lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by lisam63 on May 26, 11 5:23 AM
so many good games ....so little money
i normally don't read CE reviews but i LoVe the MM series.....

off to check it out ...
i really feel we have certainly been getting alot of great games here lately ...

but, i would like to see a good M3 come out soon

anyway , back to this game.......this one definetely has my interest ..could this be my first CE purchase ?????
would like to know about bonus content first if anyone has gotten there yet ..
ty

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by mcquigan on May 26, 11 6:01 AM
Good graphics, an interesting story,
But, a dialogue choice; you have to choose what you will say.

Edited on 05/26/2011 at 6:02:16 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on May 26, 11 6:11 AM
Hey CasualGran--Is that really you? A ? Hope you're back to stay for awhile with your spot-on Cs & Rs! So you're not a big fan of CEs--I must say, though, that this one has it all over some of the recent weak attempts ("Dream Chronicles" books, e.g.). Glad you rated this !

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on May 26, 11 6:17 AM
Loved the demo, and this will definitely be a buy for me, as others have already noted. The graphics, sound effects and animation are great, and yes, there was one scene that startled the heck out of me. I exited out after playing initially, went back in and then was able to see the options screen, which I somehow missed when starting the game (it starts with an amazing intro cutscene).The options are for music and sound, screen size and animated cursor (which I did not try). I liked the fact that from the opening screen you could go right into a bonus room, and click on concept art (before and after scenes, plus characters) and wallpapers (with a choice of screen size for them, that's a very nice feature). The area includes a door that states "Do not open" so you probably need to complete the game to enter that area. The opening screen also lets you into the Achievement Room. There is bonus content that can't be opened until the game is completed. Slightly disappointed that there was no voice for the characters in the game (unlike Salem Witch Trial, I wonder why they did not continue that feature?). So far appears to be another great game in the Midnight Mysteries series.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on May 26, 11 6:41 AM
Comments based on Finished Game:

The graphics were wonderful and comparable to the first two games in the series. I left on all of the sounds and music as they were paced well with the game. It has a lot of special effects which I found really enjoyable. As others have mentioned sometimes these were accompanied by flashing of lights. They were bright but not as bright to me as some of the other games.

The story is as extremely well developed as their other games.

There were not a lot of H0 scenes and they do not repeat during SE game play. The lists are random so it can be replayed.

It had a lot of mini games and a few puzzles. I did not find a way to repeat the game instructions. When I missed a couple I had to resort to the strategy guide. They will also reset if you exit and return.

The Raven hint is very prominent and because of that it is likely to get clicked by accident while searching for more ravens within dark scenes. I had to be careful several times not to hit it. I also thought the ravens within the scenes seemed a little more fake looking than I remember in the other games.

Main game took approx. 3 ½ hrs to play. I used no hints and skipped nothing. I did manage to find 70 clovers. I consulted the guide a couple of times for mini game instructions, though. Bonus Chapter added about another 1hr 15min. I did skip 1 mini game in Bonus section. There is also another mini search similar to the Salem Witch Trials game.

My opinion: Even this couldn't topple Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials from it's place as my favorite game of all time. It was not quite up to the other two games because it was significantly shorter given that the other two were not CEs. I did not personally find about half of the mini games particularly fun. This game is still among one of the best, though.

Note: I have given details to help folks gauge how much play time they might have, not to compete. I think that I am about an average player time wise usually based on comparing my playtime with others.

Oops sorry, edited to add note and because I miscalculated Bonus time.

Edited on 05/26/2011 at 3:39:34 PM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 26, 11 6:50 AM
The opening scene scared me so much I had to get it. LOL. Just played for 15 minutes and was hooked. Looks like an awesome game. Graphics are top notch, clear, crisp and sharp and so far hidden object scenes aren't junk piles. The sound effects and animation are unbelievable. This is a great game for a dark rainy day. ........uh I just looked out the window and it is a bright sunny day. Oh well its a great game for no matter what kind of a day. Everyone enjoy. I know I will.

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on May 26, 11 6:58 AM
HI Everyone

Overall, the game is very well done, at least what I saw during the demo. I didn't like that there was only option of play( no hard mode), but I enjoyed playing the game all the same. The HOG scenes are well done, no junkpiles, and I love the animation and cut scenes, especially the one that began the game. The music is nice, the graphics are excellent, and the playability is very high.

I finished about 20 percent of the game during the demo, which probably means this game runs on the shorter side. The puzzles are good, but I only encountered two. I would encourage everyone to try the game and then devide if it is worth the CE price. Personally, I will wait for the regular version of this game. Usually when I play CE editions I am compelled to buy them, but for some reason, this one is not grabbing me and saying "Buy ME!", which is a shame because I really want a new game to play. Oh well, a rest for my wallet, but this game will appeal to many people who loved Salem witch trials, but that one is a better game than this one.

My grade system:

Gameplay: B
Music: B
Graphics: A
HOG scenes: B+
Mode of Gameplay( Hard Mode?):n/a

My Overall Grade- B

[Post New]by satexasgirl on May 26, 11 7:37 AM
I am absolutely in love with this series and this game in particular. Mark Twain has long been one of my favorite authors and I loved clicking on the ghosts and reading some of his more popular quotes. It would have been really cool to have voice overs with that southern drawl a lot of people use when playing him. I had no technical issues at all (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. It actually filled my widescreen (1366 x 768 resolution) Graphics are excellent, the story compelling, and I got a start at least twice in the hour I played because something unexpected happened. The game is a definite buy for me. I was also pleasantly surprised that we got a full hour demo instead of a sample version as most CE's tend to be. Have fun, y'all.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on May 26, 11 7:43 AM
I really wanted to like this game but it didn't happen for me. Once you get passed the fancy effects the game play itself is so-so. I might use a credit, but I wouldn't buy the CE. Just didn't grab me.

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on May 26, 11 8:01 AM
Gorgeous, beautiful and amazing, and I was so excited to see it. I love the gameplay and the storyline is good and spooky, but I'm having several technical problems with the game so won't be buying it at the moment. I'm a sad little elf.

csmith116
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by csmith116 on May 26, 11 8:18 AM

would like to know about bonus content first if anyone has gotten there yet ..
ty

I too am interested in buying this game but do not have enough credits so wonder if the additional bonus material is worth the extra cost? Bought my first CE game this month and was shocked at how much was there on Mystery Trackers: Raincliff. I have heard some games do not have that much additional game time. I have no interest in the wallpapers or soundtracks, only game time.
Would love to hear your comments on the additional game time.
Bessie Mae

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 26, 11 9:14 AM
I have loved the previous Midnight Mysteries game, but I don`t like this game very much. The graphic are not very special in my opinion, too many dialogues, the hogscenes are not very well done. Overall a no buy for me - maybe as the standard version, but I am not sure yet

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on May 26, 11 9:53 AM
First issue with the game that made me want to not buy it: Idiotic cut scene that lasted minutes and couldn't be skipped.

Second issue that makes me want to not buy it: Helpful "tips" via some sort of tutorial system that cannot be skipped. If I want tips or hints, I'll ask for them. I don't want the game to try to intuitively guess whether I'm scratching my nose or in need of help.

Third issue that made me not want to buy it: The stupid log book popping open at random intervals. If I want to read what's in there, I'll open it myself.

All in all, this seems like a "nanny" game. I don't enjoy nanny games. I don't play nanny games. I want to play the game at my own pace and figure things out by myself.

I don't mind if they have all those things I've listed above - but I want it to be an option, not a requirement.

Edited on 05/26/2011 at 10:00:15 AM PST

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on May 26, 11 10:21 AM
had the oppurtunity to beta test this one and I have been looking forward to it coming out ever since. I'll buy this. great game.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on May 26, 11 10:57 AM
Sigh. Sheer bliss.

Two words to start with: Mumbo Jumbo. They provide high-quality games in every possible way.

One of the things about their games: they're literate. Very. I love how they work in special aspects, such as The Tempest and relate it to the game.

Mumbo Jumbo provides intriquing story lines, beautiful graphics, well-designed gameplay, good music and special effects, and, as an extra fillip, wit. It's obvious that the designers take the trouble to create a game that relates to a literary person, like Poe or Twain, and they do so with absolute understanding, knowledge and mastery of their topic. That's rare in the gaming world.

Substance. They provide substance on every level of this game--and they make it fun.

I knew from the opening that I'd be buying the game ASAP, but I played for a few minutes anyway. At 44 minutes left in the demo, I knew I couldn't stand not owning it, and definitely couldn't stand getting interrupted later on if I hadn't bought it.

Usually I don't care about wallpaper, but this game offers great wallpapers. I'm installing the raven one. I'm also enjoying looking for the clovers, and, of course, our good friend, the ravens.

Sigh. Don't beam me up, Scotty. I'm happy on the Mississippi with Twain.

Bless you, Mumbo Jumbo!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 26, 11 11:02 AM
It's a buy, it's a buy, it's a buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Loved the other ones and love this one, nice and creepy, beautiful graphics, music fits to the game, interesting story, played 20 minutes and really had to fight to quit the game as I got so involved, love it

One little snag, I've 2 filled punch cards, May 26th...., I will never find 3 other games worth buying before the end of the month and I will never be able to wait during 5 days before playing it, "to buy or not to buy, that is the question"

Casualgran : what happened to you ?????

[Post New]by SIRSLIMMYEEL on May 26, 11 11:16 AM
All right! All right already!!! I'm downloading as we swim. I usually have a certian amount of $$$ I spend each month but I just shot that all to . when my bill comes in I'll just tell my spouse it was all your fault you twisted my fin so hard I couldn't resist. Actually I like all of the CE's, I have found that some of the games I like you have to buy the other part that tells you what to do. And I love a good mystery HOGs or no HOGs.

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by frostledge on May 26, 11 11:52 AM
After playing for 34 minutes, I'm still undecided. The intro I thought was cool and different, not the usual blah blah blah intro. Once the game began, it reminded me of another game, maybe Poe? that started with the ghost in the office and the fireplace and you had to click through the convo. Had to find ravens and clovers.... Can't exactly recall..... Anyone else get that feeling? It was like Deja Vu. Game was neat, but hasn't grabbed me except for a scene with bats. I do not like bats......

Will play out the remainder, but will have to wait and see. I could see getting the CE because of the length of time for the bonus as I could care less about wallpapers, etc. Just give me more play time!!!

Interesting concepts, but maybe my tastes are changing. Just didn't seem challenging enough to me.

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on May 26, 11 12:02 PM
I am just as thrilled as everyone else that a game that grabs my interest has finally arrived. I have spent more time reading your comments, chats, rants, etc. then I have actually playing. So entertaining. The diet of TM's we have been getting have been at the starvation level, or at least undigestable.So, since I am half HOGlover and half TMlover, I'm good.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on May 26, 11 12:25 PM
Thank you, Mumbo Jumbo for another wonderful, well-done game! Bravo! This too, will be a classic and one which we use for comparison.

The story involves another literary great - Samuel Clemens, better known as Mark Twain. And immediately we are pulled into a mystery...why is he being haunted? And what could he possibly have to do with Shakespeare? The story is another well-woven, highly developed one, with real people, real places and great suspense.

The music, graphics, fx, all come together nicely and they didn't kill the mood by doing voiceovers (thank you!). The overall gameplay was very smooth, the custom cursor worked well in the hidden object scenes, the cursor "flashed" when in the correct area to place an object and transitions between scenes was very smooth. I believe only one H0 scene was repeated (the trading post) and that was near the end of the game. The H0 scenes were clean and it was easy to distinguish the objects. The puzzles and mini-games were unique takes on some standard puzzles and games that I found quite enjoyable. Not really too hard and not too easy. (Continued)

Edited on 05/26/2011 at 3:00:20 PM PST

Go to: