ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dragon Keeper

[Post New]by ember89 on May 5, 11 4:39 AM
well, i thought this one was particularly cute... especially with all the baby dragon noises and the "yo!" that denoted a party of heroes was approaching

early on, i made sure to make what jewelry items i could and sell off the extra gems that i wasn't collecting for the dragon... cash on hand is best, as they say! and i added to my little village in the cave whenever i could... grabbed two imps when they became available because i knew they were going to be my demolition team for a bit making room for more money Makers

the shop was an interesting add-on later... letting you purchase actual upgrades with all those life essences you had collected... nice! and what is great about the upgrades is that they pretty much 'across the board' - so if you upgrade your meat, it covers ALL your food racks, not just one... likewise with the treasure chests, imps, trolls, etc...

the clicking can get a little maddening when you go off to fight the invading heroes and in the meantime, everyone's hungry and there are gems all over the place! but i was having a blast with it and think it's a keeper!

happy dragon keeping!

[Post New]by subgeniuschick on May 5, 11 6:59 AM
ojennifer wrote:I bought this game because it is cute, and fun. I liked the Magic Flower games and this is similar. My only problem was how short the game was. There are only 4 or 5 caves, and it seemed that I was done in no time at all.

I hope there is another one in the works. Maybe longer.

Down with HOG's!!!

I was extremely bummed. I thought I was just getting started on the game at the fourth cave when the trial ran out - so I bought it. I played maybe 7 more minutes and finished the cave I was in ... and that's the end of the game!

Neat little game - way too short and not worth the money for that reason.

flekoun
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by flekoun on May 5, 11 8:04 AM
subgeniuschick wrote:
I was extremely bummed. I thought I was just getting started on the game at the fourth cave when the trial ran out - so I bought it. I played maybe 7 more minutes and finished the cave I was in ... and that's the end of the game!

It is definetely not possible to end this game after 1 hour. I played maybe for 6+ hours and I have a lot of time ahead to get expert on all caves and achieve all tropihes.

[Post New]by subgeniuschick on May 5, 11 8:07 AM
flekoun wrote:
subgeniuschick wrote:

It is definetely not possible to end this game after 1 hour. I played maybe for 6+ hours and I have a lot of time ahead to get expert on all caves and achieve all tropihes.

I did get expert - but I didn't bother w/ any trophies - total time maybe 90 min to finish.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 5, 11 12:20 PM
There's trophies to get?

I didn't notice that. Will have to investigate . ETA Now that I think about it, I did see it come up every so often, saying I got this or that award but I was focussing so hard on the gameplay that I haven't gone looking for a trophy room yet.

SubG, I would be frustrated to buy a game and finish less than an hour after buying too, but I would always want all the trophies and would count getting those as part of the gameplay time. Also, for a strategy game like this I would probably play again and try to do it in even fewer days. I am nowhere near finishing: Restarted cave 1 a few times to alter my strategy as I went along, then had to replay cave 2 to get expert (missed it by a couple of days first time). Now at start of cave 3.

I always play these games for longer than average because I am always a TM girl at heart and getting there isn't enough - have to get there in the absolute possible shortest time LOL.

Edited on 05/05/2011 at 12:27:52 PM PST

[Post New]by beasleybee on May 5, 11 12:58 PM
I really enjoyed this game but way way too short for the money. 3 hours and I have expert on all islands and all trophies. Not a lot of replay value so on balance I am regretting this purchase.

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on May 5, 11 1:49 PM

CathrineStar wrote:
Even pesky heroes invading your cave are not so frustrating like bugs in 5th gate. You still have to click on them but thanks to those "fireflies" you just need to ward off only the first one.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, CathrineStar, but once you have access to the shop later in the first cave, you can buy upgradable bodyguards who will beat the snot out of those invaders for you. I had four to six of them fully upgraded and all I had to do was pick up the loot that was dropped afterward. For those who are unaware, those blue balls of mana that are dropped by the invaders are used as currency in the shop, so remember to pick them all up.

Note: The shop is different than the place where you buy dragons, stuff (supplies) and creatures. The shop becomes available later on in the first cave, so keep picking up those mana balls that are dropped by the invaders. You'll need them later.

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on May 5, 11 2:03 PM
Daisy_May, flekoun, and TuffTadpoles - thanks all of you for the advice on how to sell the jewels. Going to try it again now.

Edited at the end of the trial to add - love it, buying it - gotta make more crowns!!

Edited on 05/05/2011 at 2:49:49 PM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 5, 11 6:17 PM
Glad you got it going Kamali . Since it turned out to be something you'd like, it would have been a shame to miss out because of a gap in the tutorial.

I just had a problem with a warning message which seemed to tell me that I hadn't filled up my food rack. 'Your food racks are quite empty! Do you really want to start next day?'. Of course, I didn't want to at first. I had no money, so I sold a couple things but I wasn't getting the button to fill the rack so I just started the day anyway.

Turned out I HAD already filled the only rack I had. I had a lot of dragons so I can only assume that the game thought I didn't have enough food for all my dragons, or maybe it expected me to have 2 racks by then, but I had one rack and a fully upgraded cook which was enough (no dragons starved). ETA That does seem to be what triggered that message (the game thinking I had too many dragons for one rack, because I got that message again) and this time I said don't start the day, bought a second rack and then started the day. Didn't get the message that time.

So for anyone else who gets that, the way round it seems to be to always fill the rack straight away at the end of the day. Then you will know you have done it, even if that message comes up. I suppose it may be worth considering buying an extra rack at that point depending on whether you think filling whatever racks you have is enough, but you can just tell it to start the day regardless if you think you have enough already. ETA That's what I would have done if I hadn't been curious about whether a second rack would make it go away. It's as if the programming for that message doesn't take into account whether you have a cook as well as filled rack(s).

If you don't feed soon enough and a dragon dies, at the start of the next day there is an egg of that colour sitting on its nest waiting to be smashed open so you start from the beginner level of dragon again. I haven't noticed whether the game charges for it or not.

Edited on 05/05/2011 at 6:46:30 PM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on May 5, 11 7:39 PM
I always wanted to raise dragons and now I can. Delightful game. Enjoyable graphics and I love the "evil" adventurers. Too cute.

This game is an A.

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on May 6, 11 12:33 AM
Such a cute and fun lil' game, and yet so very short. I honestly expected there to be a lot of replay value but alas, there isn't. Expert on all five island which leaves nothing more to do but two achievements that I missed.
I'm glad I used a game coupon and didn't actually buy it otherwise I'd have been very disappointed. I was looking for another TM game to fill in a few extra hours/days/weeks like the farm frenzy games, this isn't it.

But at the end of the day, a cute and very entertaining game, just such a shame about the length of it.

wyrd44
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by wyrd44 on May 6, 11 1:12 AM
grt game....only a cpl of whinges, a help button and a exit button at cave level would have helped, as i had to use task manager to close out of the game, quickly and couldnt find a exit button. any suggestions for being able to replay a chapter as in chaper 2 i finished cave on day 21, so thought i could replay, it offers to replay, but goes to day 22 as soon as it opens. any thoughts...is anyone else having this glitch. thanks in advance

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on May 6, 11 1:31 AM
wyrd44 wrote:grt game....only a cpl of whinges, a help button and a exit button at cave level would have helped, as i had to use task manager to close out of the game, quickly and couldnt find a exit button. any suggestions for being able to replay a chapter as in chaper 2 i finished cave on day 21, so thought i could replay, it offers to replay, but goes to day 22 as soon as it opens. any thoughts...is anyone else having this glitch. thanks in advance

The exit button is up at the top left in the cave, it sort of hangs of the thing at the very top and it's a sort of curly left pointing arrow (like the one on the 'enter' key of a keyboard).

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on May 6, 11 1:31 AM
Cute game but too short and too easy. it might be a good game for kids.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 6, 11 7:21 AM
wyrd44 wrote:grt game....only a cpl of whinges, a help button and a exit button at cave level would have helped, as i had to use task manager to close out of the game, quickly and couldnt find a exit button. any suggestions for being able to replay a chapter as in chaper 2 i finished cave on day 21, so thought i could replay, it offers to replay, but goes to day 22 as soon as it opens. any thoughts...is anyone else having this glitch. thanks in advance

I had no trouble replaying a cave but someone else asked the same question in the thread called Replaying Game to get reach Expert Levels and got an answer there which worked for them.

[Post New]by ataraxic on May 6, 11 11:52 AM
I really enjoyed this game! It was very similar to Magic Farm, which I also got a ton of enjoyment out of. I also recognized the sounds from King's Smith 1 & 2.

The only downside was that it wasn't long enough! Anxiously awaiting a more complex and involved sequel (more levels, or islands, or tasks to complete in each section)

maarja0
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by maarja0 on May 6, 11 12:01 PM
I liked the game, good ideas and nicely made. After one hour of trial, I bought it. The only thing I don't like was that the game was really short - lasted only a couple of hours (one evening and then an hour or so on the next day). That was quite disappointing, because for the same price, I have also bought games from BFG that lasted for weeks... So, I wouldn't suggest buying it.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on May 6, 11 4:44 PM

When in doubt how to exit a game press the 'Esc' keyboard option.

Level 2 replay sometimes doesn't work. I completed all caves then went back and replayed the game and achieved Expert on all levels.

An excellent strategy is to sell all gems not used in making jewellery, except those you need for the current dragon demand. Buying another storage chest if you have the loot is a must.

The easiest way to achieve Expert on all levels is to employ a cave clearing creature so you can have at minimum, 2 upgraded dragons of each colour, then advanced gem shapes are easily available. 2 upgraded food racks eliminates any worries about food.

[Post New]by StealthBunny25 on May 6, 11 5:53 PM
Adorable game with lots of hidden secrets - love clicking on things and finding out hey! that was worth stuff!

Waaaaay too short. Needed about five or so more caves to make it a solid game.

I also wished that each "day" was about a minute longer. I would just be getting into the rhythm of things when it would be ending. I was glad they weren't ten minutes days, because then it gets tedious... but another minute or even 30 seconds would have been nice.

SnowNSew
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by SnowNSew on May 7, 11 8:10 AM
I downloaded this game as soon as I realized it was available. The Fifth Gate is one of my favorites, so I was really excited to see the comparisons. I have now played through the demo, and even though I am fairly versed in TM games, I struggled with some of the concepts - Somehow I missed the fact that to move forward in the game - not just the days - you had to complete the quests. Then, I could not figure out how to expand my cave. : igh:: Don't play a new game with a migraine - it is not productive! Except, it does extend the play time.

I agree that it would be nice if the days were extended a bit. This could even be done by increasing the time between jewels, feeding and beating off intruders - thus producing the same result, but increasing the time to get there. It does seem a bit frantic - and then you are done. It is very frustrating to finish the day with a ton of jewels left on the ground.

I really enjoyed the demo. (Even WITH the migraine) But, I cannot decide whether or not to purchase. The posts on the length of the game give me pause. I think I will wait to see if my daughter likes it first. That being said, I always feel that if I get a couple hours of entertainment from a game, it isn't money poorly spent. Even at $6.99, it is cheaper than a movie - and that is only good for 90 to 120 minutes at best. AND, I don't get to demo it before I decide to pay. That isn't to say that I don't appreciate LONGER play time, but a girl has to have a guideline.

Go to: