Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nancy Drew: The Trail of the Twister

[Post New]by Masanders on May 26, 11 7:46 PM
Pinkcritter wrote:I, too, used to love playing the Nancy Drew games. I have left a couple of these games "unfinished" (especially the later ones) because of the arcade type mini games. The reason I loved ND games to begin with was because they were a real adventure game where I had to think, search for clues and figure it all out! If I had wanted to play so many mini games I would have purchased arcade games!!! I am NOT coordinated or fast enough to master some of the mini games - VERY fustrating indeed! Tis a crying shame as I do (did) love the ND games and WAS buying them up as soon as they came out - not so anymore!

Hi, I am not a newbie to BF games - been a member and playing for a few years now! Before BFG I played numerous adventure games, my very first being "Myst" (oops I think my actual first game was "Full Throttle" - lots of action but DOable action!)
I have to second those thoughts about the ND games getting too difficult to finish. Those timed segments always do me in and I am forced to quit the game unfinished. Even with a walkthrough, I am so stressed by the time I get though that (timed) section of the game I am no longer having fun playing it.

I remember (and wish I could play again) Myst, but alas there is no version that works on Vista. Full Throttle was an excellent game with humorous asides by the hero. I loved it! Some of my earliest games were 7th Guest and 11th Hour, both difficult but fun games. Kinda makes me wish I had kept a computer for each operating system, so that I could play every game over again, using the correct computer.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 26, 11 9:58 PM
I was so happy to see this released on BF today. I was hoping they would be getting more of the HerInteractive games. Definitely a purchase for me. DD and I played the demo that was on the developer's site and while it isn't as scary and indepth as some of the other ND games, such as Shadow at the Water's Edge, it is still a good game. Thank you so much BF!! Please keep the ND games coming...especially the new one that is coming out in June!

[Post New]by davids_gurl05 on May 27, 11 10:12 AM
I agree with the some of these people. I live in arkansas, and a couple years back a tornado came, took my house, and almost my father. It's a scary experience to go through, but it's not like they are making fun of it, or anything of that nature. I think I'm gonna really like this game. Please pray for the people in Joplin Missouri, families are still missing loved ones.

devolyn
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by devolyn on May 27, 11 1:47 PM
So glad to see another Nancy Drew game come out! I have been waiting with baited breath! Thanks BFG!!

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on May 27, 11 2:18 PM
Masander google Myst for Vista-I bought it recently.It wasn't too expensive either.

[Post New]by Dinointhesun on May 27, 11 3:36 PM
I just love ND games - but this one left me empty. But the next one called Shadow at the Water's Edge is excellant. Just wish BF would come out with these games a tad sooner. Happy game playing!!!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 28, 11 1:03 AM
Dinointhesun wrote:I just love ND games - but this one left me empty. But the next one called Shadow at the Water's Edge is excellant. Just wish BF would come out with these games a tad sooner. Happy game playing!!!

yes, have to agree that water's edge is a completely awesome experience!

unfortunately, the developer has some say in where they sell their product and when, so the ND games are sometimes a little slow to get to BFG because 'they' want to market their product on their own for a bit and make two to three times the dough! it's all about the in retail...

i was lucky and was able to pick that one up with a special offer, but it was still twice what i would pay here and their CS team - the right and left hands weren't on the same page when i had an issue... so i will probably pass on any other special offers they e-mail me on account of i don't really care to do business with folks that don't appreciate the concept of actual service for the customer...

always treats me like i count and tries to help me whenever i have a problem with something, which is rare, but the point is: they are there for me!

i still think it's kinda funny that they haven't released shadow ranch, yet, to other distributors... but since it was pretty much their number one game for a while... now that's a game BFG should get their hands on!

happy sleuthing!

tuskel
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by tuskel on May 28, 11 3:38 AM
ember89 wrote:
i still think it's kinda funny that they haven't released shadow ranch, yet, to other distributors... but since it was pretty much their number one game for a while... now that's a game BFG should get their hands on!

Her Interactive is selling a Collector's Edition Fan Favourites at the moment - three popular games (Treasure in the Royal Tower, Curse of Blackmoor Manor and - surprise - Secret of Shadow Ranch) plus an exclusive journal, all in a tin. And on top of that, they have Shadow Ranch iPhone/iPad game now, so understandably they want to keep it to themselves for a bit more.

I bought my copy off one of the big online retailers, either A or e, for a penny (plus postage), because I just couldn't wait anymore. It is a good game, and I would buy it here again, to have all my ND games in one place.

tuskel,
sincerely

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on May 28, 11 8:48 AM
I love Nancy Drew and bought it ASAP using the coupon code. I so love all her games, except for the Dossier one which was a bit dorky. But I downloaded it already and can't wait to start. Have some early morning things to take care of first.

[Post New]by charbob on May 28, 11 1:12 PM
My first try at a Nancy Drew and I Dislike it very much. Not user friendly. No instructions on what to do.
I wish I could get my money back on this one.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 29, 11 4:21 AM
Charbob: It looks like you did not find the instructions. First of all, there is a tutorial right at the menu screen how to interact with the game - Nancy directs you to it.

If you play it in Junior Mode there is a checklist (third icon from the left in the lower left corner). Refer to that for the tasks to do.

For your first instructions enter the house and you will immediately see a note attached to the pole of the stairs. You will receive some tasks, look around the house for those.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on May 29, 11 9:13 AM
As one who has purchased all of the ND games from the HER interactive site, this one was another winner, though not my favorite. It was for me, not as challenging or interesting, as many of her others. Still a great game though, and for the price offered here, one can not beat that! All I can say is... I paid a whole lot more!

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on May 29, 11 9:32 AM
ember89 wrote:i still think it's kinda funny that they haven't released shadow ranch, yet, to other distributors... but since it was pretty much their number one game for a while... now that's a game BFG should get their hands on!

happy sleuthing!

I was talking to someone at a couple years ago about Shadow and they were supposed to be working on it then to release here. I guess HI changed their minds.

[Post New]by Trishasmom on May 29, 11 11:11 AM
Masanders wrote:
Pinkcritter wrote:

I remember (and wish I could play again) Myst, but alas there is no version that works on Vista.

I loved Myst. I still have the game but as you said it won't let me play on vista or win 7. Hidden objects were fun until they started putting them in every game. I like the pure adventure games and wish they would come out with more of them. I buy very few games now because even the adventure games have turned into hidden object games. We have a genre for hidden object and adventure why do they keep crossing them over? Once in a while would be ok but geez they go overboard. JMHO

csmith116
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by csmith116 on May 30, 11 9:48 AM
tuskel wrote:
Annietano wrote:Sorry, but the timing on this one couldn't be worse given what Oklahoma and other Midwest/Southern states are waking up to lately. I just can't get behind playing a game about something so real and devastating. I appologize for using this forum to express that.

I hear what you are saying, but the game is addressing the issue - they are trying to research the hurricanes to prevent them, or at least develop a reliable system for forecasting them. And there is one character who has lost a person close to him thanks to hurricanes. It's good to bring these issues out to the public, where lots of people who never experience the devastation can start sympathizing. I've never seen a real hurricane, but I must say, after playing this game I feel differently about them. Before I was quite indifferent - yeah, there are these things, but they are far away and don't concern me, you know.

I agree about the timing.

tuskel,
sincerely

I lived in Oklahoma during the May 3rd tornado and learned a lot. Maybe this game will show some of the things needed to survive (emotionally) these events. On sale I will buy it just to see and I HATE ND games. I learned one major thing that was NEVER addressed, even on the news, have a land line phone. Not a portable but one you actually plug into the wall. No power means no portable phones and when cell towers go down (and they did and do), no way to contact family to tell them you are okay and for you to check on them.
Thanks for letting me share. I live through hurricanes in Florida and would rather deal with them than tornadoes and ice storms Oklahoma gets.
Bessie Mae

[Post New]by yiddell67 on May 31, 11 10:21 AM
This game is too aggravating. I have enough stress in real life without this! I deleted it and regret spending money on it. I used tio be a big ND fan, but the last couple are not up to par.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on May 31, 11 4:39 PM
I absolutely loved this game and found it to be one of the easier ones for me. I played it through twice. Loved driving through town and talking to Pa. I agree that having the option to skip some of these games would be beneficial especially when it keeps you from completing a game but I found all of the mini games here to be doable. I haven't played all of the ND games yet but plan on it soon. And....the ending will have you holding your breath.

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Jun 1, 11 3:24 AM
Disappointed...
Having played most the Nancy Drew games to date, I have to say this was one of my least favourite for the following reasons:

Too short- there is very little to solve and it felt like the developers were trying to spread out an already shortened story.
Repetetive and boring puzzles- There were just not enough puzzles to solve and the ones you did have to solve were repeated several times during the game. I was sick to death of the 'mouse trapping' puzzle, there was only ONE arcade game with very little variation and the 'circuit board connecting' puzzle was dull.
"Go to bed Nancy!"- I can't tell you how much that annoyed me! No sooner than you have started the day and done a few tasks, than you are told that it is 'bed time'! True- you can still go out and do other things, but it seems that as soon as you have completed the main tasks that move along the storyline that the day has to end in order to move to the next part of the story.
There is NO clock or indication to show time passing- I like knowing the time in the game and being able to set the alarm for midnight and sneak round the house!
Driving- I HATE, repeat, HATE driving Nancy round. Did you not learn your mistake from Ransom of the Seven Ships? It's not as though there are any fun locations to go to apart from 'Ma and Pa's' shop. Plus it's a HUGE driving area for no reason!
Lack of Nancy's bedroom- Part of the fun in ND games is looking around Nancy's bedroom, finding clues, recieving messages from under the door, changing your outfit, eavesdropping through to the next room, waking up in the middle of the night or just being able to hold a private phone conversation which you DON'T have to go outside for! I can't believe the dev's didn't include Nancy's bedroom! Total wasted opportunity to add more liveliness to this game!
Limited ways to find coins- There are only 3 ways to get coins in this game: building circuits, playing the arcade game or finding the odd penny here and there. LIMITED and REPETITIVE!
Only 2 people to talk to on the phone, and none of them Bess, George or Ned! and NO phone hints!!

This game was ok, but unfortunately I found more faults and frustrations than actual enjoyment. I give it a grudging out of 5.

nerdynana
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by nerdynana on Jun 4, 11 10:01 AM
joyzebra wrote:You can demo the game on the developers site. I tried it a while ago and disliked it because I couldn't get pass the mini car game. I have several ND games I could not complete because there were some scenes I could not win (catching sheep in one, dancing in another) so no more ND for me. I wish they had a skip option.

I agree re the skip option. And I'm really disappointed in this game. I found it to be tedious at best and undoable at worst...the video camera number placement thing?...WTF? Anyhow, I've had enough bad experiences with ND games to override the good and doubt if I will buy any more.

nerdynana
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by nerdynana on Jun 4, 11 10:12 AM
yiddell67 wrote:This game is too aggravating. I have enough stress in real life without this! I deleted it and regret spending money on it. I used tio be a big ND fan, but the last couple are not up to par.

Yeah! I agree...

Go to: