skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for: Princess Isabella: Return of the Curse Collector's Edition

[Post New]by skr041300 on May 19, 11 3:58 AM
I am thirty minutes into the demo...the graphics are beautiful and I like the Disneyesque music and storyline. However, the game itself is disappointing. The hidden object scenes are very easy and the adventure itself and use of objects can be confusing at times. The fairy was irritating, but not a deal kill. I got used to her after a short while. I wanted to like this game so much (the first one was more enjoyable). It's a shame, because I understand that this game is very long so I was going to buy. Will wait to see the length of the SE and maybe purchase that. Will play the remaining 30 minutes and see if I change my mind.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for: Princess Isabella: Return of the Curse Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hawkboy7777 on May 19, 11 4:01 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:This game by developer GOGII is an iHOG, with a STORY of a missing baby and a tale of the journey to save it. OPTIONS are the norm, except for one I've not seen before: "Adjust Game For Slow Computers". I guess that is self-explanatory lol It fit my wide-screen monitor just fine. The music was, hmmm, interesting, some kind of juvenile, and some rather loud and spooky. The voice-over was mostly one character and extremely child-like which got a bit irritating after awhile. Lots of popups and dialogue.

The GRAPHICS are good, with a fantasy and fairytale atmosphere which means, IMO, not the clearest. WARNING: FLASHING WHITE LIGHTS - LOTS OF THEM. There is a NORMAL mode and an ADVANCED mode, with the usual differences, faster hints, tutorial, etc., for the normal. I didn't try the Advanced to see if "sparkles" were used - although this game didn't exactly use sparkles. The intro was 3-dimensional but in a animated cel format. WARNING: Intro may be disturbing to some players.

There are the usual things you find in an iHog, the arrows, magnifying glasses, etc. I'm not sure about how much running around I did, but it probably is a two-sneaker game. You pick up certain things along the way to "help" fight against other things - being vague here to avoid spoilers.

The H0 SCENES are pretty easy, about a 4 on my scale. The hint recharges at 30 seconds. Some were picking out things not on a list, and some on a list with a bit of interaction in some scenes. I didn't run across a click-penalty. There were locks to indicate areas you aren't you can't mess with.

The STRATEGY GUIDE was available during the sample. You had to click on written instructions in order to see the picture, and on arrows to get further details on each situation with which you needed help.

A fantasy tale with good graphics, easy H0 scenes, and a story that makes sense. I only played for 40 minutes, though because SPOILER: It directed me to the fountain on the right to use a transition potion on the tadpole. And the written hints indicated that it was there. But there was no tadpole in the fountain.

If you like fantasy, fairies, mystical atmosphere, evil spirits, etc., you'll probably like this iHOG. I am basing my comments on this game alone, without comparison to previous games in the series.

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on May 19, 11 4:13 AM
Did not like this game at all. The fairy's voice is so freakin' annoying.

[Post New]by heatherington on May 19, 11 4:21 AM
Dang, and I was hoping that everyone would be hoopin & hollerin over this game because I loved the first one so much. The first one was a classic. I can tell how good it was because I played it more than once, even more than twice. But this one didn't ever rate a "fine swine" from Miss Lisa. I'll post more after I play. I just want to be able to go into the gingerbread house.

salyandpepper
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by salyandpepper on May 19, 11 4:54 AM
Hi Maryel

Princess Isabella A witches Curse was the first one. If I remember rightly there were battles to be fought which drove me nuts and the fairy was annoying but still a reasonable game.

Thanks for the review Goofyduck, I always read yours as they are very accurate and fair. Keep em coming.

salyandpepper
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by salyandpepper on May 19, 11 4:54 AM
Hi Maryel

Princess Isabella A witches Curse was the first one. If I remember rightly there were battles to be fought which drove me nuts and the fairy was annoying but still a reasonable game.

Thanks for the review Goofyduck, I always read yours as they are very accurate and fair. Keep em coming.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 19, 11 4:54 AM
Great review, as usual, Goofy. As I previously said I really liked the 1st one and enjoyed the 20 minutes I played of this one. It looks pretty long. A buy for me. Graphics are good, didn't use a hint up to now, the only annoying thing (as in the first one) is the fairy's voice, it's so shrill and sugary at the same time, can't stand it so I turned the sound off. As in the first one you have to uncurse rooms and.............................................
A buy.

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on May 19, 11 5:00 AM
Hmmmm. I enjoyed the first one, even though I bought it by accident thinking it was something else. Stop sniggering at the back there - it's hard work being this dense.

The fairy was okay. I played in Advanced mode (there are no sparkles) and found it a bit slow and sticky in places, especially when the fairy was doing her thang, but that may be my laptop. The graphics were quite cartoony and it wasn't always immediately obvious what you had to do, which I don't mind. But I don't think I'll pay the CE price for it, because overall the story didn't intrigue me enough. I loved the creepy intro, though.

mombiss
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by mombiss on May 19, 11 5:07 AM
Has anybody noticed that in purchasing this CE, you can you two game credits. HURRAY! Thanks BFG.

ImLeza
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by ImLeza on May 19, 11 5:10 AM
I wanted so much to like this game, but I quit playing after the first 15 minutes. I just didn't think I could take 8 hours of sparklies, flashing lights, and one endless **** scene after another.( I was hoping to find a flyswatter to use on the fairy ) Maybe it was because I had just finished Raincliff and was spoiled by the sophisticated game play. I might try again with the SE, but with other games to play like Dark Dimensions, it seems unlikely.

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on May 19, 11 5:17 AM
Nice intro. Good Graphics. At first I thought uh oh, find x amount of something is usually a turn off for me especially right at the beginning. But as i played on thats the only irritating place for me so far. Multiple items in the Find item scenes but they are usable most of the time, thank goodness. Im not so cracy about some of the repititious puzzles but they fit the story line and the theme so thats . bearable you can skip if you care to. The SG doesnt give much help in some instances but you can usually work out the solution. I waited so long for a game this week that after i noticed the length I bought without demoing. I can say i am not sorry. I can play a while and rest in between, come back to it later. I have to make it last. Well, i guess thats all folks. Happy gaming.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on May 19, 11 5:46 AM
Perhaps I will purchase the SE when it comes out, but there's no way I would pay CE price for a very poor SG on top of having to listen to that annoying fairy. She was the only thing I didn't like about the first game. Pretty, and nice standard fairy tale story, but with the annoying fairy and the poor SG, it's not worth it at all, IMO. Oh, almost forgot...those irritating light flashes are really not important to the story, and I'd be quite happy without them.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on May 19, 11 6:25 AM
I'm usually pretty positive about GOGII offerings, and I'll stay positive about this one, but with some misgivings. Much the same storyline as the first go-round, except this time things seem a little darker (not color-wise, but theme-wise). HUGE D/L--maybe that promises a nice long game! The intro was a bit herky-jerky on my system (which meets specs); the options menu has all the niceties, including a "handicap" for "slower" computers (how would you know?).

Music and sound effects are nicely done (except for the "Ta-Da" when completing a scene--unnecessary). And the flashing white lights belong in an arcade photo booth, not in this kind of game! The graphics range from crisp and colorful to fuzzy and indistinct. The hidden-object scenes aren't much of a challenge, but our trusty hint fairy is there when you need her, sounding just like Alvin the Chipmunk! She does provide other "what-to-do" hints also.

The Strategy Guide is different--mostly narrative--click on a sentence--need more help?--click on the next sentence--you'll eventually get to a solve; not what most of us are used to. In the casual mode, there are "swirling butterflies" to show places to explore, and directional arrows for moving about.

Yes, I purchased the CE--looking forward to getting further into the game (the demo so far)--I understand there's quite a bit of journeying to do--now, just to avoid those flashing lights!

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on May 19, 11 6:25 AM
The reviews of this game till now are rather harsh IMO.I have finished the entire game allready, and must say its a very enjoyable and great game. Not perfect, but definitely 4 out of 5 stars.

I agree that the navigation can be a bit unclear at the beginning and that there is a LOT happening on the screen every time (including those unnecessary light-flashes) but its something you get used to during the game.

What i loved about this game:
- Great graphics...I dont get the people who say these are blurry, they might be busy but they are as clear as can be. They are the kind of advanced ones that MCF 13th skull had, very pixelised and detailed. Maybe you have to get used to it a bit.
- Great, original puzzles: Not the same-old memory / jigsaw / pipe-line puzzles you see in most HOG-games, but new ones you really have to use your brain for (although the instructions could be more clear sometimes)
- Not only you get a fairy that helps you, but later on you get a little dragon to help you. His voice is cuter and not so annoying as that of the fairy, but first of all the inclusion of these two 'helpers' lends something extra to the gameplay: you can use these creatures to burn, lift and water things for example.
- Contrary to other people here, i really liked the 'strategy guide' because it gives you the opportunity to only check out a small part of a certain hint / solution, instead of giving away the entire game allready. So its sort of interactive in that way: you pick on what level you want to be helped.
- A very nice bonus-level: it was a bit different then the rest of the gameplay, almost like the game 'Azada'. You have to change certain things in fairytales to get further in the game. It wasnt a really long bonus-level, but i enjoyed it a lot.

My main complaint is that i thought the (regular) game could have been longer. You only visit each Hog-scene 1 time. Maybe they could have changed that into 2 times or ad some extra Hog-scenes (there really arent that many in this game), or they could have explored some extra parts in forrest. Somehow it feels that you end up at the castle, a bit TOO quickly.
It took me about 5 hours to play the game, including the bonus level and i played most puzzles and barely used a hint. 7-8 hours is more 'suitable' for a collectors edition IMO.

Anyway, despite the game could have been a bit longer, i enjoyed the gameplay immensely, making it one of the best IHOG-games of this year so far IMO.

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on May 19, 11 6:37 AM
Was looking forward to demoing a new CE. But this game was disappointing after 5 minutes. Don't like the constant interruption by the fairy giving unnecessary pointers. Will keep waiting....

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on May 19, 11 6:41 AM
I did not like the game at all took me all of five minutes to decide certainly not a game for me, I did not like the music the way the game was formatted it was all funny music and flashing lights where was the story line. There was so much colour on the screen it was confusing where does one start. It may suit others people but not for me ans such a large game file over 800 mb

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on May 19, 11 6:43 AM
I did not like the game at all took me all of five minutes to decide certainly not a game for me, I did not like the music the way the game was formatted it was all funny music and flashing lights where was the story line. There was so much colour on the screen it was confusing where does one start. It may suit others people but not for me ans such a large game file over 800 mb

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on May 19, 11 7:09 AM
This is a comment!

Well, after nearly 4 hours, this game has finally installed - so!!

Just a few things before I depart:

1) The 's have got to me! After nearly posting the same thing 3 times (which I see has happened to others) they have won! I'm going to play!

2) The slow loading, the oops! the page not found! the weird way I cannot see my 'bit' at the side of the forum! I'm going.....to play this game!

3) For those of you wondering about the SG. If you click on the 'first sentence' another sentence with a further suggestion will appear. Just keep clicking until you have enough hints or suggestions to carry on, or just keep clicking and the whole 'what you have to do' will appear.

Th.. th.. th.. that's all folks!

By the way: GogiiGrace is in the building (looking for feedback) - Good or Bad

Kel

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on May 19, 11 7:09 AM
Too many glitches, too much of the fairy talking has made me decide this game is a no buy for me. Disappointing but I'll continue on with the games I have already bought and haven't played yet.

Faylyn

[Post New]by CaptainLanta on May 19, 11 7:14 AM
Personally, I didn't have a problem with bright 'flashing' lights or anything like that. After playing so many gritty games with unenthusiastic, pseudo-realistic atmospheres, it was a nice change.

I loved all of the different fantasy elements that popped up throughout the game, and the CE content was so satisfying! I can't imagine only playing the SE and not getting that content ... it feels so necessary to the overall storyline, going forward.

The graphics were amazingly beautiful and I like the music quite a lot. The puzzles were challenging - some way more than others - and some hidden/fragmented objects actually required some thought or searching to put together and find. I enjoyed that; too many games these days guide the player with handholding, baby steps and completely linear gameplay. It's nice to actually have to explore to progress; makes me feel like I earned something!

Could have done with a much better voice for the fairy - or just the dragon as a helper, period. But considering I can stop her from talking just by clicking her pop-up dialogue as soon as I'm done reading it, I was fine enough with it.

Overall ... loved it! Can't wait for what will hopefully be another game in the series!

Go to: