!!! when i saw the guy in the purple tee shirt, i remembered part one... oh, i really didn't like that one...

moreover, i mentioned in a thread just the other day that folks watching out for games by HdO should also look for gfi/Far Mills... this is them... i knew it immediately [having walked out during the initial load to grab something from the kitchen, i missed the logo popping up] all i had to see was that little dude in the purple tee shirt and... it all came flashing back to me! no, don't go into the light....

but since i have to know just how good or bad it really is, i will go back and play... but i wanted to apologize to everyone... just in case it was my mention that brought them back... i really hope they've grown, however...

back with more 'comments' later... maybe even a review...

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 4, 11 1:20 AM
The Good: The graphics are bright and colorful . The hidden object scenes are a lot of fun.

The Bad: The puzzles were really time consuming, the instructions were confusing as if a bad transalation (removed by moderator).

The Ugly: The screen went black a few times and I got stuck in the greenhouse. Went back and forth from the living room to greenhouse to outside but couldn't go anywhere else. Couldn't get back to the map.

Verdict: Not my cup of tea.

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 10:31:43 AM PST

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on May 4, 11 1:24 AM
Found this game to be very annoying. Disliked the dialogues boxes popping up the time. A No Buy for me.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 4, 11 1:40 AM
In minority, but quite satisfied with the game. Usually I don't see small objects, but the developers picked medium size objects which were viewable.

It's not an Adventure HOG, but it's for sure Interaction HOG with Adventure moves (you have to find object in one room in order to use it in another room). In the screen itself you have many "red" objects (demanding interaction).

If you click on an object in the list, you can see it's shape in the hint screen, and it's given in the pose it lies - another help.

Well, it's not ERS (I wish all of the games were, lol), but it's a little bright-screen amusement for a rainy day.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 1:40:59 AM PST

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on May 4, 11 1:58 AM
Thank you goofy duck, came to the Forum to check it was not anotherHdO before downloading Not my usual practice,( I like to make my own mind up ) and saw quite a lot of negativity, so started to think I wouldn't bother. However felt your review was fair and unbiased so have decided to give it a go,as usual . Will see if it is for me .

senji
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by senji on May 4, 11 2:08 AM
Hi, don't usually have much to say but i deleted this game in 5 mins , had the creator been near me i may have strangled him. I think this was the worst beginning to a game I have had yet,hand holding where not needed and confusion where you needed a clearer understanding, i tried to do what they said but everytime i clicked for something, a bubble would come up and tell me i needed to do something unclear, check the address against one in notebook, noooo check it on house high up, no doornob, ok enough said dont need it popping up every second, good luck with this one!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 4, 11 2:24 AM
a follow up to my earlier post [now that i've got the demo under my belt ]... gfi/farmills is an eastern european newbie - only putting out games in the past couple of years, i think... and as i warned, i got

this game bears every resemblance to its predecessor, and i mean every... the characters that appeared in one, are the same in two... but thankfully we don't have to see that guy whose capital vice is chain-smoking

the story here is that the banker's wife is missing - and when she is later found with little explanation, her banker husband has the detective follow her... at one point, you find out that her real name is something different than has been assumed and it made me wonder just what is she up to?

thought it was typical, given translation difficulties, that a chandelier and a candelabra got confused, but what ended up being particularly confusing to me was the scene in the hotel - the concierge sees everything you do and says 'don't touch anything,' every time you move, but somehow you're able to set off a fire alarm which is practically behind the desk - ???

anyway, as has been mentioned the characters are cut-outs and the dialogue is long and silent, but totally skippable... the graphics aren't the cat's pajamas, but they work for this series... the load time between scenes is a little... well, let's just say i thought my computer had frozen more than a couple of times and the sound/music are independently controlled in the options menu so you can turn it down as far as you want if it gets annoying...

personally, getting through this demo was complete drudgery for me, but i wanted to make sure i had given these guys the full benefit of the doubt... unfortunately, i'm thinking this one was done either side by side with the first or very soon after, because i have seen better efforts from them in recent months... don't know why this is coming to us now, but i am not in with the know-all, see-all fishies at the top of this food chain... i can only say what i see...

in the meantime, i will encourage folks to take a look at some of the soft releases from this past month - you might find something you'll enjoy there!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 4, 11 2:26 AM
I think this game is o.k. Does it have bells and whistles? No. But over all it's a nice littel hog. The graphics are good and I think the story keeps you interested enough. I will get this game with a punch card or at dd or cotw. I wouldn't pay full price. But I would like to add it to my collection. Definitely give this game a try. You might be surprised.

I'd rate this: PIGLET

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)
p.s. I always have to edit for spelling. lol

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 2:28:52 AM PST

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on May 4, 11 2:42 AM
Devs: gfi/Far Mills. Options: Music, Sound, Fullscreen. I found music very annoying so had to turn it down, and there is NO Custom Cursor option, I did find the cursor to be more than a little wayward at times, and very 'clunky'. Artwork: Cartoon type cut scenes, H0 scenes quite clear but ‘a lot going on!’ Some items VERY tiny. No Voices, dialogue between people is clickable ‘at your pace’. The Hand holding tutorial cannot be skipped and it annoys me when you are compelled to use a hint during the tutorial. Fortunately it only takes about 30 seconds to recharge.

Story: Had not become clear during my short time of play during the demo.

This is a H0G with slight interaction interspaced with ‘Puzzles‘. First puzzle 'Guess the colour combination to open the safe' When you have guessed the correct colour it is hilighted so you can move to the next colour!!! Objects to be found or used are shown in red writing. You have a briefcase for ‘useful’ items, and a notebook for the lists. Switch between the two by clicking on their buttons. You also carry a PDA for Hints. Clicking on an item in the list will show an outline of the object your looking for, and clicking on the Beige button at the side will show the object on screen with a sparkling circle. The Cursor changes to the usual Magnifying glass, hand, open door (exit) etc. There is NO over click penalty and the hint recharges fairly quickly, but when you use it to try and solve something, it’s no help at all. Eg. You have to ‘move a cat’ but clicking on the hint only shows the cat, not what you need to collect in order to move it!

There is a Map to move around during gameplay, but I would think this is a 'You can only go where you are told' eg. Click on James Office to start, then click on Mr Bensons House to go there.

I found this game quite frustrating as you can only move around in a set way, trying to complete a H0 scene before you have done other things is a ‘no-no’. The constant pop-ups are a 'pain in the neck' and the Hint is no help at all unless you are looking for a hidden object, The frequent clicking between the Notebook and the briefcase is also extremely irritating and the 2 puzzles I encountered were very simple and childish, and this game does NOT have any replay value, as I started it 3 times (3 profiles) and searched for exactly the same objects in each scene every time. Not one for me - roll on tomorrows CE!

Kel

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 3:07:56 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 4, 11 3:18 AM
Great review Goofyduck but I have one comment to make:

The cat hanging from the chandelier in Snarkbusters 2 is pretty funny!!

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on May 4, 11 3:33 AM
My first rule for HOGs: no hiding objects by making them teeny. Also, I prefer to concentrate on the object list and get it done, not being interrupted all the time. I agree with the dialogues being a bit disturbing in their actions.

Then, when it locked up while I was trying to play the key game, I exited (alt+ctrl+del) and am deleting the game.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on May 4, 11 3:38 AM
I'm torn with this game. It's perhaps not up to the standards of some but it really isn't as bad as some people seem to think (IMHO anyway). Yes, it's annoying with all the pop-ups and not being able to skip the tutorial and the items can be very small but actually, they are also pretty clear even though tiny (and my eyesight is terrible )

I think people should at least finish the trial before writing it off. Saying it's dreadful when you have only played 5 or 15 mins seems a bit premature. I found myself enjoying it more once I'd played it for a few scenes and began to understand the way the game workes.

For me, it's a playable game and I might well buy it at some stage when I've got a spare Bonus Card voucher.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 4, 11 4:04 AM
janspack wrote:I'm torn with this game. It's perhaps not up to the standards of some but it really isn't as bad as some people seem to think (IMHO anyway). Yes, it's annoying with all the pop-ups and not being able to skip the tutorial and the items can be very small but actually, they are also pretty clear even though tiny (and my eyesight is terrible )
I think people should at least finish the trial before writing it off. Saying it's dreadful when you have only played 5 or 15 mins seems a bit premature. I found myself enjoying it more once I'd played it for a few scenes and began to understand the way the game workes.
For me, it's a playable game and I might well buy it at some stage when I've got a spare Bonus Card voucher.

I have been reading comments, in between working. I have only managed to play 16 minutes of this, while I was waiting for some offices here to open.
I FULLY agree with your comment on spending more time on demoing a game, than some fishies do. I have even encouraged others to try some games for longer and we have all ended up buying them! This is not a criticism of anyone. Just sometimes, some games are worth trying for the whole demo. LOL! THIS ONE CERTAINLY could be one of those.

[Post New]by heatherington on May 4, 11 4:23 AM
I gave it five minutes and uninstalled. It would not have been a bad little game if they had not prevented me from doing what I wanted to do. They gave you a list but then would not let you find anything on it until you did this and this and this and this. They walked me through a tutorial which I HATE! Then when I got to the front door of the house they made me check the address! Then I had to knock on the door! and there was no knocker! That's when I lost patience.

Ok stupid game developer.

1. We do not need tutorials to play a simple hidden object game.
2. We do not EVER want to be forced to step through those sad little tutorials.
3. Do not present a list of hidden objects to find, if we are not allowed to simply find them. BEFORE presenting the list have us do whatever it is that is necessary then give us the list.

By doing it the way you did you succeeded in making me very angry with you.

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 4:25:02 AM PST

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on May 4, 11 5:21 AM
This is a no for me. I dislike the flat, sliding characters, also found the convo boring, scene transitions seemed slow and I ended up frozen after visiting the antique dealer. Keepin my credits.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on May 4, 11 5:30 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:This is my last post as a Parrotfish. And I am not happy because I love the fish.

This is not a bad game. I like it and the puzzles are not difficult. I played for 30 minutes and now I playing the other 30 minutes. Maybe it's a buy for me.

I, too, mourned my Parrotfish passing. But you will find that you will be a clown for a good long time so, you'll learn to love that, too....

Go to: