Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Joy of Farming

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 18, 11 9:52 AM
I'm not the greatest player of time management games, I just manage well in My Kingdom for the Princess or Diner Dash. This one is about farming, apparently from the same producer that gave us that Farm Frenzy series.

I remember playing a FF, in which I had to trap lions, and I got Gold up to Level 5 or so and then was totally out of the picture.

Here you trap thieves in a cage, managed Gold on 2 levels (barely) and then I was more or less lost, although I played up to Level 6 and replayed earlier levels in the demo hour.

I figured you would unlock stuff and levels replayed would become easier since you have more help. Apparently that was not true, since it only added the left stall when I bought it, and left the shop or the warehouse unchanged. I guess I will have to unlock it extra like the tomato seeds.

And there we are with the beef I have with the game: The tutorial is crap.

So I upgraded my gardeners. What does that do? They get hats. Are they moving or digging any faster? Not that I noticed.

I upgraded that water barrel to a second level. The only change I noticed was that it now cost 26 instead of 15.

What are the benefits of a shop compared to a ? I guess I will never know...

The game is colourful, there's lots of things going on at once, and it's kinda cute. And I love the farming theme since I am an avid Farmville player. But since it's already hectic in the first few levels I don't even wanna imagine what stress it will become in later levels, and I have a feeling to grasp the nuances of gameplay I will have to do my doctorate in Business Admin...

dawnmid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by dawnmid on May 18, 11 3:01 PM
I don't usually post, but I had to after reading all of the reviews so far. I am an avid TM game player (I think I own them all) I bought this from Alawar when it was first released and it is one of my all time favorite games. It is also one of the most challenging I have played.
That said, some of the complaints are valid. There is a sharp learning curve, but once you figure it out, there is lots of strategy. I have gold on all levels after MANY hours of gameplay. The length of this game is outstanding, I actually felt I got my money's worth.
If you usually like TM games, I really suggest you give this a try for yourself and play the full hour demo. You may decide you like it.

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on May 18, 11 3:14 PM
Well it kept getting to me how hard it was to get gold, so ended up buying it. Real satisfaction when you figure out how to get something done.

Found out when you cage a thief, if you catch his bag in air it will give you an extra 25 points or dollars? to spend. So that really helps to get what you need.

This game really begins to grow on you and gets addictive!

SnowNSew
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by SnowNSew on May 18, 11 3:26 PM
efi24 wrote:I am so sad to read some of the comments here - give this game a chance - it has Alawar touch to it,

I had originally typed in something very similar to this. It makes me really sad to see all the negative comments about a game when I first check to see what people are thinking. No real reviews - just "I don't like this."

But, I am just stubborn enough to download and see for myself - and if they were all positive and a game genre I am not fond of - I might not have done so. For instance, I am NOT fond of farming games, so I likely would have given this one a pass.

AND, I also think several negative comments bring people out of the wood work that other wise might not post that they liked a game.

JMHO

Uzea
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

Love this game

[Post New]by Uzea on May 19, 11 2:13 AM
I love Tm games and this one is ok good, a bit hard to figure out in the beginning but it is always nice to be challenged but not if impossible:-) I love that it is different from most tm games nice one

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on May 19, 11 5:03 AM
if this is like FF then i may not be able to play..
i just can't keep up with caging all the people, animals etc.....
can someone tell me if the pace of this is slower or faster or the same as FF...
i like TM and farming but i can't get used to capturing things as i get easily confused with so much going on

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on May 19, 11 6:05 AM
efi24 wrote:Sorry but I think this game involves way too much strategy to suit kids.
I got a feeling that people here just enjoy winning about TM games without appreciating the ones that involve a bit more than just serving tables...

I don't think so, since you pointed an accusing finger, calling people whiners. Would you like to know how many TM games I own? Including all the FF games, all the Build a Lots, etc?

123 just from BF. This is a 2d straight across the screen game. So let me clue you in on something, that 5 year old and that 8 year old grandson of mine have played everyone of those 123 TM games and do great on them. They don't get stressed or frustrated. They don't worry about getting gold or silver. They don't think, they just play.

No one had to tell them how to make juice, or how to buy the new crops. So perhaps that's exactly what it takes is the mind of a child...

Just like I see the adults looking for a walkthrough for the Nancy Drew games. Yet, my now 10 and 11 year old granddaughters have played through every single one of them with no walkthrough. They/children don't give up, they keep playing till they figure it out. My 3 year old grandson, who just turned 3 plays Plants V Zombies all the time, as well as several other TM games.

Now the one year old is picking up the mouse to try and play. As well as the controllers for the game systems, and he won't be discouraged either. I really need to post some videos of these children playing these games, just to show people how wrong they are about children being incapable of playing these games. Seriously...

The 5 year old in Kindergarten wanted to learn to read so bad so he could play the Hidden Object games without us telling him what to look for. The word games, that he read 2 books a week and memorized how to spell every word in them. He's now in chapter reading books which his brother in 2nd grade reads; in Kindergarten. On top of reading the books they have for him at school. He asked for more books from us and his parents; not toys. Both the 5 year old and the 8 year old got straight A's this entire year. They didn't get them from us telling them what they can't do...especially when it comes to games. They did so by discovering what they can.

SnowNSew
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by SnowNSew on May 19, 11 7:39 AM
lisam63 wrote:if this is like FF then i may not be able to play..
i just can't keep up with caging all the people, animals etc.....
can someone tell me if the pace of this is slower or faster or the same as FF...
i like TM and farming but i can't get used to capturing things as i get easily confused with so much going on

I think you should give this one a try. To me, it has captured the charm of FF without the "frenzy." The clicking is easier because you know exactly WHERE you need to click. You do not have to click product as it is produced - the little elves put it in the storage shed. In my opinion, the thieves are MUCH easier to cage than the bears. The bears have always been my least favorite part. AND, you get the money immediately - you don't have to fill up your cart sending them off to be sold.

Happy Gaming!

SnowNSew
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by SnowNSew on May 19, 11 7:53 AM
FairyonPegasus wrote: that 5 year old and that 8 year old grandson of mine have played everyone of those 123 TM games and do great on them. They don't get stressed or frustrated. They don't worry about getting gold or silver. They don't think, they just play.

No one had to tell them how to make juice, or how to buy the new crops. So perhaps that's exactly what it takes is the mind of a child...

Just like I see the adults looking for a walkthrough for the Nancy Drew games. Yet, my now 10 and 11 year old granddaughters have played through every single one of them with no walkthrough. They/children don't give up, they keep playing till they figure it out. My 3 year old grandson, who just turned 3 plays Plants V Zombies all the time, as well as several other TM games.

Now the one year old is picking up the mouse to try and play. As well as the controllers for the game systems, and he won't be discouraged either. I really need to post some videos of these children playing these games, just to show people how wrong they are about children being incapable of playing these games. Seriously...

This makes me laugh! I remember my oldest playing reader rabbit . . . he just sat there . . . and . . . oh - for HOURS! the fun he had. My daughter LOVES the Nancy Drew games - they only frustrate me. Granted - she is in her 20s now. But those were the first she found that she actually enjoyed. It was hard to find "games for girls." We tried Kristi Yamaguchi and Barbie . . . and they were just silly! No fun at all. Now, thanks to Big Fish, we both find an abundance of games.

Sometimes I think the games need to be made easier for us old folks - not the yungins! Young people just seem to adapt to them much more easily. The only game that I can keep up with my kiddos is Rock Band.

That being said - there is a difference between a game a child can play and a child's game. Cuz, I kinda think, children can plan any of them! :: sigh :: Makes me feel old.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 19, 11 8:46 AM
ShazPG wrote:@Lucy1997, clicking on the bushes doesn't help catch the thieves any faster - you can just keep doing your stuff until the thieves shake the bushes and throw them away. Then you can catch them.

A few times, I bought the juice plant, but I couldn't tell it to make juice, even though there were carrots in storage waiting. Not sure what the deal is there.
Thanks for the tip on the bushes. I had read it before playing the demo & it was helpful because the tutorial does seem to suggest that you should click on the bush. On the OJ, I think you may not have had enough money yet. It costs 70 to make OJ and the carton does nothing when you click on it with less money available than that. I think it was shown less brightly to indicate not enough money too(?).

jojo_the_joyful wrote:I know it will be tough , but I also know I will get hours of play from it so it is also good value.
Same here. I expect it to be a buy from me eventually but.......
SnowNSew wrote:Must wait a bit on the shape of my game card before a decision will be made.
.......applies to me too. I'm sitting on 3 punches now and undecided whether to stop at that for this month because I was intending to take a month or two break from GC membership

SnowNSew wrote: I am just stubborn enough to download and see for myself - and if they were all positive and a game genre I am not fond of - I might not have done so. For instance, I am NOT fond of farming games, so I likely would have given this one a pass.

AND, I also think several negative comments bring people out of the wood work that other wise might not post that they liked a game.
LOL this is how I felt but I used the word contrary about myself. I rarely bother to post on the games which are already recognised as goodies and with this one I was going to add it to a list to demo later (much later) until I read how it was difficult to get gold and to work out what to do. Just had to try it after reading that .

LVKiva
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by LVKiva on May 19, 11 8:46 AM
It doesn't adapt to a left-handed mouse *sigh*. I used to buy some games even when they wouldn't switch - the Ranch Rushes, for example - but I'm not able to play quickly enough with my right hand, or remember to "opposite" with my left, and just got frustrated, so I decided no more - if game makers will not make their games available to left-handed gamers, then no buy. Too bad, this one looked good.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 19, 11 8:48 AM
kitty1 wrote:HoHum Three TM games in the last 2 weeks --three of them farming games-one a slight variation of Ranch Rush but not as long & this one a variation of Farm Frenzy, which in my opinion has been done to death Hate having to keep moving off task to click,click,click to cage the robbers. Artwork is cute & to be fair it might be fun for kids--the little elves are cute.

I would love to see more TM games that are not farms. (snip)
It didn't feel like Farm Frenzy to me at all (apart from caging the thieves). I would not have realised it was an Alawar game if I hadn't read that beforehand.

It doesn't even feel (to me) like the many other farming games out there, because most of those are won or lost on how quickly you can constantly click and this game doesn't seem to work that way. You direct proceedings but there is plenty of waiting between clicks (apart from the thieves *sigh*) and relative positions of growing areas, storeroom and machines on the scene matter time wise and access wise.

I expect this to be as strategy driven as Royal Envoy, because by the first tomato level you start to get to chose whether you want one or two gardeners or would rather spend your money on one upgraded one and can choose which of the two field locations to use first and so one. I am confident that the variety of possible strategies will increase as the levels get more complex.

Despite the farm setting, I would say that anyone who loved Royal Envoy (and can cope with clicking on the thieves here) may enjoy this too, once they take the time to figure it out. It is nothing like Royal Envoy in gameplay but it does have that same gameplay idea that the order in which things are done, and resources are managed, will be key to success. I don't know whether it is the same as Royal Envoy in being able to keep going after the silver timer runs out. Does anyone know what happens if you go past the silver timer?

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on May 19, 11 9:06 AM
I'm one that doesn't post much on review threads either, unless there are more negative reviews.

I enjoyed this one, despite it having a large learning curve. I have many levels that I have to work to get gold on already and I just played the demo, lol. I make sure to get silver though. I will have fun figuring out the strategy to get gold, just like Fruits Inc. My problem is I have so many games to play that many of them get left off of for awhile. I can do that with TM's since you don't have to worry as much about the story as you do in HOG's.

I haven't noticed a blurb that tells or shows what the upgrade will do (ie, like FF games showed that the machines would produce more product). I may have just missed it though. I will look when I purchase this one, whether it be soon, or next month.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 19, 11 9:08 AM
Laflamme wrote:(snip)
I figured you would unlock stuff and levels replayed would become easier since you have more help. Apparently that was not true, since it only added the left stall when I bought it, and left the shop or the warehouse unchanged. I guess I will have to unlock it extra like the tomato seeds.

And there we are with the beef I have with the game: The tutorial is crap.

So I upgraded my gardeners. What does that do? They get hats. Are they moving or digging any faster? Not that I noticed.

I upgraded that water barrel to a second level. The only change I noticed was that it now cost 26 instead of 15.

What are the benefits of a shop compared to a ? I guess I will never know...

I think one thing that could definitely have been made clearer is that the numbers on things are prices. At first I thought the 5 next to the carrot picture meant 5 carrots were available and I couldn't understand why I couldn't tell the gardener to plant 5 in a row. Then I spotted that could only buy 3 buckets of water to fill only the 3 shaded spaces under the water barrel and realised there was only one shaded place in the garden so could only use that to queue up 1 carrot to be planted. Eventually, I realised the 5 is the price of one carrot seed and the 70 on the juice carton is the cost of making one carton.

On upgrades, I stubbornly played the first juice machine level over and over until I finally got gold, and the demo ended just as I figured out how to get the tomatoes (I agree that the tutorial didn't seem to explain that, or maybe I missed it?), so I didn't get to try this in the demo, but.........

I believe that buying an upgrade in the shop will unlock it in the game but you still have to earn money to pay to make use of it during a level. I believe that will be why your gardeners weren't going any faster Laflamme (mine too!).

I am curious about the water barrel being more expensive after upgrade. I wonder if one barrel will do what 2 did before?

I am in danger of letting my curiosity getting the better of me and just jumping in and using a coupon on this today to keep playing and figure these things out but I will resist for 2 reasons. One is that I am playing the punchcard strategy game and the other is that this is clearly going to be a very long game for me, trying to get golds, and I have enough games on the go just now that I don't want to to start on another long absorbing TM one at the moment.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 19, 11 9:26 AM
I thought posted this (my own comments) before replying to others but it didn't go :

Yesterday I played about 15 mins and found it clunky and slow compared to what I am used to, especially how painfully slow service in the shop is. In the bit with the 2 gardeners I got fed up of the second gardener's loud sighs that he made until I provided a rope to allow him to work. It was bed time so I left it there.

Today I finished the demo and see the game totally differently now. If it wasn't for the high number of thieves, I would think it the developer's answer to those who like the idea of TM games, but find some of them too clicky, because it (so far) isn't a click fest (except when the thieves arrive, which upgraded cages should help will later on).

I now recognise that everything being done soooooo slowly is part of the challenge because your strategy has to take that into account. For example SPOILER ALERT in the first level with the juicing machine I passed the last item for sale to the shop a full 20 secs before the gold deadline and still missed it because it took so long for her to sell it. The next time I passed the last 3 items at least 40 secs before the end (maybe longer) and still missed it due to the time it takes the customers to arrive and the shop person to serve. Btw I was able to pass 3 things at once because I had bought the right side rack for the shop. Eventually I adapted my plan to allow for the slow workers/customers and I managed to get the gold in the end.

The slow workers will also make it important to choose the right upgrades to spend money on in future levels.

The side view is a bit different but it adds challenge because you have to consider the route a worker will have to to take to do something and how long that will take.

Cons so far IMO: Not so keen on the high of number of thieves but do need some of them for the money. Also, in Farm Frenzy you can go to the shop at any time to buy upgrades but in this one the shop seems to only be accessible when you start a level which needs you to buy something (but maybe that will be most levels? I don't know yet).

I expect to enjoy figuring out how to master it because it won't just be a case of doing things faster. It will need careful choices of what order to do them in and what upgrades to spend hard earned money on.

ETA AnnBy, now you mention it, I dont remember seeing blurb when I bought my upgrades in the shop either.

Edited on 05/19/2011 at 9:33:36 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 19, 11 9:33 AM
FairyonPegasus wrote:
efi24 wrote:Sorry but I think this game involves way too much strategy to suit kids.
I got a feeling that people here just enjoy winning about TM games without appreciating the ones that involve a bit more than just serving tables...

123 just from BF. This is a 2d straight across the screen game. So let me clue you in on something, that 5 year old and that 8 year old grandson of mine have played everyone of those 123 TM games and do great on them. They don't get stressed or frustrated. They don't worry about getting gold or silver. They don't think, they just play.

There are many games out there that can be played competitively or just for fun ( I beta's a great new one from Alawar today ) and that covers a whole specrum of needs and enjoyment.

FairyonPegasus, I don't don't know whether to be amazed or alarmed.

Your Grand children sound like very bright individuals, who obviously have a gift for learning and logical thinking. I can't do the Nancy Drew on easy, but my 13 year old sails through them. You sound very proud of them & rightly so.

The reason the alarm bells are ringing is if those boys have played all those TM games, that is an awful lot of time sat behind a computer when they could be out riding bikes, playing ball, nature trailing & generally doing healthier things for their age.

adr8p
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by adr8p on May 19, 11 12:36 PM
Mystic_cam wrote:
adr8p wrote:Hi, i'm on the level where u have to sell tomatoes (about level 5 or 6) as well as carrots, thing is i dont have tomato seeds just carrots and i dont know how to get them, if they are unlocked later in the game how do i complete this level to move on to the next in which they are unlocked??? help please

If you click on the fence in the bottom left panel you can upgrade the field (I think for 238 stars) by clicking on a triangular icon. This allows you to buy tomatoes.

I must be doing something wrong, i have 270 stars in the shop but still cannot upgrade the field on play screen, it doesnt light up so cant click on it.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 19, 11 1:00 PM
Hi, adr8p

The stars in the shop are what you buy the "blueprint " with.

In the game, to upgrade, you need good hard cash from either the robbers or the shop to purchase the upgrade.
HTH

Jojo

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on May 19, 11 1:01 PM
Another game that turned out to be far better than I thought at first. The graphics are kind of cutesy and so I thought this would be a no-challenge kids' game. The first level confirmed my opinion. But then....whoa .

In my opinion, this game is not so much about growing, but rather about the logistics. How many fields to buy, how soon to upgrade the fields, how many helpers to get and dividing produce up between processing plants and direct sell, all this on a tight time scale - very nicely done.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that there were several complaints when Farm Frenzy brought out yet another version of the same game. I was one of those that complained about this frequently because it made me so mad that this once great game is just rehashed. Joy of Farming, as previously mentioned as well, is a completely new version and a great one at that. It has enough aspects of Farm Frenzy but also added new components or changed existing ones, the result of which is a really good new game.

A definite pro is that it is challenging and that is busy all the time. Another pro is that strategy is involved. A big con is - as several others wrote as well - the extreme number of thieves. There is a whole lot of clicking involved with them and there are too many of them, they often disrupt gameplay too much. The first upgrade for the cage in which they are caught is quite cheap (60 coins), but the next upgrade is 6300 coins! As the first upgrade doesn't have much of an effect, one is stuck with clicking on thieves like crazy for a long time. Another con is that everybody walks so slowly, especially the girl in the shop.

Still, generally playing the demo was a lot of fun, time just flew and this is a definite buy for me.

[Post New]by ShineaYuki on May 19, 11 4:16 PM
Boing......

Played one minute and then I quit. Nothing new, but nice graphics. Won't buy it.

Go to: