mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Dimensions: City of Fog Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mystine on May 12, 11 1:34 AM
And by the way click on everything...there are all sorts of little interactive surprises!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Dimensions: City of Fog Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 12, 11 1:40 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:Holding the place - I'll be back

Okey-dokey

ETA: I realized what you were doing and thought it very clever!! I wish I thought of that kind of stuff but noooooooooooooooooooo!! LOL

Edited on 05/12/2011 at 2:11:08 AM PST

Stariannah
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Stariannah on May 12, 11 1:47 AM
Copy and paste from other thread that was all by its lonesome here when I came in.

I'm too tired and grumpy to go into full detail, but here are some things I noticed. Does NOT fill my widescreen monitor. Boo! Demo rather short...finished sample in 41 minutes, and I'm NOT a fast player. Gorgeous graphics though. Wonderful voice acting. And I mean WONDERFUL. 99.999999% of the time, no matter how wonderful the voices are, they STILL sound like they're reading from a script. These voice actors really know what they're doing! Oh, and voices are NOT tied to the music slider. YAY!! Menu options include music and sound sliders, windowed or full screen (which didn't work on my system), and custom cursor. Interaction in most HOG scenes, but it's done a bit differently. I'm not sure I like it yet or not. Some items are disgustingly small or impossibly hidden, but others are in plain sight. Don't judge by the tutorial HOG scene. That one only has 4 objects, all, except the interactive one, are in plain sight. The other HOG scenes have like 12 objects, up to half of which require some interaction. Items to be found in regular scenes as well. Sometimes these are hard because the screen area is so small since the widescreen isn't utilized. So far, everything's pretty dark (it IS nighttime after all), but it's not impossibly so. Haven't run into any truly frightening creepy crawlies...yet...but then I've only played the demo. Forgot to check if guide was available in demo. But the button was there. There were a couple of moments I just about jumped out of my skin, which I could have kicked myself for because they were pretty obviously going to happen in retrospect. Little confusing transitioning from the video intro to the actual start of the game, but not too bad.

Bottom Line: Do I like it? I'm not salivating and having palpitations with desire for the game, but yeah, I think it's overall a good game. Will I buy it? Yeah, probably. Am I going to buy it now? Um...probably not. However, that is more due to the fact that I have 4 games I haven't finished yet as well as I have to pick up my new lenses this afternoon, at which time I will most likely no longer be able to see to play these games for a while. (Long story). So, this one's going on the very top of my "Buy Once I Can See Again" list.

Final Rating: 4 out of 5.

S.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on May 12, 11 1:48 AM
It's been a long few days since Raincliff, but it seems the wait paid off! So far (30 minutes (give or take), Dark Dimensions has all the pieces for a classic H0PA.

A century ago, Silvertown, Maine, was a quiet village, but then the fog rolled in. What happened here? Where did eveyone go? Now, 100 years later, we've got some investigating to do.

The options menu is pretty standard (sound, music, screen res., and cursor choice). I kept the speakers on for the beauty of the music and the realistic sound FX. I wouldn't call the coloring somber, but it does fit the storyline well--it's crisply and artistically done.

On to the hidden-object scenes--they're interactive like all get out! Some items are straight-forward, plain-in-your-face, while others require some work (find one item to use on another item to get the REAL item)! AND there are appropriate sound FX to go along with the interactions. The hint system re-ups quickly, but the mini-game Skip bar takes its time. One Mini-game so far--turn all the red lights blue in the gate lock--no small chore, even a bit frustrating.

I didn't try the Strategy Guide--other posters have noted that it's available for the demo--that's a definite plus! Game length? The D/L file size would promise several hours (for me, anyways!).

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 12, 11 2:20 AM
Will have to check my bank account to see if I can afford this lovely game before the end of the month! I don't remember a game where there was so much interaction needed in the hidden object scenes; some of the objects are so big you don't see them, others well hidden but not impossible to find. Came across 3 or 4 puzzles in the sample; the dice one was my favourite so far. Visually pleasing, musically evocative, interesting storyline...what's not to like about this game.

Got as far as the angel in the graveyard and immediately thought 'don't blink' (Dr Who fans will get the reference!). Hopefully my finances will let me buy this, today if possible

Edited to mention that someone posted it didn't fill widescreen monitor? I have one and it filled mine.

Edited on 05/12/2011 at 2:28:04 AM PST

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on May 12, 11 2:39 AM
I love the game but I am stuck on the mini game where the dice number one to six in red and green have to move from one side to the other, how do they move I have tried clicking the sides jumping over each other. Help please. I do not want it solved just how does one move them? You go though the arch way to the gate where the owl sits in the tree, go to the right up the steps to what looks like grave statues I solve the puzzle where the stepping stones come up so we can cross over zoom in the plaque on the status on the right and the game appears, but how to move the dice please.

Edited on 05/12/2011 at 2:41:54 AM PST

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on May 12, 11 2:41 AM
The graphics are very, very good - crisp and clear; the sound effects and music are good, and appropriate for the setting. The SG is accessible in the demo (upper left corner "Guide"), but it only shows the two chapters that are included in the demo; so there is no way to know what the entire game may comprise. The storyline is one that can get you involved; and, thankfully, there are no problems with the English. The voice acting was exceptionally good. I liked the journal that important information is stored in (lower left corner), including a map of the town. It is an interesting game, and the mini-games seem quite varied and imaginative (they do include a "skip" option), but I have not decided whether I will purchase this or wait for the SE. It took me 50 minutes to play the demo, but I did refer to the SG once, and skipped one puzzle; although I used no hints. Since I do not know how many chapters there are, it is impossible to gauge how long the entire game might (or might not) take to finish. I give it 3.5 stars out of 5. 1/2

Edited on 05/12/2011 at 2:47:38 AM PST

gailgo
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
43,711 Posts

[Post New]by gailgo on May 12, 11 2:58 AM
Poodlebear wrote:Wasn't there someone who went on a tirade recently about people saying, "Downloading now."? Anyway...

Downloading now.

Me too

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 12, 11 3:01 AM
Review Based On the Demo***spoiler alert***

the Good: the music was haunting and beautiful, the graphics were phenomenal in that they were clear and almost 3D, the Strategy Guide was easy to follow, the mini games had a skip button that I had to use for the dice puzzle, the story line was interesting, the hidden object scenes were great, especially when the objects required the player to be interactive.

the Bad: I couldn't figure out how to make the dice jump over each other in the mini puzzle as instructed in the help section. I had to skip that puzzle. the cursor stuck a few times for a few seconds

the Ugly: Well, for me personally I had the 3 coins for the jukebox but when I went to use them the jukebox only acknowledged 2 and I was stuck after that.

All in all this one is a keeper. It was fantastic.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on May 12, 11 3:22 AM
Comments on Demo Only:

I think this is a decent game and may well turn out to be pretty great.

Graphics were plenty good enough for me and they filled my WS Monitor.

I loved the voices and I appreciate the emotions added for the most part but half the lines sounded like they were reading to me rather than talking. So I'd say it was mixed.

The Story didn't get me involved yet. I can't put my finger on why. Maybe I just haven't gotten far enough in the demo time to do that.

The demo as a whole didn't grab me completely either but I really loved the H0 scenes! They are the best that I can remember. Interactions seemed much more of an integrated part with them rather than a few token throw ins. They were challenging. I agree with how others have mentioned that the hint didn't always give enough away but I guess in this instance, hint means hint. This may lead to a lot of frustration for me. I can't really predict. I suppose having the CE strategy guide probably wouldn't frustrate as much.

I also liked the puzzles. I did not skip any. There seemed to me to be a longer time to wait then seems normal now. I almost skipped the first one because I am terrible at those but because the skip took so long, I stumbled into it just before I could skip. Your mileage may vary and I am not exactly saying it is a really long time to skip. I just was waiting for that thing to move and it reminded me of the watched pot never boiling theory.

Nothing else of note to add. I'm going to buy the SE.

edited to bold something

edited again because I said it doesn't have a misclick penalty and others have found one.

Edited on 05/12/2011 at 6:57:48 AM PST

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on May 12, 11 3:23 AM
Enjoying the game very much. Like the new little twists on the Find Object Scenes. Im glad to see that the Ravens are back in the game. Makes me feel right at home like the old games used to be when I first started. Thanks to the developers and Big Fish for bringing this game to us.

[Post New]by Harlimom781 on May 12, 11 3:45 AM
The graphics are beautiful and I like the increased challenge with the hidden object scenes. I was becoming frustrated with the price of the Collector's Edition games and the lack of playing time and quality. I am glad to say that this game is well worth it!!! I was so disappointed in the Mystery Case 13th Skull that this makes up for it. Thank you for putting this game together.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 12, 11 3:48 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:Okay, another acronym lol - what's a HOPA?

It's a Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure Goofy and the best type of game in my book because you get the best of both worlds .

Well I can't remember the last time it happened but ... DH actually asked me to turn the music down ... yes I did say music . Anyway I thought that was a good point to stop and purchase the game as well as a spare pair of sneakers .

I also loved the little mouse in the hotel playing peek-a-boo behind the chest touch and the fact that if you tried to click on him he moved back quicker . The interactive bits in the hidden object scenes are great and make those scenes more interesting although I have found some of the objects take some looking for.

I have also found that some things are very area sensitive in that I have had to click a few times before things would take eg, the shovel and the fishing rod but especially the blankety blank rope . I must have clicked practically every mm of the and absolutely nothing apart from "THAT ONLY WORKS IN THE MOVIES" . I checked the SG to make sure I was right and that is where it said I had to use it so I persisted clicking here and there and everywhere and all of a sudden "HALLELULAH!" it worked and the opened. I have now got a sore wrist as well as a ballerina.

Spiritdog ... I have to agree with you about the juke box looking completely out of place even though it made a novel little puzzle.

Goofy ... I totally agree with your personal gripes.

I did remember to fast click in one of the H0 scenes to see what happened and the fog rolled in LOL.

I am doing something different this game and, instead of just blindly skipping puzzles like the dice, I wrote down the instructions and then used them to solve the puzzle in the hope that it would show my brain what to do the next time I come across one like it ... yes it is wishful thinking on my part but miracles have been known to happen .

DEVS ... please shoot or fire (your choice ) the employee who came up with the "that only works in the movies" line because it is increasingly annoying to be told that when you are actually clicking on the right thing but not the exact spot.

Apart from that I am enjoying the game .

Cherb

Edited on 05/12/2011 at 8:14:37 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 12, 11 3:57 AM
Good overall summaries of the game already written. I thought the graphics were very nicely done, music even relaxing for a spooky theme. What I like best are the interactive hogs which are lovely and fun to find and match up items. This should please some who find hogs boring maybe.

I played around with the puzzles (pretty) til the skip filled then passed, too long to figure them out on timed demo. Those with lights to stay on do frustrate me but usually I'd keep going and hit it by random, formula is longer than my short term memory re sequences. I don't mind skipping things to get on with finding more hog scenes but will give puzzles a shot anyway later.

I'll probably buy the CE version as I like (need) the SGuide handy for these types of games, a 2 sneaker one at least. There is a map of locations but I tend to get lost withinthe same locales or forget how to get back somewhere. But this buy will be on hold until I play 2 SGs and a CE I bought so far this month. (if I wait to do all my backlog that would take 6 mos ) Well, Raincliff will wait for a fix for some issues. Trying to not buy until I get my money's worth out of game, read that finishing.

Did not fill my laptop screen 17 inch widescreen. Don't understand why a few do then most won't. Will display better fullscreen on my older pc with normal 15in. screen so the games isn't reduced smaller like on the widescreen. Ran smoothly and fast on W7.

Will wait to see how many Help and tech posts come up. In the meantime, have fun exploring. Come back and tell us more.

How many towns have we scrubbed so far where everyone disappeared? Free the souls.

ps I didn't see many sparkles except the hog locations. Finding objects to match up you're on your own. Otherwise, it's just moving cursor around the scenes to see if it changes to indicate something to do there. But I do appreciate some help or I can doze off staring too long in a quandry.

Edited on 05/12/2011 at 4:02:50 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 12, 11 4:09 AM
This is a great ihog/adventure game. The graphic is very good, gameplay is superb, hog-scenes are clear and interactive, storyline is very interesting. Its a buy for me - as the CE

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 12, 11 4:34 AM
yvonnehoho wrote:I don't like the graphics, very unclear, perhaps my screen is too big, but I can see the pixels far too good (and I don't want to see them like this)

I don't know yet if I will buy it, normally I love CE's and bought a lot of them the last year, but now I will play the full hour

I have a larger widescreen monitor (desktop) and I don't see any pixelization of the graphics. They are nice and sharp for me, but since it is the "City of Fog" I did expect fog. There is actually less fog than I expected, but I don't see the unclear graphics that you mentioned. The graphics completely filled my monitor, and one other fishy mentioned that it did not fill hers.

I'm going to have to wait to buy this one, but only because I don't have the money for it yet (grumble grumble, kid in college, grumble grumble, he's moving apartments and needed a security deposit, grumble grumble, of course it has to come out of my bank account) but as soon as I can pay for it, this game will be mine!

It's interesting, it's different, and I love the interaction in the hidden object scenes. I'm a bit fuzzy on what the heck is going on in the game, but that's just me - I never seem to know what the heck is going on. I'm just happy that my brother, husband, boyfriend, son, professor, or grandfather didn't stumble on this town before I did, because now I only need to solve the secret of the town, not rescue another male member of the species that should have been GPS chipped at birth.

patjoy
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,880 Posts

[Post New]by patjoy on May 12, 11 5:16 AM
I'm happy with the game. Spooky, but not gory, lots of stuff to investigate. The interactive HOG scenes are different in a good way. It takes some thought to use found items. Love the music, not intrusive and sets the tone. This is a buy for me!

vsbash
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by vsbash on May 12, 11 5:34 AM
I thought Raincliff was gonna be a hard one to top but this one seems to be just as good (or at least pretty darned close). Althought I'm still waiting for a fix to the air ship game to finish Raincliff...

Great story line and the graphics are beautiful!! I love the interactive HOG scenes. After about 10 minutes I bought it. I do wish there was a hard option w/o the sparkles but if that's the only drawback to a game I can live with it!

Thanks BF!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on May 12, 11 5:42 AM
I think I just found my new favorite game.
Although there was no choice on mode of difficulty I found this one perfect. I loved the graphics and was very impressed with the Hidden Object scenes. Very interactive!! Some of the mini games were a bit much for me but that's my opinion. The skip button them takes long enough! The story was good with a mixture of reading and voice overs.
I got so engrossed that I didn't even think to check along the way with the guide to determine how long the game might be.
Definite buy for me. Love It!!

Finished demo in 45 min.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 12, 11 6:29 AM
I just received this game to beta test 2 days ago and loved it. I am surprised it came out so soon, but am doing the happy dance. Its a great game from the short amount of time I got to play it. Good graphics, lots of interaction, good puzzles and did not go from one hidden object scene to another

Go to: